WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - April 2020

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    edited April 2020
    OK, I really have to focus on my work today and maybe tomorrow. I have a huge project I've promised to get done by Monday. So I have to go quiet for a bit.

Before I go, though.

My Roses:

- I don't have to stress eat.
    - I can look at chocolate now and say, "you have no power over me" and, much like the Goblin King, it doesn't.

My Thorns:

- Gotta be careful not to undereat from stress.
    - Alcohol is just a no go for most situations.
    - My BED has been flaring up in weird ways.
    - My blood test results were awful and sent me into a bad spiral.

My Seeds:

- I had completely fallen off the exercise wagon with the closing of my gym but I'm slowly building it back.
    - Found plenty of restaurants I can order reasonable calorie food from.
    - Logging my food as always.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,029 Member
    It's Wednesday, right?? It is a gorgeous day here today, to be followed by lots of rain, so I'll be quick and get outside to do all the outside things today.

I am really enjoying our roses, thorns, and seeds - so here is my first go at them. Revisions are possible.

Roses
    • This has been a weird month, but I have tried a lot of things and successfully said NO to some that really did not work for me. A meditation group started by a friend, using a Deepak Chopra 21-day thing started off OK, but really rubbed me the wrong way pretty quickly. BUT it got me writing and thinking again, rather than avoiding.
    • I have stayed mostly alcohol free. Twice there was some wine in the house, it was shared, and that is all.
    • I have rested the injury that happened on the 11th and is still troublesome. I hate resting.
    • I got a used Fitbit!!! I hope to have fun with it, and connect with some of you :smiley:

Thorns
    • The injury! Falling on the ice has really sidetracked my usual stress-relieving walks, biking, Pilates, and kettlebells. I have found some exercise I can do that does not make things worse, and it is slowly getting better.
    • Feeling sorry for myself.
    • Eating more because I'm doing less...

Seeds
    • Keep logging, preferably pre-logging and sticking with it!
    • Maintain weight
    • Alcohol only on occasion, no more than 1x every 2 weeks is the aim. Or none!
    • Pilates every day, gradually adding back the exercises currently limited by my injury.
    • more to be added!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    xme9l29gdsnv.png

Week 4 Step Team Results

Total Steps: 295,548 (with 5 steppers)
    Total reporting: 100%

And the winners are...

1st Place: @Steph1498 93,799 Wow!
    2nd Place: @KellyBgetsfit 71,395 Yay!
    3rd Place: @micki48 60,225

Way to go Step Team!!!!!

Steppers, We are at 845,407 steps for the month of April so far. Can we make it to 1 million steps this month? Push yourself and try to beat your steps from last week. Are you up for the challenge?? Let's go! We can do it! :)<3
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    @Gidgitgoescrazy So glad to hear you will be rejoining our Step Challenge. Any one else who is interested let me know. New folks, I'll post more about this later this week. We'd love to have you join us.

@eggfreak Sylvia, will you be joining us on our stepping team? You are doing great on FitBit. Yes, I DID just call you out. ;)

Sisters, I LOVE reading your Rose, Thorn, and Seed posts. Let's make May our best month this year!

I'm going to get off this computer and go for a walk on this warm, sunny, breezy day before it changes. Hugs.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    My Roses🌹
    -Working out
    - Sleeping well
    - Spending time outside
    - Inches lost
    - Stopped excessive snacking

My Thorns
    -Stressed out
    -finding balance between home and work

Seeds
    -trying to find a schedule
    - making 1 healthy food change a week
    - logging consistently

• matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    I did it you guys. I DID IT. The woosh happened.

My BMI is under 30.

I'm not obese anymore!!!

I had to lose 88 pounds of bad choices and worse habits, and drop from a BMI of 44 to get here, but there you have it.

Just 40 lbs left to lose (ish). That's not nearly as intimidating as when I started with a goal of losing 120.

I don't know what my reward should be. I'm pretty limited since everything is closed. Maybe I'll hold off and spoil myself at the end of the year.
    @Terytha

Thats great, you must feel awesome

• matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    jguldi11 wrote: »
    @Gidgitgoescrazy have you ever heard of/ tried Kodiak Cakes pancake mix? They're made of whole grains and have extra protein so they don't have the same effect on the body as other pancakes. And they have lots of yummy flavors. Still more carb-y than an omelette but if you gotta have pancakes they hit the spot ☺
    @jguldi11
    Kodiak cakes pancake mix is great, I use it to make banana muffins, great substitute for flour, plus high in protein.

