Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    Good morning! Hope everyone is doing well :) My hip is stiff and sore but so far no knife like pains! I'm taking that as a good sign :) Here are the pics of the peninsula and stools!
    76jmohm324nz.jpg

2yf7snnlunsk.jpg

Marcie-- I keep meaning to mention how cute Cisco looks in the pics you posted :)

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Good morning all, the free concert was really enjoyable. The band members are members of the bluegrass society so not only was the music and harmony great but they also give really interesting history and background to go along with each song. I really like that. Hubby and I went to one of our favorite restaurants afterward and I got a pulled pork sandwich and potato salad. That was our lunch and dinner. We later had popcorn along with our TV watching. Today I am going to see that Christian movie called War Room. My bible study teacher gave me a theater gift certificate so I can go. I have heard it is a really good movie. I will probably end up going by myself because hubby wants to do more work in the yard before the landscaper guy comes tomorrow. That's OK.

Jannie, so sorry to hear that the shot was so painful and glad you are somewhat better today. I have a couple of friends who have needed to get cortisone shots (one of them for hip problems and the other for foot problems) and they also said they are painful and that their doctor doesn't like to give the shot very often.

The stools match the kitchen perfectly and look comfortable. Good choice. Crazy about the exhaust fan and the electrical issues. Hope they figure it all out soon so you can be totally done.

The "landscape" work we are doing isn't really going to be much to look at. They will be rebuilding the drain system on the side of the house then covering it with river rock. I'll still see if I can get a picture and show you what Dan has been working on for the past month.

Ok, off to church. Have a wonderful day everyone!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    So much for my idea of writing more often. I did make it to Lori's Wednesday. Lori and Maggie stayed home but I stayed too and did dishes and worked on laundry and held Maggie some while Lori tried to get some sewing done. I was able to leave after I got E ready for bed.

Thursday I didn't have to take Ava to speech as Katie and the kids went out to see her mom. Then that afternoon didn't go smoothly with Ralph and Alan so I ended up over there. We ended up meeting with our pastor on Friday and will see how it goes now. Thursday evening I had 4-H Council meeting but no 4-Her to take so Ralph rode along and I also was able to do my Friday shopping which was nice. Since Ralph was along I left a few things for next week but got the basics.

Friday evening my sister and I went in to watch Thomas play football. He got to play a lot and Sunrise won (84-60). We got home about 11. Then Saturday was a full day. I got my jello made (still being careful with the electricity), watched Derek's kids for two hours in the morning,. Got home and changed and Ralph and I went to a wedding reception and then on to Lori's. Their school has a fun night they all like to go to so I stayed with Emily. Ralph went to the used bookstores. And this time I did dishes, laundry (including a load for us) and cleaned the bathrooms. I'm trying to help all I can when I'm there - wish I'd get as much done here. Lori had a good time buying at the auction - two pies, pecan rolls, cupcakes, cinnamon rolls. Most of it will go in the freezer but with 7 mouths to feed, it won't last long and no one will get too much. They had walked or biked to the school so a co-worker brought it by. On the walk home (in the dark) Paige tripped and skinned her knees pretty good but didn't cry.

Today was communion so we just have church so I had time this morning. We were invited to a neighbor's for dinner and had such a good time and a delicious meal. We didn't get home until 4 and have just had a relaxing evening. Now I'm about ready to head for bed. Tomorrow night is 4-H so you know what my day will be like tomorrow. :)

Marcie, hope you're feeling better now that the tooth is gone. Stay well now.
    Hope your neighborhood is back to its usual smell now that the pig is cooked.

Anew, what a job to get your RV parked. Sorry it affected your health so much. Glad you are doing better. You are learning a lot about Gathered Table. It is helping with your meals.

Isabella, glad you had the weekend free from work and a good concert and meal out. They make the service size "small" to make the nutrition stats better I think. Bummer on the mess with Verizon. Glad you got it figured out but nice that the credit card company caught the suspicious activity.

Jannie, glad you are able to get around a bit now. What you went through with that shot sound very painful. Your kitchen is beautiful. The stools look nice and comfortable.

