Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,948 Member
    @CMorning99 I can imagine that they would have to follow all sorts of rules and regulations. That is the type of job in which I thrive. I love knowing exactly what has to be done and how they want it done - unless how they want it done is stupid. Then it drives me nuts. LOL Good luck with the running and wildlife. Just beware of your surroundings. And, if you aren't used to be around ticks, do a body check after your out in the wilderness. If they do get on you and you get them off in a timely fashion, you aren't likely to get sick from them. A doctor told us once, if they are attached, to flip them over on their back and then pull parallel to the skin. They will come right out. It works because their proboscis is curved. Turning them on their back straightens it out. Go figure.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    Hi @bearly63! sounds like you are doing well! One of my goals for May is to get back into my strength workouts while incorporating all the PT exercises I need to fit in. How many days are you doing strength training now? I too find I need more rest and I don't even think about my glass of wine when I have it from a macro/carb/calorie perspective anymore. I do still log it but I am going to just enjoy when I do have it.
    @swenson19d - glad you did well on your final exam and well enough on the MCP. You know when all is said and done, really all you need is to pass. No one is going to be judging you later based on your MCP score. Hope the pharmacology exam goes well!
    Also Cori sounds like such a character. Does he eat the tortillas or just play with them.
    @quilteryoyo - that is so neat that you and your mom helped her neighbor celebrate her 90th birthday! Glad you enjoyed your piece of cake. It sounds delicious!
    @CMorning99 - I hope you get settled into your new position quickly! I am sure the group will loosen up and be friendlier once they get to know you better. Right now maybe they are a bit suspicious/worried that you are going to make their life even harder. Having more regular/shorter work hours will be great for getting a few runs or workouts in before or after work.
    I did read recently that you can use a lint roller to remove ticks from shorthaired pups. I wonder if you could do that on yourself too. Just roll it on your legs to get any loose ones off - yikes I have never had to deal with ticks. Maybe better to follow @quilteryoyo's suggestions.
    Hope your tooth is ok and that you can get it checked out soon.

Well I had a big setback (3 steps back this time?) My run on Monday was pretty terrible and my hamstring was back to as bas as before. I don't know if I overdid it on Friday (such a good run) and then pushed it too much trying to run again on Saturday or maybe it was all the packing I had been doing with all the bending involved 🤷🏻‍♀️ I thought it felt pretty great on Monday when I headed out but it was bad. I iced it as soon as I got home and it felt better for agility class. Then on my first run in class I tripped/slid/something but didn't fall and I knew immediately that I had hurt my hamstring again. It was bad enough that I iced again when I got home and took some Tylenol and still had to finish up the final bit of packing/cleaning and couldn't do my PT stretches at all. I was still hurting this morning but we got everything together and out of the house. Sat in the car and watched them put all the tarps on the house. What a crazy process. I did a bit of walking but mostly just rested once we got into the hotel. There is a hiking trail really close to the hotel that I had planned to run but I think Hobbes and I will just walk/hike it tomorrow. I don't want to over do it but I do need to get him out for a bit.
    Food has been terrible... we had Starbucks for breakfast, Chipotle tacos for lunch and a salad with grilled chicken for dinner. Dh got a piece of ice cream pie and I had a little bit of it too (sooo good). While we were driving around waiting for our room to be ready we went to one of our favorite strawberry stands and got our first box of fresh picked berries. I ate a bunch in the car then more in the room and even put some on the ice cream 😊 Tomorrow will be a better day! There will definitely be more strawberries on the menu!

We watched my Octopus Teacher tonight on Netflix - so good! It made me think of @HonuNui. I know octopi are smart but it is really an amazing documentary.
  • quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 @shanaber has a good suggestion about the lint roller. I will use it on my clothes sometimes, just in case there are some I don't see. I've dealt with ticks all of my life, so it's hard to think about areas in the US that don't have them.

