Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    ANd now I'm sick. There go my plans for the weekend.

Lozze, what stage are you at? and congrats on the weight loss.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Lozze, what stage are you at? and congrats on the weight loss.

Thank you :)

I was halfway through Stage 2 when I stopped to try and break the plateau I was in. I've been doing only running for the past couple of weeks. My legs look AMAZING but I want to lower body fat. (according to a body fat scale I'm at 50%. Measurments using the military calculator have me at 44% last time I did it. I'm trying to find someone who can do the pinch test for me but out of luck so far :(
  • samntha14
    Options
    Well lifting will bring the upper body around in no time at all. It's the stuff in the middle that really takes time LOL. Too many people get discouraged on this program when the scale doesn't move for them, when it really isn't supposed to too much.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod results after stage 2:
    2.8 lbs of fat loss
    0.7 lbs of muscle gain

Overall, BF% loss of 1.6%
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Too many people get discouraged on this program when the scale doesn't move for them, when it really isn't supposed to too much.

That's the issue I'm facing right now. After losing 37kg I'm still facing another 30kg lost before I get to a healthy weight range. While losing inches is important losing scale weight is just as important. I'm happy to lose inches when I'm a lot closer to my goal weight, but all the people who claim on the boards that you lose weight while weight lifting don't seem to be right.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Too many people get discouraged on this program when the scale doesn't move for them, when it really isn't supposed to too much.

Sam, this is a really good point. I am guilty of this. Thank you for the reminder.
  • samntha14
    Options

Sam, this is a really good point. I am guilty of this. Thank you for the reminder.
    :happy:
    THe 300 cal deficit that is recommended as the max is about a 1/2 lb per week. If you are eating at maintenance, like myself, you shouldn't lose any weight. I'll lose a few ounces when I have a week of consistent deficits. Really though I'm too hungry to maintain that for long.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options

:happy:
    THe 300 cal deficit that is recommended as the max is about a 1/2 lb per week. If you are eating at maintenance, like myself, you shouldn't lose any weight. I'll lose a few ounces when I have a week of consistent deficits. Really though I'm too hungry to maintain that for long.

That's me. If I eat at a good deficit, I am losing about .5 a week, maybe less. BUT, I get hungry sometimes! So, it's hard to be as consistent as I need to be to keep losing. My muscles want food!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Jen, please tell this noob what DOM is?

You probably know it well by now Sue- delayed onset muscle soreness (I think). When they really ache the next day and then reallllly ache 2 days later!

Ohhhhhh... :laugh: yea I know what that is!!

Workout today was tough!! It's warm in my home (no I hate air conditioning) and I did Stage 1 #3 - I did goblet squats at 20 pounds, went back up to 45 degrees on the pushup but did them elbows in and REALLY concentrated on form - yikes what a difference. I am also doing bent-over barbell rows since I don't have the machine here at home. Focus was on form more than ever before and I struggled with the last 2 lifts on both sets but really feel it in my back muscles - no pain, just feel the burn! I'm really most happy about my prone jackknife! I did 10, I didn't fall off at all and I could roll out pretty cleanly too. Not so great yet on the "dismount" but it's much better! I

Sam, that's what I have struggled with! I want the scale to MOVE! And the more I want it to move, the more it doesn't or it moves in the wrong direction. So I've decided, as I said in a previous post, I'll weigh, but I'm not going to freak (I hope!) about no movement or that gain/lose pounds that I do. I want muscle, and fat loss right now. I'm sick of seeing of my thighs jiggle for 15 minutes after I stop walking, among other things! And I want a back and shoulders like Tanya and Sam and all you other gorgeous muscular women! I think the rest will follow as I get more muscle and if it doesn't then I'll address it then.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So...I'm a little bummed today. I joined MFP in mid March at 180 (I'm 5'11). I wanted to lose about 15 lbs. I started NROL a month later and was down to 176. I upped my calories from 1200 to about 1700. I stepped on the scale this morning - 182! No matter what, I'm disappointed. Seriously. I get that I'm adding muscle, but I'm also eating at a deficit and should be losing more fat than I am. Grr! Like I said earlier, I changed up my diet on Monday to restrict my carbs pretty severely. We'll see. Damn! It's just so frustrating!

