What are you reading

Options

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,373 Member
    Options
    I'm rereading a Lyn Cote series. Can't remember the name. I'll come back later - I'm on my lunchbreak.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Kim - I ranked WHEN THE DAY COMES by Gabrielle Meyer (time travel) - #2 for the year last year! I thought it was phenomenal! I have IN THIS MOMENT by Gabrielle Meyer checked out from the library right now and it is my next library book.

I am currently reading THE SWINDLER'S DAUGHTER by Stephenia H McGee (historical). It is good, but I keep letting my mind wander while it is going. I have gone back twice to pick up a chapter that I totally blanked out on. When that happens, I usually blame the book, but I think this time it is me.

I am listening to ALMOST EVERYTHING by Mandi Blake (romance) hoopla. Her books are always lighter.

The main library that I get hoopla through cut our checkouts down to 15 a month. That is going to hurt my audiobook consumption unless I use Bill's library card too, or use another library that I only get 8 from. I always used the 20 previoulsy allowed. I can start using YouTube audiobooks during the day, but they don't have a sleep timer on them, so I don't want to use at night. Aarg. I guess I will use the 15 I have and then decide on the next steps. I think I have 4 borrows left for the month and if I only use at bedtime, that should work....maybe
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,347 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I don't read that many books per month any more! LOL!

I am reading about Lottie Moon, a missionary to China. Not the best one I've read so far, but that might be because I know the least about her of the one's I've read. When I was a part of the Friend's Church I heard about her.

I am also reading THE SECRET LIFE OF LADY EVANGELINE by Jan Davis Warren. It's about a woman who's SIL wants her dead and is super devious. When she is nearly killed by a fire she and several other women begin a Robin Hood-type group trying to help those in need.

I finished A BRIDE FOR BEAR which is a MOB by proxy story. A quick and good read. A bit more "steamy" than I like, but nothing explicit.

PRINCESS OF SHADOWS AND STARLIGHT is the fourth book in this oriental fantasy series. I go back and forth with it, struggling to get into it, but it hasn't been too bad so far.

I'm continuing and almost finished with Nicholas and Evie's story in Carol Moncado's series. I've struggled with this one, but things seem to be going better now!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I found an application that will work as a sleep timer for YouTube! I tried it out this afternoon and it worked very well. I have been going through Rose Fresquez audios. I checked some out on hoopla and then realized that she also has a YouTube channel. I have heard that authors actually make more on YouTube than most other outlets. I have been through one series (except one book that isn't there yet), and the first book in another series. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason on the series. She might have the 2nd and forth of a series, but not the others. The ones I have read are pretty stand-alone do not a big deal. If I find I am missing something, I will check out on KU.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I don't know if you saw it over on the free books thread, but Mindy Burbridge Strunk has a YouTube channel.

I'm still working on THE SECRET LIFE OF LADY EVANGELINE by Jan Davis Warren

I started RESCUING ROSE by Susan Pope Sloan, so far so good

Still working on PRINCESS OF SHADOWS AND STARLIGHT by Anastasis Blythe.

Also still listening to the Lottie Moon biography.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I am going through Hannah Jo Abbott's YouTube channel right now. She has several books included that I haven't read. I am still listening to a Mandi Blake book at bedtime and reading IN THIS MOMENT by Gabrielle Meyer (time travel). I am really enjoying the book, but got to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor and decided to go to something light for the day.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Wow, the 9/11 section was hard to read. I had to read the ending to see who she ended up with - I pick someone out I want her to be with and then am so disappointed when it doesn't happen that way - so glad my pick was right!

I'm, again, reading several book: LOTTIE MOON biography. Not as good as some of the others, but am enjoying it anyway.
    I finished the third book in the oriental fantasy and started the fourth - CAPTIVE OF TWILIGHT AND TREACHERY. So far so good.
    I started A BRIDE FOR WEST by Joi Copeland, the second by this author in the proxy MOB series. Just started so no real opinion yet.
    I tried to start WATCH OVER ME by Susan Warren, but again, everyone is angry with God or thinking God has deserted them. Sigh.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,373 Member
    Options
    Finished book 3 in the Lyn Cote series: Opposites Attract. That one was Two Hearts Denied. The first two sets Only Her Heart and The Heart Hopes.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I loved the Gabrielle Meyer book! I am looking forward to #3...in about a year, I think.

I have been listening to a LOT of YouTube books. After I found the timer application, it works well for bedtime. I can't download them onto my tablet for offline use because that is a paid subscription, but it doesn't matter at home. I downloaded hoopla and libby ebooks for travel this weekend.

I finished a couple of Elizabeth Maddrey's Arcadia Valley books on You Tube. I was looking for Idaho books and Valerie Comer mentioned that they were set in Idaho. I decided to do the YouTube ones first, and I will probably go back and get Valerie Comer's and some of the other authors on KU.

I am trying to get to the last few states on the second 2023 read-through of the states. Some states I have a huge list and there were 5 that I hadn't read yet. Now I have read 2 of those 5 and am working on #3. Hopefully by the end of the month I will have all of the states read at least twice for 2023. It has been kind of fun to keep track of most of my reads by state. Some I don't easily catch the state, and some are international (which I also started to track).

Currently I am reading A SHINING LIGHT by Judith Miller (Amana Colonies). This is my Iowa read. I have book that the library is ordering for me, from Iowa, too. I don't know why it was so hard to find Iowa books that the library has, or I hadn't already read. Someone reminded me of the Amana Colonies books and there were a couple that I hadn't read, and the library had one....it works.

I still have New Jersey and Vermont to finish up.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Oh my, I don't think I could do the States since I don't read much contemporary other than military or suspense. Now, if it were for make-believe places...

I'm almost finished with the fourth book in the Oriental fantasy. It's been very good. I don't like the references to ancestor worship, but at least the story is clean!

