Options

Replies

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Jim_fbr wrote: »
    minigrrll wrote: »
    You're in such a groove and yeah at times it feels so easy. Just keep chugging along and enjoy the ride down the scale.

So you've been at this a lot longer than me - was there a point where it all of a sudden got hard or you just stopped losing even though you were doing the same thing?

Yes there were a few pauses but after a few weeks if I sensed a real slowdown I'd try something new or shake up the routine usually with some type of extended fasting. That seemed to do the trick each time. Overall the lower I got there was a gradual slow down, and
    now it has slowed down even more but I'm below my goal weight and trying some different things so I'm fine with slower weight loss like 1-2 lbs per month rather than every week. The first 3/4 of the way was like a freefall, the final 1/4 was more incremental little steps.

Interesting... I still have close to 20 lbs I'd like to lose (and may even go lower if it happens without restricting) so I'm only a little over half way to goal. Will just have to wait and see!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    You're in such a groove and yeah at times it feels so easy. Just keep chugging along and enjoy the ride down the scale.

So you've been at this a lot longer than me - was there a point where it all of a sudden got hard or you just stopped losing even though you were doing the same thing?

Since I have become much more strict, it has become harder for me but I'm losing faster than I was also. I guess it is a balancing act on what is sustainable.
  • minigrrll
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Congrats on the 160s! I think getting in a good amount of easy exercise helps a lot to get the bigger deficits. Some might eat it all back though and it might not help with the weight loss much but it still will have other benefits.

Yes, I'm definitely doing the lots of easy exercise - I do at least 12,000 steps a day and most days closer to 17,000 or 18,000. (I have to keep this up because we have a competition at work and I'm nearly always in first place! Totally motivated by needing to win. Because of all my travel this weekend though, I've slipped into second place... Not happy...)

8yhq2jmv5bwa.png

• minigrrll
    Options

Since I have become much more strict, it has become harder for me but I'm losing faster than I was also. I guess it is a balancing act on what is sustainable.

That's what I'm scared of - having to get more strict. I am super-strict with my fasts (only black coffee and water) as that seems to really make the difference between the fasts being effortless and white-knuckling it until dinner time, but I do not want to have to restrict food in my window in any way. Or maybe that's what you are talking about? Being more strict with your fasting and not the food in your window?
  • blambo61
    edited October 2017
    Options

That's what I'm scared of - having to get more strict. I am super-strict with my fasts (only black coffee and water) as that seems to really make the difference between the fasts being effortless and white-knuckling it until dinner time, but I do not want to have to restrict food in my window in any way. Or maybe that's what you are talking about? Being more strict with your fasting and not the food in your window?

Being strict for me is not eating tell 5. After that I eat tell 9:30 or so. On workout days, I won't start eating tell 6 or so. I never restrict in the evening quantity or type of food. I do try to eat healthy though but I do have my deserts too. I can maintain eating low carb big salads for lunch with some meat in them and still eat as I please in the evenings but I won't lose much doing that. I have to fast tell 5 to lose. If I do that everyday I lose between 1-2 lbs/week. If I have cheat days, it is less.

Even though I don't limit food types or quantities in the evenings, I find that I don't eat nearly as much junk as I used to. I just don't want as much. For example, I will eat a small bowl of ice cream instead of 2 or 3 large bowls.

Fasting tell five has been hard for me lately. Not white knuckle, but I get some waves like that occasionally but they pass quick. I think it's because I'm running a lot that it is hard. But, it is worth it to me right now because I can lose well when I'm strict and I still am very liberal eating-wise in the evenings so it is sustainable for me. I don't know if a lot of folks would get away with what I'm doing though, especially if they are not doing the exercise. They might but I don't know.

I burn about 300kcal/day x 6days/week = 1800kcals from walking
    I burn about 3000kcals running 4 x week (600,600,900,900)

That is an extra 4800kcal/week or an average of almost 700kcal a day.

My BMR is about 2000kcal/day and my average TDEE is about 2700kcal/day so I can eat that much every day on the average and not gain weight! That allows me to eat decently in the evenings which keeps me going. The exercise allows 700kcal more/day without any ill effects and probably helps my BMR to be higher also. I think fasting lets me eat even more calories than that due to the requirement of the body to perform gluconeogenesis while fasting (more than 1-cal of fat required to produce 1-cal of glucose). I don't know the magnitude of that effect but I think it is significant. See http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/3/519.full

• minigrrll
    Options
    Ok cool - that makes me feel better! :) It's having to not eat until I'm full that I'm scared of...
  • blambo61
    Options
    I added a little more to my comment before this. Not eating tell full would be a major bummer for me also.
  • minigrrll
    Options
    That’s awesome Bob, I love how on top of the numbers you are...

I think I have to fast until 5 at least 5 days a week to lose (right now anyway, this may change later). I do find that I eat significantly less at one time than I could before though - I physically can’t handle too much and get over full very quickly (well more quickly than I used to, likely not nearly as quickly as a “normal” person!!)

