OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• Paulabobadilla
    Paulabobadilla Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Quick in and out. Adi stayed home from Pre-K today with a fever, it's gone now with medicine and she's having a good ole time. Need to run to the bank.

Diane, we are only renovating one house, got use to calling it The blue house lol

Karla, we are not keeping the house we are in now, not up for being a landlord. Lol

Cindy, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. I can't imagine what you are going through with this.

Bert, so glad your fridge saga is almost over. I'm sure you'll be relieved once it's done.

Hi to all!

Paula
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, it has been quite a weekend here. UHC lunch was the biggest so far with about 16 of us attending, some for the first time. My GF who lost her husband went with us as did my gf from the river. Another of the ladies lost her husband to lymphoma a month ago, same disease that took my GFs husband Friday. It was a lunch filled with such love and support. I was so glad we took dinner to Columbus to visit my Denver gf and her husband. The only restaurants around the hotel were fast food. Also her husband who had severe chrons disease as a child and has an ileostomy was having problems with his appliance and spent a lot of time in the bathroom trying to get his bag to stay on. So dining in was appreciated by all and we all relaxed and caught up on our lives. It has been 7 years since we last saw each other and yet it felt like last week. My take away from this weekend is that I am incredibly blessed with the most wonderful people in my life. From my newest Eagle friends to my dear Denver friends of 36 years.

Cindy, I have done some reading on FTD after you told me about it. I wish I had a magic wand to make it not so. I hope you find a support group in your area but please know we are here for online support any time. I think you getting your focus back on better eating is an important step. The old saying "if hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the answer" is apropos. Are you still seeing your therapist?

Paula, poor baby Luis, hope he is on a quick road to recovery. Hate that you are having so much pain but hope you are taking care of yourself.

Karla, glad you and Glenn were able to steal away, however briefly. He really is a gem.

Janet, how did the birthday dinner go. I have never been to Bonefish but have heard great things.

Diane, so glad to have you back in the group and I am ready to talk weight loss. I cancelled my WW membership because I just felt uninspired by the leader and she is the leader for all classes in my area that I can attend. She is at least 50 pounds over goal but most likely it is closer to 80. Same as when I attended her classes 6 years ago. I am going to look into online only because I do like the program and the online tools for tracking.

Did I share the recipe for homemade "Cream of Soup" ? It is delicious, creamy and very low in points. If anyone wants it I will post it. Those still with WW can figure out the pints and share.

Patti
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm going to try to check in more regularly to help with my mindset.

Today I'm trying for mindful eating. I was about to have a cheese stick for a mid-morning snack, and instead I had a hard boiled egg. Zero points on WW (though I haven't rejoined yet) vs. 3 points. Lunch will be leftover enchilada, which is probably about 4 pts, and dinner is planned to be pretty good as well. Always, my downfall is late afternoon snacking. I bought a watermelon, and I think I'll cut that for this afternoon. I need to do some shopping for specific products like the tumaros wraps.

John is having knee replacement surgery in November, and wants to drop ten pounds before that. So at least he will be on board with keeping some snack foods out of the house!

Is anyone still doing WW meetings who wants to sign me up as a friend? Are they still offering the free month for each if you do that?

Cindy, my heart goes out to you. A friend and neighbor went through this with her husband, a brilliant astrophysicist. She eventually had to get a day-time caregiver for him, and then eventually put him into a dementia living home. He was still physically fit and strong, but could not be left alone and became too much for her to physically be able to manage his care. I'm so sorry you are facing this. The one saving grace - you know his emotional changes are due to his illness and not to his actual feelings towards you.

Karla, I hope you can demonstrate Kerry's need for Hospice. That is tough - trying to prove that he has a terminal condition. My MIL was on hospice for the last few weeks. It did get her a hospital bed and tray table, plus some medications that eased her pain. I know there are more services available if you get enrolled early enough to avail yourself of them, but that wasn't the case for us.

Diane
  • luzingg
    Options
    Diane, where did you get the pattern for the car seat blankets? I have 2 greatgrandbabies due in Feb and would like to make some for them.

Decided to share the recipe for Cream soup base. It is much tastier and way lower in points than the canned versions (which actually gag me, lol)
    2 cups powdered non fat milk
    3/4 cup corn starch
    1 tsp each garlic powder, dried parsley, dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp pepper
    This is the basic recipe, I added 1 tsp celery seed, 1 tsp dried oregano

To prepare mix 1/3 cup powder with 1 1/4 cups cold or room temp water. Heat, stirring constantly until thickened. This is the equivalent of 1 can of soup. You can add chicken, beef or vegetable bouillon when you reconstitute based on your recipe or you can mix the powder with chicken, beef or veggie stock instead of water. The best "stock in a box" I have found, high in flavor and low in sodium, is Kitchen Basics unsalted stock, all flavored. I usually make my own stock out of rotisserie chicken carcasses and veggies.

