Sarah's OMAD Journal

Options

Replies

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    katjustkat wrote: »
    Sarah good point on the no hunger. I remember my friend wanting to stop for a quick lunch and I just had water. I had absolutely no thought of food and was surprised by her saying "Aren't you hungry? I don't know how you do it" but really she took me by surprise because I had absolutely no thought of wanting anything at that point. Then we went to dinner another time and her and another friend were surprised at how little of my entree I ate. They were like "you have to eat more than that! It's your food for the whole day". I mean I coulda had all that I wanted but I absolutely hate feeling over stuffed and ate till I reallllly didn't want more. So stomach shrinks and desire does go away outside the eating window with time. I gotta remember that right now when I'm back in the 'adaption' phase.

Yeah, I often get surprised lately when we’re out and people want to stop for lunch, so weird because before I would have been counting the minutes! I still have a hearty appetite at meal time though!! :)
  • minigrrll
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Second last weigh in before I go away and I’m down just a touch. So close to being in the 160s, well, 1 pound away, but don’t think I’ll get there tomorrow. Especially given that we are going out for dinner tonight and it’s my choice which probably means Mexican with ice cream afterwards! Having said that, that’s what I had for dinner last Thursday and I think I was down the next day so you never know...

BTW this is when I have to fight the voices in my head that say I shouldn’t have the ice cream and I might get to under 170. That is NOT the way I want to live my life though, so (unless I am overly full from dinner) I am going to have my ice cream!

vwdy5x7yhktx.jpeg

• minigrrll
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    minigrrll wrote: »
    I struggle a bit every day with the fast but I don't think it supposed to be totally easy!

I probably shouldn’t say this because it’s probably just another thing I think I’ve got a handle on when I really don’t, but I actually find the fast super easy. I really don’t get hungry now until right before it’s time to eat. I get the odd fleeting thought of food, especially if I’m working on a hard and/or boring problem, but other than that, food is the farthest thing from my mind. Even other people eating doesn’t bother me now (it used to kind of annoy me and make me a bit angry!).

I do know I’m go into ketosis every day (I bought a blood monitor and checked for a couple of weeks so I know what it feels and tastes like now) from about 11am onwards and that is supposed to lower hunger, so that’s probably what makes it so easy.

So different from all the diets I’ve been on where the only thing I can think about is food. When I can have the next food, what I’m “allowed” to have, etc, etc. This is so relaxing to me and takes up so much less of my time. Plus the kitchen is so much cleaner!! :)

Glad it is being easy for you! It is not really that easy for me now. I think the extra running I'm doing now is making me hungrier. I'm usually hungry by 10:00 a.m. or so now where it used to be about 1-2 pm. It is manageable though. When I reach goal weight, I will probably do 16:8 about 5xweek and 20:4 about 2xweek. Keep on keeping on!

I think harder exercise than I do would definitely signal the body that it is hungry - makes total sense. The running is so good for your body though, I think the trade off of a little extra hunger is worth it. I’d still be doing my HIIT running if it wasn’t for this pesky hip arthritis thing. I do run a bit sometimes on my walk when I’m late, but I’m not sure that all that extra impact on a regular basis would be great for the hip. Once I lose another 20 or so lbs, I might re-consider.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Second last weigh in before I go away and I’m down just a touch. So close to being in the 160s, well, 1 pound away, but don’t think I’ll get there tomorrow. Especially given that we are going out for dinner tonight and it’s my choice which probably means Mexican with ice cream afterwards! Having said that, that’s what I had for dinner last Thursday and I think I was down the next day so you never know...

BTW this is when I have to fight the voices in my head that say I shouldn’t have the ice cream and I might get to under 170. That is NOT the way I want to live my life though, so (unless I am overly full from dinner) I am going to have my ice cream!

vwdy5x7yhktx.jpeg

yep, your in it for the long term!
  • blambo61
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I struggle a bit every day with the fast but I don't think it supposed to be totally easy!

I probably shouldn’t say this because it’s probably just another thing I think I’ve got a handle on when I really don’t, but I actually find the fast super easy. I really don’t get hungry now until right before it’s time to eat. I get the odd fleeting thought of food, especially if I’m working on a hard and/or boring problem, but other than that, food is the farthest thing from my mind. Even other people eating doesn’t bother me now (it used to kind of annoy me and make me a bit angry!).

I do know I’m go into ketosis every day (I bought a blood monitor and checked for a couple of weeks so I know what it feels and tastes like now) from about 11am onwards and that is supposed to lower hunger, so that’s probably what makes it so easy.

So different from all the diets I’ve been on where the only thing I can think about is food. When I can have the next food, what I’m “allowed” to have, etc, etc. This is so relaxing to me and takes up so much less of my time. Plus the kitchen is so much cleaner!! :)

Glad it is being easy for you! It is not really that easy for me now. I think the extra running I'm doing now is making me hungrier. I'm usually hungry by 10:00 a.m. or so now where it used to be about 1-2 pm. It is manageable though. When I reach goal weight, I will probably do 16:8 about 5xweek and 20:4 about 2xweek. Keep on keeping on!

