Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Belleek Echinus teapot. C1880.

01ttw3w0tec2.jpeg

Must move along. Have an appointment this morning.

Lin
    ❤️❤️
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Morning visual. Got 7,000 steps on treadmill before 7am, stopped at grocery store for veggies etc., started my “birthday” gift book ( I have read most of the Killing series…Killing the SS, Killing Jesus, Killing Kennedy, Killing Patton, Killing the Rising Sun, Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy)… and the first photo reminded me I needed to order a Garmin band with a “buckle” as the non-buckle one I have kept falling off… and this… all before 9am. Feels good.

imiesvjwbzkm.jpg

Anne – Nothing like fresh picked apples! I was glad they were still picking some MacIntosh in addition to Gala. Beak & Skiff was rated the “Number One Apple Orchard in the U.S. USA Today “10 Best” Reader’s Choice Award 2017” – I recall decades ago attending their annual festival when it first started – it was tents, etc. back then --- TODAY it is huge and the festival is jammed packed. They even have a well-known distillery operation now. Here is a link to their website: https://beakandskiff.com/ I wish we could have done some strawberry picking this year, but somehow it didn’t happen.

Sandy – You’re a year younger than my oldest brother, but I am pretty sure he isn’t riding a bike like you. You are awesome and look fantastic!

Jackie – Enjoy the Autumn equinox! I took this photo of ours back in 2017… that was shared on the TV news. With regards to masks – I will save the photos, but can’t wait to really connect with people again. Never thought I would miss seeing the expressions on faces so much. LOL

4hw9ulq6p83o.jpg

That’s it so far for the day. Bob
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    We've just got home from a long but very slow walk. Luckily Jilly likes to sniff every blade of grass which helped. First day of autumn and we chatted to one or two neighbours along the way.

Because the news from Britain is fairly grim I've just ordered two Christmas gifts from Marks and Spencer's. JUST in case everything grinds to a halt both here and there. For fun, and to add as stocking stuffers, I've also ordered three packs of cloth face masks. Five in each pack.
    JACKIE, in my previous order I ordered Autograph jeans and they fit lovely. Very pleased. Wearing them today for Bean walking.

Life sure is changing! But although "the nutcracker" ballet is cancelled along with the Christmas market and the vineyards posh restaurant at niagara on the lake for our annual treat is out of the question this year nothing stops Christmas at home!

Thanks for the link BOB! I wonder if I will ever visit your area again! I loved Vermont and the coastal states as well. Kennybunk was a favourite, the old town. Met a white witch there but that's another story!

Well must away and do something to earn my pension!
    Anne.

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    As anticipated I awoke to a misty morning although still mild and took the dogs on to the moors about 9am. We found the Hurlers but although George wanted to continue to the top of the moor I could tell the mist was getting thicker so it would be easy to lose my bearings and instead did a big U-turn and headed back to the car park! Having rubbed the pooches down to get the heavy dew off their tummies I settled them at home then drove to the next town to shop at the quiet supermarket Aldi but actually found it busy since it seems other shoppers have discovered it.... drat! Along the first isle and into the chilled section I was aware a young lady had a continuous cough so although she was wearing a mask decided to get a head of her so as not to touch anything she might! Paranoid perhaps but no point in taking chances. As I packed everything into bags away from the tills a lady tapped on the window from outside and pointed to the floor where one bag had fallen. Even wearing masks we managed to communicate and beam at each other!
    My cupboards are now full, in fact I have extra rice, pasta and and tins to store in a box in the spare bedroom along with the items moved upstairs out of the way of the renovation. Just as well no one can visit me right now because they would struggle to get in there!!

Anne, at the moment our Covid statistics aren't so bad and it only accounts for 1% of deaths in the UK but the worry is the infections will double and quadruple by mid October then the death rate could soar. It's 20-29 year olds that currently have the virus.... no surprises there after their partying in large numbers. Perhaps they will learn from this, perhaps not!
    When I was slimmer I always wore Autograph jeans but these days the stretchy jeggings are so comfortable I don't wear anything else. It's lovely to read you got out walking with Jilly so she could sniff the grass. That's my excuse for ambling across the moors although my iphone tells me (unasked!) that I average 5,000 steps by the time I get home.... slow steps!