Can somebody tell me how many points are in the powdered milk?
    This keeps for several months in an airtight container on a shelf or for up to a year in the freezer. One of the men in my meeting used this to make turkey sausage gravy and biscuits. Said it was the first time in over a year he had eaten his most favorite breakfast food and it was the bomb.

Bert, I will believe Fridgegate is over when I see a picture of the new fridge, lol. Still unbelievable how long this has gone on. Enjoy your trip to Chicago.

Patti
  • luzingg
    Options
    me again, lol
    Just signed up for online only. free to join, first month free then 7 months at $17.10, after that it reverts to normal price of $19.95/month.

I figured the points on the soup. 4 pts for 1/3 cup of the dry powder.
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I’m an online WW member. The weekly in online so I can read about the topics they discuss anyway. I’m trying to stay within my daily points. Some days are just a struggle to stay within points I do the best I can.
  • EniadS
    Options
    Patti, the pattern for the car seat blankets is at http://projectsbyjess.blogspot.com/2011/03/car-seat-blanket.html

I use the Wright's bias for the edging. It takes two packages (well, one and a half if you have some left from another project) of double wide, double fold to do the outside edges, and one package of single wide, double fold to do the edges of the strap cut outs.

I make them with flannel. I tried with fleece, but it was just too bulky to work with. I did use the double wide, double fold for both the outside edges AND the strap cut outs when I used fleece.

The latest ones were for a woman who loves dogs, especially her dachshunds. I found some really cute flannel at Joann's, pale grey with pink and teal dachshunds on it, and edged it with pink binding and backed with grey polka dots. The other was a black and red and scarlet dog print, edged with scarlet and backed with black and white dog print.
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I have a PT session today. I'm looking forward to going to the gym as I haven't been there in a while. Tonight is Pastor Parish meeting to complete staff evaluations. This will be my last meeting as I'm stepping down as chairperson. I don't want to be part of it anymore. I definitely feel that there needs to be a change somehow in our church as we are in a financial crisis and aren't attracting younger families.

Diane: Mike doesn't need to lose weight and that is one reason I struggle especially for dinner. I used to make two separate meals each night, but have stopped doing that. I just need to watch what I eat during the day. I've been doing pretty well the last couple of weeks. I usually have about 11 points left around dinner time.

Have a good day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Options
    Hi all, it was a very productive day around the house. Lots of cleaning and now I just need to get Edd to do something about his pig pen in the living room. He just piles everything around his chair and desk. Makes me crazy, but after 33 years I don't think I am going to get him to be any neater.
    TRX is going great and I feel stronger with every class. I need to add some aerobic activity a couple of days a week. Love classes but there are none I want to take at the gym. Really need to get reacquainted with Leslie, lol.

Diane, thanks for the link to the blanket. I just hate working with binding so will probably sew it right sides together and turn, then just use the binding on the strap openings. I will sew around the outside edge to finish it instead of the binding. I love that Leo's parents are keeping the same theme for the new baby, woodland creatures in neutral colors. There are plenty of flannel patterns I can choose from. My granddaughter is doing elephants and arrows in grays. We have lots of both to choose from in flannel. The new super comfy flannel is really nice, slightly higher priced but still very affordable when on sale and with my discount.

Bert, Edd needs to lose a few pounds and doesn't really care what I fix. Unfortunately his eating outside the house is why he can't lose. Can you just add extra carbs to Mike's meal so you don't have to fix different main dishes? I know stepping down was a big decision but you probably need the break. You do so much, time for someone else to step up and give you a break.

Waving hi to all the rest here. Time to shower and then off to Mom's for some quality time.

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hi, all - overdue for a quick stop-by. Things are good here (except for the dagblasted hideous weather continuing).

Am also trying to get a handle on food here ... did pretty well at Bonefish. Unlike my birthday dinner, when the service was (uncharacteristically) slow and surly, this was a terrific experience. Our server was first-rate - we praised him to the manager, and again when I did the online survey. We had a nice white wine, Bang-Bang Shrimp to start. I had a small salad and we split the sea bass entree, with James getting all but one bite of the coleslaw and 3/4 of the mashed potatoes. I did have a couple of small piece of bread, but I'm OK with what I had for a celebration meal. James is sick today (some intestinal bug again, plus allergies, and this horribly hot and humid weather is not helping). I'm doing laundry and other small, quiet, necessary household tasks.