That’s why a longer eating window like I had yesterday can be very dangerous for me. I can definitely pack in the calories by grazing over a long period as I never get full. I think I do best on a two to three hour window with a snack while I’m cooking and eating until full and then stopping until the next day. My “eating until full” amount is pretty large which is why the whole OMAD thing is so awesome for me. If I ate until full 3 meals a day, I’d be eating a massive amount. Oh yeah, that’s what I used to do, no wonder I was so overweight!!!
  • Jim_fbr
    Jim_fbr Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Yes there were a few pauses but after a few weeks if I sensed a real slowdown I'd try something new or shake up the routine usually with some type of extended fasting. That seemed to do the trick each time. Overall the lower I got there was a gradual slow down, and
    now it has slowed down even more but I'm below my goal weight and trying some different things so I'm fine with slower weight loss like 1-2 lbs per month rather than every week. The first 3/4 of the way was like a freefall, the final 1/4 was more incremental little steps.

Interesting... I still have close to 20 lbs I'd like to lose (and may even go lower if it happens without restricting) so I'm only a little over half way to goal. Will just have to wait and see!

Same here, I want to lose another 10 pounds but I'm going to make that a winter project, say December / January IL go back into weight loss mode to get it off then from that point it will be maintenance.
  • minigrrll
    Options
    I gained today - totally could feel that I'd gained! Didn't do anything different, probably the weekend catching up with me. Also I really feel like the weights from the past 2 days have been artificially low, most likely due to dehydration from travelling...

6bqwhb5hyztt.png
  • blambo61
    Options
    That’s awesome Bob, I love how on top of the numbers you are...

I think I have to fast until 5 at least 5 days a week to lose (right now anyway, this may change later). I do find that I eat significantly less at one time than I could before though - I physically can’t handle too much and get over full very quickly (well more quickly than I used to, likely not nearly as quickly as a “normal” person!!)

That’s why a longer eating window like I had yesterday can be very dangerous for me. I can definitely pack in the calories by grazing over a long period as I never get full. I think I do best on a two to three hour window with a snack while I’m cooking and eating until full and then stopping until the next day. My “eating until full” amount is pretty large which is why the whole OMAD thing is so awesome for me. If I ate until full 3 meals a day, I’d be eating a massive amount. Oh yeah, that’s what I used to do, no wonder I was so overweight!!!

I'm the same way, once I start eating, I can just keep eating so I have to do something like OMAD to control the calories. I also need to eat tell full to make it sustainable. So If a 4-hr window didn't work for me, I would just start eating later until it did work for me and I would still eat tell full and keep "topped off" for a shorter time which is how I eat (eat tell full, graze and stay topped off). I like the feeling of being full which can lead to overeating easily if I start eating early in the day.
  • blambo61
    Options
    I gained today - totally could feel that I'd gained! Didn't do anything different, probably the weekend catching up with me. Also I really feel like the weights from the past 2 days have been artificially low, most likely due to dehydration from travelling...

6bqwhb5hyztt.png

You are probably right about the dehydration. Your weight is still below the trend line though so that is good!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    quoting: Your weight is still below the trend line though so that is good!

Yes, I agree!!

• minigrrll
    Options
    Well, almost back down to where I was, go figure. We had a lovely Thai coconut yellow curry with cashews and peanuts and spinach and butternut squash with Jasmine rice last night. I didn’t read the recipe properly and added the whole supplied container of yellow curry paste which made it a bit hotter than it should have been, but I thought it was perfect. Can’t imagine what it would have been like if I’d only added half as per instructions...

I also went shopping yesterday and bought 2 dresses in Medium and a jacket in a size 10 AUS (6 US)... Pretty happy about that because for me, it’s all about the clothes!!

6qte1lbm0ore.jpeg
  • blambo61
    Options
    Well, almost back down to where I was, go figure. We had a lovely Thai coconut yellow curry with cashews and peanuts and spinach and butternut squash with Jasmine rice last night. I didn’t read the recipe properly and added the whole supplied container of yellow curry paste which made it a bit hotter than it should have been, but I thought it was perfect. Can’t imagine what it would have been like if I’d only added half as per instructions...

I also went shopping yesterday and bought 2 dresses in Medium and a jacket in a size 10 AUS (6 US)... Pretty happy about that because for me, it’s all about the clothes!!

6qte1lbm0ore.jpeg

I'm glad someone likes to clothes shop cause it sure isn't me. I almost would rather visit the dentist! :) Sporting goods, now that is another story!
  • RunnerHannah
    RunnerHannah Posts: 24 Member
    Options

6qte1lbm0ore.jpeg

Hey minigrrll what app is that? Is that myfitnesspal that shows you all that data? Sorry im new here!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Nope it’s www.trendweight.com. There are a few others too, HappyScale for iOS and Libra for android are two that come to mind. I love the data!
  • minigrrll
    Options

6qte1lbm0ore.jpeg

I'm glad someone likes to clothes shop cause it sure isn't me. I almost would rather visit the dentist! :) Sporting goods, now that is another story!

Well, I like the clothes... The actual shopping not so much. I do most of my shopping online.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I am not one for shopping either. My husband is the shopper in our house. I'd rather shop online as well.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would rather shop online but unfortunately clothing sizes are not all the same and I need to try on just about everything :/