Bob, when I lived in Toronto I made several trips either to or through your beautiful State on the way to Vermont and New Hampshire. A fascinating history long before Europeans arrived.
    7,000 steps on your treadmill.... goodness, that would take you to the middle of my moors and back! Are you feeling the benefits of your gym work by now? I imagine you are building muscle strength which in turn should add that 10 lbs weight you are looking for. On one of my walks last week I passed a family of visitors to the area and one young man must have been over 300 lbs so was struggling to keep up and my heart went out to him, not in a feeling sorry sort of way but because not only was he trying but was smartly dressed and had a gorgeous warm smile. I wished I could show him your photo of new jeans against the large pair and tell him how inspirational you are but of course didn't want to embarrass him.
    That photo is stunning but of course if it hadn't been misty and I took a photo of our Equinox sunrise there would be Neolithic standing stones either side!!

That's a pretty cup and saucer Lin but the teapot reminds me of a large marshmallow! :p

Pets doing their best to get my attention so it must be meal time. Hello to everyone I missed, some of whom might have posted while I type.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) As I was driving to the kiddos yesterday it occurred to me that I am 40 years older than Lisa. I told her that and said no wonder I don't have any of your energy. I also told her my dear friends said I shouldn't ride my bike without a helmet and asked her if she had one, she said only a motorcycle helmet from years ago. I laughed and said well that would keep me safe. I also mentioned that you said maybe at my age it isn't a good idea and like Anne, she said why don't I get a three wheeler? That would be an outside recumbent bike, so maybe I will just stick with the one in my bedroom. lol

Jackie, I am glad you distanced yourself from that coughing lady, mask or no mask. There are alot of allergies this time of year but you never know. Are you sure you are only walking 5000 steps when on the Moors? It seems from your pictures it would be a lot more. I too, feel bad when I see an overweight person, I am sure they don't want to be but like any addiction food can be so addictive.

Anne, how is the back?? I too, ordered the kiddos Christmas presents in case delivery slows down closer to the holidays. The older ones get checks so I don't worry about them.
    Not sure what Autograph jeans are but will look them up on google.

Bob, I haven't ridden the bike, not sure if I will. I will admit that I am afraid of falling and breaking a hip or something. I already have bionic knees to set off at the airport so I am good with those. Your picture was very close to a picture they showed on our news in between buildings in Chicago. So beautiful!!

Lin, I hope your appointment went well.

I still have to pay bills, write a talk for my Thursday meeting, ride my bike and visit Joe. Geez, I am already tired. Have a beautiful and healthy day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    For SANDY
    njc9oq9l2fk6.jpg
    I'm not the model.......obviously! Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Nice Anne, but I can't wear skinny jeans for obvious reasons. lol
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    They aren't skinny jeans Sandy. At least I wouldn't call them that. They are sort of a boot cut. Anyway, I really like them and comfy to wear with a little "give".
    Update on poor Tony next door. I haven't seen them lately being somewhat indisposed. He's in the hospital with a blood infection and Maria has to stay with him all day. Actually she sounded much better on the phone, maybe it's easier on her now she's getting help from the nurses. He's been there for six days so far. Thought next door was awfully quiet.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello, I gathered up my tiny bit of courage and ventured out to the dentist this morning. They were very kind but I did not feel that comfortable there. They are all masked up, face shield, totally buttoned up long coats and gloves but there are a number of patients there at the same time, in separate rooms of course but I made it through the hour. Went outside and sprayed myself with Lysol, sprayed my car and used disinfecting wipes on everything. Drove home washed up really well, I think my skin is going to peel off my hands, tossed my clothes in the washer and suited up with different duds. I don’t plan to go back until May of next year unless I have an emergency.

After finishing the laundry, I hauled out my sewing kit and hand sewed a seam that had come out. I was pleased to be able to see well enough with my glasses to thread the needle. I don’t mend often so tried to do a good job.

I made a nice tofu salad for lunch and have been reading and sorting through messages and mail this afternoon.

I ordered a gift for a friend too. Her birthday is in November and I am having it personalized and sent directly to her. She was so kind for years to give me cherry tomatoes every week back when we played Mah Jongg and I have only given her the tiniest of gifts in return. So this should be a surprise. Other than that, I have no plans to get gifts for anyone this year. So good shopping and planning ahead for those of you who have ordered already.

