Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken thighs (boneless/skinless) in a marinade (sugar-free "maple" syrup, course ground dijon mustard, soy sauce, loads of minced garlic, some red pepper flakes and a heap of green beans with jist a touch of real butter and salt.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Yummy….tonight we are having baked sweet potatoes, fresh green beans and corn on the cob….fresh Florida sliced tomatoes and turkey kielbasa!….someone ate the other half of my lemon poppyseed muffin so I guess I will eat a Fiber One cookie….

Why THANK YOU Connie! I think you just made me decide on fingerling potatoes and steak... possibly with green beans or maybe broccolini....
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yummy….tonight we are having baked sweet potatoes, fresh green beans and corn on the cob….fresh Florida sliced tomatoes and turkey kielbasa!….someone ate the other half of my lemon poppyseed muffin so I guess I will eat a Fiber One cookie….

Why THANK YOU Connie! I think you just made me decide on fingerling potatoes and steak... possibly with green beans or maybe broccolini....

Your welcome!….ours was really good and I am full!….

When I get this tuna casserole recipe figured out, I will let you know!….I remembered to get frozen green peas today!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Cr*p tea tonight .... footy night with son, didn’t want a takeaway again... not much time , so made sarnies..... had sarnie for lunch too 🥴..... Ne’er mind, marinating lamb mince overnight for koftas tomorrow!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    The last scheduled baked pasta was tonight. Not going to be having that again for a while. I am looking forward to next week's lighter menu.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »
    Cr*p tea tonight .... footy night with son, didn’t want a takeaway again... not much time , so made sarnies..... had sarnie for lunch too 🥴..... Ne’er mind, marinating lamb mince overnight for koftas tomorrow!

I will admit it: I had to look up "sarnies" :smiley: They're still "sammies" over here!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,627 Member
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »

I will admit it: I had to look up "sarnies" :smiley: They're still "sammies" over here!

At first I thought it was a typo - was going to check, but you saved me the trouble!
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2021
    Options
    At first I thought it was a typo - was going to check, but you saved me the trouble!
    Could be 'cause she's an ankle biter! :wink:

5.5oz strip loin, 400g fingerling potatoes, 500g asparagus (last two boiled and then finished in the oven)

Food good; but feeling crappy due to insufficient sleep! :anguished:
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Got the chicken filling for the flautas made, and I have a ton of filling so I suspect after Tuesday it will go in the freezer for later. Also, now that it's dark and cool, baked the bacon for my mom's "sorry your back is acting up" care package of loaded potato soup.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday all!

Yesterday evening, we ended up going over to my best friend's house for post-shopping snacks. We had originally considered stopping for ice cream, but the rain made that too inconvenient. Instead we went back to her place, which was for the best. She offered baked goods, cheese, crackers, veggies, and hummus. I happily chose to eat the veggies and hummus! I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything (I LOVE broccoli), ate until I was full, hit my calories, and hit my saturated fats goal. I came home and had an 80-ish calorie yogurt fudgsicle to celebrate. A solid day.

No idea what is on the menu today. I'm supposed to go out with coworkers for supper tonight, but have been nursing migraine this week and might just bail and stay home on the couch.

Breakfast was multigrain toast and chocolate PB2, but for the rest of the day, I'm not feeling particularly energetic or inspired. Something fast and easy for dinner...maybe scallops? Open a jar of soup? Normally I'd just order pizza on a day like today (rainy, low energy) but here we are. Maybe we'll order sushi?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Something fast and easy for dinner...maybe scallops? Open a jar of soup? Normally I'd just order pizza on a day like today (rainy, low energy) but here we are. Maybe we'll order sushi?

Cauliflower pizza? (the scallops/prawns/etc, frankly, sound like the easiest to control calories with!)

I would watch it with sushi: for me "sufficient" sushi is not readily distinguishable in terms of calories from sufficient pizza! And neither fall on the "low" end! :lol:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We are having BBQ chicken tenders, leftover corn on the cob and a huge salad with so many different vegetables in it!…dessert tonight is a coffee and a Fiber One cookie….snack will be Trisquits, String Cheese and a small meat stick and grapes!…..tomorrow Olive Garden for lunch and I am planning ahead….I think the shrimp scampi is 500 calories plus a salad with light dressing another 100 calories….I really do not need a binge!
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Connie is being smarter than me (as if that's a hard thing!)

