Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Thank you for your support and all went well yesterday. I just treated it like any other Thursday and even had a lean cuisine turkey dinner in my freezer. Rode my bike, watched some shows and checked in with Lisa who was still running a temp as was Charlie. Haven't heard from them this morning but I am sure I will once they are up and about. I am doing laundry and tonight meeting friends at the American Legion where I used to play bingo. A friend and his wife are in from Tennessee so we are meeting them there. It is very cold here at 22 degrees and a wind chill of 19. Winter has arrived.

Patsy, it will be hard for Babe to let go, he has a tendency to hang on longer than he should. I just keep telling him not to let her suffer and he agrees. We will see if he calls to let me see her, with Cheryl home because of foot surgery she may not agree for me to see her although it should be Babe's decision. Time will tell. I am glad you are flexible like me as far as Thanksgiving dinner, it doesn't matter what day we share a meal as long as we are together.

Lin, you had a busy but pleasant day yesterday and a wonderful dessert. My guess is Lisa is going to go for a rapid test today because she does worry about me even though I am fully vaccinated. I am hoping they are all just coming down with colds and nothing more serious. They all have flu shots so even if the flu they shouldn't have severe cases. Our winters are brutal aren't they? I too, hope Babe works it out that I can see Daisy, she is after all my baby girl.

Jackie, love the virtual hug and grabbed it immediately. That picture is so beautiful you should blow it up and frame it or better yet have Patsy or Anne paint it for you. (with pay of course lol)

Anne, oh my goodness what a horrible thing to happen with your necklace. You should have grabbed a pair of scissors and tried to cut it, it could always be repaired. A half hour is a long time and if there is ever a next time run by Marie to help you. Sounds so scary. Happy your place is getting warmer with the new insolation.

One of Bryanna's dancers who did competition dance with her texted me and asked if I had any DVD's from certain years. She is 5 years older than Bryanna so didn't dance with her long. Anyway I found three that include her so I am making copies and getting them to her. That will be part of my day.
    Have a good day and keep staying safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    I’m home after my lunch with friends in Plymouth and a bit of. Christmas shopping added on. My concerns about it being Black Friday were unnecessary as there was less traffic than usual so I found a long stay car park at the other end of town to the restaurant and walked. One friend couldn’t join us due to sickness but we still managed to have a great catch up and laugh. Frightening that we first worked together over 40 years ago! Lovely food including a white chocolate and salted caramel dessert so if I don’t report my weight in the morning you know why!

Horrid weather that buffeted my car as I drove home so it will be interesting to see what damage occurs overnight because walking George and Betty round the block this morning I noticed 3 separate properties in the midst of roof repairs that are covered in plastic tarpaulins that flapped and pulled away from their ties. That will be a noisy night for some.

Sandy, that’s too cruel to think of stopping you from seeing Daisy so I do hope Cheryl realises there is nothing to be gained from such behaviour. Fingers crossed Lisa and Charlie are free of Covid but it appears the main symptoms are now cold like so if that’s what it is, at least they can get it out of the way for now. I just heard on the radio another variant has started in Africa which is soul destroying

Oh-oh, down to 1% battery… back later
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Lisa is negative for Covid.....grateful.
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We woke up to flurries now departed. However they return in earnest on Sunday apparently.

Mark worked so hard yesterday. He arrived at 10, had a two hour break and then worked until six pm. The result - the insulation is installed in the little hall and stairwell plus a covering of plastic sheeting, and what a difference. I was boiling hot in the upstairs and so was Jilly who spent most of the time scratching until Mark lowered the thermostat to 72 degrees. Now its perfect and we are toasty warm.

No excitement at all except for a lady who asked if she could park her car on my drive overnight. Visiting friends she didn't want a ticket. Of course I said yes and she'd gone by the time the groceries and Michael arrived around 9:30.

Michael stayed until 2:00 after having had lunch and taking Bean for two long walks and arriving back blue with cold but with a very happy Bean who wanted to play fingers and ball.

And here I am wondering if SANDYs family is okay and feeling very sad hearing about Babe and Daisy. PATSY I hope you are having Thanksgiving today with Damon whilst LINs sounded perfect. No sigh of JACKIE. so I'll say adieu for now,
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    A very rainy day here. Damon is to show up very soon, as usual I am concerned until he drives and honks twice in the drive way to barking Katie and whining Miskey. Always a merry arrival.