@shanaber So so sorry you hurt your hamstring again. I hope giving it rest, ice, and your PT exercises will get to feeling good again soon. I've heard a couple of people talking about My Octopus Teacher lately. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2021
    @shanaber Kinda cool about the house. Seems like something out of a movie. I had no idea that was a thing for real. I eat worse than you do and everyday I plan that it'll change. I ate a whole pack of cookies last night, again. Sorry about the hamstring. Can you bike? or something else to let it heal and stay active? I feel for you. Horrible to be about to put something in the past and it continues.

Today is Alex's birthday. I'm very sad. DD is with a friend and cousin who rented a cabin for her birthday. DH gave her shopping money, she's lost a good bit again. I think she was prob 250+ when she started loosing weight and is prob 170 now. She is 5'7' I think. IDk what her goal weight is, but she has lost enough that I see why people say "you need to stop, or you look sick" or something of the sort. It's just how I am use to seeing her and I think there is an instinctual notice of a change that signals concern. I want her to get to 150 or wherever is right for her. It's just new. gah, then she'll be beautiful and thin... I'll have to worry even more about her safety in a world of wierd-o's. DH says I worry too much. uh huh... right buddy. You go be a girl in this world.

I planned on watching My Octopus Teacher after Lie to Me. I love documentaries.

My hip consult got moved up. I see him in a week. I still don't know what I wanna do. 1) I wanna talk to my #1 hip doc about "am I ever gonna get better". but maybe this guy will impress me. I expect a new MRI... so least not likely any surgical planning until that's done, so I don't have to make a decision yet.

@quilteryoyo Nice your mother and you got to spend a nice day out. Sounds ideal. If i had real life friends, that's how I'd live.

DH hates his work iphone... I like my new apple phone. So he bought a 1200$ iphone. ?????????

I bought a bird feeder for the back porch. I think one male cardinal is flirting with visiting it. I can hear him chirp when he visits. It is filled with sunflower seeds and meal worms. No idea if that is what he wants. It landed on the front walk yesterday 3 feet from Beanie. Cori quickly scooted outdoors and under the hedge for the opportunity to pounce. Bear stood in the doorway looking out anxiously, he's was on back-up duty I guess. The bird flew off safely when Cori moved.

Cori does eat the tortillas. I don't think there is much he won't eat. His pallet is not picky and loves squirt cheese, milk, and lunch meat. Bear? nah... you can give him an egg yolk or half cook a cube steak for him though. Bean- that girl, is on a diet. Loves chips, donuts, bread, butter, rolls, potatoes... umm hmm She's a carbaholic.

Cori and another turtle.
    ml5hxtfgnuni.jpeg "how am I gunna get this un?" I think he found the mama turtle.

My clinical group and I + instructor, -one who was having a bad day.
    0zl5sv16eahn.png

• quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d Hugs to you today. It's okay, and expected, for you to be sad. Glad DD made plans with friends and is going to do some shopping. Glad you are seeing your hip doctor sooner rather than later. Hope you can get some help! Mom's cat attempts to catch birds at her bird feeder too. She told him he wasn't allowed to get the red birds. LOL He has only managed to catch one smaller bird. So, I think they are relatively safe. Love the pictures.

I did a test run of tennis today...just hit around some with a friend to see if it hurt where I had surgery. I'm glad to report that it didn't hurt at all, so I think I'm ready to add that back into my activities.
  • shanaber
    edited May 2021
    @swenson19d - dh took some pictures of the house today when he went by to take out Hilde’s trash. She is apparently keeping watch on the house just in case of... idk something. I will post a picture when I can get one from him.
    I hope you and dd can use the birthday money as an excuse to get away together for a day of shopping and whatever. I completely understand your concerns for her both with weight and with the weirdos out there. Just don’t want anything bad to happen that could hurt them in any way.
    Love the pictures - any concern that Cori could get bit by the turtle. I have been a couple of times and it can cut you good and it hurts!
    I see you hiding in the back of that group shot! You look great!
    It is ok to be sad today and think about and miss Alex even more than usual.
    @quilteryoyo - that is awesome that you had no pain or stiffness when playing tennis! Seems like you are completely back now! YAY!!

