Daily Chats and Encouragements

Options

Replies

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,384 Member
    Options
    Yeah medical tests can be ugly but well worth it to pinpoint where the trouble is.

I get blood work done every month - can only get it out of my right hand (not elbow) because of them working at putting in a fistuala. My poor hand looks like a pin cushion but it heals just enough during the month so that I can have it done again

I have really learned alot because of kidney failure - how important it is to eat properly. When I started this kidney journey I found the new way of eating hard - no processed food (bacon, any deli food) no salt, keeping animal protein down to a very small amount getting most of the protein from vegetables and keeping carbs (bread, rice, pasta) on the low side.

These changes have really help with my weight lost in the last month and generallly am feeling so much better. Also these changes are helping to keep my blood pressure where it should be - also my diabetes check in is better now with no meds then with meds - just changing up to healthier eating has really helped.

Big thing is the cost of the food - when you are on a tight budget it gets creative on what to buy that is healthy. For example fruit - I need to eat 3 - 4 a day (not canned due to syrup) and fresh is nice when in season but very expensive where I live. So what we have discovered now is that each month we buy a certain amount of fresh and we make sure we eat it as wasting it is to costly. And then with the fruit we buy bags of frozen fruit (blueberries, rasphberries, strawberries and so on) which we use a lot of on our oatmeal in the morning. Also good in smoothies but dont make many of those now as they don't fill me up and actually eating the fruit takes longer then drinking it.

Learned smothing new from kidney doctor. We were talking about diaylis and being active. She said that once I am on diaylis it would be 3x a week for 4 hours each time. And everytime you stay that long sitting or sleeping it will take about 5 - 6 days to restore muscles to help you move. So she said even though I have mobility issues to get up and move some every hour - even if it is with standing by a chair holding it and walking in place for as long I can. She said the more inactive (sitting all day) the less strengh there will be and eventually I won't be pushing my walker but using a wheelchair. So that was an eye opener - so as of today every hour I will be up and walking the house for as along as I can (until it starts getting uncomfortable) then I will sit. She said that doing this every hour will be difficlt at first but within a month I will be able to stand longer even if I start with just 5 minutes at a time. So that is my goal.

My sweet husband is now doing the vaccuming for me - isn't he sweet - as the pressure on my back to push the vaccum for the entire house hurts to much.

Well time to stand up move my arms around and move my legs up and down for at least 5 minutes - looking forward to getting to sit down already - but going to do this as I want to stay as health as possible.

Praying for all of you
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My husband does most of the stuff around the house. It is such a blessing to have them to help with the chores for us. You are an inspiration, Marilyn. Keep up the good work.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Happy Friday, ladies. I hope that you are doing well. I'm doing pretty good. I did have a headache this morning, but that was my fault. I took one pill yesterday morning and meant to take one last night, hoping to change those pills from AM to PM since they make me sleepy for about an hour or so. I didn't take the one last night! Duh! I had the headache this morning so immediately took the full dosage of that pill and will just keep taking them in the AM, the headache went away quickly! Praise the Lord.

I'm going to need to make my healthy muffins since I am wanting to stop getting the Aussie Bites that I have been buying for breakfast. It will be a monetary savings and every little bit will help! I have been meaning to try and use my vanilla protein powder in my coffee rather than buying the coffee flavored protein drink I have for breakfast as well, but I keep forgetting. I took that off of my subscribe and save for April, so I am going to have to use the protein powder or just drink coffee and have a muffin! That would take out some calories too! That is a huge savings for me and will be very helpful.

Well, y'all have an awesome day. Love you
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Those changes you are making will surely help.

Am having a good day though it is only noon. Norm and Priscilla are going to go shopping for a few groceries to get us through the next week. She loves going with her dad.

We have a dear friend (81 years old) who was admitted to the hospital a few weeks ago - brain cancer and it is terminal. So said to see this wonderful man in this condition. His name is Norm and we would appreciate prayers for him. He is a strong believer just needs peace to get through the next few weeks - and so with his family.

Take are / walk with the Lord competely today
  • bren5535
    bren5535 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies....
    Here we are at another weekend and I love them. I worked weekends for almost 23 years so even tho I am now retired...they feel special. Actually, each day I get feels special as it's God's gift!

That is so sad, Marilyn....my heart hurts for us "older folks" and we are not immune to such things. I pray for comfort and peace for Norm...and for all of you who love him. Letting go of what lies here with us and taking that step into God's presence will be joy for him, tho the ones left behind will sorrow deeply. God understands all of that. I think the sorrow of leaving here and our loved ones is as strong as any fear we might have. God bless all of you in the days ahead.

