Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Chena83 wrote: »
    Tomorrow will be my forst day of exercise. Yay!!!! Has anyone's sense of smell picked up? I notice that I can smell suga like no one's business. Another successful day for me around... at a soccer tournament for my son ALL day and stayed strong.

I am continually trying to increase my water intake.

I am so excited for you! Let us know how you do!
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2017
    Great responses on what you are working on!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Starting off my day with bulletproof tea. That should get me energized for work!

Have a great day, everyone!

Karen in Virginia
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Good morning!

I had a very long work day yesterday, around twelve hours. I'm glad we work from home!

So I had a headache for a couple of days...I forgot my mag the night before and ended with a whopper one all day yesterday. I was probably very off balance. So no more forgetting magnesium!!

What can I do better this week....electrolytes!!
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Down 4.4 my first week :) This up and down every day is rough emotionally tho! Gonna work on water and exercise this week and I may try dairy free or at least less bc I'm in a lot of pain with my joints. Not sure if it's related but worth a shot.
  • SuperCarLori
    edited April 2017
    mjj79 wrote: »
    Down 4.4 my first week :) This up and down every day is rough emotionally tho! Gonna work on water and exercise this week and I may try dairy free or at least less bc I'm in a lot of pain with my joints. Not sure if it's related but worth a shot.

Hey, good plan! Not to turn anyone away from activity, because health. I just wanted to note that with beginning exercise most ladies (only because I cant speak for the weaker sex :D ) tend to gain a few pounds of water weight. The muscles will pull in water to help ease the repair to the tissue. This is mine and most other friends who began exercising experiences. It does balance out, but it's inevitable, IMO. Just a little heads up, so as to brace yourself.
  • Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Hi there - New to My Fitness Pal as of yesterday! Whoo Hoo! Started Keto 4 days ago and was thrilled to see this group! I have about 20 lbs to lose. I struggled with losing just 10lbs since January on and off Low Carb so decided to make the leap to full Keto. I've lost another 2lbs thus far. I'm starting menopause and know that going keto will help get my hormones/weight under control a bit better :D Good Luck to Everyone!
    Yesterday-
    1497 Cals
    72% Fats
    22% Protein
    5% Carbs
    6200 Steps on my FitBit
    I went a bit over on the calories I set but happy with my percentages. Has anyone else gotten the new Keto book out by the blogger Leanne Vogel? ( titled "The Keto Diet") I got it to start my plan last week- highly recommend it.
    Cheers!
  • Zuzurillo
    I just wanted to add that I know it is atypical to worry about calories per say on LC or Keto but for me - At 5'3", 55, hitting menopause - keeping my calories low around 1200-1300 on Keto is ideal. I used to keep my weight/health under control just fine eating low carb and never worrying about calorie totals but that has shifted as I've aged. Just another "plus" about being an older woman! Yay! LOL!!
  • fanncy0626
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    Hi there - New to My Fitness Pal as of yesterday! Whoo Hoo! Started Keto 4 days ago and was thrilled to see this group! I have about 20 lbs to lose. I struggled with losing just 10lbs since January on and off Low Carb so decided to make the leap to full Keto. I've lost another 2lbs thus far. I'm starting menopause and know that going keto will help get my hormones/weight under control a bit better :D Good Luck to Everyone!
    Yesterday-
    1497 Cals
    72% Fats
    22% Protein
    5% Carbs
    6200 Steps on my FitBit
    I went a bit over on the calories I set but happy with my percentages. Has anyone else gotten the new Keto book out by the blogger Leanne Vogel? ( titled "The Keto Diet") I got it to start my plan last week- highly recommend it.
    Cheers!

Excellent! We are very happy to have you here with us! I will have to check that book out!
  • fanncy0626
    Day 8/28 Hello everyone! This is the first day of our second week! Celebrate that you have one week of getting into the swing of things! Celebrate the success that you have every day! Even if your day hasn't been as stellar as you would have liked there is something positive that you should be able to reflect on. Even if it is giving support to others! It's been a very busy weekend for me. I'm glad to see that most people are losing weight. Lots of support is being given out to those that need it! Thanks for doing that! I feel that this thread is evolving and everyone is feeling comfortable to come here and interact with others.

