Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Dawn - sorry to hear about your uncle. We are the same weight but you are so much stronger!

Heavy upper day -
    Bench press - 3x6@31 kg
    DB row - 3x6@30 lbs
    OHP - 1x6@21 kg
    Chin ups - 3x2@1 1/8" band assist

Nice day out today, so hope to get some steps in!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Aigre - We all have our bits. Though I'm sure a couple of lifts some type, you are stronger. ;-) And you'd beat me in a run. It is getting nice out and maybe I'll get that "run outside at least once" checked off my list this month, maybe.

Long day so far and I haven't really eaten much. I had some leftover coffee, cold, that I mixed with leftover portion of a vegan protein premade chocolate drink. Lunch was a green juice from Kreation that we'd gotten free due to a cancelled order when sister was doing postmates. Went to buy something but then didn't feel much like eating. Made the decision to not travel to the funeral for various reasons, so whenever it is (they haven't figured it out quite yet even) I'll have to honor my uncle from afar. Emotions are raw today and it doesn't help that shark week also started this morning. So, spent part of work dealing with cramps too. And right knee was acting up this morning. Not my week.

Still went to gym after work and brought belt so did squats and a little bit of upper body. Kind of intermixing the end of this cycle as I didn't go to the gym as much while studying for the test. It went okay though super slow and had a guy ask if I needed help in the middle of the set. He was nice though and I did another rep after that. Then did a little cardio but not as much since right knee still isn't all that happy.

squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, belt 1x3 @ 175 and 2x3 @ 195
    wide grip pause bench 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 2x5 @ 85
    cable kickback 20 2x15
    elliptical for 20 minutes

Had to get to bank and such so kept it short. I've got gym time for the next two days, which will be upper body and cardio. Also, work and maybe, just maybe I'll get some writing done. We'll see.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your tough time, Dawn. Nice squats though!

4.1 mile run this morning. First time without flashlights in months and months. Yeay for spring.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - Thanks. Yay for spring and running.

I went to gym after working at the other store. It wasn't too bad, just did bench for the most part but also enjoyed the dry sauna. Bench is a bit hard now being around my max. I probably should eat more before lifting now. I had cold brew and a granola bar for breakfast plus part of a salad from yummy.com that had poppyseed dressing. Not sure if it would be better to have more of my calories before lifting or not but when I lift later in the day, does seem logical.

bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x5 @ 95 and 2x2 @ 115
    close grip bench - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 1x4 and 1x3 @ 90 (fail on rep 4 with a haphazard re-rack)
    incline bench - 1x8 @ 65 and 2x4 @ 85
    dry sauna
    20 minutes on the elliptical reading Beyonds Seeds of Rebellion
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn - I'm always torn on eating before lifting. I get the mechanism by which it should help. I just always feel heavy and slow after I've eaten much. I usually lift fasted, early in the AM, but on the weekends I'll put the kids down for a nap and lift after lunch. I never feel so so much better or anything. But maybe I just don't lift enough!

Control Lower Day today
    Paused squats - 6x4@83 lbs
    Paused Deadlifts - 3x4@103 lbs these really are hard for me!
    RDLs - 3x8@29 kg, light weight to go nice and slow and feel it in my hamstrings

Scale for 3 days now has said 130.x. Just have to keep it together this weekend!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - Yeah, if I did things in the morning it would be fasted but I often end up lifting at like 7 or 9 pm, which requires a different approach. Think with mornings, have been resting before while an evening workout is after working all day, so the fuel helps but at least am warmed up and don't need too much to get going to the workout. Though I rarely ever eat right before lifting. Just need to make have a better lunch than just over half a salad.

Shoulders today. Had to be near work early since it's Friday and sister has her internship. Did shoulder and a couple tricep ones that I skipped earlier in the week. Tad nuisance as could only find one 15 db and should have increased last time so was determined to do it this time as I've meandered on these instead of trying to improve cause well, it's later raises... I had to do one arm at a time but managed it.

one arm db side lat raise - 2x8 @ 15
    one arm db front raise - 2x8 @ 15
    one arm db row - 2x8 @ 50
    one of the hammer machines with plates - 2x10 @ 50
    tricep pushdown with bar - 3x8 @ 85
    face pull with rope - 2x10 @ 85
    overhead tricep with rope - 2x10 @ 40
    30 minutes on elliptical reading Beyonders Seeds of Rebellion

Enjoyed a nice acai bowl from Body Energy Club. Much better than the organic place near the beach and a bit cheaper. I also have a coffee and am trying to get some stuff done at Starbucks since I have plenty of time before my shift starts at work. Need to finish short story reviews from contest I judged. Better get working on them.

• aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hello! Me again!
    I am plugging along with Stage 3. My gym doesn't have a lot of adjustable benches, and the lines can get longer than Disney it seems. The only workout I need the dang bench for is the incline dumbbell presses. Today I was in a rush, as I have somewhere to be this evening. So I subbed the chest press machine, figuring that was better than skipping the exercise completely. It was the one where you push the handles straight out in front of you. But as I was there, I realized there were several different chest machines. I tried to Google search, but didn't come up with much. Does anyone know which one would be the closest replacement, if I ever have to sub again? They are doing something to the dumbbell section in a week and a half, and I can only hope that includes more benches.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey aubrey,

Well benches are a gym staple so I hope they include them too! Incline bench works the chest, shoulders and triceps to varying extents so you could sub for other exercises which work these muscle groups so long as it's still in a 'push' way rather than a 'pull' (as that's more back work). I'd be thinking push ups, floor press (like bench but on the floor and your elbows hit the ground), cable flyes, dumbbell flyes, overhead press (to some extent - more a shoulder focus). It depends what your weak point is as to which is a good substitute. If you aren't sure, ask someone to watch you and see where you fail a lift. Mine is always triceps so I add tricep accessories to my program.

• aubreyjordan
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    Hey aubrey,

Well benches are a gym staple so I hope they include them too! Incline bench works the chest, shoulders and triceps to varying extents so you could sub for other exercises which work these muscle groups so long as it's still in a 'push' way rather than a 'pull' (as that's more back work). I'd be thinking push ups, floor press (like bench but on the floor and your elbows hit the ground), cable flyes, dumbbell flyes, overhead press (to some extent - more a shoulder focus). It depends what your weak point is as to which is a good substitute. If you aren't sure, ask someone to watch you and see where you fail a lift. Mine is always triceps so I add tricep accessories to my program.

Thank you! I sure hope they get more benches, too! I will look into those exercises. I really appreciate the help!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Epic squat day! Took two hours but done.

squat - 7x5 @ 57.5kg (126lbs)
    front squat - 3x4 @ 37.5kg (82lbs)
    Walking lunges 3 x 20 with 10kg plate
    Leg press 3 x 20 @ 60kg (132lbs)
    Hanging leg raises 3 x 20

Doesn't look much written like that lol :/

• AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - Nice workout! Funny how it never looks like that much when you write it out. But 7x5 squats is no joke, plus all that other stuff!

Aubrey - I didn't have an incline bench when I went through Strong, so I just subbed flat bench. Does your gym have flat benches available? As Jo mentioned, doesn't work shoulders quite as much but would still be fine I think.

Dawn - nice, as usual! I find it so hard to increase on those accessories like lateral raises, so good for you getting up to 15 lbs!

Saturday I did a mish mash, going to start my new program tomorrow!
    Bench press - 5x4@30 kg, 1x7@30 kg working on form. think I may have gone backwards though.
    DB row - 6x4@40 lbs. I thought it was 35 lbs until I went to go put the DB back and realized I forgot to remove the adder weights. Ha.
    OHP - 1x10@20 kg
    Chin ups - 6x1 eccentric. First time without a band assist. Sore!
    Hammer curls - 3x12@12 lbs
    Overhead tricep push - 3x12@12 lbs

Yesterday did a 6.1 mile run. Trying to slow my pace a bit in expectation of the heat coming soon, so around 11:00 min/mile.

I'm very grumpy that it's Monday today.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Jo - nice squat session!

Aigre - Thanks. Honestly, I've done 15 before on lat raises. It is just one of those that never gets up there but that's okay. Nice workout yourself with the mish mash. That can be fun when getting ready to start a new program. I like Mondays but it's normally my day off from work.