I am so grateful that my beautiful and lovable sneakers friends are well and busy as bees. Do you realize how different we are and yet totally connected and in tune with each other? How great is that?

My mashed potato’s will need to be reheated and my broccoli was never steamed yesterday but that will be done while we heat up the rest of the food. Thanksgiving dinner revisited! John bought a special wine for dinner. Now in truth, I really can’t tell the difference much in wine. Damon and John can taste things I just don’t understand. I am not sophisticated when it comes to wine.

I will phone our daughter to see how she is today. Sometimes I think she enjoys the drama of being in pain and ill. I know that is unkind but I don’t mean it in bad way. I understand some people have an uncontrollable need for attention and sympathy. It controls her life.

All our leaves have fallen now. Except for the blackberries. What amazing vines…some as big around as a garden hose and covered with long needle like thorns. Scary plants. We have a local herd of goats that can gobble then up. Various people actually rent this herd to help clear blackberry vines. Might be a good idea but Katie would be hysterical, seriously!
    And now back to this thanksgiving dinner…….blessings to you all dear sneakers.
    Patsy☘️ & John & Katie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Just popped in and found you all before my posting. You weren't there before. Isn't that weird.
    Very happy Lisa is okay SANDY and JACKIE I hope tonight isn't too blustery. Some awful weather on our east and west coasts, but apart from normal cold and the odd snow flake we are okay so far.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    All charged up but time for bed.
    The city of Plymouth is a rather bleak place since it was heavily bombed during the war and by the time the rubble was cleared it was early 60’s when architects were crazy about modern grey concrete blocks and square buildings. It is, to be honest, a soulless place, more so since lockdowns have put so many small stores out of business but as I walked, or actually got blown, back to my car after lunch, I took this photo on my phone as a red double decker bus gave me a smile.
    2313llbabi9r.jpeg

Back to windy moors and woods tomorrow!
    Nite, nite
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    Hello! Me again. I stayed up quite late last night reading and watching dogs strutting around the show ring. Nice evening but I didn’t get much sleep so I was dragging when I woke up. I did want to finish the book though, so I did and then started sorting through my email. I never did make a cup of coffee. So I am tired tonight.

After lunch, I addressed envelopes for Christmas cards and watched the new animated version of the Grinch with Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of Mr. Grinch. I liked it but there will always be a place in my heart for the original half hour version. I exchanged emails with a friend this afternoon and she forwarded a photo of them with the 4 grandchildren. My goodness, that family can smile!

Phone rang a bit later and another fairly long conversation with a friend who wanted to apologize for not getting her fall/Thanksgiving cards in the mail. She said she had been very busy. She was a little frustrated that she had purchased the cards but didn’t get them mailed. Next year right? A couple of years ago, a friend told me she didn’t get her a Christmas cards in the mail as she had been in the hospital. She just saved them and sent them the following year. She didn’t misplace them. 🤣

Jackie, that is some quite grey weather today but you’re right, that bright red bus is a happy sight! Glad you had some laughs with your friends today. That is also a great boost to the day. We had cold, windy weather today. The wind died down just after dark (so I made a trip down the street for my mail which included several tiny packets of tomato seeds for next year’s containers).

Anne, happy day for you and Jilly. Sorry that Mike turned blue outside with the Bean. He needs to bring more clothing for dog walking. It was kind of you to let the lady park in your driveway. And I hope you received everything you wanted in this week’s grocery order. Enjoy the toasty house!

Sandy, I hope Lisa and Charlie will feel better soon. It is probably good to be very cautious about avoiding illness. Even if it is not Covid, the flu can be severe. I know you received a shot but isn’t it odd, they used to comment each year on the combo of flu virus they formulated in the shot and often the mix was said to be ineffective. No one seems to say anything now. Just get the shot. Also I hope you have lots of fun with your friends.

Patsy, happy feasting to you. Enjoy! I hope your daughter is feeling well enough to have a good conversation with you. I trust you will enjoy the wine selection!

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

A cheery red teapot.

i3m305o5stsp.jpeg
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Wow, I found myself locked out and have spent hours trying everything until I decided the only option was downloading the MFP app. So at least I can get in to our sneakers group on my phone and will work on getting back on my tablet another time. 🤨

We had a crazy storm in the night with 100 mph winds in places. I did my best to walk with George and Betty on a lower section of the moors but although they had a great time because they are short and stubby, I came close to getting knocked over a couple of times plus it was freezing cold, so back home!

