Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Had a low carb day. Overall sticking with it. Still hoping to string a few great keto days together before too long.
    Holding steady in other areas. Trying to keep things drama free and well paced. Doing okay with that since I'm mostly a hermit these days.
    Made some progress with holiday travel plans to spend time with my son...still no definite dates, but it will most likely happen. So that is good.
    After a week or so of fearing a scale reckoning, I was pleased to find out that, alas, while I was at my top weight of the past year...at least I was NOTabove it. Very relieved about that, and now it's back to the races again...the law of averages is starting to be heavily in my favor and I feel sure that in the near future, success will be within my grasp..goodbye 20 pound albatross....your days are numbered.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    omerfkhan wrote: »
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Ortiz1226 wrote: »
    My husband and I started keto approx. 5 weeks ago. My husband has lost about 19 lbs so far and I have lost 13 lbs as of this morning. Anyone have any successful fat bomb recipes? I tried one and it was horrible. Also, please add me as a friend, could always use more support from my keto community.

This is one is my go to... https://ketosummit.com/chocolate-almond-fat-bomb-recipe-paleo-keto-lowcarb

Edited to add that since I’ve been doing this for awhile, I don’t use fat bombs as part of my regular diet anymore but I put them in ice cube trays for smaller portion sizes to keep in the freezer and eat as a treat. I ate those instead of my kids Halloween candy... it worked like a charm :) .

hi

i checked this site for choclate almond fat bomb it says per serving have 6 g of carbs if i have to stay below 20 g per day how can i eat it? if i eat 3 servings that will be 18 g.

i am confused how you people use these fat bombs and stay below 20 g of carbs per day?

I'll venture to say that is either 1 huge choco/almond fat bomb or the calculations are for an entire recipe of a few fat bombs and you need to divide the total recipe by the number of fat bombs in the recipe. Additionally that could be total carbs and many folks count net carbs. A serving of almonds has 6 total carbs, 4 grams of fiber so only 2 net carbs.

I don't eat many fat bombs but when I did they were often choco almond and were tiny little things with a tablespoon of coconut oil (or half tablespoon) and a few almond slices or slivers for crunch.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started keto approx. 5 weeks ago. My husband has lost about 19 lbs so far and I have lost 13 lbs as of this morning. Anyone have any successful fat bomb recipes? I tried one and it was horrible. Also, please add me as a friend, could always use more support from my keto community.

This is one is my go to... https://ketosummit.com/chocolate-almond-fat-bomb-recipe-paleo-keto-lowcarb

Edited to add that since I’ve been doing this for awhile, I don’t use fat bombs as part of my regular diet anymore but I put them in ice cube trays for smaller portion sizes to keep in the freezer and eat as a treat. I ate those instead of my kids Halloween candy... it worked like a charm :) .

hi

i checked this site for choclate almond fat bomb it says per serving have 6 g of carbs if i have to stay below 20 g per day how can i eat it? if i eat 3 servings that will be 18 g.

i am confused how you people use these fat bombs and stay below 20 g of carbs per day?

Actually I think you will find that lots of people who do Keto do not use fat bombs, some do, some don't. It depends on what macros they are following and how they choose to get additional fat into their diet.
    Me, I've never had or made one, I'd rather eat a steak with the fat on or a nice piece of cheese or have some olive oil or butter on my vegetables, most of these add no carbs! I follow a low carb Keto diet but keep my fats reasonable for me as I want to loose body fat and not give my body the fat direct. Also I'm lucky not to crave sweet things so never want anything with chocolate in, potato crisps however...............
    Different people, different ways of doing things! You will find what suits you best but there is no need to make or eat fat bombs or drink bullet proof coffee.
    If you are interested in learning more there are some good websites in the 'stickies' and also my favourite is Tuit Nutrition as she is down to earth and very funny, though I guess, like other things she may or may not suit everyone!

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I use a fat bomb when I am desperate for something sweet or crave a candy bar. I make lemon cloud fat bombs which are just cream cheese, coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, lemon juice and a touch of Splenda. Depending upon the size never more than 1g of carbs. Usually less because of the size I make them. I don’t like the chocolate/almond ones and they didn’t satisfy. My go-to is bacon and macadamia nuts. But I have to watch my nut intake. It can quickly get out of control.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

hi

I make twice as many balls as the recipe calls for so each serving (the way I make them) has only 67 calories and 3 carbs. I also don’t eat three, I eat one... as a treat when I want something chocolatey.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Also that recipe had more carbs than others, by virtue of the nut butter and coconut flour. You can make less carby fat bombs, if you really feel you need them in your life. The easiest is Coconut oil and gelatin + tea, flavour extract, or stevia drops of choice.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Also that recipe had more carbs than others, by virtue of the nut butter and coconut flour. You can make less carby fat bombs, if you really feel you need them in your life. The easiest is Coconut oil and gelatin + tea, flavour extract, or stevia drops of choice.