Kim, that's good news on Wade's biopsy. Continued prayers for you both....for you, Missy, Connie and all represented by each of you. Love you lots and am so thankful my path in life has crossed with yours in some way. Be blessed.

hk7an2bg7a6l.jpg
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Wow, Bren. Love that verse. Keep moving forward, despite what is in our way!

Marilyn, praying for Norm, that he would feel the Lord with him and find comfort!

Keep up the good work, ladies!
  • bren5535
    Options
    I love it too Kim! Some days our run in a feeble hobble but in Christ, we carry on for He is our stength and keeps us safe in the journey.

I have been having "Mama" dreams often of late.... and woke up this morning with a bit of a poem in my head....
    Run on home, Mama...
    but wait for me there.
    In God's loving arms and eternal care.
    I have yet, a few things to do.....
    but know before long, I'll be seeing you.

I got my table cleared at last and the dishwasher dealt with (love it) a third of the vacuuming done yesterday and got my order from Wal-Mart tucked away. yay...they had my ice yesterday, Ice for my water is my vice...and oh...ice cream. oops. I needed the table accessible to do my veggie/prep work...I should eat there too but that's still a foreign and uncomfy concept to me.

I was up/alert for 12 plus hours yesterday...rested well in spite of the back pain...am up again at 3 AM....to do things...again. I want to finish the cluttered kitchen area, sort the fridge, finish vacuuming and get the trash out at least.
    Wishing you all a blessed day at your spots on the map. Love and prayers...

u1wcsr0bdh8c.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Praying for you ladies as we approach going to church. Love Sundays when we can gather with other believers to join in signing / praising the Lord, and hear a good message. For all of Lent we have taken communion each week - we normally do it once a month - but it has been nice taking it everytime we gather to worship.

Today after church I am going to go for a short walk outside - walk around the home in my area.

It is now 8:25 am, need to have breakfast, get dressed so that we can leave the house by 10:30 to go to church.

Have a great day in the Lord ladies - remember we should be putting Him first every morning = and when we do the day is so much better

• Restfinder
    Options
    Oh Bren, what a lovely poem! It would make the beginning of a good song! I'll be working on a song I wrote (back in the 80's or 90's) to sing next Sunday. It's based on Rom 5 and called BY JUST ONE MAN - one man brought sin into the world and one man brought redemption from that sin! And what is amazing to me is that before God even created man, He knew what he would do and yet He created him and planned for His Son to be that redemption!

We will be having dinner after our morning service next Sunday. We have dinner together once a month on the first Wednesday evening of the month, but will share our Resurrection meal together. We don't celebrate Easter but we do celebrate the Resurrection. Here's a blog that my Pastor put on his site quite a few years ago that explains a wee bit of why we don't celebrate Easter.

04/07/12 TIME TO RETURN TO TRUTH
    Replacing the pure Lamb of God (Who takes away the sin of the world) with the unclean rabbit (unfit for sacrifice) is not an accident. In the Old Testament, God commanded that the lamb be a sacrifice for sin (foreshadowing Christ) and He designated the rabbit as an unclean and therefore non-sacrificial animal.

Ask anyone today (adult or child) what animal symbolizes "Easter" and see what you get. It is time to turn from Easter to Resurrection terminology and imagery.

A Little Background...
    I remember, as a child, a lamb was a popular symbol during resurrection season (cards and cakes). As time went by people began to give ducklings and chicks as "Easter" gifts to children (strange pets to give city children).

Eventually the focus shifted almost exclusively from the Resurrection message to the pagan-oriented symbols found in various religions and cultures: Ishtar, the Assyrian pagan/prostitute goddess (consort/sister/mother of Tammuz, a Satanic counterfeit for Christ); or the European goddess of fertility and renewal, Eostre/Ostara with the trappings of rabbits and eggs.

Too bad the Biblical account of the virgin born Son of God, dying for the sins of the world, rising from the dead, ascending to heaven and interceding for us is not glorious enough.

Too bad so-called Christians are confusing children.

Too bad the non-Christian community sees this more clearly than those who claim the name of Christ.

Love y'all. Have a very happy and blessed week as we prepare a special time to celebrate Jesus' Resurrection (since we celebrate it year round by living for Him!)
  • bren5535
    edited March 25
    Options
    Thank you! I agree! I can "see" you sing your song....wow. That message is timeless too. It makes me ill at the number of churches that put on the egg hunts and parties for kids and they never learn what the Resurrection's about and why we celebrate! I hope you have a wonderful service and dinner after...and enjoy the sweet fellowship of your church group.

