Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Hey fellow runners... just checking in. I ran my first 10K race on April Fool's day and finished with a time of 53:23, which was good enough for 2nd in my age group and 21 of 90 overall. I felt good throughout and happy with the results. Now back to my HM training, which is now less than 2 weeks away on 4/22. I've noticed when running in warmer temps that I need some additional hydration during my long runs

Have a great week everyone!

Huge congrats on your time, this is an amazing achievement!

Also, HM is a great challenge. Can I ask how long you've been training? I have a 10K booked in for June and would love to get a half ticked off my list to!

• SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yesterday I did a Week 10 Day 1 which is 50 minutes of running broken into 5 intervals with progressively minute longer walk breaks between.

I'm having issues with my calves.

This is disappointing since I thought my calf seizing was conquered for good about 3/4 of the way through my 5k training. Guess not.

Maybe I need to be more diligent with breaking out the foam roller.

Advice would be welcome. :)
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden that is an amazing time! Congrats and best wishes for a great Half for you!
  • woodwardtm
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 (or Week 14 if you want to look at it that way) for me. It was rough. 5 days ago I was being pelted with ice and snow on my run. Today it was 75. I didn't adjust very well and it seemed like a struggle but...it is complete.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Skipper111 and @woodwardtm -- thanks for the shout out! :smile:

@Skipper111 --- I am doing the Run Double Half Marathon Event Training, which is 12 weeks... rundouble.com/plans/HME -- I started the last week of December, but I stretched it out a little by either repeating a couple weeks or doing some lighter runs the weeks of races... I did a 5K at the end of February and then the 10K on 4/1. I also had my calf act up ( @SierraFatToSkinny you are not alone!) in mid-March, so took a couple extra rest days, etc. Here is a history of my running plan... rundouble.com/user/111538294254011345422/hzroEnb0

@SierraFatToSkinny -- on the calf issue, I have found that foam rolling, self massage (deep), hydration, biofreeze, and wearing a calf compression sleeve have helped me the most in dealing with that. I had a grade 2 strain in my left calf last fall and, while I gave it plenty of time to heal before running again, it still seems to be more sensitive and prone to aches and pains.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Week 5 (aka Week 14 complete) It was cooler today, about 60F so today's speedwork went much better than yesterday's run in the 75F sun. Summer is coming so I will have to learn to run early or adjust to the heat/humidity, right?
    Keep pushing through, everyone!
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Week 6, D1 of Active 5Kto10K complete.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I'm barely running any at all, just riding my bike.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    woodwardtm wrote: »
    @upsaluki Are you ok? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Yep I finally got out today after about a two week layoff. My wife was away for a week, and then I had some missed deadlines at work getting in the way. Next week I travel for a work trip, but I scoped out some running paths in a few of the towns I'm going to stay in. I'm hoping I can get out and get some more miles in.

P.S. You're really tearing it up. Great job.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Great job!

I'm barely running any at all, just riding my bike.

I like seeing those bike rides in strava!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I just finished my 5k210k in pretty grand fashion today. I was able to plot ribbing in two states in one day. https://www.strava.com/activities/946986319/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1492486227
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Got my first session in today using Vandersoft's 10kRun app. 4x10min w/ 1min breaks in between intervals. My pace isn't great because my heartrate is still higher than I'd really like it to be when I'm running, about 12min/mi. I'm really hoping to get that straightened out over the coming weeks. I think it's in part due to hitting the pause button on my c25k for a couple of months mid-stream when I was injured. I've really only been back to running for about 4 weeks now.

Sierra, I use compression sleeves on my calves after each run, and I've begun taking the compression a step further using floss bands as well. I'm also doing some kind of ankle mobility work at least 3 days per week, every day on run days, and that's helped a ton with lengthening my calves. I'm also a Kelly Starrett fanboy, and I'd recommend picking up his book Ready To Run which addresses running mechanics, recovery, and a variety of exercises to test your body's preparedness for running.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    I just finished my 5k210k in pretty grand fashion today. I was able to plot ribbing in two states in one day. https://www.strava.com/activities/946986319/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1492486227

Great job Terry! Congrats! What was the spike in elevation between mile 4-5? Great pace!
  • woodwardtm
    Options

Congrats! Proud of you for sticking with this for so long! Keep on running, my friend!
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Week 6, D3 done (also known as Week 15)
  • upsaluki
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

Great job Terry! Congrats! What was the spike in elevation between mile 4-5? Great pace!

There was a climb to get from the riverside up to the second bridge. I'm guessing that was it.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Week 11 Day 1

Three intervals of 15 minutes.

I ran two 13 minute miles!!! The third was 16 mins. :) (My hip started aching and I realized I was taking turns too sharply while running on a small track.)
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    woodwardtm wrote: »
    Today's run was a 50 minute steady run that I was not mentally prepared for. I decided to try it and if it didn't happen, I was planning to redo the run later in the week. I am happy to say that it went well and I got 5.5 miles in. Woot!

Amazing run!!!

Can't wait to be able to do this distance :-D