The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Jenny - I run it on my own in my own area. My Garmin tracks my run. My Garmin is connected to phone and my runs are uploaded on the app there. I would then send them in the screen shot off of my app that shows I did it.

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting in to the Boston Marathon. Nice!

I'm glad a new situation is happening for your brother. Hopefully it is less stressful for your sister and you (after moving - which is always stressful). Miles may not be ready - but I bet mom is! Maybe an Easter baby. :>)

At first Zach thought he had class all week, but he just texted that he is off Friday - so he will be coming home tomorrow. Yay! Caleb is off auditioning for New World Singers for next year. OMG - I am quietly gleeking out. I have been in this town for over 25 years and have always, always been in awe of how amazing that group is year after year and year. I also always hoped that the boys would put themselves out there and audition. Zach was never interested and Caleb seemed uninterested too. New Worlds is the schools super-select jazz ensemble and they are generally extremely well regarded and spend their year competing (and winning) and performing for many organizations. EEk! Caleb has plenty of talent, I do actually believe he has a good shot of making it, but most likely guidance won't put it in his schedule (it's a regular class period) and will probably die a quick death of bowing to the classes he still has to have next year. But still. The momma music heart is pounding.

Feels like Friday - but only Wednesday.

TMI - but I have been getting more and more bloated since the onset of the more major menopause symptoms. Hello, something else unpleasant to deal with. My eating hasn't really changed but the weight is just skyrocketing. Boooooo!!!

Later dears
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,226 Member
    Options
    Marla, have you considered making an appt with your doctor to discuss your symptoms and make sure there isn't anything else to rule out? Do you take a daily probiotic? That can help with regular digestion and bloating too. It seems like your symptoms are worsening and I wonder if it is all menopausal symptoms. Wonderful news about Z coming home for the weekend or is it a spring break too? WTG C for deciding to audition for the singing group. I know that singing and music are dear to your heart and it seems your boys have that interest too. I hope he gets to join the group.

Ang, now I understand how you do it. Your App data shows how you did. It's nice the marathon can include people that want to give it a try this way. Fun for you and an accomplishment to look forward to.

I'm still painting the vanity. Two more doors to go. Tomorrow Russ and I have an appt to get approved for TSA precheck when flying. Russ gets his second vaccine in the morning so I hope he doesn't feel sick at the afternoon appointment. Friday I get my snow tires off my car and regular tires put back on. Then we move furniture in to my brother's new place. I'm hoping the drama diminishes after he moves in but I have a feeling he is suddenly going to remember his stuff from his house and want us to bring him things thay he no longer has. We either donated or tossed a lot of stuff. I have some of his stuff in the pole barn. There is no way we are giving him all of it and have to do a "clean out" of his apartment at the end just like his house. I just can't take it if he messes this place and we have to pick up the pieces at the end. I'm so tired. It will be hard enough watching his body deteriorate and see him die. The rest of it just adds too much right now.

Well we have had snow flurries and cold temps so spring has not totally arrived here. It is suppose to be nice this weekend so I hope to ride my bike. I'm doing a short hike with a girl friend on Saturday afternoon to a bluff over looking Lake Michigan. I've never been on this trail so we will see how my knees do. I'll use my hiking poles for support.

Miles has not joined us yet. Karah will be induced sometime in the night so I expect I'll have news by Friday or earlier.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Miles is on his way! He should arrive soon. Karah is dilated to 10 cm's and beginning to push!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Good luck Karah -
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    'only' worked four hours today. Nice change of pace. Picked up pizza and ate and chatted with the boys. Zach is hanging on the couch relaxing, reading. Caleb is off at work. I finally finished the taxes. My new sheets came. They have been washed and I will put them on shortly. We'll see if the survive my picky 'how do they feel' and if they survive the hot flashing.

I ordered a pretty pink pearl necklace for my niece and her college graduation next month. Sniff. Sweet girl. I sure hope she doesn't forever give up on her dreams for more. I think she is going to go to work as a Scheduler at our Omaha plant until she decides what to do. I just worry it can be too easy to just fall into the routine of letting it be good enough. She'll get engaged to her boyfriend and then the bills need paid, kids come and then your dreams have to wait for twenty years.

