Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I just realized I didn't answer your question. No. It wasn't the neighbor that had the puppies. He lived beside them though. I spent a lot of time at his house when I was little. I was closer with his first wife who died in 2013, I think. She was like a second mom to me. Dad and he were good friends.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @swenson19 so sorry about your husbands elbow! That's a decent fracture.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I'm still just ticking over. Trying to get back to thing. Weight seems to be holding steady. I'm hardly weighing and not tracking at all. Honestly I feel much better for it. I get so obsessed when tracking and all I think about is food. I do get times atm when I'm like, I need to lose a couple of kg just so clothing fit better. But overall I just feel way happier atm. I'll just leave things be for a bit.

Winter now anyway.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon

Not much going on. But I did go out and do a 1.5 mile WOG (walk/jog) this am. I need to stretch tonight LOL.

Grey cat woke me up at 5:15 dry heaving...I think his nausea meds wear off in the early hours of the AM. If this keeps up, I might give a sliver of a pill just before bed, annoying since the pills are a couple dollars each. But since I was up...out I went.

Big winds again tonight...they were 40+ mph last night, I thought the house was going to start shaking.

I got on the scale this AM, 165...so hopefully not to much damage in the month I took off. Maybe I can be down under 160 by my holiday in 5 weeks...as I snack on redvines currently...why do I even like them?

Back to it! Another round of deployers going out.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I've noticed I do that sometimes soon - when I'm really focused on what I eat food is all I think about. I agree with you, that isn't healthy either. I'm glad you are happy. That's what is most important.

@CMorning99 At least you took advantage of being awake and got in a wog. I would have gone back to bed. LOL High winds are scary to me. I hope they die down soon. I had to look up what redvines is. Obviously, I am not a fan of licorice. You can have them all, as far as I am concerned. LOL
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    @swenson19d - Have you tried giving Sandy some pumpkin. It seems to help Hobbes when he has diarrhea/loose stools. I seem to recall you were giving them some already though.
    I am so glad Eric didn't hit his head! I hope getting back to work even with one immobilized arm, will make him calmer and less angry.
    @CMorning99 - The winds have been crazy! I sat out back with the pups early this morning and it was bad but by this afternoon I was watching the palm trees really swaying and was wondering if they were going to come down. I saw on the news that they are supposed to calm down by tomorrow morning. Glad yo you were able to get out for a little wog!
    @quilteryoyo - I hope you can get into a better sleep schedule and it helps. Does the magnesium help with your sleep too? I take magnesium oxide before bed mostly for leg cramps but it definitely also helps me sleep.
    Beaux has been waking up and whining early. At home I guess he sleeps until 8am. Here he hasn't slept past 6:30-7 and usually starts in whining around 6am... my sleep schedule is way off and is definitely affecting how tired I am in addition to all the walking/running.
    We will miss him but I don't know when we will have him again. Dh isn't a big fan of puppy exuberance except from a distance, even though he isn't really impacted by it, it just inconveniences him.
    One disaster we did have yesterday... Beaux and Hobbes were happily playing in the family room with a new toy. Beaux was squeaking it and Hobbes was literally singing to the squeaking. I made a little video and sent it to Beaux's parents. Dh had walked into the room and was laughing at them when Beaux stood up and just peed and peed all over the new rug! I shoved him out the patio door, still peeing and dh just stood there. I finally yelled at him to get some towels while I used a towel we keep by the door to wipe paws. We had a huge argument about it... Long and short - the ruggable worked as expected. I pulled the cover off and put it and the towels I cleaned up with, all in the wash and it came out good as new. I am sure Beaux was just over stimulated and he is still a puppy. Was having too much fun and it hit him that he just had to go.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I didn't know Magnesium Oxide helped with sleep. I do seem to be sleeping some better, so maybe. Trying to go to bed by 11 and at 6 seems to be helping too. I know that's not 8 hours, but it is better than 4 or 5. LOL I missed my bedtime by an hour last night because I was playing on the phone. I'm going to have to stop that.
    Poor Beaux. Tippy used to pee in the floor at the vets every time we went when she was a puppy. I know she was just scared and/or overstimulated. The staff was great with it though. I'm glad the ruggable worked as advertised.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I'm sure Beaux was out of sorts. Sounds like he may be homesick or just out of routine. Sandy peed on the rug while I was in and out taking care of DH in the hospital. It was just stressful for her to have the major changes. Ive washed the living room ruggable 4-5 times and it is great, I washed both of them yesterday actually. They seem to get softer with each wash.