I need a coffee after all the concentration needed to fight my way into MFP so will hopefully return later. If not, you know what’s happening again!

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, a sunny and windy day here. I was going to run an errand but I went outside and my sinuses said “no way.” They are throbbing and I am not feeling too good now. I have been sorting Christmas cards and have given a first attempt at matching card designs with recipients. Not sure I have gone a good job and even found one set of cards that do not have sentiments stamped inside. Ooops! More work to do!

And I have found some cars that are just not usable….too many faux pas. 😕

I will keep working on them and hopefully some will go in the mail early next week.

Jackie, what a massive struggle to get back here! I saw a new user name and thought, what is going on. Glad you are here. Sorry to hear of the horrible storms. Those winds must have caused damage. I had my coffee this morning but I could use another cup!

Be safe.

I don’t see posts from anyone else today. Don’t know what is wrong with MFP. Maybe the posts will appear later.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

0w8d59v6vxmc.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Thanksgiving dinner postponed until tomorrow, my son now has the cold being passed around. My night with friends went ok with a few hurdles. One of the ladies was trying to order the pizza but couldn't hear and got cut off. So they brought the phone to me and I repeated the order except when she asked what size did we want our three pizzas I said the biggest which was wrong and we got three stadium pizzas for $140 with delivery and tip. It was an honest mistake and we were treating the couple from Tennessee so it cost us big money with drinks and tip. I felt terrible. One of the ladies called me when I got home and was upset that we treated the couple and I couldn't understand why. Since her husband was with her their portion was double of we three single ladies. I tried apologizing and even offered to send her some money but she only got more angry and said she didn't need my money. Not sure what got into her but today I again apologized and she said there is nothing to apologize for except she still couldn't understand why we paid for the other couple. They brought us giant pretzels that you put in the microwave for 30 seconds and I have 6, three for each grandchild. The others also took as many as they wanted so that was generous. Lesson learned we will meet at a restaurant the next time they are in town and go Dutch treat. I happened to stop at my slot machine place on the way home and won all the money I spent so it cost me nothing.

Lisa posted this last night and it just melts my heart.
    tukc90sdz2nu.jpg

Have a good day and stay warm and safe.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Cold and wet here. We are having a lovely visit with Damon, I am again thanking God for family and friends.

Katie is in love with Damon, and she is trying to keep,his dog Miskey as far away from him as possible. I am sad that Katie is so territorial and jealous. She gets so frantic and growls at Damon’s little old doggie. We work it out with Katie. Separate areas for feeding. We pet Katie when we also pet Miskey.

MFP is having issues. Not sure why they didn’t use old softwear. Maybe in the agreement somewhere.

Sandy: isn’t it odd about things like that? A little bit of money can cause such a big problem. Sorry it caused such big bad feelings on what should have been a happy visit.

Jackie: technology is designed to drive us all mad. I am convinced that it is demonic.

Lin: don’t dispare. We all must have an undetermined number of mistakes before we are entitled to successes. Not sure what that ratio is however. I am still working on that.

Off to wash dishes and plan a dinner with leftovers.
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Options
    We had snow overnight. Not much so far but enough to let us know old man winter's back! After reading about the gale force winds in the UK JACKIE I'm very glad you are in one piece. Trees down and three people killed I believe.

SANDY, money IS the root of all evil! My long gone friend Annie used to say "well, give me some root".

Does anyone know how long shingles last? My face and forehead are now clear and my scalp is almost there, but I have very itchy/painful ankles and legs. I've had this dreaded lurgy since the beginning of September. Between 2 bee stings, shingles, 2 molars pulled etc its been quite a memorable year and to crown it all, my ancient iPad gave up the ghost this morning. Nothing at all, dead as the proverbial dodo after being charged all night. Worse things at sea as my Mum used to say!

Lots of people on the phone yesterday including Maria who went with 9 family members to see the ballet The Nutcracker in Toronto. Proof of vaccination needed and masks in hand etc.
    Oh and Mikes Sandy phoned full of advice on age related matters, mainly me falling over if I don't get a walking stick. I think she was feeling lonely though because .later in the evening I found she had invited Mike over for supper after work. He usually phones to say goodnight near bedtime. I don't think Bean will get to see him today because after a brief lull the snow will be a full day event.

All for now and I hope everyone is waking up safe and sound.

Anne.

