Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Skipper111 wrote: »
    woodwardtm wrote: »
    Today's run was a 50 minute steady run that I was not mentally prepared for. I decided to try it and if it didn't happen, I was planning to redo the run later in the week. I am happy to say that it went well and I got 5.5 miles in. Woot!

Amazing run!!!

Can't wait to be able to do this distance :-D

@Skipper111 Keep up the good work and you will get there! If I can do it with bad knees, anyone with determination can do it, too.
  • woodwardtm
    W7, D1 complete. Trying to squeeze my runs in around the rain that is coming this week.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    W9d2 in the books.

If I'm going to make the 10k in 60 minutes I'm gonna need to be sub-10min/mi, so I'm trying to push pace starting now. Finished my run-walk intervals at about 3.9mi for 44 minutes, roughly 11:15 per. Did the last of my run intervals at around a 10min/mi pace. I'm pretty encouraged that at the end of my run I was able to get to a pace that will get me close to what will be necessary 4 weeks from now. Who knows if that's a sustainable pace for the whole distance, almost certainly not, and there's no way I'm managing that for a ~60% longer distance than I ran today, but still I'm encouraged.

Thursday and Friday are my 2 consecutive off days and I'm considering going on Friday to see if I can run an 8 minute mile just for *kitten* and giggles.
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    I have just done my longest run! Thank you guys for all your encouragement!

Had a week off so I was dreading it but I ended up doing 50 minutes straight which is a PB :-D

Tomorrow is not going to be pretty :-/
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    I was able to get six miles in today. There was a trail along the river right by my hotel
  • woodwardtm
    Week 7, Day 2 complete (aka Week 16). I have the worst run on speedwork day. The speedwork exhausts me and then I end up walking when I shouldn't at times. I try to keep the walk to 30 seconds or less but it frustrates me that I get so exhausted from maximum effort.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    Thursday and Friday are my 2 consecutive off days and I'm considering going on Friday to see if I can run an 8 minute mile just for *kitten* and giggles.
    So, about that... 7:58.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Week 7, Day 2 complete (aka Week 16). I have the worst run on speedwork day. The speedwork exhausts me and then I end up walking when I shouldn't at times. I try to keep the walk to 30 seconds or less but it frustrates me that I get so exhausted from maximum effort.

Keep at it. It'll pay off.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2017
    Week 11 Day 3

25 min run, 5 min walk, 15 min run.

I feel like this isn't much different than my C25K runs.

I took the dogs out with me! My new dog isn't the best with staying near me and at one point he disappeared for a scary 5 mins. After that I made sure to talk to him when he was thinking about running off... that worked, he listened and would come trotting back.

My calves can't seem to quit aching. I think my ankles are weak and I've recently been scared of injuring them.

Here are some pictures! The black dog is nearing 8 years old. Very sweet girl. The working line German Shepherd is under 2 and he is much harder to take a picture of. :D

oebzydxsgjc0.png
    gqisnxdbw39h.png
    0t0ezop6ekln.png
    7dr446daj3zd.jpg

• woodwardtm
    I did Week 8 (aka 17), Day 1 yesterday and Week 7, Day 3 today. Today was the long run. 55 minutes of steady run and 5 minute warmup and cool down. I made it to 6 miles today in my hour and 5 minutes! That is the furthest I have ever run on my own before. I did a 7 mile race 3 or 4 years ago but nothing like it since that time.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Hi everybody. I'll be starting Week 9 day 1 on Monday Lord willing and the creek don't rise. :-) I look forward to cheering everybody on!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    I did Week 8 (aka 17), Day 1 yesterday and Week 7, Day 3 today. Today was the long run. 55 minutes of steady run and 5 minute warmup and cool down. I made it to 6 miles today in my hour and 5 minutes! That is the furthest I have ever run on my own before. I did a 7 mile race 3 or 4 years ago but nothing like it since that time.

Great job and nice pace too!
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2017
    Well... I was supposed to do Week 11 Day 3 which was 25 mins running, 3 min walk, then 15 mins running.

I hit 25 minutes and I decided to just continue until I hit 2 miles and then I figured I'd stop. Well... then I thought another minute or so and I'll be at 30 minutes running.

Then I thought... well... I'm on a downhill right now... might as well run down it and then I can walk at the uphill.

... Then I thought I might as well continue for another 5 minutes and hit the 40 allotted running minutes required for the day.

Annnnnd then I thought I might as well go for 3 miles.

And then... well... I was at another downhill.

And then I thought... I might as just do a whole hour!

And then I thought I should just go for 4 miles. :D

So... I ran 4 miles in just over an hour. I kept a slow and steady pace over rolling hills.

I'm conflicted now... the program I'm using caps out at 60 mins. I'm thinking I might just download a 10K pacer app and use that until I can actually hit 10K in under an hour. Then move onto training for a half marathon.

What do you guys think??

EDIT: I calculated it up... it has taken me 70 days to get to the point where I'm able to run for over an hour.

The body is an amazing thing.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    @SierraFatToSkinny The more you run, the faster you will get. I would run a few 10k races, keep running 3 to 4 days a week, then find a half marathon you want to do and register for it. Find a training plan that you like and start your half training 12 - 20 weeks before your half (depending on the plan and how long you want to be in training).

Great job so far!

@rusgolden Love the medal! That's an awesome time!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    @SierraFatToSkinny --- agree with @Just_Ceci (Thanks BTW!). Maybe look for an app/plan that goes by distance instead of just time. Shooting for running a 10K in under an hour might be a little aggressive for an initial goal. Sounds like you are currently are running about a 15 minute mile if you did 4 in an hour, so running 6.22 miles in under an hour would make your pace about 9:35 minute mile. So, maybe shooting for an 11-12 minute mile for a 10K would be a good interim goal. Get a couple of 10K races under your belt and then go for the HM.