Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• silvernswan
    silvernswan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello again

Yay! I'm really awfully pleased to be back after a hiatis of nearly two months. I didn't mean for it to happen, but I have been suffering from first trimester exhustion and going for a walk at lunch always won over going and doing weights :-( This morning I gave myself a little pep talk and decided that as long as I went and did the exercises it didn't matter if it wasn't as intense and hard as I had previously pushed myself.

I'm really pleased that I only had to step down the weights in one exercise and that only on the last set (my left arm gave out on the incline dumbell bench press)

I'm up to stage 3, and my plan is to finish the program before I have the baby (in 5 & 1/2 months) - slow going cause I can only fit in two workouts a week, and then maybe go through it again afterwards. I'm expecting I may need to make some alterations to the program as my belly gets bigger!

I've never actually followed the eating plan, but my diet has been even more out of whack due to food aversions. But now I need to start working on getting lots of good protein and other nutrients.

Regarding the recent shoe discussion, we are NOT ALLOWED to go barefoot at our gym, so I either wear allstars; good, but not quite wide enough for me feet, or my Vibrams (similar deal to those skeletoes); which ARE very comfy, but look very strange at the end of my legs. I'd rather see my barefeet :-)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Can someone please talk me through not hating Stage 2. All the balance stuff is driving me nuts and I'm seriously considering finding something else to do. (love lifting heavy weights) I've hurt my back after Stage B (I think doing the deadlift from box with the same weight was a mistake) and I'm loathing all the balance I have to do. How is this going to help me?

Balance is the key to fitness, you cannot be fit and not have balance because balance comes from the core. Your core strength is essential to proper posture and form. When you finally get it, you will have an overwhelming sense of accomplishment (trust me). In the mean time, this is something you can work on for a little bit each day to help improve. Look up some yoga balance techniques (tree pose, half moon, etc) and work on it while you're watching TV in the evenings.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Jessica - I lost 2 pounds the first couple of weeks, then gained 4 and stayed there for a MONTH, then lost 6 in a couple of weeks. I know it is discouraging, but keep lifting and eating healthy and you WILL see results. It helps me if I focus on being strong and healthy more than the numbers on the scale. And from your picture you I'd say you are already at a good weight, so those last 10 pounds are going to be slow.

What's up with the reported post MissMaggie? That's probably against the rules, right - to even ask? But it makes me curious. :)

Regarding the balancing moves - what allabtlm said. You'll get better if you keep working at it. Meanwhile, maybe you could do a couple of reps in the manner that requires balance with lighter weights, then fill in the rest with non-balance modifications. Don't get so frustrated that you quit the program.
  • sbrBirdy
    Options
    Just watched the best inspirational video... reposting here since it has such a focus on balance. If this guy can learn balance, any of us can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=youtu.be
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    What's up with the reported post MissMaggie? That's probably against the rules, right - to even ask? But it makes me curious. :)

Somebody hijacked the thread to insult a MFP member and spread awful rumours about her. I think whoever it was had bombarded as many threads as possible in a short time as I saw a reference to it elsewhere. We could do without that kind of thing, eh?
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Back from Guatemala and took a one week break besides! Not so good, up a couple pounds and I'm sure the weights are going to be a tough start. I think I will start with stage 2 and just see how it goes. A NSV though... found a picture of me taken in the garden. I do believe I see a few muscles that hadn't been there before! Yahoo!

12-04-24-011.JPG

Now to get back to it all. Hope you all had a couple good weeks. The orphanage was an amazing experience. Very good at putting things in perspective. Here I am back in my "cushy" life and being lazy to boot! We are so blessed, I truly need to put energy in giving back and appreciating all I have each and every day. Thank-you, Lord!!

See you in Stage 2!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    Busy weekend!

I'm not going to lie, I've decided to DIET for the next 8 weeks. I'd like to say it is a "cut" (in weight-lifting lingo), but I think it's a good ol' fashioned DIET.

Fact is, I'm too fluffy. I HAVE the muscles, but the definition just will NOT come until I get rid of the fat. And, I just don't know how to get rid of the fat without dieting.....enough said.

It is a rest week, for me, so I'm going to kick my cardio into high gear. Then, when I return to weight-lifting next week, I'm going to try to add in a 45-minute walk every evening. One, because it will get me outside and this is where I'd like to spend more time (over the summer) and Two, because all the women on mfp, that I know, who are in competitions, are ALL dieting (and doing more cardio).

So, I'm going to aim for a loss of 1/2 lb - 1 lb per week and I'm REALLY hoping this HARD CARDIO week will permit a big "SWOOSH" down, right at the beginning, and then it can come off in measured amounts.

To reduce my calories, I am not changing much - reducing my breakfasts, actually. Keeping my protein high. I won't go less than 1,400 - 1,600 calories a day.

I simply do *not* want to feel, like I do right now, at the end of June. That means I have to be REALLY CLEAN with my eating and, for me, sometimes it is just easier if I say "no" to things.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots going on since I was gone last week.

Beeps - congrats on finishing Stage 4 and good luck with changing up the diet.
    Hoosier - definitely seeing some muscle definition there!
    Jessica - keep at it girl! It will come back off.