Friyay
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Miles was born 4/1 at 9:48pm. He weighs 7lbs11oz and is 21" long. I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't work here for some reason. We video chatted with them last night and he is mellow and alert. Adorable! I can't wait to see him in May.

I have one more coat of paint to put on the front of two vanity cabinet doors and the vanity in the master will be done. It is a huge improvement with the rich midnight blue in the white and gray bathroom. I love it!

We moved my brother into his assisted living apartment yesterday. Russ and I were exhausted and tired afterwards. We went to Culver's for fish sandwiches and chocolate custard milkshakes. Comfort eating after a long day. My sisters were bickering the entire time and obviously had been arguing with each other and my brother prior to arrival. I tried to point out that they weren't being kind to one another and they needed to take a break from one another for awhile. They proceeded to blame the other and missed the point completely. I don't know how the relationship between those three siblings got to where it is over the years but if I'd known how bad it is, I'm not sure I would have chosen Michigan over Duluth, MN as a retirement home. I love our home and being back in this area near friends, Lake Michigan, etc. but I am going to hibernate from them for awhile too. Going forward I will not allow either to pull me in to their negativity with one another.

Today I am going on a short hike with a girl friend to the Clay Cliffs overlooking Lake Michigan. I've never been on this trail and have been curious. It isn't long, maybe a mile or a little more round trip. We are going to have a cup of tea afterward and chat. It's a beautiful sunny day with a high of 52.

Well Happy Easter to you both. We are staying away from family and having a grilled chicken and veggie dinner tomorrow with just us.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Welcome Miles!

Congrats Gigi.

Have a good quiet day.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Thanks Marla.
    I finished my master bath vanity. I did the last paint touch up when I installed the last two doors. I'm thinking I may want to put a clear coat on it even though the paint isn't suppose to need a finish coat. Peace of mind that if bumped it won't nick paint. I need to think about it. I would just brush over everything as it is altogether. Next I need to finish Jeff's photo album and color copy pages that can be used in Rory's photo album that is partially finished. Then on to the next piece of furniture and getting the bunk room set up for guests. Now that friends are getting vaccines, they talk about coming to visit at some point. Our summer and Fall are busy so I don't know if this is the year for out of town visitors other than the kids.

Russ made a nice breakfast this morning. I didn't expect him to. I could hear him in the kitchen banging around and I thought he may be prepping for tonight's dinner. Then he called me to breakfast. We will be full until dinner time.

We joined a spring CSA and have our first box of veggies. It also comes with a loaf of home made sourdough bread and farm fresh eggs. We received shredded Kolrabi with a slaw recipe included. We had that last night with a chicken pot pie we bought at the Grand Traverse Pie Company. We also received carrots, potatoes, a few types of greens for salad. Nice to have organic and fresh this time of year. My niece miscarried last tuesday so we bought them a pie for a dinner and one for ourselves. They are the best chicken pot pie we've had. Abby was exactly 3 months when she miscarried. She had been feeling bad and had known the placenta was torn away from the uterine wall a couple of milleliters. I guess this was normal but I'm guessing the baby may not have been developmentally ok. My sister thinks the baby may have been dead for a bit before the miscarriage. Abby had a DNC and says she feels so much better. So sad but not meant to be.

Well I hope you both have a relaxing Easter with family. We are not gathering. Everyone needs a break. My sister is going to her daughter and son in law's house to spend Easter with them and her grand daughter. That will be nice for her.

Happy Easter!
    Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I bought some clear coat today to put on my vanities to protect them from chipping. I haven't begun to do that yet. It has been so nice and warm with the sun that I sat on the deck in the afternoon after I got back from visiting my brother and going to Menards for the clear coat, brush, roller, etc.

My brother seems to be settling in to his new place. He eats at a table in the diningroom with two other men. It looks like all the ladies eat together at one big table. He said he sat outside yesterday on the patio. I'm glad he is leaving his room and being a little social.

Tomorrow I get my hair cut and a partial foil to continue to help the gray to blend as it comes in. It will be nice to have a fresh cut and color prior to going to Georgia and meeting Karah's parents in person.

The kids are adjusting to being parents. It's so fun to see how my sons are in awe of their babies and being parents.

