What does your low carb meals look like??

Options

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    8mx8tg1dohpl.jpg
    I may or may have not eaten this fat bomb as a meal
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I grew my own ginger plants this year, from a store-bought rhyzome, which had one or two green growing sprouts on it. People: Until you've tried your own home-grown ginger, you haven't LIVED!! OMG it's so good - crunchy, with a good peppery bite but not overpowering - it's an experience!
    edited.

I second this, I still have some frozen from last summer's crop of ginger, I live in Colorado, so it took a long time for the ginger to mature (4 months, 3 outside in a pot on the patio then brought in under a grow light), but once it did. BEST GINGER ever. I one of my favorite spices. I planted just two rhyzomes that had started sprouting cut so a bud was on each piece, like Alex said. Some store ginger is treated to not bud, so make sure you see plenty of activity on your starter. Got so much I had to freeze them and so glad I did.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I grew my own ginger plants this year, from a store-bought rhyzome, which had one or two green growing sprouts on it. People: Until you've tried your own home-grown ginger, you haven't LIVED!! OMG it's so good - crunchy, with a good peppery bite but not overpowering - it's an experience!

I froze a meaty salmon fillet for 24 hours, then removed it from the freezer, and while still semi-frozen firm, sliced it very finely, laid it on kitchen paper to get rid of the excess moisture, then laid it on a dish. I dug up a piece of new ginger root, rinsed it, peeled it with the edge of a teaspoon (it barely needed scraping at all) sliced it very finely all over the fish slices and then used a simple dressing of soy sauce, lemon juice and sesame oil.

Heaven.

(ETA: No pics. My phone is totally FU. You'll just have to go by the descriptions for a while - sorry! )

@AlexandraCarlyle - I've heard it's very difficult to grow ginger. Any specific advice? Because I full on LOVE ginger!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@AlexandraCarlyle - I've heard it's very difficult to grow ginger. Any specific advice? Because I full on LOVE ginger!

See my post above, just before JohnnyLowCarb's....
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sadly, we only have one window that faces East, and it never gets direct sunlight. Apartments in the US are NOT plant friendly in any regard.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I need a bigger home, too....
    Ginger will happily thrive in shade/bright light, even if there is no direct sun.
    Give it a go anyway - whaddya got toulouse....? :D
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Johnny Low Carb. What is your dish? Can you share the recipe?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sadly, we only have one window that faces East, and it never gets direct sunlight. Apartments in the US are NOT plant friendly in any regard.

One thing I WILL add: the rhizomes pushed up a couple of flowers too. Now, they look weird; kind of like pine cones, but green, with little tiny orchid-like flowers coming out of every 'scale'. Very pretty, unusual - and totally, utterly pointless. They're nice to look at, interesting; but if I get more flowers from the ginger I just planted, I'm cutting them off. They take energy away from the rhizome, and serve no other purpose.
    If the weather had been more clement, and a little warmer, I might have put my ginger out in the garden; the flowers might well have then been pollinated, but I doubt they would even there, have served any grerat purpose, or have been of any value.
    So if you get a shoot sprouting that has a rounded bulbous head (most ginger shoots are pointed and tapered) then it's a flower. You decide whether you want to keep it.

(incidentally, there are many photos of Ginger flowers and many are brightly coloured, deep pink. Mine remained stubbornly green as in the picture/link posted, above.)
  • retirehappy
    Options

If you have a full spectrum light, you could use that to supplement the light available.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Tried these tonight in a prawn stir fry. They smelt bad so I was dubious but they were delicious!
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm ooops stuffed that pic up!
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    https://www.lowcarb-ology.com/low-carb-parmesan-tater-tots-with-chipotle-dipping-sauce/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare

34ljbqzuvs9n.jpg

I didn't make the dipping sauce as I am avoiding spicy foods and I used cheddar jack cheese. YUM!!
    My hubby said he couldn't tell they weren't regular tater tots!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    That second hand...meme almost made me ruin my keyboard, spewed coffee laughing so hard.

Will have to try thos armadillo eggs too. Jalapeno are a fav food of mine.
  • nlauser1
    nlauser1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wui3536h7y6f.jpg
  • kriskrossness
    kriskrossness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Not the best picture - but Eggs "Marinara" and shredded chicken. Yummy. I didn't actually have marinara, so I used salsa with two tbs of tomato paste and some chili powder and 1/3 c of water.
  • amyrising
    amyrising Posts: 39 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Steak and a salad again tonight.... I can't help it I love steak and salad lolbk3oxh180ov9.jpg

What kind of dressing do you use? I cant seem to gind anything without canola, soy oil!

Everyone's food looks great!
  • journeyto69
    journeyto69 Posts: 32 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hello! I am new here. I try to eat low carb. Here are my meals
    iqbcr66bb2d9.jpg
    oarn6f54j88v.jpg

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    amyrising wrote: »
    Steak and a salad again tonight.... I can't help it I love steak and salad lolbk3oxh180ov9.jpg

What kind of dressing do you use? I cant seem to gind anything without canola, soy oil!

Everyone's food looks great!

Primal Kitchen makes some pretty good salad dressing using avocado oil. They also make mayo using avocado oil.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    4z6jm897g47o.jpg
    Salmon, cauliflower mac and cheese, and green beans.