Coffee.... pot is almost gone! But I may have "accidentally" turned on the oven at 425 and baked about 342 (edible) grams of chicken wings and 51g of yazu (a citrus-honey-hot) sauce... for just about 1020 Cal (gulp) while dad was out and about!

So... hopefully dinner will be a bit smarter!!! :blush:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So my "accident" with the chicken wings this morning, plus recent mention of Dutchie's old blog https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/ equal?.... They equal "eggplant french toast" on the menu!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I finally ate the rest of the green curry for lunch today. Husband cooked me scallops for supper on top of some spring green with our favorite soy ginger dressing. Of course I had a homemade fudgsicle for dessert.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    So my "accident" with the chicken wings this morning, plus recent mention of Dutchie's old blog https://countingcalscuisine.tumblr.com/ equal?.... They equal "eggplant french toast" on the menu!

So???? How well does that turn out???? Eggplant French Toast just sounds so weird - but I can almost imagine it! A few summers ago I grew eggplants and they were so plentiful we put eggplants into everything just to use them. I must admit thought nothing close to french toast.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I can’t imagine ( nor want to ! ) eggplant French toast!…

I am almost embarrassed to say, I don’t like chicken wings, either!…especially hot gooey ones….a fried one sometimes is ok….better than a thigh….ewwww
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Connie the chicken wings were definitely crispy. Not gooey. Very light dipping in the yazu sauce.

Eggplant was... interesting!!!! Dad ad-libbed illegally and added feta cheese and sriracha sauce to his--not cinnamon and sugar!!!!!!

I had most of the egg plant and other than a bit of water from the eggplant in my plate (which might have been mitigated with better cooking/handling, the ones that cooked well were actually really really good.

I admit to breaking down on the low cal using both butter and brown sugar cubes (the only sugar left in the house). Almost 200 Cal between 14g butter and 20g brown sugar... and still the whole thing was under 530 Cal for a lb of eggplant and 3 large eggs (150g) which I "loosely" calculate as my share.

Instead of sugar a light syrup might have worked even better, though I am not sure that it would have been less calories.

I just might do this again... so not quite a ringing endorsement... but it has some possibilities. My milk to egg ratio may have been off... I used milk powder cause that's all I had handy...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Connie the chicken wings were definitely crispy. Not gooey. Very light dipping in the yazu sauce.

Eggplant was... interesting!!!! Dad ad-libbed illegally and added feta cheese and sriracha sauce to his--not cinnamon and sugar!!!!!!

I had most of the egg plant and other than a bit of water from the eggplant in my plate (which might have been mitigated with better cooking/handling, the ones that cooked well were actually really really good.

I admit to breaking down on the low cal using both butter and brown sugar cubes (the only sugar left in the house). Almost 200 Cal between 14g butter and 20g brown sugar... and still the whole thing was under 530 Cal for a lb of eggplant and 3 large eggs (150g) which I "loosely" calculate as my share.

Instead of sugar a light syrup might have worked even better, though I am not sure that it would have been less calories.

I just might do this again... so not quite a ringing endorsement... but it has some possibilities. My milk to egg ratio may have been off... I used milk powder cause that's all I had handy...

I'm going to give this a shot - sounds like once it is mastered it can be a nice sweet or savoury dish? One thing I miss as a vegetarian (for ??? 30 years now) is "chew." That is maybe why I've taken to those veggie sausage things lately. But I would much rather "chew" on a slice of eggplant if I can learn to master that technique.

Your dad has inspired my dinner tonight! Maybe some kimchi on the side! And a baked sweet potato?

And maybe I'll pick up one of those little bottles of maple syrup and an extra little eggplant to try the sweet version tomorrow. If I'm eating "eggplant" french toast - I'm going to enjoy some syrup - and butter. Something has to give! :)