Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It's a little rainy this morning in Maui, so I'm catching up here at mfp.

The vacay is awesome...lots of swimming and snorkeling and NO organized exercise - which was my goal! Just good family times. And, diet-wise, while I am having fish and greens everyday....I'm also drinking (which I normally don't do), eating ice cream (also not normal) and snacking on bad/yummy food. It's fun! And, I'll deal with the ramifications upon my return to real life, soon enough!

I'm nervous about how much srength I've lost and how far DOWN in weight I'll have to go when I hit the gym on Monday....but, logically, I'll gain it all back, over time. So, I'm okay.

Sounds amazing- have fun & worry about everything else later! I am sure you won't have lost any strength over such a short time, the break will have done you good!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    So good to hear from you, Beeps! Sounds like your vacationing just right, to me! Enjoy!
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Beeps?? Just read about flooding and waterspouts in Hawaii...are you in the danger zone? Post to let us know you're ok, please!
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am a NROL4W Newbie! I just completed my first workout last night, and I am loving the soreness today, let me tell ya!

I am a runner and have never really done much strength training (I flirted with P90x three years ago and got great results, but was eating too much on the program to lose body fat effectively). I had been training for my first marathon (huzzuh!) this year, but on January 24th, after a long run, I ended up with a herniated disc in my lower back (near my tailbone). Totally sucked. I couldn't walk for two weeks. I am now in Physical Therapy and am not able to run more than half a mile or so at a time, so I thought that maybe I should get back to strength training (and not waste my gym membership!). I am so excited to get through NROL4W - it's a challenge to replace my broken marathon dreams!

Anyway, I have a few concerns - primarily, I fear eating too much. I have my macros set to 40/30/30 and holy is it hard to get that much protein! Protein shakes all around! I am shooting for netting 1400 calories a day, since I don't want to eat TOO much, but I am trying to hit my macro goals even if that means going over my net calories. Did anyone else have this fear when they were starting out? I realize this is a lower number than the book recommends, though the book mentions intake calories but not net calories, I believe. I think as I become more mobile and will be able to do HIIT and other cardio, I would feel more comfortable raising that number.

This week I was cleared to do elliptical training, so I can do that for about 20 minutes on low resistance, but that's it. The only lifting exercise that seems to aggravate my back so far is the step-ups on my left foot, so I am feeling pretty good about my ability to lift with the disc injury. Mostly just excited to have new goals, and hopefully some new MFP friends to go with it! YAYAYAY!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi Autumn, welcome!!

Firstly, glad you're joining us.

Def eat all the calories the book says, if you eat less than that you will be wasting all the effort you put into lifting, because you will not be able to build the muscle. The calculations seem pretty accurate, some people here are doing the -300 if they are still losing, but don't go less than that, and make sure you eat your exercise cals. We've all found we are starving all the time after a couple of weeks, but we're using what we eat!! It's such a metabolism booster.

I guess you've checked with your doc about this? Form is really important for squats and deadlifts to avoid back injury even in non-injured people, so be reallllllllly careful. I hope you can, because i bet it'll really help you.

Let us know how it goes!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Just to second what Jen said, I think you will need more calories than that. I'm small (5' 4", 114lbs) and I'm easily getting through 2000 calories + a day without gaining at all. If you eat significantly below your maintenance level, you might actually end up losing muscle, which defeats the object really. You may find it impossible to eat that low anyway - wait until the overpowering hunger sets in!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!

I've been woefully neglecting my group threads. :(

I was one struggling with the eating part, mostly because I thought I WAS already eating at that level. I wasn't tracking, trying to go by instinct and roughly estimating the calories I was eating. I WAS STARVING after I started this program. So I started tracking diligently again and found that I had been overestimating how much I thought I was eating. I've been feeling much more in control this past week with eating more and hopefully I will like the measurements after phase 2. So, per my limited experience, yes, go by the calculations in the book. At least for a while and see how things go. The book even says start with that and then tweak as needed.

I'm so looking forward to spring break next week. Not that I have any plans, it's just always felt like a holiday to me, even since I've been out of school. We're supposed to have some beautiful weather here, I'm SO ready to pack away the sweaters and boots for good.
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Me too on the neglect....I have been trying to keep up with you all! You are one busy group.....and I am learning so much from just reading, but I will try to interact more.

Beeps, how is the relaxing today? It sounds like a much needed vacation!!!

I find it interesting at how many are undereating to begin with...I wish that was my problem! I am just getting back into the groove of tracking my food as well...trying to eat at maintaince for the month of March, then go back to my slight cal deficiet. Sarah, I wish I would have bumped it up in the beginning, so that I would have had the increase on the scale coincide with the start, rather than feel so hungry and struggle for the last 2 months with binging. It frustrates me that I have not been disciplined with the eating, and therefore not reaping the rewards of leanness!!

The book has a great approach with the macros and is solid advice. I am going to give it my all for the next 4 stages and finish strong. Then get preggo, continue to lift then and once baby 3 is here, repeat the program. I plan on being here for the long term!!!!! Here is to a great rest of the week and a wonderful weekend ahead!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    All is well here....although it is another rainy morning. I'm in Maui - no terrible storms,, here! But, it certainly is cutting into our snorkeling and swimming time. Oh well, we depart on Saturday and my heart will be heavy since it'll be awhile until next vacation.
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, all! I agree that not eating enough could be detrimental to all the hard work I will put in, so I will revamp my numbers and see what I can come up with.