Bob, what an incredibly tidy grocery store. Very appealing (and no people, definitely a plus). I also like the 2019 and 2020 photos. Such stark differences. And your 2017 photo is stupendous. I love it. Thanks for sharing that one.

Jackie, good stock up trip although the encounter with the coughing lady would have made me nervous. I am a person everyone would want to avoid, with allergies I am sneezing, coughing, blowing my nose. Three strikes against me. I read something about another potential shutdown coming for the U.K.? Our case counts and positivity rates are still high and our governor is making it difficult to get testing, again. Long term care facilities want more routine tests available for their employees and residents but she has said no, only if there is an outbreak. Well, doesn’t seem right to me. Oh well, I can do nothing.

Sandy, yes, spending money for an outdoor trike that you can ride only a portion of the year may not be the best use of your funds. As you say you already have a recumbent bike. And you do not need a helmet for that and don’t have to dodge cars, pedestrians and others. I have a few more bills to pay but I have to wait for money! 😂🤣😂

Anne, those slacks look nice, particularly with the model wearing heels rather than flats. Will the Christmas gifts come directly to you to store away until the Holidays? Glad you got a little walk today. We are having a very nice week. I guess colder weather next week. I just peeked under the hot cap and my lettuce has germinated. Oooh now to decide, uncover a bit? Or keep the cap on for another couple of weeks? One of the crazy squirrels was here today digging in raised bed on the deck and was giving it a go to snare snare cherry tomatoes in the biggest pot. That squirrel is trouble!

Belleek makes quite odd teapots by the way. That one is fairly conservative. I will hunt for one of the oddballs I saw a couple of weeks ago and will share tomorrow if I locate it.

Time to listen to the news. Because we all need more to worry about right?

All best wishes Sneakers. Hello to Buzz, Diane, Jeri and Barbie.

Lin
    ❤️❤️🙋🏼‍♀️

• linder4866
    Options
    The teapot I mentioned yesterday.

Belleek Teapot and stand “The Dragon”.

6i850wq9i8er.jpeg

❤️❤️

• Gawanne35
    Options
    Just to mention absolutely gorgeous day on our morning totter and sniffle. Only lasts a few days though. I wish all of summer would be so perfect and comfortable.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    We had rain in the night but nothing spectacular. The garden plants are happy though. A local walk round just half the village then home to wait for delivery of my new electric heaters, now being unpacked. Good service so far and the electrician will be here next Tuesday to wire in as much as is possible.
    George has just quietened after a couple of hours grumbling but Betty found the old dog bed I had thrown on a chair out of the way and slept through the noise I made taking apart a tired old cupboard
    gisqvmyxwp6y.jpeg

Sandy, I had no idea my phone was counting my steps until a couple of days ago when I registered on a Covid research app that is researching lifestyles and how it affects whether one becomes infected. When my friend Jill with Scruff used to walk with me she logged her steps and on a good walk it averaged 5000.

I bought some delicious apples yesterday that I’ve never heard of. Do you know the name ZARI Anne? They’re grown in Kent and taste like a Braeburn/Discovery mix.
    klnyuxvp5rt8.jpeg

I do like today’s teapot Lin. Looks like a creature out of Alice in Wonderland!

Cup of tea then back to sorting my current lounge to make it comfortable while I wait for walls to dry out. It’s supposed to be a lot colder by tomorrow and I can already feel a cool breeze coming through the open door.

Happy Wednesday everyone. Take care
    Jackie

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Anne – I read your comment about autumn only moments after seeing this Irish proverb for the first time: “Autumn days come quickly, like the running of a hound on the moor.” – of course also made me think of Jackie’s walks.

As for shopping – sounds like you are making some smart moves. No doubt we will do more online shopping as the holiday approaches to avoid unnecessary crowds. Glad you enjoyed Kennebunk and Vermont. Jean has visited those areas more than me, but would love to explore with her.

