No-Nonsense November 2020 Challenge

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
There's a statistic that goes around: something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. Or we used to be in the Before Times. :smirk: 2020 or no, we all have a lot on us! It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

During my first LCHF holiday, I checked the weight chart, and I had lost 13lb (almost 6kg) between Oct 31st and my birthday (New Year's Day.) It's possible to not only NOT gain but to LOSE weight during the holiday season.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk, goodies, and other nonsense rampant this type of year.

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

What I've done in the past is to pick 1 or 2 events that were most important. For me it was Christmas Eve and New Year's Day (my birthday). I enjoyed those celebrations. Once the day was over, the indulgence was OVER. I brought home no leftovers to continue the nonsense. I picked specific things I was going to have, not ALL THE FOODS. I told myself that at bedtime, the day was over and when I woke in the morning, it was back to the routine. The rest of the days during that period, I planned ahead to stay on-plan. For those other events I didn't select, I either ate before-hand, or brought on-plan dishes to them. The 1st year, I lost 13lb between Halloween and New Year's. The 2nd year, I was very close to goal and lost the 2lb needed to reach my goal weight.

This year, my goal is to continue working on the Quarantine 15. 2020 is bananas! :rage: And while you may not be going to get togethers, there will still be in-home nonsense to navigate. We can make it work. Together we'll figure this out.

But this challenge is also about monitoring our plan Basics. Focusing on nailing the Basics is what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and beginning weight (if you are just planning to maintain through the month, like me, that's cool, too) and check-in daily or weekly with how well you did. Alternately, if you are focusing on keeping to fitness goals instead, that's certainly welcome. After all, this is YOUR challenge.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Fight back against all the NONSENSE life throws at us this time of year. Especially this year!

Let's do this. :triumph:

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse if you haven't already, you might want to try Black Soybeans. Use them in about any recipe you'd use legumes. 1/2 cup has 11 grams of protein and 1 net carb with 8 total and 7 fiber. Eden brand (canned) is the only brand I'm familiar with in the USA.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    [Nonsense] There I added some nonsense.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse if you haven't already, you might want to try Black Soybeans. Use them in about any recipe you'd use legumes. 1/2 cup has 11 grams of protein and 1 net carb with 8 total and 7 fiber. Eden brand (canned) is the only brand I'm familiar with in the USA.

@kpk54 sadly it would appear that black soybeans aren't a thing in New Zealand :'( They'd have been perfect. I can probably do something with edamame though. I'd confined them to the back of the freezer because my go-to stirfry with those came out fairly hefty on carbs (40 net). But I can get creative.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    November goals for me:
    Food:
    100g net carbs per day - mine have been creeping up lately, so time to clamp a lid on that
    125g protein minimum per day
    No evening snacking

Exercise:
    Cardio of some form (bike/eliptical/walking/etc) at least 3 days per week
    Strength at least 2 times per week
    Minimum 7500 steps per day
    Active weekends

Weight:
    Lose at least 5 lbs for the month
  • baconslave
    Options
    [Nonsense] There I added some nonsense.

How dare you! :joy:
  • baconslave
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    In! :D

Okay, little preamble for those who don't know me from Gen Pop - I've been around MFP for nearly six years :o , lost my weight (I think originally 13kg?) that year, then did the winter gain, lose it again routine for the next couple of years (always within healthy weight range), was fit, slim, healthy (or so I thought), and then...early 2018 I had what is technically a relapse of ME/CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome). And let's just say going from highly active to not at all, plus comfort eating and just getting the easiest, least energy expenditure option for dinner a lot (this would be pizza), is not good for the waistline. So, 30kgs later...I've always been within the low carb 'range' when in weight loss mode, averaging around 100g, this time it just wasn't cutting it. The hunger was real, and frustrating in a wanting to cry and throw things way. I tried increasing fibre to no avail, so figured the next thing to try was cutting carbs further. And here I am...

So, November goals! The whole holiday season thing isn't really an issue for me (NZ, so Halloween and Thanksgiving aren't a thing), so it's just the basics, really:
    • Stay under 50g net carbs (arbitrary number I plucked out of thin air)
    • Stay under calories
    • Log every day (with my usual ridiculous precision)
    • Walk every day (this comes with the caveat that if I have a flare and genuinely need to rest, I do)
    • Weigh daily (skipping weighing and/or logging are the slippery slope for me, always)
    • Keep up with electrolytes
    • Continue to optimise nutrition (I'm on a kick to try to get at least 100% of my essential micronutrients from food)
    • Keep fats in check (they're crept up a bit because I've been munching on sunflower seeds to hit micros :D )
    • Try at least two new recipes (I am shocking for eating the same things on repeat, which doesn't actually bother me, but I think it's good to mix it up) - if you have any vegetarian, decent protein content (~30g) recipes around the 10g net carb area max, lemme know!
    • Oh, protein 100g minimum
    • Get my container garden set up and growing!

