Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Did you decide against Stage 6 Jen? I've lost track!

Haven't quite decided about going back to stage 6 yet Maggie (I didn't have time for it before stage 7/hols), i'll be all over the place this summer, might do it after that, before stronglifts, but i'm so keen to start that I'm not sure!

How are you liking it?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    So many of us are coming up on the end and getting ready to go our separate ways. I hate to see you leave. We need to keep the daily chat going, or start a new group or something for "lifting chicks"
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Did you decide against Stage 6 Jen? I've lost track!

Haven't quite decided about going back to stage 6 yet Maggie (I didn't have time for it before stage 7/hols), i'll be all over the place this summer, might do it after that, before stronglifts, but i'm so keen to start that I'm not sure!

How are you liking it?

Actually, I'm really liking it. Got my first significant DOMS from it, so I know I'm working hard.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I don't really think anyone has to "leave" this thread just because they have "graduated" (and moved on....) from NROL4W!!

Stick around, samntha, I'm going to....
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ooooh I can tell I added weight! DOMs that I've never had before. I am sore in places I didn't think I had! Owie! <G> Yea it's a good sore, but sore! I will try lifting tomorrow, Stage 1 4B - my last 2 set work out and I want to do it! But I will see how I feel in the morning.

My other news is that the surgeon recommended by my gyn and my internist has agreed to see me and will do the surgery. I have to call tomorrow to make an initial appointment. Once we talk, I'll have a better idea when and how long I'll be down etc. I'm not really worried about the surgery and I will be relieved to have this whole thing behind me. This has been going on for too long.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    yall better stick around!! You know me, I'll sabotage myself around TOM if yall aren't here to kick my butt into reality.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it make sense having deficit of at least 500 every day for the past 2 months (with the exception of maybe 3 days at maintenance) a person would have LOST weight? This is killing me people! The deficit is calculated per body media.

I don't wanna go hungry but that is the ONLY way I have lost weight. I eat 1200 and don't eat exercise calories but once I start eating more I gain it all back. So does that mean my body requires only 1200?

UGH! Why does this have to be a struggle! I have a couple friends(in real life) who are dropping weight like crazy. Yes they are eating bird size portions and I don't want to be like that. I like food .

Tomorrow I will finish up stage 4. Take a week ish break from lifting and do some cardio. and yes, I know. It's not about the scales. :wink: I just needed to rant because it doesn't make sense.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Oh NROL4W how I am missing you, first of all I was away last week and the little local gym near by didn't have any free weights, so I thought OK one week won't hurt just keep walking and running everyday and then pick it up when I get back, Monday this week should have been first day back on it and then bam! FLU!!!! its Thursday now and the fever has finally broken, just feel so weak and all I want to do is exercise exercise *crying face*!!!

thank you mini rant over :)
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    morning all.

I have a question on Stage 2 - I will be starting this stage on Monday and I am SO looking forward to it.

My question is Do you still do this stage 3 times a week, or only 2 times a week?

Thanks
    Claudette
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it make sense having deficit of at least 500 every day for the past 2 months (with the exception of maybe 3 days at maintenance) a person would have LOST weight? This is killing me people! The deficit is calculated per body media.

I don't wanna go hungry but that is the ONLY way I have lost weight. I eat 1200 and don't eat exercise calories but once I start eating more I gain it all back. So does that mean my body requires only 1200?

UGH! Why does this have to be a struggle! I have a couple friends(in real life) who are dropping weight like crazy. Yes they are eating bird size portions and I don't want to be like that. I like food .

Tomorrow I will finish up stage 4. Take a week ish break from lifting and do some cardio. and yes, I know. It's not about the scales. :wink: I just needed to rant because it doesn't make sense.
    Girl, seriously, had this same conversation with myself last night. First, I did NOT weigh myself because like I need any more motivation to not continue? But I *did* take measurements and am still hanging onto that .75-1" I've GAINED on my already ginormous thighs since mid APRIL (they look worse in real life that pictures ;)). It's bull.

I'm skipping stage 6 (may do the program again next year and include it depending on where I am fat wise) and if I do Stage 7 once, I'll finish over Labor Day weekend. I'm planning on doing Stage 7 twice because it seems much more of a fat burning stage plus I firmly decided last night that I"m doing Insanity when I'm done with this. I'm going to Mexico the week of October 21st and I want as much fat gone as possible and if I do Stage 7 twice, the timing will be perfect for the rest week between month 1 and month 2 of Insanity. I should finish it around Thanksgiving and then I'll circle back around to a lifting program. I mentally feel better with this plan. Haha!

So.......anyone actually done Insanity? My husband is doing it now and damn, it's pretty brutal looking! I'm kinda scared!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    morning all.

I have a question on Stage 2 - I will be starting this stage on Monday and I am SO looking forward to it.

My question is Do you still do this stage 3 times a week, or only 2 times a week?

Thanks
    Claudette

Still 3 times a week. I'm on Stage 4 right now which is exactly like stage 2 except for the rep/set count. It's my favorite so far. I have made so much progress on these lifts because of gaining some balance!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    cool thanks.