Speaking of, since had today off and didn't lift over the weekend, I went today to hopeful use the food from the last two days. May have eaten way too much Saturday and last night had a barbecue with work so ate a good amount of grilled protein. mmm Today was a bit of a mix day, did deadlifts and a little bit of the upper body accessories. Almost time to test 1 rep max on deadlift.

deadlift - 1x8 @ 115, 1x8 @ 135, 1x6 @ 185, belt added 1x4 @ 225, chalk added 1x3 @ 255
    pendlay rows with straps - 2x6 @ 95
    wide grip pause bench - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75 and 2x4 @ 95
    tricep pushdown with bar - 3x10 @ 80
    25 minutes on the elliptical

The deadlift went much better this time around. Didn't have footing issues or grip, which made it easier to do the 3 reps though the last one was slow getting up. Still, it's a new PR for me as my max was 255 for 2 reps. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to get a new 1 rep max and maybe, depending on how bodyweight goes, will get it at 2xbw. Will have to wait and see.

Now, I need food once cat is done cuddling. And need to work on stuff online as I'm still not quite caught up yet.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn - Wow, 2xBW would be amazing! Go for it!

First day of my new program today, I think it's kind of an intro week.
    Squats - 2x8@90 lbs
    BP - 3 sets at 65 lbs, RPE 8, got 4,5,5 reps
    Rear delt fly - 3x20@5 lbs, should have upped weight on these

It was short and looks even shorter writing it out. But excited for things to come!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Deadlifts+accessories today
    Deadlifts 6x1@136 lbs
    Hip thrusts 3x12@103 lbs
    DB OH press 2x10@15 lbs
    DB row 3x12@20 lbs

Happy Hump day!
  • aubreyjordan
    Options
    They have a couple of flat benches with the bench press bars, but in the free weight area, they have 3 adjustable benches and 1 bench at a permanent 90 degree angle. Sometimes one of the adjustable benches gets moved over to the Smith machine. Thanks for the tip about the flat bench!!
  • aubreyjordan
    Options
    So apparently I've had my head in the sand the last several month. They have 3 bench press racks with flat benches, 2 with an incline bench, and 1 with a 90 degree bench LOL. So I just took the dumbbells to one of the incline racks. Someone had taken the bar off for something else anyway, so it worked out!

I finished the last Workout A in Stage 3 today and I couldn't be happier about that. I had a love/hate relationship with some of the other workouts, but I just really disliked this one. I really do not like dumbbell snatches or the 1 arm overhead squat. I am NOT looking forward to repeating these exercises in Stage 5.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Aubrey - congrats on finishing Stage 3!

4.0 mile run for me this morning
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aubrey - Congrats on finishing Stage 3. I found in that program in general there were things I really didn't like (YTWL....) and some things that were neat. I liked the dumbbell snatch but some of the standing on one foot things am glad I don't do those anymore. Good luck with the next stage.

Aigre - Nice run. I haven't run in months, just walked and elliptical.

I ended up doing squats at the gym by the other store, which is a little challenge since this is the location with 4 flat benches but only one squat rack. I got lucky even with working a bit later than usual (mess of a reset that I only got part way done so stayed a tad longer to get through things and clean up) as when I got to the weight area, no one was using it. Just some weights left behind from whoever had last used it. So, I got it right away and had a few guys ask not long after as I was warming up how many sets I had left.

Squats
    2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135
    belt 1x3 @ 185 and 1x3 + 1x2 @ 205
    good morning 3x10 @ 60
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 60
    dry sauna

Went pretty well. Last peak cycle I did the 205 for 2 reps and this time I managed to get 3 reps on the first set. Very slow but pushed through.

I work the next two days at a different store. Was initially supposed to have off Saturday-Wednesday but then agreed to work at this other location. I'm not good at this taking time off thing. Instead of getting 3 days PTO, I'm working an extra day and taking 2 days PTO. Still have Sunday-Wednesday off as our mom and stepdad are coming to visit. Not sure how lifting will go over the week but we will see. Hoping bodyweight is down enough for deadlift this weekend but it was up a little this morning. But first, sleep.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn - what do you mean by bodyweight being down enough for deadlift?

This morning:
    Squat 4x3@100 lbs, yeay for triple digits
    Bench 4x3@70 lbs (32 kg)
    SL RDL - 3x12@40 lbs, tough on my grip holding a 40 lb DB long enough to complete 12 reps :-p

Happy Friday everyone!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - in order for it to be 2xbw, I need to weigh less than 133. But scale went back up to 135 cause cut isn't really going well. So, right now, 265 wouldn't be 2xbw. Close but not quite.