I hope all is well with both of you.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    awww - the new daddies

glad to hear your brother is settling in - that has to be a relief

so sorry to hear about your niece - that's a tough thing to go through

I did a CSA a few years ago - it was interesting - I always enjoyed the non veg things more than the veg!

I ran Caleb to a haircut this afternoon and as he got back in the car he goes, "how do I get a tux?" - ummmm - for the prom that is next Saturday? Oy. So we scooted down the block and ran into the shop (yes - there is ONE option here and there are nine schools in the area having prom). I was more than half afraid it would be too late. Nope. We even managed to walk in at a time when they were between customers. Less than twenty minutes later he was measured and we were off. Off to the flower shop. Yep. That kid. And no issues there either. I have never waited less and had a nicer experience than I did today doing way last second. Caleb just shrugs and goes, "That's just how it usually works for me." I offered to cook a meal for his group, but apparently one of the girls had made a reservation at the nice restaurant.

Had my first vaccine today. So far, so good. I was more than a little scared, just don't want to feel bad after finally starting to feel more like myself recently. Well, except for the menopause and now this insane bloating. I ordered some of the provitalize you mentioned.

It was so warm this weekend. Too warm for me. Glad it backed off a bit today. Not ready for mid-80's.

Hump day!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Wow lots happening at your house Marla! Does C have a date for the prom or going with a group? I'm assuming since you ordered flowers he has a girl he is taking? Do you know her? He must be a low key guy.

Which vaccine did you get, Phizer or Moderna? I get my second one a week from tomorrow.

Russ put down some grass seed in the front yard and now it is raining so that is good. Hope some of it takes and fills in our dirt and weed yard. He is going to do more and add clover at some point. He also started trimming some of the overgrown bushes down to the ground to see if new growth will happen or if the bushes are beyond their life time. So much neglect for so long.

I had my hair cut and got a partial foil today. It looks so much better. I need a pedicure badly so I will call and schedule that for the end of April before Georgia. I will be wearing capris and sandals in Georgia.

I went to the local grocery for some baking supplies. I use my cell phone notes for my grocery lists. When I got home I couldn't find my phone. I left it on the seat of the cart. Luckily an older couple found it and turned it in to the store clerk. I have been so scattered today but I don't know why.

It's been in the 60's and 70's with humidity this week. I have a feeling this means a hot summer. We don't usually get these kind of temps so early.

Well TGIF and then the weekend!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Caleb has a girl he is taking. I guess it's his girlfriend? Someone from robotics club. They haven't spent a ton of time 'out' together. You know - pandemic. But they must have made a connection Low-key is pretty accurate. He keeps things very close to the vest.

I got Moderna. Felt ok Wednesday, just sore arm. Thursday started ok with just sore arm, but as the day wore on my joints were more and more and more painful. Like almost painful to the touch. Then the headache. By about 5 pm I was in bed in the migraine position. Felt a bit better by like 8 pm. Slept so-so, as good as I ever do these days. This morning my main complaint was a terrible pain in the back of my neck. Doesn't give me a lot of hope for dose 2. I just sure hope it's worth it. I took Caleb today for his dose 1 - he had to get Pfizer since he is 16. Hopefully he is good.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I have my next hair appointment next week. I don't know what I will do if Tammy (hair) thinks we still need to wait longer before doing the highlights again. We haven't done any since before 2021 due to how fragile my hair got, because I guess the highlights are more damaging than just the overall color. So we have only done the overall color and it is getting so so so dark without the highlights to brighten it. I hate how dark it is. The first time it was fine because the highlights still kind of glowed through, last time they were gone and it was gross looking to me. If she doesn't think my hair is ready, I'm going to ask about a different color. My hair really pulls an orange-red tint when she uses lighter, but I may consider that. We'll see. I think the hair is recovering, but it's still thin for sure.

Have a good weekend!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Rory is like C. He keeps his stuff private. If I ask the right question I may learn something new about him.

I love my short hair. It's a chin length Bob, no bangs, and stacked in the back a little bit. So easy! Does your hair lighten in the summer? It only takes a little time in the sun for mine to lighten. Hopefully the highlights don't get too bright and brassy. Next Fall I may do gray highlights. Maybe a new color but subtle change?

When is prom? Tonight? Storms coming to this side of the country tonight. I hope not for NE.