I am going to hire a trainer at the gym to go over all of the exercises in this stage as it would seem my form was incorrect with the lat pull down and these exercises seem a little more intense and I want to avoid any possibility of injury.
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options

You may need to eat more! There is a similar topic going on on the NROLFW Facebook group (awesome ladies!). You need to fuel your body in order for it to do what it needs to do! 1200 calories sounds super low!! What type of foods are you eating? Are those 1200 calories coming from carbs and sugars? Or are they high protein/healthy fat calories?
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 12 workouts for Stay 7 instead of 6, only because I don't know what to do next and haven't had time to plan it out! I love the structure of this program, though I will admit I cheated myself on the lunges last night :( I may do the last five workouts, but skip lunges and step-ups..
    I know it's not how the program is intended, but i get so frustrated with them!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manic - like it or not, you have to PRIORITIZE.

1. Do you want to decrease the number on the scale?? Then I suggest you eat between 1,000 - 1,200 calories per day, do cardio like crazy, and your scale number will drop. Oh, you'll be skinny, but you won't have any muscles. And, whenEVER you start eating more calories, your weight will bounce RIGHT BACK UP.

2. Do you want to change your shape??? Then I suggest you get off the scale, permanently. Start fueling your body FOR your work-outs. Get your HEAVY lifting in (to exhaustion) and ease up on the cardio.

Take your medicine, manic.....this is TOUGH LOVE BEEPS comin' out!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    cushy - I did 3 x per week at every Stage, except Stage 7 (my current stage). I cannot do 3 x per week with these circuit-style work-outs. My body just needs more recovery time.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jnh - I'm kind of convinced you keep measuring the BIGGEST part of different body parts, and the BIGGEST part (of course), keeps moving around. If you measure at the EXACT same spot, time after time, THAT is where the reductions will happen (imho). Legs, for me, are DIFFICULT. I measure mid-thigh by hanging my arms down my side and wherever my middle finger rests, that's where I measure. So, I *believe* that is the same spot, every month. But, where do I measure my upper thigh?? I'm betting that moves around every month. Same with calves.....how do I KNOW it's the "same" spot every month.....can't. It's probably off by 1", or more, in either direction, every time. LEGS are TOUGH to measure!

Belly, too. My fitness challenge demands say, "measure at smallest part of waist". Well, that's probably moving around, a bit, every month. And, second, it says, "measure at biggest part of waist" - huh? That, for SURE, is floating around every month. So, instead, I've decided to measure RIGHT at the belly-button....that sucker is staying in the same spot every time, lol.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I was out for drinks with some of my gf's about 10 days ago. One of 'em had indicated she'd "quit working out". I said, 'why???' - since her shape had changed, DRAMATICALLY, in the last year (she WAS heavy lifting - but NOT doing compound exercises, she was using machines - and she WAS doing TONS of cardio). Her response, "my calves grew to the size of softballs...."

Ummmmm, something is WRONG in that equation. I'm convinced that if she had done something like NROL4W, her calves would have remaind proportionate to the rest of her shape-change. Instead, I'm betting her "machines" ended up doing TONS of calf work, and not a lot of upper leg work, or torso work. So, yes, she developed ONE muscle over-the-top.

(I didn't see softball size calves on her on the day I saw her, either. Plus, she smokes....she wasn't gonna get too far for too long with ANY program, imho.)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jlhudy - I'm glad to read that you are doing the 12 work-outs in Stage 7.....I want the company. I want the shared misery.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Girl, seriously, had this same conversation with myself last night. First, I did NOT weigh myself because like I need any more motivation to not continue? But I *did* take measurements and am still hanging onto that .75-1" I've GAINED on my already ginormous thighs since mid APRIL (they look worse in real life that pictures ;)). It's bull.

I'm skipping stage 6 (may do the program again next year and include it depending on where I am fat wise) and if I do Stage 7 once, I'll finish over Labor Day weekend. I'm planning on doing Stage 7 twice because it seems much more of a fat burning stage plus I firmly decided last night that I"m doing Insanity when I'm done with this. I'm going to Mexico the week of October 21st and I want as much fat gone as possible and if I do Stage 7 twice, the timing will be perfect for the rest week between month 1 and month 2 of Insanity. I should finish it around Thanksgiving and then I'll circle back around to a lifting program. I mentally feel better with this plan. Haha!

So.......anyone actually done Insanity? My husband is doing it now and damn, it's pretty brutal looking! I'm kinda scared!

My husband is. I won't, I think I would feel overwhelmed trying to do both.

I have the same issue too. I actually have been looking at the group Eat More to Weigh Less ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less )because I'm convinced I've wrecked my metabolism over the years due to all the crazy crash diets and eating so stupidly. I'm not quite daring enough to eat the way they suggest yet, but honestly, I just don't lose weight. I am hovering between 158- 161, and it's as frustrating as all get out. Yup, lifting is changing my shape but I want to get 20 pounds off and nope it's not going anywhere. So for the moment, I'm just not worrying about it. Once i get through NROL4W, I will see what has happened. It may be that all the new muscle will increase my metabolism enough that I begin losing weight. If not, I'll talk to a doc and see if there's something else going on wtih me.