Just to clarify, I eat a fat bomb maybe once or twice a month (if st all). I make a batch, make the second bings half the size and store then in the freezer.

This was not a recipe suggestion as a meal replacement but as a treat. I posted it a while back because someone asked about our favourite fat bomb recipes. Taste wise and as a TREAT, that’s mine.

I never suggested that they should be part of your daily diet and I certainly never implied that 3 in a day would be a good idea.
  • elize7
    Options
    I was not able to have fat bombs and lose weight. That said, I do have eating issues and a very damaged metabolism. I'd rather have my body burn fat from within than add random fat to it...even if it does taste scrumptious!!! Just saying.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    When I first started keto diet and wasn't able to get enough fat from my cooking of food I made fat bombs. Now I can meet my Keto macros very easily through cooking and I also use macadamia nuts, bacon and cheese to help reach my daily goals if needed.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Fat bombs are fine. Absolutely fine when not excessive. Fat is essential. Some people eat lean meat so need a source of fat. Some people don't eat dairy products so no cheese, butter, HWC, etc. and need a source of fat. Everyone does not want cheese sauce on their broccoli or cauliflower...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Fat bombs are fine. Absolutely fine when not excessive. Fat is essential. Some people eat lean meat so need a source of fat. Some people don't eat dairy products so no cheese, butter, HWC, etc. and need a source of fat. Everyone does not want cheese sauce on their broccoli or cauliflower...

Agreed! I don’t do dairy at all so I’m often disappointed at the # of keto recipes and food plans that rely so heavily on it.

I also don’t focus that much on adding fat to my meals. I just choose good cuts of meat (which is a big part of my diet) and that seems to be enough to do the trick.

... oh... and bacon! Mmm... bacon!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    gedanjj wrote: »
    Thought I come in here and say hello! I've been doing keto since August 2017. My starting weight was 267 lbs, and I've lost 55 lbs so far eating on 1530 calories, 20g net carbs and exercising. Lowered my A1c from 10 to 5.5 and my triglycerides from 327 to 93.

That is so good, well done!
  • elize7
    Options
    I am holding steady, for the moment. On all fronts! That is a seriously big time accomplishment in my world. Holidaze, no less!
    Food consumption status: normalizing!!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    I am holding steady, for the moment. On all fronts! That is a seriously big time accomplishment in my world. Holidaze, no less!
    Food consumption status: normalizing!!

Yay! I wish I could say the same. I will never walk away from the keto way of life and I know that in the long run, I’ll still be hanging on and still reap the long term benefits of keto but I am not 100% steady on all fronts... with Christmas parties and dinners and treats everywhere, I still cave in the face of temptation... not every time but from time to time.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I could do with some active keto mfp buddy's I cleared most my mfp friends as most were inactive or against keto except a couple so anyone like a new mfp keto friend please add new one still got 49 lbs left to GO
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I've been really strict with myself the past two weeks. I want to be in strong ketosis on Saturday so I can do this race without bonking at mile 20. I'm set with electrolytes and at the half-way mark my husband will have a couple of fat bombs for me to snarf down. :) I guess I'll do anything to justify a fat bomb or two... even run 26 miles. lol
  • kpk54
    Options
    Best of luck to you @Marcelynh!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    I've been really strict with myself the past two weeks. I want to be in strong ketosis on Saturday so I can do this race without bonking at mile 20. I'm set with electrolytes and at the half-way mark my husband will have a couple of fat bombs for me to snarf down. :)I guess I'll do anything to justify a fat bomb or two... even run 26 miles. lol

@Marcelynh - Bwah ha ha ha! That got me! Best of luck on your race. I hope you do fabulously and far beyond expectations. :)
  • marsia1234
    marsia1234 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Started Keto last week and lost 5 lbs already! Always get great results with keto!
    Having a cheat day the 14th- Christmas night out...
    Other than that, staying motivated over the holidays!