Jackie – You mentioned Toronto and had me thinking back to my first visit…must have been late 70’s or early 80’s. I recall the cleanliness of the city. I returned in the late 80’s but it was a quick bus trip to see The Phantom of the Opera – who didn’t see that one. LOL

Yes – the gym workouts are coming along nicely, even though I hate the weights. I walk a lot daily and shoot for 3 days on weights (but the days fluctuate based upon gym crowd – I like it when I can get down to business and not wait). I can’t believe the improvement in my stamina. Way back in 2013, I can remember only walking less than 5 min without feeling discomfort. Hopefully that 300 lb + man, will find his way.

As for the photo – I can see those Neolithic standing stones of Cornwall now :)

Sandy – You certainly have to do what makes you feel safe and comfortable. And falling is always a big concern for sure. It did have me thinking back to my dad… at 80 he tried out one of the 40+ great grandchildren skate boards in the drive way and then there was the time he went to the local roller-skating rink - without telling anyone (that didn’t last long). He was pretty good at flying kites too. On the flip side – I always worried about the possibility of a fall…but no one would ever think of controlling him.

Lin – The grocery store is called Wegmans – and has grown significantly over the last 100+ years and is now in 7 states. The store is HUGE and has lots of fans and is known for great food selection, organic etc. I generally go when there aren’t any crowds (6am etc.) Mid-day or when people are getting out of work is NOT the time to avoid crowds… It is actually a social time for me and I am on a first name basis with many.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wegmans

Thanks for the photo compliment. I remember going downtown at 5am just to set up for the shot…no one but me and one other photographer.

Well – off for another walk with Jean (she is a bit under the weather but wants to walk).

Yesterday I “mall-walked” alone and pit-stopped at JCP (they extended their store closure to next month) and found this $4.99 bargain (photo). Store closures are horrible, but have been a blessing as I replace those 5XL clothes with just Med-Large.

fdrh4koyx4r5.jpg

Have a great day! Bob
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Nope, never heard of Zari apples JACKIE, and LIN - today's teapot looks like something a Chinese Mafia boss might enjoy using.

Had to smile. I bought a can of spam in case of protein shortage in the next virus wave IF it comes. I haven't eaten spam since I was a kid in WW2. Couldn't resist having a taste today and it's amazing it tastes exactly as I remember 60 years ago! Salty. Some things never change!
    Not sure I'll replace the can though in case of a next virus wave.

BOB you and Jean MUST visit Vermont and old Kennybunk! After all you have no closed borders! I hope it's as I remember and like the spam, hasn't changed! I wonder if the Lobster Pot restaurant still exists in Kennybunk? The white witch had a wild flower and weed garden amidst all the tidy gardens. When her neighbour complained to the town she told me she put a bad luck spell on her, and the next day the neighbours bay window broke. Now whether it was the white witches spell or she chucked a rock at it when all where sleeping, I don't know. She's the only person I've ever met who had a crow sitting in the corner of a living room. It had injured its wing and couldn't fly. Oh, and me being single she told me if I wanted a rich husband I had to get a clipping of my chosen victims toe nail etc. I'm not sure how one would rip someone's socks off in the first place, me not knowing any enormously rich men, only from afar. So here I am, still single, but much richer now I'm on a pension and not going anywhere with the pandemic plus a wonky back, lol. Seem to remember much was involved in the process of making a potion from toe clippings and hair strands as well, etc. Not to mention getting oneself and the victim actually guzzling it!

Anne.🤔
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, the day has wound away from me.

I was going to water the containers on the deck this morning but they didn’t really seem to need it. They will need water tonight or tomorrow as it is hot, sunny and windy.

But what a surprise, some type of critter, presumably a squirrel (who was disturbing the soil in the pots yesterday) or a rabbit got into my pot of newly germinated lettuce. The heavy duty paper cone had been ripped and the ground cover staple was half ripped out and the soil disturbed. Poor lettuce. So I spent time this morning trying to fix the hot kap (pointless), and trying to generally fix up the soil and plants. Then I decided to dig out a newly purchased cloche and extension. The pot is covered now by a nice heavy metal structure so if the lettuce was not killed off, there’s a chance!

That took longer than expected. Then I had to water houseplants, change water in the pots where I am trying to root more celery and added water to my hydroponic garden. Unfortunately, that old device has given up the ghost. The pump has apparently died so the water is not being oxygenated. Ooops. Will figure something else out before winter.