As far as the injury goes, my Physical Therapist has pretty much cleared me to do anything until/unless it hurts, which seems to have more to do with switching my weight between my feet than anything else (which is why step-ups are a problem). Squats, on the other hand, feel totally fine. Strange, right? Anyway, I am really playing it safe, I promise. Last thing I want is to make this injury worse or end up back where I started. It Is a blessing in disguise though, since now I get the chance to do all this great strength training that I wasn't doing before!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Glad you are safe, Beeps!

Oceanity, I had a hard pregnancy with #3. With #4, I did strength training throughout and what a difference it made! Good for you for planning to stick with it!

I'm still trying to find the "sweet spot" with my calories, and I also struggle with protein. I'm not excited about shakes unless they have a lot of fruit (which ups the sugar and carbs), and I can't do red meat, milk or soy! Ah, well. Over the last 5 weeks I have been losing an average of 1 lb per week which is right on track, so I think I'm headed in the right direction even if I lose nothing one week and two pounds the next. And these workouts are killing me -- but in a good way! Ah, my hamstrings are so sore!!!

I'm finding out I get really tired in the afternoon if I work out in the morning, so I think I will go back to after-dinner workouts. Of course, I come home hungry. Any suggestions for post-workout snack that won't make me feel gross and heavy when I go to bed soon after? I was thinking maybe hard boiled eggs or celery and hummus???

Edited to add: I had a great NSV this week! No change on the scale or measurements this week yet, but I was able to fit into a pair of pants that I bought too small! So, something changed, tightened, strengthened, whatever! Woohoo!
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Barefoot.....that is one wicked NSV!!!!! Totally love that even when "nothing" changes, your body is busy at work! And the hummus and veggie post workout snack is a great idea. :happy:

Beeps..glad to hear that you are safe and sound.....enjoy the moments!

And Autumn, it is awesome that you are going with the NROLFW and enjoying trying something new.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    This is such a positive group! I love how we're all enjoying this workout so much.

I'm supposed to do stage 2B tonight, but got the dreaded day 2 soreness, so will postpone to tomorrow!

Last day of work today, on Monday we fly to Austria (well Germany, then a quick transfer!) for a week of skiiiiiing, can't wait!! Hope we don't break any bones, neither hubby or I are any good, so fingers crossed, and we have travel insurance :wink: I'm not too worried about not logging for a week, and eating/drinking too much, I usually manage to do that on a diving holiday and not gain fat, I think it's the shock of not being sedentary for a week.
    So Beeps, we are doing a swap, you come back to the real world, and I'll get out of here! Sorry hon, that's gotta be depressing. Plan the next one, even if it's not for ages!
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    OK, an observation. I was looking at the stronglifts website, out of interest, and it struck me (from the men's testimonials) the big difference between men and women lifters:

Most of us women measure our success by the reading on the scale, shape, measurements, body fat percentage etc, as well as the numbers we're lifting.
    Men: just how much they can lift! The improvements in appearance/ health/size etc seem an afterthought.

I guess it's true what they say, if we focus on strength, the rest will follow!

And that's it for my brain today, it's Friday and I'm off home :drinker:
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! Just did my 4th workout of stage 1. Being very careful not to re-injure my knee! I am loving this so far!!

Question- With the Jackknives and swiss ball crunches. I feel like 8 reps are way too easy. Am I missing something here? Today I did 2 sets of 50 jackknives with a 20lb weight. It was still too easy. What am I not getting??
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Do the pike instead.

Out of curiosity, how are you doing jackknives with weight?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    OK, an observation. I was looking at the stronglifts website, out of interest, and it struck me (from the men's testimonials) the big difference between men and women lifters:

Most of us women measure our success by the reading on the scale, shape, measurements, body fat percentage etc, as well as the numbers we're lifting.
    Men: just how much they can lift! The improvements in appearance/ health/size etc seem an afterthought.

I guess it's true what they say, if we focus on strength, the rest will follow!

And that's it for my brain today, it's Friday and I'm off home :drinker:

That's one of the reasons the "meet Staci" from Nerdfitness link has been so popular, she looks amazing and her only worry any more is how much more can she lift. I know I'm spending too much time overthinking the other details, it's a hard habit to break.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Gosh you've all been busy chatting.

I'm taking a break from logging my food at the moment and just going with moderation and trying to eat when hungry. Old ED habits creeping back in and need to take the pressure off for a mo. Also stepping off the scales for now and just going with how my clothes feel.

Jen have a fantastic holiday. I was rubbish at skieing too, but it didn't stop my body acheing nicely every evening. Certainly worked up an appetite thats for sure.

Beeps glad you're safe, and look forward to having you back on here.

Hi to everyone else :drinker:
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Do the pike instead.

Out of curiosity, how are you doing jackknives with weight?

oops, I meant swiss ball crunch :)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Try the crunches on SB with your hands straight up and hold a weight. If the jackknives are too easy try the pikes.
    Here is a video of the two and one bonus one-stir the pot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTvVF0CUgxg&list=UU89OQbbNDNP0RqWTngfZeTA&index=1&feature=plcp