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) We are finally going to eat the Thanksgiving food today before it goes bad. They still aren't feeling that good so we are eating early at one and I won't stay long unless they need my help.
    Bryanna spent the night and might go with me but considering she is still sleeping not sure she will want to go that early. We should have just donated the food to a homeless shelter but we will make the best out of it.

Have a good day and who knows I might be back later.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Just as I feared, I couldn’t get back to the Sneakers yesterday and it’s now just taken forever even having downloaded their App to my tablet. Back to “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it” because to my mind whoever fiddled with the website to “improve” it has made a total mess of things.

The wind died down in the night so I checked for damage in the garden first thing but the worst problem is an old rose trellis blowing over, no doubt in shock at the strong wind coming from the east rather than our usual south westerly. A temporary job has been done with wire, pliers, smoke and mirrors until a major refit takes place.
    I took George and Betty round the neighbouring village then on to the fields housing the ancient Neolithic burial chamber with barely a human or dog in sight then back home to create a large pot of bean and chorizo casserole since I actually remembered to soak the beans overnight. It’s been slowly cooking in the oven for a couple of hours and smells wonderful, if I do say so myself. 🙃

Anne, for some reason I do think shingles can be a long process, even when invisible, but I’ve no idea how you find out for sure. I’m betting you won’t particularly want to be visiting your nice GP but can you book a telephone consultation? Complaints locally from a couple of people needing to talk to their GP, they’ve been offered dates in January! Our problem is so many new houses being built with no additional infrastructure and no plans for more!
    Sounds to me like Sandy is trying to become a caring daughter-in-law so watch out Mike!

Sandy, how sad that friend is concentrating on a few dollars she would rather not have spent on others rather than the pleasant get together. Funny, when we paid our restaurant bill for Friday’s lunch we split it equally without comment other than to remind each other of a time long ago when we met up with another group of ex colleagues and one individual created such a terrible fuss because her dessert was cheaper than everyone else’s we made a pact never to invite her again! As I always say, it’s only money!
    That’s a beautiful photo of the boys and I imagine they will be best friends forever.

Oh dear Patsy, Katie is definitely a diva isn’t she and doesn’t care how bonded Damon and Miskey might be. Betty is the same… me, me, me!! Had a phone call from my friends who recently adopted their black 10 week old Labrador Bonny and it seems even a pup that stayed with mum and siblings for possibly twice as long as Katie was allowed, is clingy and a little bit concerned about the outside world so a personality trait to somehow overcome. I’m not sure they have the patience you and John demonstrate so watch this space!

I hope you are feeling better today Lin and your sinuses are behaving. Another quiet day at home might be a good idea.

I made the mistake last night of watching a couple of episodes of The Crown, series one and am now wondering at what point in the story can I break away. Of course, because I’m old enough to remember, there are one or two jarring time shifts, never mind the script writer’s imagination running riot, but I can see the entertainment value and why so popular!
    I’m still getting used to my Smart TV that had a mind of its own!

Dark outside well before 5pm so time to draw the curtains and contemplate a log fire.
    Take care everyone. A new Covid variant amongst us, masks and social distancing ordered (not that I ever dropped them!) and our poor Boris worrying about cancelling Christmas 2 years in a row!

Jackie 😍
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, I am working on bits and pieces and changes to the Christmas cards. But I am not feeling at all well. My sinuses are quite swollen and sore and working on little bells and snowflakes is causing a headache. I did walk out to get a package that was delivered yesterday. The winds discouraged me from going down the block to the mailboxes. Now I have the box but haven’t opened it yet. ☺️

Jackie, darn, still having problems getting to our group. That is not at all good. Poor old rose trellis, not a match for that wind. Good job making some temporary repairs. Excellent to cook a nice pot of beans. Leftovers for a few days and I think they always taste great. Enjoy whatever program you have found this evening. More of The Crown?

Sandy, well, I hope you can enjoy the meal a little bit. But it doesn’t sound like the normal exciting feast day. Take care I hope the cold avoids you.

Sandy and Jackie, it’s been a long time since I was out with friends. But most of the time when some of us went out to lunch or for drinks, we always had separate checks. Same with birthday dinners. The one thing we did was order an appetizer and the person who ordered it, just had it added to their bill. Sometimes there were multiple appetizers! Alcohol was always kept separate. On a few occasions, we split the bill equally but not often. I read, way back when, that it was how most women handled it.

Anne, oh darn, the iPad is totally dead!?! My charging cord has to be in some exact position in order to charge. Also a big problem. I don’t know what is wrong, whether it is the cord or the prongs inside the iPad? Most of the time I can get it to charge again after fussing with it for a long time.