Well I ended up on a trail today exploring just to see where it went and got so far up we had no choice but to keep going. We ended up on part of the trail I was planning to go on originally but decided not to because well ticks and Hobbes just had a bath on Thursday. It was a fun walk/hike/run and seemed a lot longer than STRAVA said it was. I also fell and slid down a ways on my butt. Not hurt at all but startled Hobbes who jumped all over me. We did see a lot of deer droppings and Hobbes was sure something was following us. My hamstring was sore when we started out but did ok on the hiking up and even running down. I suspect my quads will be sore tomorrow.
    Food has been pretty good- more like my normal day although we may get Mexican for dinner tonight if they aren’t too busy. Cinco de Mayo is a big deal here.
    Taking a break under a tree for some pictures-had to bribe home with a treat to get home to look at me 😁
    t6oqvfxn0y8h.jpeg
    Hazy day looking out over the valley
    aldnarqsxm3l.jpeg
    Hobbes looking down the hill towards our hotel - the red roofed buildings below
    ps21uw5iybwa.jpeg
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning everybody!

I got super busy with the move but I think I’m kind of back on track again. I even went for my first 2 mile walk jog yesterday in two weeks. My knees were a little sore as the connective tissue complain, but by the time I Warmed up around mile to, I was fine. My heart rate was high, but I’m just out of shape 😂

Food has been pretty good, not a whole lot of food options on base since we are so remote, again LOL. We have a choice between subway and Burger King. I’ve been eating simple breakfast foods in the hotel, and my freshly at night for dinner. I only have one left so I don’t know what I’m going to do. For lunch up and eating at the chow hall, it only cost me between 3 to 5 dollars and the food is passable. I’ve been logging calories though and staying under, perhaps little to wonder cause I am really hungry, but it won’t hurt me after my two week food fest.

I had previously informed my unit that I would be out today, and then they canceled the preliminary hearing and I just decided to take the day anyway. I am so far behind on mom‘s paperwork. Today I’m gonna give myself the task of at least updating the address to the PO Box I got for her on her accounts. I kind of wanna go to the ranch, I have no idea what I would do up there. I just wander around lost. I need to get a dumpster up there so I can just start throwing junk away.

Black cat was sick last night. DH found him hiding under the kitchen sink. He gave him some Prilosec and pain meds and poor kitty violently vomited them up 10 minutes later. DH swears that he saw carrots in the vomit, but he said he didn’t feed the food that has veggies in it since Monday. I am wondering if his IBS is causing some sort of partial blockage in his intestines. The vet did notice last time that some values associated with bile or elevated but return to normal after fluids. Maybe he needs a higher dose of prednisone. I don’t play with my little princes health, he’s going straight to the vet today. Of course this morning I woke up to a video from DH of black cat thoroughly enjoying his breakfast. I also wonder, I gave him a bath a week ago and he had a few hairballs, if that irritated his stomach. Either way I want some fluids in him if he didn’t feel like drinking much yesterday and discuss to the vet what we can do to figure out if he’s got some narrowing.

Well, I’m awake I might as well get to doing something. My hotel room looks like a teenagers room and I am starving. I bought instant coffee yesterday since there’s no coffee nearby, I learned the hard way that the serving size 1 round a teaspoon is not a suggestion, it’s a cold hard fact. LOL

Have a great day everybody!

• swenson19d
    edited May 2021
    @CMorning99 My goodness that's a cutie kitty. I hope he gets to feeling better. Do you brush him often? I brush mine but hairballs still happen. I think Bear has a permanent hairball cough, I don't think hes ever yacked one up tho. My vet is pretty good at discerning what is up with them. I was impressed. Good luck at the vet today. I hope it is productive.