I'm so ready to pick up and start lifting again. Although I'm going out of town again Wed afternoon thru Friday, but I should be able to get my lifting in tomorrow and Saturday then start up next week with my 3 day lifting schedule. Yesterday I walked the local 12k (Bloomsday) with my mom and sisters. My mom makes us do it every year. A little sore today since I haven't been walking much lately, but didn't do too bad even with my mom and her bad back (and she never trains).
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the greatest counting calories this weekend. Today was Stage 1 B2. I am up 1.3 lbs from Monday that was the day I started Stage 1. This week I am going to try hard to get 1500-1600 on no workout days and 1600-1700 on workout days.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    @Hoosiermomma - Wow! What muscles! Glad your trip went well.

@Beeps - I'm thinking the same about myself, but I'm so worried about The Hunger. Please tell us how it's going once you get started.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm feeling a little better about it all today.

I'm worn out. I just couldn't *not* lift, even though I had planned to take the week off! I didn't start stage 2, but I didn't really do stage 1 either. :-P. I did try out my new power rack. I used it for pushups and inverted rows.

Beeps-- I hope you get great results. I cringe at the thought of lower calories, even though at times I think it wouldn't hurt me any.

Hoosiermama-- look at your arms! Wow!
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I managed to get over 100g of protein today but it took a lot of effort and I've learned a few things...
    1. Must have protein in the morning to get me on the right track - today I did not and then I had to go over on my calories to get at least 100g of protein.
    2. Getting enough protein will crowd out some of the other "foods" I like (sugar)

I'm not much of a meat eater and I know that I can get more protein without meat. I do eat poultry and fish so I'm going to make a point of eating one of those every day or maybe a helping of each.

Still aiming for 120g but this is an improvement!
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm feeling a little better about it all today.

I'm worn out. I just couldn't *not* lift, even though I had planned to take the week off! I didn't start stage 2, but I didn't really do stage 1 either. :-P. I did try out my new power rack. I used it for pushups and inverted rows.

Beeps-- I hope you get great results. I cringe at the thought of lower calories, even though at times I think it wouldn't hurt me any.

Hoosiermama-- look at your arms! Wow!

Hey, glad to see you back. New power rack- that's great!
    Do you have an idea of why you're feeling tired? Are you going to take the week off like you planned?
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Forlife-- Thanks!

I don't know if I'll take off or not. I guess I'll wait and see what happens Thursday. Lol! I won't be lifting before then. Cutting down to twice a week seems to have really helped the fatigue. If I can move tomorrow, I'll do 30 day shred. If not, I'll do a Leslie Sansone walk or go outside for a walk.

I'm tired tonight from this weekend and from today's lifting. Mostly the weekend. We cleaned out our bonus room--a HUGE job-- and spent the rest of the weekend putting together a weight bench, power tower, and power rack. That rack was a booger! I still am not sleeping super either. I don't know why I don't sleep well, but man, what I would give for a solid night's sleep!
  • Lysandra81
    Lysandra81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

quite some DOMS today from Sunday's wokout but I am taking this as a good sign. I am planning Stage one 2A tomorrow. I am feeling better about 1B than 1A. I did better in judging the weight I can take already - so I am looking forward to some weight increase for 2A. :)
  • Nadiataha
    Nadiataha Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I just realized I'm on the same schedule as you are. I'm doing 2A tomorrow also. So far I really love it -- I'm sore and it's forcing me out of my comfort range by pushing me into what I think of as the "big boy weight room" :) So far I've only done it during off-peak hours when there's not as many people to watch me mess around in there. But I have high hopes that soon I'll feel more comfortable in the gym and in my own skin.
  • Lysandra81
    Lysandra81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I just realized I'm on the same schedule as you are. I'm doing 2A tomorrow also. So far I really love it -- I'm sore and it's forcing me out of my comfort range by pushing me into what I think of as the "big boy weight room" :) So far I've only done it during off-peak hours when there's not as many people to watch me mess around in there. But I have high hopes that soon I'll feel more comfortable in the gym and in my own skin.

Hi there, I kinda do the same tactics - off peak hours as this also means I don't have to fight for the weights. Plus I am really lucky my SO does it with me (yes, he does the women's program but hey weight is weight, isn't it?) so I am not all alone. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I *really* like going to the gym at "non-peak" hours....it DOES make it easier to get the equipment needed for NROL4W, plus the thought that "peering eyeballs" are everywhere just doesn't come into one's mind. I go over the lunch-hour and there's probably 3 other regular dudes that I see there, and then some one-offs, but that's it.

Hoosier....those arms are BUFF. Nicely done!
  • sbrBirdy
    Options
    Hoosier - Love those muscles!!

I've been concentrating more on diet as well - summer is HERE in my neck of the woods. Being diabetic may have something to do with it, but I just can't tolerate carbs very well. I can tell a huge difference in how puffy my stomach is when I cut down. And I actually feel better - less hunger, less headachy, more energy.

Not sure if I'll get to my workout today or not, but I'm excited about starting Stage 5! I actually enjoy the balancing lifts. They are different. I'm hoping to see an improved time on my body matrix as well.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Ah, yes, the "body matrix"....I don't think I'll improve my time, any, but I *do* hope to make sure my form is GOOD, GOOD, GREAT!! as I move through Stage 5.

I like the balancing lifts, too. I don't think I'm very good at them, but I really like trying them, lol!