I'm a bit more than half-way through my proxy MOB, A BRIDE FOR WEST. It's also been very good. The female in the story has a stagecoach accident that gives her partial amnesia and changes her personality which has West trying to figure out just who he married!

Also still working on Lottie Moon's biography, almost done with that and will go on to Adoniram Judson next.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I am still working on Adoniram Judson's story.
    I'm reading: ELF KING by Tara Grayce. This is the final story in this series - :( But, she's talking about a spin-off series - :D
    ROMANCING THE ARTIST by Sally Britton, a Regency.
    ANOINTED by H R Hutzel. It's weird. It is a Christian fiction, but fiction is the key-word, not sure how things fit into true Christianity. Probably won't finish this one unless it changes quite a bit.
    SONG OF WINDS by Deborah Grace White, an East of the Sun, West of the Moon retelling.

I finished: TRUE PRINCESS by Kayla Eshbaugh, a princess and the pea re-telling. Very good.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I got into two books back-to-back with the same slang word over-used. It isn't really offensive to me if used once or twice, but I didn't like repeated use. One was a clean cozy, so not CF. The other was by Shelley Shepard Gray. I looked it up and it was not considered CF, but was listed as inspirational. I got into a book from another series of hers that had inappropriate language and I quit the series. I think her Amish books are the best bet by her.

I just finished a cute novella - DIAL Q FOR QUINCY'S HOPE by Lori Soard. It was about doxie named Quincy, and he caused some misunderstandings.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished ELF KING by Tara Grayce and started re-reading ELF PRINCE by her as well.

I'm working on a RONIE KENDIG sci-fi. I read book 1 quite awhile ago, relooked at it and remembered what it was about so started on book 2 DAWN OF VENGEANCE.

I'm also reading ROMANCING THE ARTIST by Sally Britton, a regency. It's a slow read and I'm struggling to stay into it.

I have several others that I've started but haven't gone back to.

• connierandel
    Options
    I have enjoyed the Sally Britton books that I have read, but they were set in Arizona.

I just finished MAZIE by Regina Felty. It was about an older lady that never gives up. She volunteers in the hospital pediatric cardiac unit, matchmakes, helps in the church and pretty much does whatever is needed. I loved the book. It was recommended and I found that I had picked it up free a few months ago.
  • connierandel
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Edited: I turned the book on this morning and almost immediately was offended by a scene. I skipped to the last chapter and epilogue. I had gone too far in the book to not at least find out how it ended. No more Carolyn Brown books for me, now that I know that one book in a series can be offensive, but another wasn't. Just not consistently "clean" anymore.

AARG - I used to read a lot of Carolyn Brown books. They were always clean and some came up through the library. I think it must have been on the Christian fiction listing, or I wouldn't have seen it. I read the first one and it was really good, but there was one word that was used often...not cursing, but one that makes me cringe. I decided to pick up books earlier in the series and checked out the two before that one. Book one has language I really do not appreciate. I am trying to finish it since I got further into it than I normally would because I was busy and couldn't change books. I fell asleep while listening last night...so I won't go back, and will just scan through the rest. I already turned book 2 back into the library.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I hate when that happens. I write reviews and I try to add a note of how much I appreciate the clean writing. I go to Christian fiction to escape the corruption in the world - I don't need realism to bring it back!

I'm reading RESCUING ROSE, a Civil War story about the women Mill Workers in Georgia who were moved North just before Sherman went through burning the South. Rose and one of the Northern officers become "friends" when he helps her out of a couple of spots and is kind to the women in her house - but she has an enemy in one of the guards and her friend isn't around right now. Oh my!

I finished ELF KING, so good. This is the very last book in the Fierce Heart fantasy series. I re-read book 1. This is my go-to comfort series.

I'm also listening to the biography of Clara Barton. I thought I would do that since she played such a big part in the last Gabrielle Meyer book, I wanted to know more about her. So far her religious background is Universalist, which I believe they believe there is a God but He pretty much has little to do with our individual lives. I finished the one I was listening to on William Wilberforce. That one was very good.

• connierandel
    Options
    I have been reading the Original Six series (hockey) by Carolyn Miller. These are definitely Christian fiction, but one has had some slang in it. I don't remember which one right now. I had book one, bought book 6 for 99cents, books 3-5 were in the library application. Book 2 was $4.99 and I don't usually ever buy books, even at under a dollar, so I will just have to miss that hockey team.

I have been listening to several B E Baker / Bridget E Baker books from the library. I don't know where I found them since they aren't Christian fiction, but they are basically clean. They don't necessarily have the same values that I do, but there is nothing objectionable except some light slang. That word has permeated too many of the books that I have read lately (even CF) ....not really a bad word, just crass.

I have a bunch of CF suspense checked out on KU and from the library, so I need to get back to them. This jaunt into "clean" fiction just isn't the same.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    It's amazing what people let come out of their mouths without a second thought!

I started JOHN NEWTON by the Benge's on Hoopla. So far it is very good. I quit the Clara Barton one, nothing Christian there. I also have a couple of fiction downloaded but haven't started them yet.

I started CLIFFHANGER by Susan Page Davis. Not far enough in to tell if it is going to be good, but I love the B & B by the sea theme!

AN AMIABLE FOE by Jennie Goutet, a Regency. Again, not far enough in to have a real opinion, but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

I finished THE KING'S CURSE by J F Rogers. I really enjoyed it.

• Laura_TX
    Laura_TX Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry I've been MIA. I am currently reading "The Body Keeps the Score" by Bessel van der Kolk. Not necessarily Christian but very eye-opening.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I'm still working on JOHN NEWTON by the Benges. Wow, what a life this man led.

Still working on some of the others I mentioned before! LOL!