I got up at midnight to a flooded bathroom again for about the 15th time....plumbers have been here all day as there are many apartments having trouble. I do hope they finish by 5:00 so I can have access to it tonight.
    I have my porta potty thing in the closet....but it's too high and isn't comfy at all! But not everyone has that advantage even ...so I am thankful I do. I'd have to go to a motel otherwise!
    I got a couple of new toys to play with. Mini egg steamer thing (can be used for veggies too) and a mini deep fryer! I rarely fry things but do love fish, chicken livers and an occasional piece of chicken so look forward to playing with it. I have catfish nuggets in the freezer and got some chicken livers today. A lady on my cooking group posted bacon wrapped chicken livers...does hers on the smoker...looks delicious! Yummy, fat laden tidbits!

uwn2sc3yx5mw.png

xtvpudsnhzdd.png

7uxy68y83pi9.png

• Restfinder
    Options
    Oh my. Anything wrapped in bacon has to be good! I'm determined to say No this week to treats, and so far I have. I did some walking around the house yesterday and will do some more today! You are in my thoughts and prayers. If you get a chance, please see the new post and greet Rita!

yrdnqd0nlq2m.jpg
  • kzrkzr
    kzrkzr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I did a 48 hour water fast. I had a snack of some cabbage I cooked after that...and now back to fasting 48 more hours! I am determined to get healthy. I have also been walking at my beautiful trail. I've got to do this!! I have a grandbaby coming!!! I'm so excited.
    My daughter is doing a gender reveal party next weekend. I'm the only one that knows the sex right now. I got a head start on the shopping lol
    hugs and prayers
  • Restfinder
    edited March 27
    Options
    Yeah, Grandma, or Mamaw, or Oma, or Nana! Are you supplementing your nutrients during your fast? I hope that you find success, Missy. You've been fighting for such a long time! Love and prayers.

Walked a bit around the house yesterday, until my leg and back said, "No more!" I'm enjoying my muffins for breakfast. I did a nutrition check on them and they were loaded with sodium. When I removed the baking soda and powder it went down by half. Something just doesn't seem right. I couldn't figure out how to download a recipe here so I looked one up on-line - not sure how good it was. Anyway - here is my recipe:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tin, this will make 18 muffins.
    1 C flour (I used coconut which takes away some of the moisture)
    1 C quick oats
    3 scoops protein powder (I used Kos pea protein)
    [because they don't rise anyway I'll leave out the baking soda and powder]
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp your favorite spice [I've used cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice which I couldn't taste, but I could taste cardamom when I used that.]
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper [adds just a pinch of heat, and helps with metabolism]
    Blend all the dry ingredients well.
    1 C milk [could be coconut, almond, oat]
    1/3 C MCT oil (or flavorless oil)
    1/2 C applesauce (or a pureed vegetable like squash or zucchini)
    2 lg eggs
    1/2 C honey
    Blend these ingredients well and mix slowly into the dry ingredients. Mixture will be a bit thick, but you can add more milk if it seems too thick! Fill muffin cups or tin 3/4 full. You should get 18 muffins. Bake for 20 minutes and check for doneness, add five minutes if needed. Remove from tin and let cook before removing from papers or silicone cups.
    Nutritional info: Calories: 139 each; Fat - 5.1g (sat fat 4); Cholesterol - 35mg; Sodium - 1112mg;
    Carbs - 10.1; Fiber - 1.3; Sugar - 3.8; Protein - 13.1

Love y'all.
  • bren5535
    Options
    That's awesome Missy...and every beautiful trail picture I see, brings you and yours to mind! Time is moving right along and the grandbaby will be making his/her arrival before you know it. Kudos on advance shopping too!

Kim...I may be about the laziest...no wait...I am mobility and motivationally challenged...not lazy...LOL cook I know. I will do my microwave omelets with veggies, my hobo packets in the toaster oven, my kale and collards, occasional soup...and salads but nada to anything that requires much effort or time on my feet. I'm glad you enjoy your muffins tho!

Yesterday, I did up another lovely salad and topped with a jalapeno tuna pouch. Oh my goodness! That was delicious...with Catalina dressing. I have ground pork to play with today and am thinking about some jalapeno poppers...or cheeseburger salad for dinner.
    Oh...I am gifting my new toys to a neighbor...with some other things I'm collecting. I decided I won't use them....too dinky and I don't fry things much and how hard is boiling eggs or steaming veggies? LOL...If I see it as "gifting"...I don't feel so guilty about my impulse purchase and hey...they didn't cost much either.

bqty7291yaoi.png
    50vr25ngtpda.jpg
    bdkkpnzd98rt.jpg

• Restfinder
    Options
    That's a verse I cling to, Bren. Boy, I know what you are talking about having to stand for a bit to cook. Wade has to help me if I want to make something, and I lend a hand when he wants to, I couldn't do it without his help. I got everything out and he got the dry together and I got the wet and then he mixed and filled the cups. They don't look pretty, but they are tasty! If I sent you one it would be crumbs before it reached you - and dry as dirt! Ick!