We are having dinner through a messenger video call tonight with friends that moved to New Mexico.

Photo album on agenda today.

I thought I read somewhere that people who have had COVID have stronger reactions to the vaccines.

Have a great Saturday.
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Since my weight jumped like three to four pounds over about a two week period (I'm sure it must have been brewing, just showed up in that time), I have really buckled down this week hoping it would fall off. It hasn't, but I am showing a small decrease. Sigh. I am really struggling to get my head right to stay the course day after day. I can tell I will have to be really really strict to hit the right deficit. This is going to be a struggle - even more so than normal. Expect more complaining than normal.

My hair doesn't lighten noticeable in the sun. Of course I don't spend a ton of time out either.

Prom is next Saturday. I was pretty stunned by how much the tuxes were. $120!! Oy. Of course I haven't been in a tux shop since I got married 26 years ago.

Zach texted earlier this week he decided (or missed the sign up at school) to wait and get his shots after semester back here in Columbus. My text reply was fine, maybe we'll have the johnson and johnson in town by that time. After watching the news last night, the old friend anxiety is back. J&j seem to be hitting the news for a bunch of people passing out and trashing a bunch of doses due to contamination. Uh. Hello fear, my old friend. And it's a wonder why people have vaccine hesitancy. If they really want people to get vaccinated, maybe not make those stories top news. My niece got j&j on Wednesday the same day I did, she was feeling rough too. Hoping Caleb still says feeling good today. He has a long work shift tonight. It could be sketchy if he starts feeling gross like I did.

Hello Saturday - my favorite friend.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Went to church for the first since I think it was July before the folks car accident. Wow. I was anxious because it has been so long and it was feeling weird, but glad to go. I'm glad it wasn't Easter busy like last week would have been. Just back to the people I would normally see, but they are still doing every other pew. Not sure what they did last week. Caleb and a few of his music sang. It was nice.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I have finished the pages for Jeff's photo album! Finally and 13 years late. I need to find a color xerox machine at a copy shop and copy several pages that can be used for Rory's book when I sit down to finish that one. It's cheating but why re-invent the pages? Works for me and my time.

I'm struggling with weight too. I wish the weather would be consistently nice and I could get into a routine of riding my bike. We've had a few days of rain with some sun interspersed. With my luck I would be on the trail and it would begin to pour.

I'm planning to visit my brother tomorrow morning and then find that xerox machine. I need to vacuum or have Russ do it because the dog hair is plentiful. My sisters are coming for dinner tomorrow night. We have a large pot roast and potato pie from the Southern Pie Company in our freezer. We need company to help us eat it.

I'm glad you felt ok going to church and C was able to sing. A sense of normalcy for you all.

Happy Monday!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    They set up a large construction zone very close to where I work. Taking the highway down to one lane on each side - it's hard enough to pull out when the traffic running both lanes - but possible because they are spread out enough to make it - and the last two days I have waited over five minutes for a safe break. And I wasn't even leaving during normal shift changes. Holy cr@p. It's going to be a long annoying summer.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Road construction season. It's too bad they couldn't do more road work this past year with COVID and less traffic on the road. Our roads are not all in good shape and tourist season will be upon us soon.

Our dinner with my sisters went well. We had the meat potato pie and salad. I dropped off my scrapbook pages at the copy store and they copied them all for me. I picked them up on Tuesday and visited my brother while I was in town. I also bought some gifts for Jeff, Karah and her parents when we go to Georgia. Since this area is known for cherries, I went to my neighbor's cherry products store and bought a few edible products. I bought myself some of their pie filling so I can practice making a crust and make a cherry pie.

My Subaru had a recall so we dropped it off at the dealer last night. They worked on it today and also did all the other updates it needed that hadn't been done. Hefty bill but all is up to date now and in time for our drive to Georgia. Expensive month!

Absolutely nothing on the calendar for tomorrow. I'm hoping for a dry day so I can trim some bushes while Russ works in the basement on the ceiling and lighting. He has a third of it done and it will be much nicer. Not perfect because the previous owner did not do a good job on the drop ceiling framework but we will not spend time nor money to redo that. The room will only be used a few times per year.

Hope you are having a good week despite the traffic.

Jenny