Suggestion for today since this is the beginning of our second week you might want to re-look at your goals for this challenge and tweak them a little bit!

Have a fantastic second week!

Mary
  • Zuzurillo
    Thanks for the suggestion Mary. I'm going to spend some time today tweaking my meal ideas to be sure that I'm keeping my fat numbers high and protein numbers lower. It's still a little counter intuitive. It takes a bit of time to run numbers and double check % etc... but know it's worth it going into a busy week.
    Have a great week Everyone!
  • SuperCarLori
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Day 8/28 Hello everyone! This is the first day of our second week! Celebrate that you have one week of getting into the swing of things! Celebrate the success that you have every day! Even if your day hasn't been as stellar as you would have liked there is something positive that you should be able to reflect on. Even if it is giving support to others! It's been a very busy weekend for me. I'm glad to see that most people are losing weight. Lots of support is being given out to those that need it! Thanks for doing that! I feel that this thread is evolving and everyone is feeling comfortable to come here and interact with others.

Suggestion for today since this is the beginning of our second week you might want to re-look at your goals for this challenge and tweak them a little bit!

Mary

Thanks, Mary!

I'm celebrating that I'm finally sitting down and relaxing, and I'm also celebrating the fact that I'm starting to feel normal again. It's been a long, active, tiring week. And today my pecs, shoulders and arms are sore because in the midst of all the activity this week, I've begun focusing on push ups....so I'm sore and tired. But I'm feeling happy and content.

I switched my calorie goal from 1650 to 1520, let's see how I do....when does the appetite suppression kick in? :D
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Okay, a couple of questions.....

First I just don't lose weight. I'm consistent with less than 20 grams of carbs about 73% fat, keeping around 23% protein.... The weight just doesn't budge BUT the inches are slowly and I mean S L O W L Y going down. I know it will happen but sheesh I get tired of seeing "down 2 pounds!". lol Jealousy I guess. The reality is I've been losing for quite a long time so it's not like I'm starting from square one, maybe that makes a difference?

The big question though is for my husband. He's been doing a strict Low-Carb Keto diet along with me. He stays below 20 grams every day. He's done this for two weeks and he has never measured to be in any degree of ketosis. Seriously, NO reaction on the ketone strips. Any idea what might be causing this? I haven't found any information at all about what might prevent it... the only thing he really does different than me is he uses artificial sweetener in his coffee and tea, but has cut back to very minimal usage. Other than that we eat the same. Suggestions or ideas or does anyone have a website that might give more info for me. Of course it bothers him but I think he shouldn't complain, he's dropping pounds (of course... lol)

??? what does WOE stand for?

~Marcelyn
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Mary
    I switched my calorie goal from 1650 to 1520, let's see how I do....when does the appetite suppression kick in? :D

For me to kick in probably within two weeks. Now I am trying to keep my losing at or under 2 pounds per week. So I am actually forcing myself to eat more.
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Okay, a couple of questions.....

First I just don't lose weight. I'm consistent with less than 20 grams of carbs about 73% fat, keeping around 23% protein.... The weight just doesn't budge BUT the inches are slowly and I mean S L O W L Y going down. I know it will happen but sheesh I get tired of seeing "down 2 pounds!". lol Jealousy I guess. The reality is I've been losing for quite a long time so it's not like I'm starting from square one, maybe that makes a difference?

The big question though is for my husband. He's been doing a strict Low-Carb Keto diet along with me. He stays below 20 grams every day. He's done this for two weeks and he has never measured to be in any degree of ketosis. Seriously, NO reaction on the ketone strips. Any idea what might be causing this? I haven't found any information at all about what might prevent it... the only thing he really does different than me is he uses artificial sweetener in his coffee and tea, but has cut back to very minimal usage. Other than that we eat the same. Suggestions or ideas or does anyone have a website that might give more info for me. Of course it bothers him but I think he shouldn't complain, he's dropping pounds (of course... lol)

??? what does WOE stand for?

