Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Samntha - great pics! You are looking good!

I also have my diary public, but don't have it post on the feed. I've never had any negative comments, but don't make comments on anyone else's diary.

I'm starting Stage 3 on Friday and hoping I can get thru the whole program in another 3 months. I committed to 6 months for NROLW, then I'm moving on to strong lifts.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have an odd question. I did A6 on Wed of last week, then B6 yesterday. The gap was because of a convention I had where I walked a TON. Yesterday I felt much stronger than I did when I did B5 last. As in, my deadlift got upped 30 lbs and even my shoulder presses went up 10. I didn't sacrifice form. I do weights 3 days a week and run on alternating days. Could this mean that my body needs more rest between weight days? Like I should cut back on running?
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    DrG - Yes. :) My experience has been that I work hard and diet, then I have a couple of really bad days - no workout and terrible diet. I use to freak out about it, but I've noticed that when I do my next workout it is a great one. Some people purposefully do rest/spike days. You'll have the best muscle gains by only doing lifting. Most people want some weight loss in there too, and I've seen even really hard core lifters admit they have to add cardio for the best weight loss (not necessarily the best/only thing to do for long term fitness). You just need to make notes regarding and find the best balance of work/rest for you.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    My typical week is M, W, F weights, T and Th are running, then rest on Sat (or run occasionally if the weather is just so nice!) and Sunday. My diet seems to be pretty good. I haven't logged well for a while, but I just go so tired of logging. I think maybe now I should take a rest day between the weights, not at the end.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    I think rest is KEY. Although, I don't have a similar story to report, as to DrG's....

I haven't done NROL4W in 9 days. 7 days ago, I went to see a personal trainer, so I *did* lift, but just not NROL4W. I returned to Stage 5, today. My second-to-last workout "A". And, my results are quite MIXED.

I went UP on the back squat (which I'm subbing in for the one-arm DB snatch). I went UP in my BB row. I STAYED THE SAME for the one-legged DB deadlift. I STAYED THE SAME for my DB incline press. And, I went DOWN in the DB one-armed overhead squat. (I decided to go down because, despite the fact there are only 4 reps in each set, I really WASN'T doing great at my form with the heavier weight - I felt my arm was TOO FAR FORWARD. Today, it really was over my head and NOT forward.)

I couldn't get in the whole body matrix. I was just TOO exhausted!! (Why, oh why, should I have been TIRED, when I haven't LIFTED in 7 days???? Yes, I do cardio all the other days, but, SHEESH.) So, I did 2 sets of the normal squats and lunges, with a rest in between. NO jumping squats. NO jumping lunges. (and yet, I *know* those are the ones that really engage my glutes - which is what I NEED).

Anyway. I don't consider today to be much of a "success".

I *am* finding that there just is NO linear progression, for me, with this weight-training stuff. It seems very much "ahead 1 step, back 2, ahead 3 steps, back 5, etc., etc."
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred. Lord help me get through it!:embarassed:

I will do the 30D shred instead of the HIIT.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Ladies, Thank you . You all absolutely made my day, week even. It's been an absolutely hell-a-ish couple of days and hot as hades ta-boot, so everybody is extra grumpy. I wish I still had my pics from Jan and Feb when I first started because I think the difference would be more dramatic (stupid hard-drive). On top of all that, I had an insulin spike today because I didn't get enough protein early in the day. I could just kick myself because it's my own damn fault. I know better. So thank you again for making feel awesome and feeling inspired to get my butt in the gym tonight. I had a pretty bad headache after crashing this afternoon, so I almost stayed home. Off I go.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Well I have good news :)

I had my yearly blood panel done Tuesday and I got the results back. My HDL went up 5 pts, and my LDL dropped 3 (I was in the low normal range already but this is awesome) so totaly chol. dropped and my Iron is actually getting up in the normal range (I take supplements :<) so I'm hoping at my normal appt next Tuesday the doc gives me a thumbs up. I'm not a doctor so its hard to read the stuff they give me but I compared my numbers to those of two years ago when I had it done last. Rather my weights dropping or not, I'm actually getting healthier so that's what counts.

Thumbs up to all you ladies who keep me going with this everyday :)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    great news DrG!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    So is anyone else getting calluses on their hands from lifting? I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm consistently able to add more weight, so I know that is why. But I really don't like having hard calluses. Anyone have any recommendations to alleviate them?
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So is anyone else getting calluses on their hands from lifting? I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm consistently able to add more weight, so I know that is why. But I really don't like having hard calluses. Anyone have any recommendations to alleviate them?

yes, I get them too. I think gloves would be the only way to avoid them. I've heard on here NOT to use gloves, but I haven't a clue as to why?
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    DrG - great NSVs!!! Getting healthier is awesome!

Nici - I always have small calluses the day that I lift, but the next day they are gone. I don't know if it's because I use a lot of lotion or not. I use Bath & BodyWorks body cream quite a few times a day or else my hands are totally dried out all the time.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I use gloves. Period.

DrG - I *loved* your post....such a good REMINDER that we are all here, for various reasons, but HEALTH has to be #1!! Such good news!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I won't get a work-out in, today, because I have to take my son to a dr's appointment, but I'll watch my food intake, instead.

Gack - 2 days to weigh-in/photos/measurements! Wish me luck.

(And then, thank goodness, only 1 month left in my 6-month fitness challenge....I'll need a *break* from the "challenge" part of the equation by then!)
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No workout for me today either. :( Up all night with a sick kid... and I mean ALL night. Still, my mind keeps drifting off to the powerblocks. And I hear Jillian and Tony calling to me... I think I need a nap.

Super job DrG!!

Gloves - I use them. I've heard some say that it prevents your grip from strengthening? Idk... I'd rather not have manly callouses, and it bugs my husband too.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I use gloves...and still have calluses, so can't help. Sorry :O
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    You get calluses with gloves?? What type of gloves do you use?? (Maybe they are too "thin"??)

I don't know if I *buy* that gloves obstruct "grip development"....but, it isn't like I'm squatting 200 lbs and deadlifting 250 lbs, anyway. All I know is I can carry around 35 lb DB's, no problem, and I feel like my grip is strengthening with each work-out. I dunno.

Anyway, Birdy, SICK kids (all through the night) are THE WORST. I hope you catch up on some rest, today - your body needs THAT more than an appt at the gym (or any work-out dvd).

I ended up having enough time to get in a 25-min walk at lunch. I know, nothing special to write home about, but I figure it is "better than nothing".
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have mild callouses with my gloves. They are nice and thick gloves. It isn't as bad if I remember to take off my ring first. That's where I get them. On my left hand under my ring finger.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'd try removing the ring....report back.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'd try removing the ring....report back.

I try to remember to do that! Some days I do, some I forget. When I forget, I just pumice off the callous in the shower.