Sandy is not sure how to exist without Kevin. She doesn't play. I thought about taking her to day care, but she just hangs out with the dog minder all day, same thing she does here. I took her for a walk yesterday, very short- maybe 2 blocks before she was overstimulated and we turned around. She still has a week and a half to figure it out. It so quiet around here without Kev. Sandy is really a good dog and doesn't get into as much, and listens better. Kev is just an excited pup.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I haven't been logging in a few days either. It's one of those things that can easily become an obsession. And I mostly eat similar things every day for breakfast and lunch, We rotate through similar dinners. Only eating out is different. I go back and forth on if I should log.

It's been incredibly windy here too. Bad for the allergies lol It was also like 45 this morning! I think this may be our last cool weather for a while.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Caretaking extra for my mom this week because the woman who usually helps with my mom is helping out extra with a debilitated neighbor while his wife takes a vacation.

@swenson19d you talking about your husband acting out because of being gimpy reminds me of this guy.

He’s the husband of my mother’s closest friend, and officially the person I look at when I need to be reminded why I run and log food - he is upwards of 600 lbs and completely immobile because when he broke a hip they were unable to operate due to him being unable to be anesthetized. He’s diabetic, in kidney failure, and unfortunately for all concerned a really bad patient. My mom’s caretaker is a saint, and the other day she came home cussing which I have never seen from her. She said she finally had enough and told him that she was going to start keeping track of the times he was rude to her and charging extra per episode. He is just constantly demanding and noncompliant and he had an absolute hissy fit at the idea of his wife leaving him to take a vacation - which would be her first time away from their house in 15 years. Wife said, too bad so sad, and didn’t look back. So now he is taking it out on the nurse, caretaker, and dialysis people. It’s sad because while he has always been huge, he used to be an interesting, funny person and functional human being who wasn’t disabled, and he 100% did this to himself. I have seen him eat literally an entire spread intended for a party of 20 people by himself in about 10 minutes, before anyone else got to the food. It’s probably some sort of mental illness, but honestly it seems more like he just really wants what he wants and doesn’t care about anything else.

I’ve been logging everything but despite being under calories my weight is creeping up. I need to tighten my logging, but it seems that doing less running is the problem. I always thought I was over counting running calories, but it seems like if anything I was undercounting them, because running less is having a huge impact.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I'm sure that Sandy misses Kevin a lot. How is Kevin doing? Do you get daily updates?

@RunsOnEspresso I get not logging everyday. It does/can become an obsession. I'm like you with similar breakfast every day. My lunches and dinners do vary a lot - especially when I am not eating like I should. I do like trying to at least check in every day to see what everyone is doing. We haven't gotten our last cold snap yet. It may be below freezing again here on Tuesday. I hope they are wrong about that since so many of the trees have those tender leaves on them right now.

@rheddmobile I'm glad the wife decided to take a break. Sounds like she really needed it for her mental health. I don't get people who eat like that - and usually they will complain that they don't understand why they can't lose weight. I'm sorry that your mom's caregiver is having to put up with that too. I was going to say maybe someone could get him interested in some sort of hobby that would give his something to do, but if he has been like that for 15 years, it's highly unlikely that he would be willing to give it a try. I hope your mom is doing okay and you can enjoy some extra time with her....even though as I recall, she can be a little demanding too. I'm with you on weight. It seems when I don't run as much, my weight creeps up too. Of course, when I really look back, part of my problem is that when I don't run I seem to not eat as well either. From past experience, I know that running is the only way I seem to be able to lose weight and keep it off. Walking and tennis just don't do it for some reason.

I was planning to be home today, but they need me to go into work at 11:30, so I said yes. My plan is to get my run in beforehand. It is so much easier when I do. I hate having that "hanging over my head" all day.

• RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I skipped my run yesterday. I don't think I got enough sleep this past weekend. We had a hockey game Thursday, a baseball game Friday, and a hockey game Tuesday. Sunday we had breakfast with friends and ran errands. And the dog would not sleep past like 430 each day. Today I finally got 7.5 hours of sleep, much better than the 6 I had been getting but dog still woke at 3 am and I had to cuddle with her until she fell asleep.

@rheddmobile I'm sure there's probably some mental health issue with your mom's friend. Yah, it sucks when you're injured but you gotta help yourself and not just complain. I'm glad his wife finally got a break and the caregiver told him she was gonna charge him more. Neither should have to put up with that.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile I'd go on permanent vacation if Dh acted like that. He was coming off of steroids fro asthma. Those things can make you extra angry. I try to be somewhat patient. He is better. He got mad that I ordered a new mattress for dd. His cousin owes me 800$, so told him to get it from them. He still got mad so I gave him the 300$ for the mattress, sheesh. The next day he'd calmed down and gave it back. He is mental. Glad the big guys wife is living a little away from the oppression. I keep threatening to play airplane roulette. We do have a joint account and I bring in 4000+/month. He should chill and let me take care of stuff that I see fit. He is mad that dd is a "mooch". I like her here. he can get stuffed.

