Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Jessica & Jarrettd - laughing at myself is my main source of amusement. Sometimes it's either laugh or cry, lol.

JenT - 4 boys?! Wow. Two of my three are boys and.... let's just say I really appreciate my little girl. The boys certainly make life interesting.

Beeps - May, June? Do you have a deadline you're working towards?

Amanda - Welcome! I tend to be the hungriest mid afternoon, and would rather sleep than eat at night. My husband will lose track of time and skip lunch, but then go through a whole carton of Ben & Jerry's at midnight. We think he may have some reverse cortisol issues, where he's struggling to wake up in the mornings but hyped up at night. Managing stress helps. This may be way overblown for what you are experiencing, but just thought I'd mention it.

Skipping some of Stage 1 - yes. If you are comfortable with strength training, then there's no reason to stay in Stage 1 so long. I think I did all of it, but actually took longer than it should have because I was bored and de-motivated to do the same thing over and over.

So - my first Stage 3.B. It didn't seem as strenuous as some of the others. I even did the HIIT at the end. The YTWL's burned, but the rest went quickly. I really cut the rest periods down because my heart rate wasn't getting up very high. Looking forward to my run today. Sunday is an off day, and I'm not sore, so I can push it.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

ETA: Jen - I love the jackknifes too! Hope your hangover gets better. :smile:
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread, but am so guiltly for not posting! I absolutely love the fact that there is so much support for the program here. I would have never got comfortable with heavy lifting if it was not for NROLFW! And even though I decided to restart the program instead of progressing to Stage 4, I feel good about things.

Jen....I am seriously thinking of adding a third boy to the mix!!! Lol, my hubby and I both realize that the likelyhood after 2 boys is a third, so this fall that will be on the adgenda.

Birdyblue...is your DD your third? What is the age range???? On the topic Stage 3, I felt it was less challenging in some ways than I figured, but the body matrix was nice and tough!!

Beeps.....I hope that April and May are great months!!!!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Catching up with you all after most of the week away. I have been easy going with my caloric intake and the scale shows it! :noway: The body not as much, I guess that is the benefit of this NROL program :happy: Another benefit; out- walked/jogged my Sister-in-law on her regular walking program I impressed myself since cardio and running have not been my focus!

I am thinking to try to keep a little closer to maintenance calories and maybe even a slight deficit for the remainder of Stage 1 stating with day 6 on Mon. or Tues. I hope to drop a couple of the extra lbs. and more importantly firm up the "jelly-roll-belly-roll"

:flowerforyou: Love everyone's ideas for Miss Maggie's dilemma, you will be enjoying that guest room so much more now!

Those prone jack-knifes certainly feel like they are doing something!!

Feeling my muscles today and hope to walk it out on a nice long stroll today.

:flowerforyou: Hope you all are enjoying your weekend!
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I'm new here and just jumping in. I just started the program. Did my second workout today. I'm a mom to 5 kids and have always been active but never lifted and am feeling like I am fumbling around a bit with how much weight to lift. I teach cardio classes and do martial arts so I am not sure how I am going to work it all in. I am trying to reserve MWF just for my lifting though.

I have to say that you all are such an inspiration and I am excited to mine all of your collective knowledge as a fumble my way through this. Thanks in advance :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh, yeah! I'm hearing ya! I did a face-plant off the ball with hubs watching. Had to shampoo coffee out of the carpet.

It's a good thing laughter is good for the abs, too!
    [/quote]
    I know that feeling. I rolled off last night for the first time. Go figure I wait until the last go around to fall off. I pushed it too far and rolled forward. I think that's how I ended up hurting myself.:blushing:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've been eating like a bottomless pit this past week, tired like crazy, and eating like crap. ( I assume the crap food is contributing to the crap feeling). I'm just eating whatever's in front of me because it's available. I need healthier but easy snacks.
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was able to get a copy of the book at the used book store for $12 today -- I don't have to pay shipping and wait for Amazon after all! I think I'm going to start with the first workout on Monday. Anyone else planning to start this week?
  • jbrown78
    jbrown78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Jen and I just finished reading the book and plan to start stage one on Monday (walking a 5k tomorrow) any words of advise for a newbie? I am so pumped to start this and hope to see some awesome results!

Feel free to add me.
    33 yrs old
    5'1"
    159 lbs
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Jen and I just finished reading the book and plan to start stage one on Monday (walking a 5k tomorrow) any words of advise for a newbie? I am so pumped to start this and hope to see some awesome results!

Welcome!
    There are lots of us Jens on here.
    Have a browse through the other threads in this group for any tips, especially read the first stage 1 thread, chances are any problems/questions are covered there!

I was a bit down when i looked in the mirror this morning, although I'm over 2 months into this, and I can FEEL the new muscle, I still think i look the same in the mirror. Might be time to take some pics and do a comparison. I miss the big moves from stage one and the big strength gains we can do there. Glad stage 2 is nearly done!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new members! :flowerforyou:

@ donnavj - dont worry about fumbling through... After your first couple of workouts you will feel right at home with lifting heavy.