~Marcelyn

WOE stands for way of eating! Everybody is different as to when they go into ketosis. I read this article and it generally takes on average 4–6 weeks to go into ketosis for most people. Especially if they were extremely high carb eaters. Sometimes our body has to figure out what we are doing to it! It's greatly dependent on your glycogen stores. Once you have used that up and are only taking in a minimal about of carbs your body should automatically switch over to fat burning. You might want to read this article.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2wsu0u/psa_when_and_how_to_use_ketostix_on_a_ketogenic/

Never give up! You are doing fantastic! I have heard that all of a sudden people drop 8 pounds!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Marcelyn Some thoughts for your husband: is he weighing his carb-containing foods on a food scale? is he eating more than 30g of protein at one sitting? is he eating any foods with sugar alcohols in them? is he chewing a ton of sugarless gum? is he eating any condiments or salad dressings that may contain more carbs than he realizes? is he drinking any alcoholic beverages? if he is eating prepared foods, is he weighing them to make sure the portion he is eating is really just one portion instead of 1.2 portions?

If he has all of these things under control, then what Mary said. It takes some people longer than others to get into ketosis.

1,342kcal/12g net carbs/118g fat/54g protein/8g fiber

A little too much fat intake and not quite enough protein, but great on the net carbs. The bulletproof coffee boosted the fat way up. I didn't really need both the bulletproof coffee and the 50g of Macadamia nuts!

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    Marcelyn Some thoughts for your husband: is he weighing his carb-containing foods on a food scale? is he eating more than 30g of protein at one sitting? is he eating any foods with sugar alcohols in them? is he chewing a ton of sugarless gum? is he eating any condiments or salad dressings that may contain more carbs than he realizes? is he drinking any alcoholic beverages? if he is eating prepared foods, is he weighing them to make sure the portion he is eating is really just one portion instead of 1.2 portions?

If he has all of these things under control, then what Mary said. It takes some people longer than others to get into ketosis.

1,342kcal/12g net carbs/118g fat/54g protein/8g fiber

A little too much fat intake and not quite enough protein, but great on the net carbs. The bulletproof coffee boosted the fat way up. I didn't really need both the bulletproof coffee and the 50g of Macadamia nuts!

Karen in Virginia

Thanks for your input! It's so nice to have you here!
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Day #7, Everyone!!! Week 1 down!
    Total calories: 1504
    Net carbs: 20
    Fat: 109
    Protein: 73

Back on the bike today-- 30 minutes accomplished.

I know 30 min. doesn't seem like a big deal, but as some of you know, I have had MS now for 15 years. I have done all of my weight loss (-163#) while having MS. I'm not saying this for pity points. I am proud of my accomplishment despite of my disability! I hope to let others know that yes, we CAN do this!! Sure, it might take us a little longer than others, but we're each running our own race. Our only opponent is ourselves. WE CAN DO THIS!!! Congrats to all of us!!!! GROUP HUG!!
  • fanncy0626
    kendallvon wrote: »
    Day #7, Everyone!!! Week 1 down!
    Total calories: 1504
    Net carbs: 20
    Fat: 109
    Protein: 73

Back on the bike today-- 30 minutes accomplished.

I know 30 min. doesn't seem like a big deal, but as some of you know, I have had MS now for 15 years. I have done all of my weight loss (-163#) while having MS. I'm not saying this for pity points. I am proud of my accomplishment despite of my disability! I hope to let others know that yes, we CAN do this!! Sure, it might take us a little longer than others, but we're each running our own race. Our only opponent is ourselves. WE CAN DO THIS!!! Congrats to all of us!!!! GROUP HUG!!

Fantastic accomplishment! I understand how hard it is for you! I have been battling Lymes disease for 3 years now. It mimics MS in fact our pastors wife was misdiagnosed with MS when in fact she had Lymes. So proud of your success! You will be an inspiration to others that are facing similar issues!
  • ashliedeee
    ashliedeee Posts: 14 Member
    I've been keto for two weeks but really need to start strictly measuring to make sure I'm hitting those macros! Gonna jump into this challenge for some friendly motivation
  • fanncy0626
    ashliedeee wrote: »
    I've been keto for two weeks but really need to start strictly measuring to make sure I'm hitting those macros! Gonna jump into this challenge for some friendly motivation

Fantastic! This will be a great place for you to get a lot of motivation and support from everyone!