And I know the scale isn't supposed to move much with this program, but theoretically, it should be. I'm buring during workouts (not even counting after burn) AND eating at a deficit. Fat should be coming off.
  • samntha14
    Options
    The burn from an anaerobic exercise is only between 200 and 300 regardless of what a HRM says, so be careful with that. Also, if you have too much of a deficit, you won't gain the muscle you really want. Water however, has been a constant friend of mine. I retain so badly that I only step on the scale during off weeks. It took a few months, but I got over my need to weigh myself constantly. I am definitely evolving in how I think and feel about my body. I've said it before, my body is far from an idealized "perfect", but I really like what I see. (my profile pic is strategically cropped as to not show my problem area and I'm still happy)
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Sam, sorry about the sunburn. But good for you for wearing the bikini in public. I was at a big public beach today and had just the same thoughts you did--lots of beautiful women, at all sizes, rocking bikinis. Of course, I was in my tankini, but honestly, I *could* have been in a bikini--there were plenty of heavier, jiggly-er women in skimpy string numbers. Next time, maybe I'll wear mine. Will definitely do some sunless ab tanning first though.

Sue, sounds like you have a great time planned with your kids! Believe it or not, I grew up in NYC and I've never seen the NYC fireworks! Weird...

JNH--Sorry about the disappointing scale results. A lot of us share them! I've been on MFP since Feb and haven't lost much. Most of it was in the first 2 weeks. I've eaten at a consistent deficit the whole time, and have seen no progress lately. I'm pretty close to taking a one-month diet break. Figure it can't really hurt since I'm not losing anything anyway, I won't gain if I eat slightly below maintenance, maybe I'll gain some muscle (or at least make bigger strength gains), and maybe it'll serve as a "reset" to get me losing again when I go back to a deficit. I'm also just sick of dieting. It's frustrating.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    So...I'm a little bummed today. I joined MFP in mid March at 180 (I'm 5'11). I wanted to lose about 15 lbs. I started NROL a month later and was down to 176. I upped my calories from 1200 to about 1700. I stepped on the scale this morning - 182! No matter what, I'm disappointed. Seriously. I get that I'm adding muscle, but I'm also eating at a deficit and should be losing more fat than I am. Grr! Like I said earlier, I changed up my diet on Monday to restrict my carbs pretty severely. We'll see. Damn! It's just so frustrating!

And I know the scale isn't supposed to move much with this program, but theoretically, it should be. I'm buring during workouts (not even counting after burn) AND eating at a deficit. Fat should be coming off.

Have you had any time off from NR? I'm in week 6, and just had a week off (due to travel/holiday) and I dropped 2lbs after putting on/staying the same since I started. I think the break allowed my body to fully repair and relax! I an eating at the 300 calorie deficit as laid out in the book.

Was super nice to get back lifting, been feeling very low the last few days and the endorphin bump from the lifting has really helped my mood.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Have you had any time off from NR? I'm in week 6, and just had a week off (due to travel/holiday) and I dropped 2lbs after putting on/staying the same since I started. I think the break allowed my body to fully repair and relax! I an eating at the 300 calorie deficit as laid out in the book.

Was super nice to get back lifting, been feeling very low the last few days and the endorphin bump from the lifting has really helped my mood.

I took a break after a week of Stage 2 for vacation. I definately didn't weigh when I got back from that! I retain MASSIVE amounts of water if I don't drink a gallon a day (just didn't work into vacation) or if I eat even the basic recommendation of sodium. Even my doctor prescribed me diuretics because of it. I do try to weigh when I've got as little retention as possible (taken the diuretics for 3-4 days, etc). I know some of the weight was retention but I know I wasn't retaining *that* much.

