Non Scale Victories

Options

Replies

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I’ve got victories and defeats...
    1st - victories (of course!) - twice this week have had stressful situations at work...but don’t worry, I ‘m not going into those 😁....a month ago though, I would have finished work and gone to the fridge and ate before dinner🍪 ...or had an early glass of 🍷....however, big drum roll here ...I have resisted & changed years of cr*p behaviour!
    First time,I made a cake - my reduced calorie version of an Applegerbak( & yes, managed a small piece as part of my calorie allowance)
    The second time,I pulled on my trainers and coerced a reluctant dog (it was freezing’ cold out here) take me for a walk. 😇
    So, feels like a massive victory to me! Hopefully this victory feeling can be sustained and govern what I choose to do in future 🤞

2nd - Defeats - bought new set of all singing all dancing weighing scales!
    Has f*cked up my numbers? Weighed 7lbs more than I originally thought, but suspected as I can’t see tiny graduations on my old fashioned dial scales (age? Cr*p eyesight 😂). ..so altered all my numbers on here ... reweighed myself today, Sunday, to find that I have lost 9lbs in two days! So looks like I have lost a stone in just nearly a month 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Argh! ......scales! Driving me mad! Should throw them out of the window, except paid £30 for them!

Lol! That’s Life I suppose!!!!!!!!
  • Janatki
    Options
    Hi Poobah! Spluttered on my tea after reading your NSV! Your fiancé will be smiling today - that’s another NSV 😉🙂
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    @Poobah1972 - you have made my weightloss journey a heck of a lot more fun today. :D
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    @Poobah1972 - you have made my weightloss journey a heck of a lot more fun today. :D
    Janatki wrote: »
    Hi Poobah! Spluttered on my tea after reading your NSV! Your fiancé will be smiling today - that’s another NSV 😉🙂

Lol... My fiancé wanted me to tell you she thoroughly agrees with you both. (and she's got a good laugh out of this as well.) :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    Janatki wrote: »

Lol... My fiancé wanted me to tell you she thoroughly agrees with you both. (and she's got a good laugh out of this as well.) :smiley:

I'm thinking she's just been well set up to be agreeable and to do a lot of laughing today. :)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    My boyfriend put on 30 pounds dealing with PTSD, and while I'm glad to see him getting the weight off because he also has kyphosis and scoliosis and it's bad for his back, and makes him feel awful mentally, the fact that his proportions will return to normal and he will have more stamina is a very nice side benefit.

I prelogged the entire week ahead, and feel very in control of myself, which helps with anxiety. (I'm autistic, so I like to know what will happen.)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    My eating has been out of control this past month and that whole things gets inside my mind and just makes matters worse when I start hating myself and eat to ease that discomfort. It is a battle I'm not winning at the moment but I haven't given up.

But!

Yesterday, for the first time in ??? five years - I RAN (yes RAN!) around the school yard with my grandson and dog. Did I mention I was RUNNING - not just walking fast?

It was a bit painful because all that loose skin was just jiggling like you wouldn't believe so I ended up wrapping my arms around myself as best I could and kept going.

WOW.

I stopped running over time because of a succession of different injuries and then an 85 pound weight gain and just couldn't make my feet do it anymore. But yesterday they did.

That no doubt helped me find the courage this morning to get on the scale. I'm fourteen pounds up from my lowest weight in early March. And that felt pretty terrible. But I'm trying hard not to lose sight of the Life Gains that are still here and still growing. And there are all those summer clothes I bought through Facebook Marketplace hanging in my closet. They are all a bit too snug now - it is amazing to me that 14 pounds actually makes a perceivable difference! When I was up in the high 200s and pretty well all the way down to 190s - that amount of weight didn't seem to make any real difference in how my clothes fit. Going from 168 to 182 makes a big difference!

But - did I mention that I ran yesterday?

Hopefully today I can do something other than look on in disbelief as I eat a familys worth of bad food as a night time snack. Maybe I'll go to bed early and dream of running.
  • Janatki
    Options
    Started doing some weights! Look a lot clumsy & awkward, but there you go... first time ever!
    The weights were sat, dustily in my oldest adult son’s room - I mean he has to have his growin up bedroom still doesn’t he! He’s 26 and left for uni at 18....!
    Anyway, put the weights together with bits of metal! Got that wrong, so many times.... funny how quick I can move when my toes were in jeopardy from flying loose kgs!
    Eventually got some bar weights together, quick search on google & hey presto up & running! So bar lift, dumbbells & squats & I’m in business!
    Rest day tomorrow & next Monday have OPD - going to convince Dr to remove this boot & hopefully can get back to my favourite activity, walking, but I’m interested in doing some more weights!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    My eating has been out of control this past month and that whole things gets inside my mind and just makes matters worse when I start hating myself and eat to ease that discomfort. It is a battle I'm not winning at the moment but I haven't given up.

But!

Yesterday, for the first time in ??? five years - I RAN (yes RAN!) around the school yard with my grandson and dog. Did I mention I was RUNNING - not just walking fast?

It was a bit painful because all that loose skin was just jiggling like you wouldn't believe so I ended up wrapping my arms around myself as best I could and kept going.

WOW.

I stopped running over time because of a succession of different injuries and then an 85 pound weight gain and just couldn't make my feet do it anymore. But yesterday they did.

That no doubt helped me find the courage this morning to get on the scale. I'm fourteen pounds up from my lowest weight in early March. And that felt pretty terrible. But I'm trying hard not to lose sight of the Life Gains that are still here and still growing. And there are all those summer clothes I bought through Facebook Marketplace hanging in my closet. They are all a bit too snug now - it is amazing to me that 14 pounds actually makes a perceivable difference! When I was up in the high 200s and pretty well all the way down to 190s - that amount of weight didn't seem to make any real difference in how my clothes fit. Going from 168 to 182 makes a big difference!

But - did I mention that I ran yesterday?

Hopefully today I can do something other than look on in disbelief as I eat a familys worth of bad food as a night time snack. Maybe I'll go to bed early and dream of running.

Laurie have you been logging everything or do you give up on logging when things go off the rails?

I randomly went through some of your logs a few days back and while the logs didn't look like a major deficit (if you were to add everything up) they certainly wouldn't explain a 14lb gain either! So quite a bit of that may well be water weight.

That said... you HAVE to watch the time period immediately after weight loss.
    You HAVE to watch it and actively manage intake with as much effort as you did during weight loss.

Only rational management and the passage of time will over-ride the hormonal storm that is pushing for regain.

Stabilize (stop the regain) first... push for a deficit second!

IMHO and all that :wink:

I pushed for a measly 4.2lb extra loss (and by pushed we are talking a ridiculously low 163 Cal a day deficit) with the first lock down.... and rebounded to a 7lb regain IN SPITE of expecting it. Mainly due to timing and other things happening at the same time.

BUT GUESS WHAT. That's the insidiousness. There will ALWAYS be timing and other things happening... just enough for the pesky hormones to win UNLESS they are countered by the rational side of us... or in my case countered by the supervisor hamster in charge of food management and eating!!! And yes, the "eat more candy/ice cream/chocolate and definitely all the cookies" hamsters sure seem to win a lot of the battles!!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Laurie have you been logging everything or do you give up on logging when things go off the rails?

I randomly went through some of your logs a few days back and while the logs didn't look like a major deficit (if you were to add everything up) they certainly wouldn't explain a 14lb gain either! So quite a bit of that may well be water weight.

That said... you HAVE to watch the time period immediately after weight loss.
    You HAVE to watch it and actively manage intake with as much effort as you did during weight loss.

Only rational management and the passage of time will over-ride the hormonal storm that is pushing for regain.

Stabilize (stop the regain) first... push for a deficit second!

IMHO and all that :wink:

I pushed for a measly 4.2lb extra loss (and by pushed we are talking a ridiculously low 163 Cal a day deficit) with the first lock down.... and rebounded to a 7lb regain IN SPITE of expecting it. Mainly due to timing and other things happening at the same time.

BUT GUESS WHAT. That's the insidiousness. There will ALWAYS be timing and other things happening... just enough for the pesky hormones to win UNLESS they are countered by the rational side of us... or in my case countered by the supervisor hamster in charge of food management and eating!!! And yes, the "eat more candy/ice cream/chocolate and definitely all the cookies" hamsters sure seem to win a lot of the battles!!!!

I've been trying to log everything - I think I gave up yesterday - but yesterday really wasn't that bad - actually yeah it was.

The weight gain feels a bit over the top -but I do quickly gain 7-8 pounds as soon as I start eating refined carbs - so that should drop off fast.

I'm trying to stabilize now. Lol. In a somewhat messed up way because I just don't trust the numbers that MFP gives me. I've adjusted my settings to the most active and lose 1 pound a week. That gives me over 1800 calories per day - which just feels insanely generous. I'm going to try sticking to that for a week or so and see what happens. I just can't imagine eating more than that and "maintaining" - and I'm really itching to lose those 14 pounds..

I can feel the storm - and I'm trying to go about things intelligently this time around. By "planning" to eat more (not just suddenly going a bit bonkers with the peanut butter and crackers - oh yeah - there was a good bit of that over the past "unlogged" days...I'll go in and add the night time snacks that I think are missing - just to help me make sense of this. I'll also log the missing day or two? Can't remember.

Thank you for your wisdom.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a tangible NSV, but while the scale numbers will hold steady for another month (there are about 2-3 days per month I see a new low weight), I can see some visible changes to my body again. Not enough to see a change in clothing fit necessarily, but in other places.

My face is looking narrower, cheekbones showing more, jaw more defined, less of a double chin. My body feels different across my rib cage. No real change in measurements yet, but I feel less padding around my ribs.

It is odd to me that it is specifically in this weight range that I see these changes. I saw them when I lost this weight last fall, and saw the opposite changes when I gained some back this winter. My face shape changed some when I lost my first 40 lbs, but it is this next 10 lbs where it really becomes noticeable to me. I recognized myself in the mirror again. My reflection finally matches up with what my face looks like in my head.

In other words, I've now entered the phase where I get vain and stare at myself in the mirror all day long.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Great work @conniewilkins56! I think that is the way it is done - if you are going to do it long term. Great example you are setting for us all.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    In today's good news, I finally fit back into the jeans I bought this winter (a regular size 16, without any stretch). I...outgrew them over the Christmas break lol. Today I realized they fit again! Yay!

That is a great victory!
  • eliezalot
    Options
    My weight is continuing to drop! I'm starting to notice other weird body changes now.

When I lay on my back, I really notice my rib cage now. Like...I can grab under it with my hand. This makes me slightly uncomfortable. :lol:

My knees are clonking together more at night (I'm often a side sleeper). I noticed this when I was losing at higher weights too and accordingly adjusted my sleeping position, but apparently things are changing yet again.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    My knees are clonking together more at night (I'm often a side sleeper). I noticed this when I was losing at higher weights too and accordingly adjusted my sleeping position, but apparently things are changing yet again.

extra pillow between...
  • eliezalot
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

extra pillow between...

They really should make padded pajamas...