Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    woodwardtm wrote: »
    Week 3 of Active's 5Kto10K is now complete! 1/3 of the way through this already! Woot! I know it only gets more difficult from here but so far I think I am ready. I feel strong.

You probably are done by now? Any races planned?
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    [/quote] You probably are done by now? Any races planned?[/quote]

I am not quite done. Just 3 or 4 runs left. I have signed up for a 10K May 13th. I instantly regretted it and started questioning my ability. LOL Oh well, I signed up so now I will complete it one way or another.

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    You probably are done by now? Any races planned?[/quote]

I am not quite done. Just 3 or 4 runs left. I have signed up for a 10K May 13th. I instantly regretted it and started questioning my ability. LOL Oh well, I signed up so now I will complete it one way or another.

[/quote]

You got this... your training runs have already got you close to the 10K distance, so you know you can do the distance. With this being your first one (at least in a while), don't stress about your speed. Good luck!
  • LilGigi05
    LilGigi05 Posts: 11 Member
    Hey Guys, I'm a newbie here. Took me a bit to figure out how to even find the latest msgs, that's how much of a newbie I am! Ok so which app are you guys using? I can't find one called, "Bridge to 10k". When I search it, I get one that has a similar logo but it doesn't say, "bridge...". Any guidance on this?

I just finished my W7 D3 on my C25K regime. I need to get to my 5k gola without any stopping! Almost there and trying to look ahead to the next goal.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    I've been using Fitness22's 10K trainer. :)

Update:
    Guys... I went from having the best run ever to the worst run ever. Today's run was just... mind numbing. And frustrating. And achy (calves again....)

I only did 20 minutes before just walking.

I suppose it didn't help that I had a long, terrible day and had very little motivation to go out anyways.

I might try again tomorrow or the next day.

Thankfully I know this is an outlier and not a trend.

Have a good night everyone. :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    rusgolden wrote: »
    This past Saturday, I completed my 1st Half Marathon. It felt so good and made all the months of training worth it! My time was 1:58:24 with an average pace of 9:03/mile.

@rusgolden Great Job - I have 6 HM completed and have an average time of 2:12:12 so that is a great time for a first HM. You be flying. I must add 3 of my Hm's were in the middle of winter and the others were all mountain based = climbing and descending. Should try a Summer Flat Lander some year.

@SierraFatToSkinny I have to agree with Just_Ceci and rusgolden . Continue running the distance for a while then start looking for a few local races. A common principle is the Build and then cutback, build and cutback. The cutback allows all the little nicks, bumps and injuries to heal.
    Personally I enjoy the 10k and HM's as they are a good test but have a low injury ratio when compared to longer distances. As you progress in your running Experience - Expect to have some Down Days, do a quick analysis, poor sleep, heavy workday, de-hydrated ( that's a major one and hides behind other aches and pains) etc. flip the page and move on. Love the pictures of your Hound Dogs, wet = happy.
    I have signed up for a 10K May 13th. I instantly regretted it and started questioning my ability.

@woodwardtm That's a typical reaction especially for the first few events or coming off an injury, and when you get more experience it disappears. The best advice I ever received was " Don't let the Surge of the Pack at the start of the Event Drag you out faster than you can maintain " So go slow at the start, relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
  • Aine8046
    You probably are done by now? Any races planned?[/quote]

[/quote]
    Awesome! Good luck! :)

• Aine8046
    LilGigi05 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I'm a newbie here. Took me a bit to figure out how to even find the latest msgs, that's how much of a newbie I am! Ok so which app are you guys using? I can't find one called, "Bridge to 10k". When I search it, I get one that has a similar logo but it doesn't say, "bridge...". Any guidance on this?

I just finished my W7 D3 on my C25K regime. I need to get to my 5k gola without any stopping! Almost there and trying to look ahead to the next goal.

I've been using ZenLabs.
  • rusgolden

Great job with the C25K... if you've had good luck with the app for that program, check to see if the same creators of that app have a 10K app. I've used the Rundouble 10K event app.
  • LilGigi05
    LilGigi05 Posts: 11 Member
    @rusgolden Thx! Yeah the same developers have a 10k training app as well, however it jumps back to the beginning of training for a 5k. Seems that some people start from the beginning and others start half way through (so at the week where the 5k was accomplished) and others use a totally different regime.Thought I'd pop on here to see who's doing what so I'd go at it with a posse
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member

I use RunDouble. If you purchase the full app, it comes with a C25k, 5 to 10k, a half plan and some improver plans.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Hi Y'all!

Well, today was the day. High humidity, but the temps were at 55F. Comfy! Week 9 day 1 is done!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Was a beautiful morning to complete Week 9 Day 2!
  • woodwardtm
    I ran my first run in a Week due to numerous stressful life events. Did 40 minutes, still have 3 runs left and my 10K is scheduled for next weekend. I hope life calms down by then and that I feel more prepared.
  • woodwardtm
    edited May 2017

@LilGigi05 the app I found is the next step up from Couch to 5K. It is by Active and is called the 5Kto10K app, I believe. It looks the same as Couch to 5K and runs on the same principle. I like it.

http://www.active.com/mobile/5k-to-10k-app
  • woodwardtm
    Ran again today, the last speed work run in the app and I guess it is working. I had my best pace yet according to the app.
  • rusgolden
    @woodwardtm -- great job! Looking forward to hearing how your race goes!

I'm still trying to pick out some 5K/10K races for the summer and might look at another HM this fall (November). Today I had a good 6 mile run at 8:41/mile pace.
  • woodwardtm
    rusgolden wrote: »
    @woodwardtm -- great job! Looking forward to hearing how your race goes!

I'm still trying to pick out some 5K/10K races for the summer and might look at another HM this fall (November). Today I had a good 6 mile run at 8:41/mile pace.

That is an awesome pace! I am nowhere near that nor do I see it in my future. I am going to set my 10K goal way out so that I don't pressure myself to go too fast and then die at the end.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

I use RunDouble. If you purchase the full app, it comes with a C25k, 5 to 10k, a half plan and some improver plans.

I use that one too. I like to use the custom run using distance instead of time. I'm going to start the Hal Higdon HM program soon. I've been a ghost around here with bad weather and a month where both my wife and I spent a lot of time out of town for work.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Zenlabs: Week 10 day 2 done!