Have read all and will do personals soon. Know that you're all in my heart every day. Sending virtual hugs.
  • Paulabobadilla
    Options
    Good evening,

Quick check in. I finally couldn't deal with the pain anymore so I'm on 1250mg of Prednisone for the next 5 days so I'll be out of commission because it wreaks havoc on my MS. I also have fast acting insulin for times when I do steroids but it's really hard to keep my sugars down. Wish me luck!

I'll be back once I'm myself again.

Paula
  • EniadS
    Options
    Hello all - late check in for me. I had Elise for the day today, so that really keeps me on the go! She did take a good nap today, almost two hours, so I took a nap too! Then two church meetings tonight.

Mindful eating is okay. I didn't snack nearly as much today, partially because we ate a very early (for us) dinner between my 4:00 and 6:30 meetings at church. Trying now NOT to have much of a late night snack. I know it is just munchies not hunger.

Back tomorrow. I'm thinking of going back to the WW meeting on Thursday.
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. The meeting went well and we had great conversations. We got the pastor's evaluation done and discussed the budget for salaries. Unfortunately, we have to meet again to evaluate staff, so that will definitely be my last meeting.

Paula: so sorry to hear you are in pain. Good luck with the insulin and steroids.

Diane: I'm an online WW member. I didn't care for the meetings after awhile; however, that is when I lost most of the weight. Good luck with your decision.

Patti: I try to make different side dishes. I just need to be more mindful of my portions. Mike is simply a beef eater, and I'm not interested in making two different proteins. So, I'll try to watch portions better.

Waving hi to Janet, Karla, and Cindy. I need to get organized and be ready to leave for Chicago in a couple of hours. Have a great day!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Options
    Good morning, so nice to see your smiling faces today. Feeling like our little family is returning to the fold, lol. Had a nice visit with Mom yesterday. Other than her short term memory being a bit sketchy, she is still a great conversationalist. I am learning more about her early years, just cute stories I've never heard before and some that I have heard multiple times but love to listen to her either way.
    My gf and I are going to see Downton Abbey on Monday and will see the new Maleficient when it comes out. So excited. Today the lunch will be at a new locally owned restaurant that is Dayton themed. They have named their menu items after the businesses and people that shaped our town, like the Wright brothers, NCR, James Patterson, etc. Kind of makes me sad when I think that Dayton used to be known for it's inventors and inventions. Now we are famous for drug overdoses, human trafficking and murders.

Paula, hate that you have to do the high dose steroids. Wish there was another option. Will be thinking of you and praying for you.

Bert, I think portion control is my biggest problem too. I am a huge beef fan but Edd would rather have any other protein. We have eaten more beef this summer than we have eaten in the past 10 years! My cabin neighbor and my son each bought 1/2 a cow last fall and we have had either steak or hamburger, sometimes both, every weekend. Plus I have a guy that has been getting me some fabulous fillet mignon for next to nothing and we have been partaking of that about once a month at home. The struggle is real, lol.

Diane, I am a late night snacked too and have not found a satisfying no or low point snack to satisfy me. Going to have to work on that. I ate a bowl of strawberries last night but really wanted something salty, crunchy and bad for me. We will figure this out together. Hope you find the meetings helpful. WW sent me a survey asking why I quit the workshops and I told them honestly about not being inspired by a leader who didn't seem to be living the plan. I think they keep her because they can't seem to find anyone to do the workshops. She does more than 1/2 of all the ones available in my area.

Time to get a move on, need to run some milk to Mom before lunch.

Waving hi to the rest of my peeps.
    Patti
  • Paulabobadilla
    Options
    Prednisone update

So I started 1250 mg steroids yesterday for my MS relapse, all went well, my blood sugars are very high at almost 300 and that's with a very high dose of fast acting insulin that I only take when I'm on steroids. Been in touch with my PCP about it. I'm increasing the insulin to see if it'll help get my numbers down. My numbers normally run anywhere from 80 to 127 so this bothers me.

I do have a severe headache from the steroids. I take my next dose soon and hoping I get some sleep. I've been up since 2am so I'm tired, cranky and have a terrible headache.

Hoping for a better day tomorrow! If not for this relapse affecting my legs I would not have taken steroids. Last time I took them I said I'll let relapses ride out unless it affects my eyes or legs.