Good looking salad! Not sure about those red balls all over it, but I'm sure they are tasty to you! I'd eat anything else you have there. If that meat is that hot tuna - well, plain tuna I would do, but not the hot stuff! I like just that little touch of heat in my muffins - we will be whimpy together, even if it's not over the same things! LOL!

Love ya
  • bren5535
    Options
    Oh me too, Kim! That's one of the images that make me think of Missy and her beautiful trail....I had one when I lived in Irving too, at Macarthur Park. It was wonderful.

LOL...you and Sharon on the red balls! She would pick hers out of a salad and give them to me! The tuna is very good. Not too "hot" at all....I got several packs of assorted tuna, some plain, a couple of tuna salad, some Ranch and spicy Thai and a couple of salmon as well.....yums. I like it on my salads or with a veggie and cracker plate. Oh yes on the wimpy!

It's such a blessing to have a godly helpmate and to be one as you two are. I had two that weren't, tho David was way more of one than Jimmy. David would do some chores, rather grudgingly but he would shop and cook every other week and that worked great for us both except he didn't do his dishes regularly. He could stack them high when he did do them, like my Mama, he'd say. He was a wonderful cook. We did that our entire time together. I loved him madly.
    Jesus is my helper here, always.... and the past three days the pain has increased so I am very thankful for any tasks I do get done. It's slow going for sure.

I can "see" powdery puffs in a mailed muffin. It's the thought that counts ya know. Have a good evening at your spot...Love and prayers for all of us here.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Yeah, I take my muffin out of it's container in the fridge and parts of it fall off! Eek, you are right about powdery puff in an envelope! I'm so glad that David found the Lord before he passed! I'm glad you were able to renew a friendship with him. How is your son doing?

We are having quite a bit of rain today and some thunder as well, but it has warmed up a bit to the low 60's.

Wade and I like to make a tuna casserole now and again, but it's not a healthy kind, it has cheese and cream soup in it! I like my tuna with lots of mayo in it! Tuna is one of those things that I keep getting reminded of a few hours after I eat it - ick!

Have an awesome day, y'all.
  • kzrkzr
    kzrkzr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Day 4 Fasting
    Day1-3 lost 6 pounds :)
    It has been a long battle but with the Lord's help I am going to win this time!!!!!
  • bren5535
    Options
    Yes, Kim! That to me was the most important, knowing his heart was right with God and I was very glad to make amends with David before he passed away. He and Laura came for Mom's funeral in 2013...and he was dxed with lung cancer not long after. When he called me, years after I had moved back here, to apologize and ask my forgiveness for throwing me under the bus (his words)...I was so happy to say I had, long before. I had prayed for him over the years and God always knew right where he was.

My son: is doing much better since his last transfer to the prison in Brent. I got a letter recently and he had heard from his oldest step son and was so very thankful to have news of all the kids. His daughter has been accepted to U of A, one step son is in the marines and a step daughter is in marine boot camp, his son is doing great. He was praising God for His care and provision and so joyous at all the news from Chase, who is working in construction and engaged to be married. It means so much to him that Chase still calls him Dad....He's filled that roll since Chase was two.

Tuna: I'm so glad I don't have an issue with it! I like the little cans of mackerel too...yummy and quick protein, no cooking involved.

Woo hoo, Missy. That's a good report! I found what you lost, I fear.

Have a good evening ladies....as we head into a new day and a new month coming up. Be gentle and loving with yourselves. Marilyn and Connie...continued prayers for you and yours....Love you all.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Connie's BIL, Kip, who had lived with them for 20 years and helped with Bill when he became sick with Alzheimer's, has gone to live with his son. I'm not sure how he is doing but when she brought him to the ER they weren't sure he'd make it through the night. She is now caring for Bill and her Mom who is in a facility about 5 minutes from where they live. Getting on MFP right now is not a priority! I'm concerned but understand. Keep her and Bill in your prayers!

Missy, awesome! Make sure you are getting the vitamins and minerals you need even though it can't be through food right now!

Bren, praise the Lord. I'm so glad that he has had good news and is doing well. We'll keep praying that he grows in grace and knowledge and wisdom!

I'm staying the same weight, but then I'm not trying hard to lose right now. I am eating healthy, but just not able to get much exercise in with this gimpy leg. I'll work on getting more steps today though. I know that when I've been sitting, getting up is painful, but the more I walk the better I feel - up to a certain point where it becomes painful again and I need to sit! LOL! A beautiful circle.

Hope you are doing well, Marilyn.

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.