I think harder exercise than I do would definitely signal the body that it is hungry - makes total sense. The running is so good for your body though, I think the trade off of a little extra hunger is worth it. I’d still be doing my HIIT running if it wasn’t for this pesky hip arthritis thing. I do run a bit sometimes on my walk when I’m late, but I’m not sure that all that extra impact on a regular basis would be great for the hip. Once I lose another 20 or so lbs, I might re-consider.

Be very careful with running. I wear Altra paradigm 2.0 shoes which have a very thick sole and also a wide toe box. It's very easy to get injured. If you do run, just go slow tell your used to it, try to run on soft surfaces, get good shoes, and only go about 3xweek. When you're close to goal weight, you can add on more intensity etc.. I feel like I'm always on the verge of injury but I've followed the above rules mostly and, knock on wood, haven't hurt myself seriously yet. I got a stress reaction in my 20's by doing a lot of hard interval work when I only weighed 160-lbs so the harder and more often you go, the more risk there is. I would be very careful with HIIT stuff. I usually limit the shortest (and hence the fasted) work I do to about 1/4 mile. Shorter than that and I feel bad things starting to develop in my feet and knees.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I agree, every other diet I've been on, all i thought about was food, and felt deprived because I couldnt eat what I wanted...... but now I just work during the day, I dont really think about food until its almost dinner, then I discuss what I want or what my husband wants...he cooks it, eat, dishes, done. how simple is that?? plus its awesome to eat what you want!!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I have to fight the voices in my head all the time too!!! You'll be in the 160's soon :)
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Weather has been great here in Colorado. I hope it holds up for you. You did great at your last conference so you'll do it again. Exercise is great because it takes up time in a good way and gets you closer to dindin :)
  • minigrrll
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm back! Colorado was awesome... Annoyingly, my flight out of LA was cancelled so I had to wait 24 hours to take the next one home. Qantas is good though, they put you up in a nice hotel and give you meal vouchers so not all bad I guess. I did spend 300 at Athleta on new clothes though because I couldn't stand wearing the same clothes for another 36 hours! I got home about 2 hours ago, my luggage is still flying around somewhere though - supposedly they will deliver it tomorrrow...

And.... According to my scale I lost 1.2 kgs. I don't think that weight will stick around tomorrow. I think I'm probably dehydrated from flying. I also don't usually weigh this far into a fast. I'm at 19.5 hours fasted, I didn't eat on the flight and won't eat until tonight (it's 9:20 am now).

Off to catch up on everybody's threads!!

xnjw9ycsvlsi.jpeg
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    yay your back!! Missed you! Good loss btw!!!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Nice babe! That's an awesome loss, AND the 160s!!!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Good job on the loss, the 160's welcomes you.
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Thanks guys, good to be back!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    I am kind of weirded out today. I lost more weight overnight. I still can hardly believe that this is so easy, I keep waiting for the weight loss to stop...

I couldn’t make it until dinner last night so I had lunch. I had a big salad with cheese and beans and corn and salsa and 3 corn tortillas fried up in a pan to make chips. Then I had 2 quesadillas (4 more corn tortillas). Then watermelon and a thing of cherry tomatoes. Then we went to a burger place for dinner where I had a veggie burger and sweet potato fries. And I still lost weight. Granted it might catch up to me in a few days, but wow, I expected to be up about a pound today. I guess I shouldn’t complain (and I’m really not), but I STILL feel like the penny is going to drop and it’s all going to fall apart somehow! Crazy brain...

Btw, Darcy (my partner) has been doing around 18:6 IF for a few weeks (almost OMAD except he has a snack around 4, which I guess I do also, about 50% of the time) and he’s lost around 15lbs in the past 6 weeks or so... (No, of course I’m not bitter about how fast he is losing while only doing a half a$$ed job...)

acobukw84sy2.jpeg
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    wow awesome! your body is loving it =)
  • Jim_fbr
    Jim_fbr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You're in such a groove and yeah at times it feels so easy. Just keep chugging along and enjoy the ride down the scale.
  • minigrrll
    Options
    wow awesome! your body is loving it =)

I guess it totally is!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Jim_fbr wrote: »
    You're in such a groove and yeah at times it feels so easy. Just keep chugging along and enjoy the ride down the scale.

So you've been at this a lot longer than me - was there a point where it all of a sudden got hard or you just stopped losing even though you were doing the same thing?
  • Jim_fbr
    Jim_fbr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Jim_fbr wrote: »

So you've been at this a lot longer than me - was there a point where it all of a sudden got hard or you just stopped losing even though you were doing the same thing?

Yes there were a few pauses but after a few weeks if I sensed a real slowdown I'd try something new or shake up the routine usually with some type of extended fasting. That seemed to do the trick each time. Overall the lower I got there was a gradual slow down, and
    now it has slowed down even more but I'm below my goal weight and trying some different things so I'm fine with slower weight loss like 1-2 lbs per month rather than every week. The first 3/4 of the way was like a freefall, the final 1/4 was more incremental little steps.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Congrats on the 160s! I think getting in a good amount of easy exercise helps a lot to get the bigger deficits. Some might eat it all back though and it might not help with the weight loss much but it still will have other benefits.