@quilteryoyo IDK that Sandy misses Kev. She misses Dh when hes gone and looks for him. She looked for Kev once the first day, but doesn't seem bothered. Prob checking to see if he had anything she could take from him. I text the trainer yesterday. She said he is doing well, plays with her puppy. They are working on the demand barking. It is quiet with only 1 puppy in the house. Sandy will nap all day. I have o get her out for some exercise. I think if there is a spot, Ill take her to daycare tomorrow or monday. She might want to play enough to actually engage.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Always a party here LOL

Grey cat is still hanging in there...what a tough old bird for sure. I have no idea what his eye is doing, as long as there is no puss or blood I guess that is the best we can as for. Last night it was really teary, like tears dripping off his face and the eye was noticeably smaller. I am not sure if the scar tissue is disappearing or if the eye is slowly shrinking and rotating and we just cant see it anymore. No point in taking him to the vet. I split his nausea pill in half and did half in AM and half in PM and that seemed to do the trick, no 5am wake up yack. I decided to call in a hail mary and see if I could put all his meds into 1 dish and see if he would eat it. I tried each antibiotic and to me they tasted like chalk so nothing was bitter (that I could tell). He didn't touch it, but he may also be very wary in the AM b/c he thinks I am gonna get him with meds. We are still separating the boys so I put it out for him and hopefully it will be gone by lunch time when I go back. Risky to do for the antibiotics but after nearly 2 weeks and 10 more days to go...we are ALL over it.

Got in a 2 mile WOG yesterday. Used the Peloton app...been paying for it so might as well.

Not tracking calories but like many of you, it is too stressful. I have however made a rule of no snacking after dinner.

Debit card number was stolen last night and used in Canada. Thankfully grey cat wiped me out this paycheck and all they could manages was $36 of coffee at Starbucks. I am curious how they got the number, the card is not attached to anything on the internet so whoever got it had to have access to me or the fast food restaurant I used it at...it is just my run around town card.

Still on my Red Vines kick...why did I buy a 1lb bag..ugh.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Man today is rough.
    I’m waiting to get my steroid shot and decide to clean up e-mails. One is asking for a kidney for a 4 yr old named Alex. Ok… I bit.
    Then the doc come in to do the shot. His name is Maitland. Swear with my hearing it sounds like Malin. Alex’s middle name. I tear up. I don’t think I took meds today. I forgot if I did them just took one of them in case I doubled it.

I scheduled a swanky hair cut here in Dallas. I’m a bit early so if they can’t work with me, I’ll skip it. It’s 2.5 hours from now. I can be home by then.

I must be overdue for a cry
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @CMorning99 Probably one of those scanners by someone in the parking lot then sold online. If you use it for gas some of those skimmers have gotten really hard to spot on the pumps.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I'm glad you got more sleep @RunsOnEspresso . It is hard to exercise when you don't sleep like you should. Seems to be harder the older I get.

@swenson19d Funny that Sandy was just seeing if Kevin had left anything she could take without him there. Dogs are hilarious. I'm glad DH settled down some and hope the elbow isn't too painful for him.

@CMorning99 Glad Grey cat seems to be doing better with the split pill. Mom can't get her cat to take pills at all. It's a true struggle. I'm glad you didn't lose much when you debit card number was taken. I hope it's not too much trouble to get that all straightened out.

@swenson19d Sorry for the tough day. Hugs. Sometimes you just need to cry and let it all out.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 Probably one of those scanners by someone in the parking lot then sold online. If you use it for gas some of those skimmers have gotten really hard to spot on the pumps.

When ours was stolen it turned out to be the middleman who processes cards for gas stations. Nothing you can do about that!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

When ours was stolen it turned out to be the middleman who processes cards for gas stations. Nothing you can do about that!

Oh, that reminds me. There was a local restaurant and the servers got caught not once but twice stealing credit card numbers! Different servers a few years apart but it's like was management behind that??

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I too have heard about restaurant workers copying/stealing credit card and debit card numbers. As much as possible now we use Apple Pay if a merchant accepts it. I do the same with online purchases so it limits the number of places that actually has my cc number and we don't use the debit card except at the ATM.

@swenson19d it is interesting that Sandy is so different with Kevin not there. I am sure they play off each other. I hope you got your swanky hair cut! You will have to post some pictures!! I hope you are feeling better and that the good cry helps! Did you get the steroid shot, did it help?

Had my MRI today... Now the wait is on for the results. Interestingly I was talking to the nurse supervisor who mentioned (completely unsolicited) that one of their biggest issues is with the scheduling department. They only have 6 schedulers handling 1200 calls per day. Not an excuse but it is also an entry level position and some of the people are really bad (her words).