Grades
    Pharmacology final grade 89.58608% LOL! that's a B! No official on the child/adult class. by my calculation its an 86.77%. Violin and research (97%) are A's.
    Now I get to clean...drink tea, shop, draw, play/learn violin & cello, manage the flowerbeds, cater to bear bears, and I am thinking about making an area of peace outside.

I thought I was menopausal...
    well, I am. But seems I can not make it longer than 8 months without a period. Seems fitting to have one on Alex's birthday anyway. Least I know why I ate everything for days and couldn't stop eating.

Amazon
    I put 1200$ of stuff in the Amazon cart. hahaha. waiting to see how long it takes DH to see it. Bet it gets to 5k before he notices. I love new hobbies. ETA he noticed. I got a financial lecture. LOL! I didn't buy anything goofball. He ordered some blinds i put in there... >:)
  • swenson19d
    Ya'll. I had a lumbar MRI 3-5 months ago and a thoracic MRI in 2012. The one in '12 noted I had an intraosseous lipoma some where about T10-12. The lumbar MRI radiologist identified it as a vertebral hemangioma. So, looking up symptoms - it kinda fits with what I thought could be MS. I think I / doc found the likely culprit. If so a hip replacement and a spine surgery might set me right-er. I admit I'm kinda stoked about being somewhat fixable. I requested my appointment be moved up with the neuro. I'd sure like to get this done/addressed before next semester with 3 clinical days per week. I am going to request accommodations. DH an I briefly talked about the financial pros/cons, and the mental and emotional pros/cons. He doesn't care if we take a pay decrease, having a purposeful life is more important than existing to pet Beary. Although, I love taking care of him. His such a needy baby.
  • quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d Glad it might be something that is fixable. Is there a reason they didn't do anything about it in 2012?
  • swenson19d
    2012 I saw a bunch of quack doctors. And honestly a lipoma isn’t a big deal. So… idk. I’m jus hoping for some hope!
  • shanaber
    Ohhh - that is great news @swenson19d! Seems weird to be happy they found something, but hopefully it is the cause of your issues and is fixable.

💕💕💕Happy Mother's Day💕💕💕 to any of moms and surrogate moms celebrating today!

I am relaxing and making sourdough bread for Hilde. Dh is cooking dinner and Dd is sending breakfast as I understand it. Its a rest day but I will need to get out for a walk with all that food planned...
  • quilteryoyo
    I have the stomach bug. Threw up from 4:30 am to 9. Tummy's still not good and I'm weak. Have eaten a piece of toast and banana with cinnamon. Can suck on ice chips okay. May eat a baked potato later. I'm giving up my exercise streak. Just can't see me walking a fast mile when making it to the kitchen feels hard. 118 days is pretty good.
  • quilteryoyo
    Make that 117 days. I was counting today.
  • swenson19d
    @quilteryoyo oh horrible. I hope it passes quickly. It’s been going around here too.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
  • quilteryoyo
    Thanks everyone. Wound up NOT eating the baked potato. The thoughts of it was too much.
    I'm feeling some better this morning. I'm not 100%, for sure. I plan to take it easy today - may go for a walk. I hope I'll be closer to normal tomorrow.

I did take my BP this morning. I wasn't able to take any of my pills yesterday. My BP was lower than it has been in a while. I think that means I'm probably a bit dehydrated. I'll try to consume as much water as my tummy will allow.
  • shanaber
    Glad you are feeling a bit better @quilteryoyo! Keep taking good care of yourself!
  • quilteryoyo
    Thanks @shanaber . I did manage a mile walk on the driveway today - at 3.3 mph. That was all I had in me though. I've been doing a bit, sitting a bit, napping a bit today. Still much better than yesterday. Hopefully, tomorrow will be even better.
  • swenson19d
    Waiting on new hip doc.

X-ray of my uneven hips @Avidkeo
    c27m4tt8ik1i.jpeg
    I think I have a leg length difference. Ima ask him.