• jugar
    Sorry for being MIA lately, welcome to all the new waistaway team members. I need to refocus again I wouldn't say I have fallen off bad but I'm allowing myself to say its okay for foods that I know will trigger me eating more. I only gained 1 pound last week and I don't want to see another gain on this Saturday's weigh in. I need to regroup and keep my head in the game. I see the light at the end of tunnel, my goal was to lose 120 pounds and I'm at 107.5 i'm getting close. Hope you all are doing okay and hope that more opens up so we can get back to normal.
    It is so amazing how far you have come - you are SO close! I love your new profile photo, by the way. I feel like you're right there! You have done part 1 of getting your head back in the game - keep on going!
  • jugar
    Greetings all!
    Coming to you from rural northeast Alberta just 2 short miles from the Saskatchewan border. I am 61 years old and live in the country with my husband and 2 cats. I spent a lot of years looking after family, work and everybody else and didn't spend the time I needed to look after me and my own health so consequently didn't exercise or make my weight a priority. Then in my late fifties I decided that before it was too late it was my turn and started strength training with a personal trainer at a local gym 2-3 times a week. I love some of the changes I have seen in my body but I have to admit my weight didn't changed as much as I hoped. Once our gym was closed due to Covid-19 I decided this would be a perfect time to focus on weight loss.

So for the past 48 days I have been logging everything and I have managed to lose 12 lbs so far! It's a lot easier when I am doing all the cooking and not eating out/socializing. My starting weight was 200 lbs and I'm 5'4". My goal is 150 lbs although I'll see how that looks/feels when I get there.

I'm looking forward to May and getting to work with all of you!
    Cheers,
    G
    Welcome! My daughter is in Wainright AB, not quite as close to Saskatchewan as you are, but in the same general region, depending how north you are. I'm in Québec, @Terytha is somewhere nearish Calgary - and I think @fourathomej who is coming back to us after a break is also in Alberta.

I'm glad to hear you are using this time to work on the diet - as they say, you cannot out-exercise a bad diet, or even a good diet that just has too much of a good thing going inside you. I lost 40 pounds starting in my late 50s and got in shape then too - it sure feels good, doesn't it? I have kept it off for close to 8 years now, with a few small bounces but generally within a good zone. You can do it too! Twelve pounds already gone, you are off to a fantastic start. The hard part is sticking with it, so you have done the right thing giving this team idea a try. I know for quite a few of us it has made a huge difference. I hope it works for you too!
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    Thanks @jugar for your kind welcome. I hope my health journey at this point in my life is as successful as yours as been! We're about an hour and a half north of Wainwright. But in this part of the world that's practically around the corner.
  • jugar
    Another new person on the way soon! @fogmini will be with us and ready for May.
  • justinb_83
    justinb_83 Posts: 6 Member
    @jugar Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to the journey and I am eagerly anticipating the challenge!
  • jugar
    Hi everyone,

My name is Jennifer and I live in Alpine, Ca with my family. I am new to the group and exited to join. My goal is to drop 115 pounds and I think being a part of a weekly weigh in is going to be a huge motivator for me to stay on track. Having to log my food every time I eat already has me more aware of the amount of calories I was consuming. I really under estimated. I also recently picked up a Samsung watch to track my steps and realized I don't walk nearly as much as I thought. I am amazed at my lack of self awareness. I am motivated though and look forward to meeting everyone. I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. :smiley:
    Welcome Jennifer! You had me worried for a minute there. There was no "RaisedToRamble" on my list of new team members, and I was worried I had forgotten someone - but you changed your user name, right? You used to be JenoHayford. I have to say I like your new user name a lot!

Now that my mini panic has been averted (don't I wish they were all that easy to resolve!), it is great to have you with us. You are right that the most important step is to develop all that awareness. How much are you really eating, stepping, burning, etc. It isn't always fun to look those in the face, but it sure helps! I am sure you'll have a great time working through all the ins and outs of this weight loss and fitness journey with us - you'll soon see that we share the ups AND the downs - and generally keep things going pretty well in the end. It might be slow, but it gets there! Once you know us, our voices will be in your head when you reach for that inadvisable food or try to skip your exercise. And yours will be in our heads. Keep well and chat often!
This discussion has been closed.