Started to bring in the plastic clips that I used to attach the tomato plants to the support frames. There was a lot of wind this year and many of the clips are damaged so I will be working through these slowly, trying to save as many as possible.

I have lots of books to read and the library has called multiple times so I checked online, I have 8 books on hold right now. Wow!

Apparently more than enough time outdoors. My sinuses are swollen up and I have just a lovely sinus headache and itchy eyes. I have blown my nose enough that my ears hurt too. I am a mess.

Anne, oh my, a can of Spam. Definitely something for an emergency (but not in this house🤗) and my yes, I bet it is very salty. How can you be certain a witch is a white witch other than the fact they tell you so? I do not think I would be comfortable with that.

Bob, wahoo! What a fantastic buy once again. I like the color. Sorry that Jean is not feeling well. Aha, I have heard of Wegmans. It does look like a wonderful place to shop.

Jackie, I adore the photo of Betty. Just barely awake and oh so comfortable. Happy lounging dog. I hope you get some heat hooked up. The seasons turn on a dime. The apples look yummy.

Hello to everyone I have missed.

All best wishes for today and tomorrow ❤️❤️

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Drat! And double drat! My washing machine has caused a drain problem. There is a smallish but still significant back up down in the storage area. Such a worry and bother. Clean up and then fussing around with drain clearing equipment. Aaaaaaaaargh!

John is storming around, he is gathering his equipment, drain snake, rags and towels for clean up. There is always the frustrating analysis of cause. Too much detergent? Errant sock or nylon sock that somehow got sucked into the drain and glogged everything? We are both hating this kind of repair. The day is rainy and very windy to make things extra interesting. In the big picture this isn’t such a life threatening event. Only a messy and frustrating event. There are certainly worse things in life.

Busy day today. Wish me luck on the big drain clear-out.
    Patsy☘️

• linder4866
    Options
    Good luck Patsy ❤️❤️🤞🏻❤️❤️

• linder4866
    Options
    This came up in my memories on Facebook.

~Smugglers Cottage in Polperro, Cornwall~
    Probably everyone who has been to Polperro has taken a photo of this picturesque Cottage🌞

zw0shmvblkat.jpeg

I love it. 💙💙

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) I am late today as I wanted to get my bills paid, pick up my groceries and write my talk for tomorrow's meeting. I decided to talk about feelings as I have been through some this week. Just got back from visiting with Joe and now it is time for dinner.

Lin, beautiful cottage, is it near Jackie? I hope you feel better tomorrow, sounds like you are in a lot of pain and misery.

Patsy, oh no more troubles and repair work for John. It is a good thing he is handy.

Anne, just the sound of spam turns my stomach, sorry, not a fan.

Bob, another big score and I agree with Lin, love the color. Your brother was braver than I am, but we will see.

Jackie, love the picture of Betty, she looks very happy.

I didn't see the notice but they came and scraped my balcony and prime it for painting tomorrow. It looks a 100 percent better. Now I just have to wait for the boards for the floor.

Have a great evening, (Jackie might be in bed already).
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hi dear friends, do not worry, anytime you call would be the perfect time! It was heavenly hearing from Jackie!
    While I'm still in "medical", I suspect I'll be kicked down to "Assisted Living" shortly since I'm healing more rapidly than expected. Has to do with that dratted rheumatoid arthritis. However, I keep reminding myself that something is bound to annoy me , having had the luck to reach 93 and still breathing! I am practicing my walking frequently so "Assisted" will admit me. No wheelchairs allowed.
    I still tire easily but "relaxing" watching TV doesn't work since despite his niece and sister's warnings, about all I can find on TV is Trump, Trump, and more Trump! Well, I've found a Nelson DeMille book I think I've missed (Deserter) so I will start reading. I love most of his writing but "Panther" seemed distinctly a masculine book to me. I stuck with it but only the last chapters interested me!
    Take care, y'all, and self-quarantine until this dratted coronavirus wears itself out.
    Picture of Betty from JACKIE is precious. BOB's markets are remarkably organized and inviting! I turned the page and cannot recall my comments to ANNE and PATSY, and to LIN, wish I could wax enthusiastic over china teapots! Not my cuppa! I can't stay awake any longer so kisses to you all! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    love, Buzz