That seems like enough :D

Lots of goals but all good ones!
    So sorry to hear about the CF relapse. I suffer from intermittent Chronic Fatigue and have Sjogren's. After getting mono at 19, I'm always more tired than a human should be. Losing weight helped. But it's still awful to never have any gas in the tank. Even my bigger flares are only moderate. I can't imagine how debilitating a severe flare would be. I've only had a few short experiences there. Trying to live life through molasses is how I describe my experience. If that makes any sense. Everything becomes exhausting.

Anyway, I am a creature of habit myself and am also mainly content eating the same things all the time.

Glad to have you!
  • baconslave
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Best wishes for power and inspiration to us all!!
    ix1prua1c6t3.png

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

And also, The Quarantine 15, we hates it! :rage:
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So any of you interested in Black Soybeans it’s called Kuromame in Japanese and you can probably find the dry version at any Asian supermarkets. It’s nothing special.

And as for November, it’s my birthday month so I’m going to enjoy on those special days including my fiancé’s birthday, his sisters, mine and thanksgiving!

But I will stick to healthy eating and exercise.
    Going for a perfect active days for November 💪🏼2tsvuz6er5tg.png
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for continuing to do these challenges @baconslave!

Main goals for November will be to eat on plan and to continue training for my half marathon on Thanksgiving. Toning up/clothes fitting better will be a bonus!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    November goals
    Log food every day, keeping total carbs under 60
    Strength training twice a week
    40,000 steps per week
    Lose 3 lbs.
    SW today 175.5
    GW 11/30 172.5

Not a goal but aiming to improve lunch planning/food prep 😁
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    My November Goals:
    Food:
    Stay under my calorie goal every day (of course, track every.single.thing)
    <60g net carbs per day
    No evening snacking

Exercise:
    Weight lifting at least 2 days per week
    Core exercises at least 2 days per week
    Minimum 10k steps per day

Weight Goal: 8 lbs in Nov.
    Weight at 175 on Christmas Day 2020
    SW today 190.9
    GW (11/30) 182.9
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Happy November 1st everyone!
    1. Food as per logged.
    2. 5 mile training run plus another 6 miles walked sightseeing with our visitors.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Okay, two days in for me. What did I say I was going to do again? :D

Check mark on most everything. Today was mucky, which is reflected in my diary - fat is a little higher than I'd like, and didn't hit all my essential micros (tracked elsewhere). Not in the mood to stand in the kitchen munching on mushrooms and spinach to get there either (technically I'm fine, thanks to supplements, but I'm trying to get all of them from actual food, it's harder than you think!).

Missed my walk today due to the aforementioned mucky/messy day, but I lugged midden samples back and forth between my lab and storage container, plus general busyness, so I'm giving myself a pass on that one.

Got a jump on new recipes and made cheesy stuffed red peppers on the 31st (photo in the foodie thread).

And emptied some fish bins (plastic storage tubs) while I was shuttling midden as step one of creating container garden.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Okay, two days in for me. What did I say I was going to do again? :D

Check mark on most everything. Today was mucky, which is reflected in my diary - fat is a little higher than I'd like, and didn't hit all my essential micros (tracked elsewhere). Not in the mood to stand in the kitchen munching on mushrooms and spinach to get there either (technically I'm fine, thanks to supplements, but I'm trying to get all of them from actual food, it's harder than you think!).

Missed my walk today due to the aforementioned mucky/messy day, but I lugged midden samples back and forth between my lab and storage container, plus general busyness, so I'm giving myself a pass on that one.

Got a jump on new recipes and made cheesy stuffed red peppers on the 31st (photo in the foodie thread).

And emptied some fish bins (plastic storage tubs) while I was shuttling midden as step one of creating container garden.

Yeah. We get mucky mess days for sure. Tomorrow is our Election Day. I have no idea how long I'll be standing in line for that business. I'll just have to assume the afternoon will be a wash, and I'll have to either try to squeeze my workout in after supper, when I'll be pretty tired, or just do without. Life happens.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,640 Member
    Options
    My November Goals are ....Pre-log my food daily , Meal Prep 1x a week, Exercise 6x a week , drink 120 oz. of water daily.... and no eating after 8pm ...I would like to lose 10 lbs this month but I will be happy with any losses this month :)