Just to add, Im halfway through Stage 3 and I STILL fall off the swiss ball sometimes! Mostly while I'm trying to get off the darn thing... I must say Im less embarrassed now when I do though - I just try to make it look like I meant to do it :laugh:

Thanks for the input about the maintenance calories - I definitely have a sedentary job (sitting on my butt most of the day in front of my computer) so I will just ignore the "strenuous" suggestions. I must say, I am only a few days into eating maintenance but I already love it! Makes it a lot easier to stay within my calorie range on the weekends!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @oceanity - YES! DD is the baby - she's 3 1/2 years old. And she has to be the sweetest thing ever. The boys are 7 & 5, the oldest is ADD and we spend a lot of time taking deep breaths (both of us!).

@samantha - I have found that having good food choices readily available to eat is THE most important factor with sticking to my diet. The second is keeping "trouble" foods out of the house. (Otherwise I end up ODing on cookies... see below.)

Despite falling off the swiss ball - it's definitely a great thing. Sometimes I'll use it instead of the bench for a bench press or triceps press (I'm working with dumbbells). It adds some additional core/stabilizing work to the move.

So I went camping this weekend with the family. Of course the food is 80% crap that passes for "treats for a special occasion". Which is a whole other frustrating rant that I won't get into. I did really well avoiding it until the last afternoon, and then I ate pretty close to a whole sleeve of chocolate chip cookies within a couple of hours. Ugh. But I felt like utter dog poo, reminded myself, "oh yeah, that's why you don't need to eat this stuff", and I'm ready to hit this week hard. Besides, the cookies are gone so no more temptation there!

It's been a month for me on MFP, and I've only lost 2 pounds. I had lofty visions of at least a pound a week - maybe even 3!! LOL But at least I'm not still gaining. And I keep telling myself that it's not like I get to stop being mindful of my diet and exercise even when I reach my goal. Most of the people I see on here who have made a big difference in their body composition have been doing this for a year or more.

Hope everyone has a great Monday. It's back to 3.A and the body matrix for me today!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,958 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to post about my weekend debacle....let's just say that Monday affords ALL a "new start" and I'm glad to have it!

I finish up Stage 3 this week and I move onto Stage 4 next Monday.

Oh, and just as a "wow" moment...when I posted all my stats/measurements/photos to my challenges on Saturday, I *did* peek at my photos (which I NEVER do, because they just make me cry....) and SOMETHING SHOWED UP. That's right, gf's, something showed up in the PICS that did NOT show up on the scale, or on any tape measurement. But, there is DEFINITE improvement in my bum/saddlebag region. Now, I am HYPERCRITICAL about this area (it's the area of my body I MOST want fixed and, as can be expected, it is the HARDEST area to satisfy!)....so, I pulled my husband over to take a look at the photos and he said, "I TOLD you there was a noticeable difference in that area...."

So, there you have it! March wasn't good for scale and it wasn't good for tape measurements....but it WAS good for photos. And, for me, that means chalking it up to the body matrix. All of those squats and lunges and jumps are tightening up ONE area of my body.

Yep - April, May and June are going to be my GLORY MONTHS - you just wait and see!!!!!

:smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to post about my weekend debacle....let's just say that Monday affords ALL a "new start" and I'm glad to have it!

Oh, and just as a "wow" moment...when I posted all my stats/measurements/photos to my challenges on Saturday, I *did* peek at my photos (which I NEVER do, because they just make me cry....) and SOMETHING SHOWED UP. That's right, gf's, something showed up in the PICS that did NOT show up on the scale, or on any tape measurement. But, there is DEFINITE improvement in my bum/saddlebag region. Now, I am HYPERCRITICAL about this area (it's the area of my body I MOST want fixed and, as can be expected, it is the HARDEST area to satisfy!)....so, I pulled my husband over to take a look at the photos and he said, "I TOLD you there was a noticeable difference in that area...."

So, there you have it! March wasn't good for scale and it wasn't good for tape measurements....but it WAS good for photos. And, for me, that means chalking it up to the body matrix. All of those squats and lunges and jumps are tightening up ONE area of my body.

Yep - April, May and June are going to be my GLORY MONTHS - you just wait and see!!!!!

That's awesome, good for you for looking and being open minded enough to actually see your results and not just ignore it!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Yay for Beeps's butt!!!! :drinker:

That's fantastic news, hope we all follow soon.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Awesome!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    @Beeps - that's great progess!! I'm hoping to see the same progress in my belly - but alas it will probably be the last bit that will change on me.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    You know what, jen?? I thought I'd see more benefit in my belly region, too....now, it's not my worst area, but given that fat loss is going to happen all over the whole body, I just thought it would look different, by now.

Mind you, I'm not even half-way through this program!! So, I kind of say, "give it a chance, will ya??" And, at the end of the program, I *do* think I will appreciate all of the efforts I put into it.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Also, to ALL OF YOU, I didn't post about my photos to brag....I actually posted about it to let you ALL know that taking photos is REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT!!

The *only* reason I took photos was because it was MANDATORY in the challenges I decided to participate in. And, posting those photos (gack!!) was also MANDATORY. So, I took the photos.

And, boy, NOW, am I ever glad I did!! The truth is, you just have NO idea how far you have come until you see it up there in all its glory. So, don't be afraid to take photos - from the front, from the side and from the back - and then also take your measurements. Do it every month (or at the end of every stage of NROL4W, if you'd prefer) and, I 100% guarantee, 6-12 months from now your shape will just AMAZE you!!

Vive la difference!!!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I guess I will have to pull the ole polariod out... =)
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I do take before pictures whenever I start something new because I truly believe that's the best way to see your own progress. I plan on taking pictures at the end of each stage.