Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    “ The only way past is through”................”A goal without a plan is just a wish”

I love these to Larger Loser quotes and I say them many times a day as I continue on this journey I started almost 200 days ago.....i have them both on sticky notes inside my pantry!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Here's one for you, @conniewilkins56 and group!

"There are only two days in the year when nothing can be done.
    One is called Yesterday and the other is called Tomorrow.
    So Today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."

~ Dalai Lama
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    Here's one for you, @conniewilkins56 and group!

"There are only two days in the year when nothing can be done.
    One is called Yesterday and the other is called Tomorrow.
    So Today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."

~ Dalai Lama

I love this, thank you!....
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    WARNING:......Chocolate makes your clothes shrink!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    There is probably not anything anyone can do to completely escape the neurosis that is weight loss. The only thing we can do is always identify it when it happens and do not do anything radical as a result of it.

As I battle my own irrational feelings at the moment over going too long without my spreadsheet to properly comfort me this has come up. I have said it hear a number of times that we are still human and we can't beat ourselves up over fears, baggage, emotions, etc. We just have to always keep an eye out for them and try to maintain an objective perspective. Obviously the most common problem is the bathroom scale not behaving. You don't have to like it but do not start a 3 day fast trying to force it to move.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am fighting for and to defend my freedom.

As far as epiphanies go this was one of the biggest ones I have had recently. While away for the weekend with my nephew and doing things I have not done ever or not done since I was a teenager it made a profound impact on me. I have talked about being in a prison or a cell of my own fat but I am not sure I even realized how much I had given up.

When I was a teen I loved to just get out and walk. I would willingly walk multiple miles roundtrip to go to a store. It was even better on vacation when I could get out and explore which is something you can do much better on foot than you can in a vehicle. While my nephew napped (he was a week recovered from the flu plus the kid sleeps A LOT) I did this several times. It felt like I was a kid again. Fat made me feel older than my chronological age. I feel younger than I am now. It is amazing.

There are a lot of important things I have done for myself. Losing weight is not the most important but it is at the top of the list.

Even though my remaining weight loss is under 15 percent (I think) I believe there is still more freedom to win. I also believe that I have to work extra hard at preparing for maintenance because this freedom is too valuable to lose again.

Weight loss is liberation.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    yikes 'hear' should have been 'here' - I find it really weird that I often do a homophone typo when I am talking on the phone.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Ms Google and I have an iffy relationship. Especially when she corrects me without permission and after the fact!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    “We can’t fix weight loss but we can fix dinner.”

Just made that one up on another message board.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Moderate Your Sense of Urgency

I think from the very beginning most of us have a sense of urgency to get the weight off. As it begins to happen and NSVs start to stockpile it can start to have a gravitational pull and it reinforces that sense of urgency. Who doesn't want more of a good thing?

I was thinking about some of the advice I have given recently and throughout as I have tried to help people. I always urge caution on premature reactions to limited data. I still think that is wise because I do not think it is helpful to lose 5 pounds in a week and assume the next week you can eat a lot more just to end up disappointed or worse gaining weight.

The thing is some, maybe most, of the time I am more concerned with a person wasting time. It is true this is a dangerous thing at the beginning of a weight loss effort but not so much for a person who is fairly stable. I also realize that I am STILL afraid of wasting my own time even though I am not actually that invested in these final pounds. I have more I can lose and I can still lose pretty easily so I should press on but these are mostly vanity pounds now. I am a little too hardwired to think that if I am trying to lose weight I need to be losing the amount I am targeting.

I have been able to moderate my sense of urgency and take time off for holidays, vacations, breaks, etc. but I think I need to work on it a little more.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Everything is Part of the Plan/Process

This is something that I have been saying for quite some time. It is part of my decision that I would change my "normal." Since my normal has never been perfect I have no reason to expect that the process of losing weight would be perfect either. This mindset is important to me because it reminds me there is never a reason to quit and as long as I never quit I am progressing towards something better. Notice I didn't say progressing towards a goal even though that may happen too. Goals can be unrealistic though. They can also be modified. I have never known my goal weight. I still don't. My plan is to improve my situation. I can often make a small improvement in a day. Those small improvements add up to moderate ones and moderate ones add up to major ones.

• bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options

This is something that I have been saying for quite some time. It is part of my decision that I would change my "normal." Since my normal has never been perfect I have no reason to expect that the process of losing weight would be perfect either. This mindset is important to me because it reminds me there is never a reason to quit and as long as I never quit I am progressing towards something better. Notice I didn't say progressing towards a goal even though that may happen too. Goals can be unrealistic though. They can also be modified. I have never known my goal weight. I still don't. My plan is to improve my situation. I can often make a small improvement in a day. Those small improvements add up to moderate ones and moderate ones add up to major ones.
    This is great! This reminded me of something. Back in 2012 I had planned a trip to Europe with my sister, and for 4 months I had the goal of losing as much weight as possible before the trip. After the trip I felt a bit lost and was worried that I would give up because I didn't have that trip motivation anymore. An online weight watcher friend at the time said to just tell myself "this is who I am now" or "this is what I do now". I have always found that helpful. I think it fits right in with "changing my normal", even if that's not how she worded it. This same woman was adamantly against setting scale goals (especially timed scale goals.) I learned a lot from her. Anyway, I just appreciated the reminder that this is about changing my normal and it's not about working toward a goal.
  • NovusDies
    Options

This is great! This reminded me of something. Back in 2012 I had planned a trip to Europe with my sister, and for 4 months I had the goal of losing as much weight as possible before the trip. After the trip I felt a bit lost and was worried that I would give up because I didn't have that trip motivation anymore. An online weight watcher friend at the time said to just tell myself "this is who I am now" or "this is what I do now". I have always found that helpful. I think it fits right in with "changing my normal", even if that's not how she worded it. This same woman was adamantly against setting scale goals (especially timed scale goals.) I learned a lot from her. Anyway, I just appreciated the reminder that this is about changing my normal and it's not about working toward a goal.

And here I thought I was the first person to ever think this way. :disappointed:

Kidding of course.

Sometimes we are lucky to find people like that by happenstance. Most of the time we have to be looking for them though. The internet and world are full of wise people but it is all full of unwise and not-yet-wise all sharing their thoughts too.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Continuous Excess Food is a Depressant

Physically and to different degrees mentally food that keeps adding to our fat levels depresses our lives. The very thing that gives us energy to live and move in continuous excess does the exact opposite. It robs us of years and given enough time and fat it takes more and more of our ability to move easily and possibly at all. The thing that seems to give us joy when we eat it, in continuous excess, then becomes one of the few joys we have left. It is insidious.

There is a grief period as you come to grips with the realization that you can no longer eat whatever you want whenever you want if you wish to have long term results. We think we are giving something important up. I guess it did become important to me because it forced out so much of the other pleasures of my life it was one of the few remaining. I don't miss those days as much as I did in the first year of loss. I compromise by allowing shadows of those kinds of days on special occasions but even then it is not really the same because I am being a responsible adult and the control is in offsetting days. It may be too much food but I pay for it before or eventually after. The days I have given up were parts of my childhood that lingered well into my 40's. That story will be different for other people.

Awareness is part of our defense. We need to see food as the asset to life it is with the pitfalls it also represents if not managed correctly. The NSVs that I have accumulated can all be forfeited if I choose to stop paying attention. I need to hold on to them tightly when any old urges surface.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    What are you Sacrificing that you Need so much Motivation?

What are you giving up that you need the scale to go down or other motivation to keep you going? You are eating less food. You are possibly moving more. You are gaining better health and fitness. You are losing more food than you need to be eating and a shorter and poorer quality life. You are gaining freedom and a higher quality of life. You are exchanging a fleeting moment of pleasure for more possibilities of lasting pleasure.

I am not being preachy here. I have to be reminded of this pretty often myself.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    r3b2ghj8bdpk.jpg
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    7ba9kuizwbgd.png