I just think patience is needed for me. I just at least want the scale moving in THE RIGHT direction -- even at a snail's pace.
  • suelegal
    Options
    I think I'd be freaked about that weight gain too. I don't have any pearls of wisdom, just can relate to the feelings. I will say this, I have no idea where you are putting 182 pounds. Your legs are gorgeous!! I'd give my eyetooth to have legs like that!

Ok, so I can tell my form was much better, cuz man DOM is REALLY on today! Especially biceps, shoulders and upper back. Wow! So glad you all emphasized (and I heard) form! I'm going to keep my focus there.

I've been doing goblet squats because I don't have a rack or smith machine here at home. I really prefer using the free weights so I"m not so sure I want to use the smith, based on what I've heard. Also, there's the time factor. Getting to the gym right now is difficult at best, I leave for work at 6:45am and usually I'm not back in my area until after 7pm. So working out at home early in the morning is really the best use of my time. However, I squat with 20 pounds yesterday, and I know it wasn't heavy enough, although it worked, cuz I do have some leg soreness. Eventually I know I will need to get to a squat rack to increase weight, there's no way I'll be able to hold 100 pound barbell. But in the meantime, can I use 2 dumbbells held at my side and do squats that way? I know I can get more weight on that way. I can hold 2x25 or maybe even more eventually. Does that count??? Is there an optimal way to hold the weights?
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've been doing goblet squats because I don't have a rack or smith machine here at home. I really prefer using the free weights so I"m not so sure I want to use the smith, based on what I've heard. Also, there's the time factor. Getting to the gym right now is difficult at best, I leave for work at 6:45am and usually I'm not back in my area until after 7pm. So working out at home early in the morning is really the best use of my time. However, I squat with 20 pounds yesterday, and I know it wasn't heavy enough, although it worked, cuz I do have some leg soreness. Eventually I know I will need to get to a squat rack to increase weight, there's no way I'll be able to hold 100 pound barbell. But in the meantime, can I use 2 dumbbells held at my side and do squats that way? I know I can get more weight on that way. I can hold 2x25 or maybe even more eventually. Does that count??? Is there an optimal way to hold the weights?

Sue holding them by your side becomes more of a deadlift. Can you hold the dumbells up on your shoulders? It helps get your back at the right angle for a proper squat if the weight is up where it should be.

What some of us have done is get a cheap weight bench to use as a squat rack, the upright bench press racks sometimes extend upwards, mine go chest height which is enough to use as a squat rack for me. I got a cheap barbell set too. If you're in the US, check ebay/craigslist.
  • suelegal
    Options
    LOL I have a bench in the basement, but I have no room to move it around for use as a squat rack. My tiny house, not so good sometimes, but great for keeping clean!!

I will hold the dumbbells up on my shoulders. Thanks Jen!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    someone posted on the boards that our group isn't active! I say we bombard that thread :bigsmile:

ETA: nevermind. lady said her group only post every couple weeks and said there must be another group. I invited them to come over to us.
  • jamkat
    jamkat Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well I FINALLY got around to doing the 1st workout! I loved it and can't wait for Tue night for the 2nd. I'm pretty sure my thighs will be speaking to me tomorrow and they won't be saying nice things! I had a dexa scan done 5/8 and have a follow up scheduled for 8/8. Even though I'll only have 5 wks of lifting in by then I hope to see a positive change in fat loss and muscle gain. I'll be doing 3 workouts per week so I'll be just finished with Stage 1 by then. I'm soo excited!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Need advice on schedule. Do I try to get to the gym in the EARLY am tomorrow for 4A4 BEFORE going to Great ADventure for a full day of walking and standing in lines, or do I just wait until TUesday? If I wait until Tuesday, it will be a full 7 days without lifting, and I'll miss a cardio day. I apparently did all of stage 4 with lifting 2 days a week.:blushing: