Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    @Yoolypr I use those shells a lot for my chicken feta rolls. They aren’t terrible and lower in calories.

We ended up using white rice cause that’s what my kid wanted. I used very little rice and a big amount of chicken. I made peas, carrots, and corn with it. Super yummy. Had enough veggies left that I had only veggies for dinner last night.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    So the hash this morning was amazing. Especially after the workout I did. Quick yoga stretch and then some cardio. Feeling good.

But the hash... yum. Super simple with some onion, shredded potatoes, and the leftover steak. Topped with some A1 sauce and over easy eggs. I also had some leftover roasted zucchini so had that on the side.

Not sure on dinner though. Was gonna do a loaded baked potato but that doesn't sound great. I have a few frozen meals so may just do one of them. Or some soup cause it is cold and snowing. But I will eat something I have here at home!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am making some slow cooker white chicken chili.

Last night I ended up just having a frozen Trader Joe's Orange Chicken Bowl. It worked.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    is the chili white or are the chicken parts white? One of the two is something I've yet to encounter! :blush:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,843 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    is the chili white or are the chicken parts white? One of the two is something I've yet to encounter! :blush:

White beans and chicken.
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-white-chili/
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You kids are having all the fun! :love:

I had "bunniegeddon" (350g) and super market frozen butter chicken, with 53g of the rice from that tray going to DA DOG for a savings of 69 Cal :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Well I see you have survived eating your magical veggie concoction! Actually it didn’t sound half bad.
    However, I have a thing about too many flavor in one pot. Kind of ruins the enjoyment of the key ingredients for me. Hubby is a fan of tossing everything into a skillet with several strong herbs or seasoning. I’m more of a purist.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Be careful... you're verging on Connie's no touch policy! I'm more of a one pot sort of person 'cause it cuts down on the dish-washing!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sadly my veggie concoction is now gone!

I am concerned that my option for today may not be up to snuff! :fearful:

"california mix" riced veggies 500g <-- that is not bad at all at 150-160 Cal. BUT. 400g of butter chicken added on top means an extra 680 Cal. And in a moment of insanity I added most of a "light" butter chicken frozen dinner for some real rice and extra sauce. :anguished:

In spite of removing the girl's 58g of rice, it still added another 300 Cal... so the whole thing is just over 1100 Cal -- but it doesn't LOOK huge!!!! :hushed::fearful:

Well.... we all know that my eye has an issue with things not LOOKING substantial enough when it comes to food! Let's see if I can nurse the pot along for a good part of the day!!!! :blush:
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Wow 1100 calories! That’s more than 3/4 of my daily calorie allotment.
    My “fat eye” is constantly disappointed at the meagerness of my meals. I try to keep adding things like fresh veggies/ big salads to bulk up the meal.

Recent dinner out. Guess which meal is mine! 9dlcl5sbbhmy.jpeg

• PAV8888
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Remember that this little pick up runs at over 2900 without down-shifting! :lol: Mind you, at over 3000 it looks like it is up-shifting a bit too much! :naughty::rage:

True appetite / need for food Yooly, does seem to scale. If I am comparatively less active i am actually NOT physically hungry enough to eat what would be "normal" for me. More often than not. However, as I am sure you've noticed, actual physical hunger is NOT the only reason why I eat!

Also, separately, restaurant portion sizes are also usually not scaled unless you hit the low cal or senior menus when available.

I went for breakfast with a friend of mine who is quite active but considerably older than myself in his mid 70s. He split his breakfast entree (hash) with his "girl". And they both assured me that this was their big meal for the day and that they were quite full! :astonished: Well... their cost per person sure was less than mine! :lol:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    That’s the thing- physical hunger vs. emotional/mental hunger. I rarely feel “full” unless I’ve overeaten. Lack of activity does not suppress my desire to eat.
    In the photo, my 75 year old husband ate all his big meal plus dessert. He definitely wouldn’t be splitting a meal with anyone. He is not anymore active than I am. Probably less so. He is 8 inches taller and male. Somehow it isn’t fair!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yes, but he has to haul around those 8 inches of maleness 🤠 which takes a lot of energy! 😜 And, on top of that, he has to spend extra energy to plot ways that he can escape from his house-boss... just like all of us helpless yet well managed males have to! 🙀🤔🤔🤔
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    We had bbq chicken breasts, peas and yellow rice with fiber one brownies for dessert….very good day!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Had some mini wontons with shrimp and mussels today. And side salad. I’m trying to stay mindful because it’s a gym day when I get the crazy hungries! Besides it’s cold which also makes me want to curl up and eat everything. So far 😊.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    COLD? !!!! Surprised a bit! Crazy hungries bad. But an extra banana or pear or apple may not be a terrible idea, especially if timed just right around the extra activity!

Survived yesterday's butter chicken by carefully nursing it along and getting three feedings out of it instead of just the one or two it was initially destined for! Probably no deficit in the end; but no overage either.

I have nuked today a couple of not best favorites... making room for points days coming up!!!! ROLFLOL!!!! The Arctic Gardens Asian Stir Fry Mix which ends up quite watery when not stir fried (DUH!!! 450g ~186 Cal) and a pouch of Swanson "four cheese" chicken (660 Cal for the pouch).

The amount of veggies they claim is "two servings" is pitiful, and even more pitiful that they are all you get out of 660 Cal. Would have been better with a different veg mix like carrots and green beans I think... but it is what it is!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Dinner was a ham steak, mexi corn, and boiled potatoes!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Well it’s cold for central Texas. Forties for a high temp and very windy. Had to break out the puffer coat today. And a light freeze tonight. So we’re into our one month of “winter”. It’ll be over by March.

I’m liking Connie’s dinner!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    ham, in general, is surprisingly good in terms of calories! Thawed a half bag of "dragon fruit blend" fruits for smoothies (yes, Yooly, it was on SALE with EXTRA POINTS!!!! :lol::wink: and I am trying to ID which one is the dragon fruit!!! :blush: After I gave up, I mixed in 500g of greek yogurt and stirred well till it is ALL RED! And I am munching along!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Dragon fruit has little black seeds inside and is red, white or yellow. Guess you got the red variety in your smoothie mix. 👍