That's all for now. Food has been crazy, can't stop eating lol the wonderful affects if steroids.

#mssucks
    #diabetessucks
    #prednisonesucks
    #thistooshallpass

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Author unknown

This has been my favorite quote since I heard it on an MS teleconference in 2008. We can't wait for things to pass we need to learn to live and adjust to them. Oh how true this is!!!!
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    DANG - lost a post.

Paula, sending healing thoughts your way - steroids suck, but better than nothing. Please don't push yourself while you're recovering from this relapse.

Patti, I always smile when I think of you and your mom chatting and laughing.

Bert, get to Chicago OK? When you finally get the new fridge, please post a pic. I don't request appliance photos often, but this is a special case.

Waving to Diane, Cindy, and Karla.

Taking Theo to the vet later for a pancreatitis followup. Fingers crossed.
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Arrived in Chicago. Had to drive through the city as the SMWC car isn't registered on the I-pass. I just tried to register it for my return trip, but it won't accept it, so it's another trip through the city.......I'm traveling to Hobart, IN for another student in the morning, so it will probably take longer to get there by driving through the city. At least I get to attend Dylan's baseball game tonight, so that's a plus.

Lindsey is scheduled for her C-Section on October 1. We need to figure out when we are going as it's a 12 hour drive. I definitely want to be there to help her and Justin when the twins come home. Lindsey will let me know when we should be there.

Janet: I'll definitely post a picture. I'll post pictures of the twins, too! Good luck with at the vet's.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • EniadS
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Today is a glorious fall-like day. I woke up to 55 degrees! Only supposed to get into the high 60s today. Yesterday was an okay day food wise. We ate fast food for lunch (not healthy!) but worked like crazy at the land for five hours, so I probably worked it off. Dinner was good, snacking was so-so. John and Carrie are both out of town today, so I am on my own. Hoping to tame the snack monster, and I have decent leftovers for my meals. I'll be out of the house at Jug Bay (the wetlands sanctuary) this afternoon, so will eat my dinner right when I get home to stave off snacking.

So that is a good topic for discussion - how to overcome that snack monster! I'd love any tips or tricks. I am definitely NOT good at that! The only thing I can think of is keeping busy or out of the house.

Paula, so sorry you are going through this. I hope your PCP has some additional advice, and your sugars go down, at least.

Patti, I was so focused on taking care of mom's money and health cares that I didn't just spend time talking over memories. Cherish the time you can do that. We are getting ready for mom's interment at Arlington cemetery at the end of this month, so I am feeling emotional.

Janet, I'm trying to take control of food again too. Since I'm the main shopper, I've tried simply NOT buying the things that draw me to snacking. But the others in the house want to have certain things around. If I can get them things that I am not drawn to, all the better.

Bert, as you are stepping down from some of your church responsibilities, I am stepping up. Hope I don't get overwhelmed.

Karla, I saw the picture of Kerry on FB. For some reason, he is not at all as I pictured him. I guess it's the beard - he looks more like Glenn than like you! Hope he is doing better and your life is less tumultuous.

Cindy, check in when you can and don't worry when you can't. We all know you have a lot on your mind.

Later,
    Diane

• Paulabobadilla
    Options
    Hi all,

Really struggling with my blood sugars. Have injected 78 units of rapid release insulin, 40 units of long lasting insulin and my sugars are still in the 400's told my daughter to check on me in morning so she can inject me if I'm too tired. This crap sucks. Need steroids to make me feel better but throws my diabetes for a loop. Can't win for losing. I'm an emotional mess, I'm mobile, my leg isn't hurting, I am appreciative for that. I'm cutting all carbs tomorrow to see if that helps. Sorry to be a downer but it's safe here for me to unload. If you don't hear from me for a few days just know I'm sleeping it away.

Paula
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Paula, do what you can do. Very glad Kati is there to watch over you. Please give your doc a call this morning and sleep as much as you can. (It really stinks that diabetic supplies are so expensive too. In my world, everyone with blood sugar issues would have a 24-hour monitor and auto-inject insulin system!)

Not much new here - I am getting my hair trimmed and colored this afternoon. Other than that, lots to do here plus a few errands to run. Tomorrow night is the first night of the Pops series, so my friend Meg and I will grab a bite before the concert and catch up. James is feeling better (even asked for and ate biscuits and sausage gravy last night - I had one small serving and he had three). Portion control, my "NO" Mechanism, and the Pause Button are the muscles I'm trying to work on again.

Wishing you all a good day and better weekend.