Non Scale Victories

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    So, I over ate today. Why then am I calling this a NSV? Because I was able to recognize today that my body's hormones, stresses, whatever, are just demanding more food today than usual. So I consciously gave myself permission to eat at maintenance today. Not go hog-wild, not eat everything in sight, not sneak here and there and try to hide from myself, and most importantly, not trying to guilt trip myself over it. That's the NSV part - I'm not feeling guilty about allowing myself a maintenance day.

I am almost in tears over this!
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So, I over ate today. Why then am I calling this a NSV? Because I was able to recognize today that my body's hormones, stresses, whatever, are just demanding more food today than usual. So I consciously gave myself permission to eat at maintenance today. Not go hog-wild, not eat everything in sight, not sneak here and there and try to hide from myself, and most importantly, not trying to guilt trip myself over it. That's the NSV part - I'm not feeling guilty about allowing myself a maintenance day.

That is a good NSV. I love reading about everyone's NSV's. I think they motivate me more than the numbers. I had a couple of maintenance days myself over the past 2 weeks and I don't worry about them. I'm determined to enjoy the journey and not worry about a day here and there. Good for you.
    Luann
  • deafenbaugh
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    I started painting the guest room yesterday - first time I've done any painting since pre-weight loss. Wow is it different this time!
    • I didn't get tired from bending over and taping the trim.
    • I didn't have to check if the ladder could hold my weight.
    • Lifting and moving the ladder around felt SO MUCH easier than before.
    • My dislike of heights did not bother me at all while up on the ladder (This is more related to anxiety being under control than weight loss, but they all kind of go together for me).
    • I didn't get tired or sore from climbing up and down the ladder.

That is a pretty remarkable NSV because painting is not easy. I love the NSVs. I just told bmeadows that I think they motivate me more than the numbers.
    Luann
  • deafenbaugh
    Options
    MuttiNM wrote: »
    This one won't seem like much to most of you but it is a big deal to me. I got up from my dining room chair without using my hands. This was one of the goals I set when I first started the journey to improve my health and fitness. It took me a long time to achieve this but it's made me unreasonably happy to finally be able to do it. :)

"Chair stands" are actually a warm up to a strength program I follow from an old book called "Strong Women Stay Young". I started out doing a modified version by using my hands to help get up & down. I then focused on slowly lowering myself without using my hands. A few weeks ago I tried to get up without using my hands. I was able to do it once and then couldn't do anymore. I was thinking I should try again, maybe next week. Then today I thought, heck, might as well try today during the 2nd set. And I actually did 6 of the 8 reps without my hands. It felt like a miracle!

Good job! Great NSV!
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @speyerj Nice job! Congrats!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    This one won't seem like much to most of you but it is a big deal to me. I got up from my dining room chair without using my hands. This was one of the goals I set when I first started the journey to improve my health and fitness. It took me a long time to achieve this but it's made me unreasonably happy to finally be able to do it. :)

"Chair stands" are actually a warm up to a strength program I follow from an old book called "Strong Women Stay Young". I started out doing a modified version by using my hands to help get up & down. I then focused on slowly lowering myself without using my hands. A few weeks ago I tried to get up without using my hands. I was able to do it once and then couldn't do anymore. I was thinking I should try again, maybe next week. Then today I thought, heck, might as well try today during the 2nd set. And I actually did 6 of the 8 reps without my hands. It felt like a miracle!

@MuttiNM

Getting out of a chair without using my hands was an NSV for me but for a different reason. In fact, extricating my once considerable bulk from a chair required so much effort I broke the arm rests of my easy chair two different times.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

@Novusdies I missed this reply earlier, but you gave me a chuckle regardless lol You've just been trying to pound that into me for how long now? Can't promise it'll be that way all the time, though!

Today's NSV, though I supposed technically it might not really count as an NSV: I'm dispatching for storm work at home. Unfortunately, that keeps me glued close to the computer and sitting for long stretches. What is good about this, however, is that since I'm doing it from home, I'm not around the tons of snack foods that usually get brought in or the calorie dense meals that are usually catered. I have complete control over what I eat. And since I have a strong control over what snack foods are in my house, I'm not sitting here mindlessly munching away while working on the computer. My setup is in the back bedroom away from the kitchen and I don't have much that is easily snacked on anyway.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options

I would love to see the expression on Novus face and the eye rolls when he reads some of our posts and comments!...when I go back and read my old posts over a year ago, I sounded so weak!...losing weight and feeling better has made me feel so much stronger and in control of my life!.....I can almost hear him saying, “ I told you so!”
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

I would love to see the expression on Novus face and the eye rolls when he reads some of our posts and comments!...when I go back and read my old posts over a year ago, I sounded so weak!...losing weight and feeling better has made me feel so much stronger and in control of my life!.....I can almost hear him saying, “ I told you so!”

*laughs* yeah, but I bet we might a few from him that would protect us from some blackmail, at least!
  • NovusDies
    Options

I am honestly never even close to an "I told you so" moment. I feel so grateful that you allow me to be a small part of your journey forward. I have no expectation that anyone should ever listen to me. My credentials are far from impressive considering I failed so much for 30 years. Some of those failures were exact carbon copies of failures that already failed before.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options

I am honestly never even close to an "I told you so" moment. I feel so grateful that you allow me to be a small part of your journey forward. I have no expectation that anyone should ever listen to me. My credentials are far from impressive considering I failed so much for 30 years. Some of those failures were exact carbon copies of failures that already failed before.

And we are so grateful that you started this group!....you never say “ I told you so “ but you have to think some of us whine a lot lol....I don’t know if I would still be doing MFP if I hadn’t found this group and some of the members...( knock on wood ) I am in such a good place right now mentally and physically that I don’t want to jinx it!...this has really been an easy week for me and I am SO close to the scale hitting my lowest weight so far!
  • NovusDies
    Options

And we are so grateful that you started this group!....you never say “ I told you so “ but you have to think some of us whine a lot lol....I don’t know if I would still be doing MFP if I hadn’t found this group and some of the members...( knock on wood ) I am in such a good place right now mentally and physically that I don’t want to jinx it!...this has really been an easy week for me and I am SO close to the scale hitting my lowest weight so far!

I believe everyone whines an appropriate amount except me. I whine way too much.

I am pretty close to hitting my lowest weight so far too. I was in a whoosh yesterday. Not sure about today. It doesn't feel whooshy but experience has taught me that is not always easy to figure out. There have been times I was sure I was in a whoosh that I gained the next morning and times I was sure I wasn't when a big drop happened.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options

That's awesome!

• gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    When I started my new job last year (August) I ordered a hospital jacket. I am always cold so I felt like I needed one. I haven't worn it in quite a while. This morning was a little chilly so I grabbed it and threw it on. It is quite big on me. The sleeve are very long and the front is huge. Looks like I will have to order a new one. Sucks I only got a few months with this one.