Patsy, Katie is the queen of the house so of course she doesn’t recognize any other creature’s right to love and affection while in her space.

Well, back to the cards, and some more hot tea.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

kcox5uxrr6ex.jpeg
  • Annsie35
    Options
    It's a winter wonderland here. That lovely time when the trees are full of fluffy snow and everyones house looks like a Christmas card. I watched "Father Christmas is back" on Netflix which was filmed in my old neck of the woods. I think I recognized the pub which was named The Pipe and Glass but changed for the movie. The Christmas Eve Party in the pub brought back some very happy memories! Then I followed with something which is very unusual for me, still feeling a bit gooey I watched "Christmas at the castle". Anyway the two shows made me feel a little more in a christmassy mood.

LIN I wish for you freedom from those dreadful sinus's you suffer. Is it to do with where you live? I ask because when we lived in Derbyshire Michael suffered the same and it cleared up never to return when we moved here.
    That's so true what you said about Katie Lin. She is simply defending that which is hers. I think if I lived with you PATSY I'd do the same! She has such a good life with her Mom and Dad.
    JACKIE should be climbing into her Jim jams about now. Please stay upright in the those gale force winds, I remember them well,
    and SANDY it sounds as if the "friend" who objected to paying for visiting friends meals is either extremely poverty stricken or simply a cheap skate lacking in taste.

And on that note I must phone one of MY friends, goodnight all, pleasant dreams,
    Anne.

• Sandydur
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Good Evening! :) I am home and although everyone there was under the weather we managed to have a nice dinner. Rob, who also has a bad cold did most of the cooking (reheating) and I heated up all the sides. Poor Lisa is just trying to get better, after her test, her cold and her vaccine. It didn't help that she raked up about ten bags of leaves yesterday. I drank some Emergen-C before I left for home and will take some tomorrow as well. Having a glass of wine, maybe two which should kill all germs. lol

Exciting news from Ohio. My son proposed and gave his girl a ring after 12 years together. She said yes and couldn't wait to tell me last night but swore me to secrecy. They announced it on Facebook today and I am more than happy. She has been married before and has a son who is married with three little girls. She always said she didn't want to marry again as she thought she failed in her last marriage.
    He has had the ring for years but was afraid she would say no. Now that they bought a house he felt the time was right and she said he got down on one knee. I was in tears of happiness.

As far as the friend I complained about, it was just not like her. She is the most generous person I know and would give you the shirt off her back. I am not sure what got into her Friday but she just wasn't herself. I in fact owe her money and she is refusing to accept it so believe me when I say something was off with her. She is back to her old self and I do adore her so I will let it go and just move forward. Sorry for complaining earlier. We four friends go out to dinner and always just split the check four ways unless it is someone's birthday than we split it three ways.

Babe's son checked himself out of rehab and they let him come home. Yesterday her had a terrific headache so went to the ER. They made him stay in hospital because they said he had a brain bleed and a possible clot. I called Babe this morning to see how his son was doing but no information. Later he called and said they might release him from hospital today. He said it wasn't as bad as they thought and gave him medicine to take for a month and he should be fine. Not sure if he is lying to his father but at least Babe feels better about him

Time to relax after cleaning the whole kitchen and dishes so the rest of them could lay down on the couch and get some rest. It still was good just to be together.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Sandydur
    Options
    So Lisa’s rapid test came back negative. She got an email tonight saying she was positive. I think all of them have it since they all are sick. It says I don’t have to quarantine if fully vaccinated but wear a mask and get tested. So now I will be staying in and getting tested in 5-7 day. I am not worried so don’t worry about me.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Good morning Sandy. I’ve just caught up with your news and wanted to send a virtual hug, the only kind you can have at the moment!! ❤️
    The main symptoms of Covid are like a bad cold these days but for sure, your vaccinations should protect you from feeling ill so spoil yourself, stay in your warm, cosy apartment and please take care. Maybe, if you do get the sniffles, get tested so you know unless of course you don’t feel you want to know!

Wonderful news about your son and his partner and definitely something to look forward to… another wedding!

It’s another cold day and the electric heater in my bedroom keeps tripping the mains switch so my job today will be to fit a spare radiator that’s currently sitting in my garage. It’s got a plug so no electrics required, just fiddly drilling and measuring… the air might get even more blue! 🤬🥶

First, we have to go walking!
    Jackie 🥰