I hope everyone has a good pain free week. Will pop in when I can.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Good Morning. Yesterday was very nice, John went with me, yay, and we had a good visit. They have three girls, ages 5, 9 and 11. I took some coloring materials and that kept them busy the whole time. I went to the Learning Palace on Friday to get something for the girls and found these translucent sheets with black background and after they are colored in, they look like stained glass. I got three packets, birds, flowers and butterflies, each packet has 12 sheets. I told them that I didn't know what each of their favorite things might be, so I hope they will share all of them with each other. I guess they did, we didn't hear a peep out of them until the 9 year old brought me a finished one to take home. She did a great job of coloring the flower with beautiful colors. I'll have to save it and put it in my window when she comes to visit. I plan to go back and buy some for Elizabeth, she's 9 now too and this would be perfect for her also. Turning into quite the artist. Then I'll have to look for something appropriate for Eric, he's 3 years old now. The Learning Palace has so many great educational things, a huge selection of books and toys.

Yesterday turned out to be a beautiful day (it was forecast to rain) and after lunch inside, we had our homemade apple pie out on their patio and visited some more. They have a beautiful home, but are looking to move to have more yard for a bigger garden and maybe more animals. They have 4 chickens and most of the backyard now is play area for the girls. We left at 4:30 pm, I was exhausted from talking so much, but so glad we had that time together. I don't realize how little talking I do here at home until I get out with old friends and catch up on our lives. They kept asking me if it hurts to talk, my voice sounds so bad. It doesn't hurt, but I run out of breath and get tired.

My next outing will be next week, Wednesday the 21st, I'm getting together for lunch with Carol and a few other ladies from the Bible Study group that I used to attend. The group is meeting again now, they stop during the summer, but it's still on Tuesday mornings, 9 am, and that's too early for me to get John situated for the day so that I can leave for a few hours. I wish they met in the afternoon, but I'm sure most of the women prefer mornings. I make almost all of my appointments 11:30 or later, that seems to be the best time for me and John.

As I sit here at the computer, I see all kinds of little post-it notes that John has left for himself. What a mess, I can't figure out what he's saying. He usually can't either. Later, he'll ask me if I can explain these to him and I'll have to say, no, I can't. How frustrating. Saturday, he came in from the garage with an empty tool box, (about 8" x 20"), but it had a label on it, King Pin Press/Puller. He wanted to know where the tool is that should be in this box. We spent several hours Saturday looking for the King Pin Press, but couldn't find it. The inventory card showed that it was purchased in 1976, and accounted for in inventory in 1992 and 2009, so I know for sure that it has to be on this property, we moved here in 1992 and inventoried everything that came with us. But, I have no idea when John may have taken it out of the box, anytime between 2009 and last Saturday. I told him that this is another item that we have to stop searching for and later, at some point in time, we'll stumble onto it when we're looking for something else. He hates when I tell him that, but I have no choice, I've exhausted all the places I can think of and I'm not willing to spend more time on it.

I'd better wrap this up for now. Hope everyone has a nice day. Oh, I just remembered that it's a holiday, no mail and no banks open, good thing I'll be staying home.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi.

Well, I'm minus an annoying tooth now. The dentist pulled it on Saturday. Went very quick and not much pain. Also, my face wasn't numb afterwards at all. That was pretty cool. Usually it takes hours after a dental procedure before I thaw out. He was planning to put an implant in too, but wasn't able to because of the infection and bone loss. He wants me to come back in in 6 months to get the implant. I made the appointment, but we'll see. He prescribed 7 days worth of antibiotics that I'm supposed to start after I finish the 10 day supply the Endodontist prescribed last Thursday. 17 day of antibiotics! Not good. Will be eating lots of yogurt. The dentist also told me he wants me to use saline nasal spray every 4 hours for the next week.

Got a lot of house cleaning done this weekend. I even got the ladder and cleaned all the overhead fans in the house. I think next weekend I may take down and clean the curtains throughout the house.

My DVR is sure filling up. I've been recording shows but haven't felt like watching them lately. When I watch TV, I've been been binge watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix for the last couple weeks. It has 7 seasons and I'm caught up to season 5. Last night the new season of The Walking Dead started, so I'll definitely be watching that tonight. After watching that series, I'm definitely De-sensitized to zombies now. Lol

While I was running errands yesterday, I stopped in at Petco to check out their pet washing station to compare with the other pet store we took Cisco to last week. Turns out they no longer have one. Now they only have a grooming room where they have staff that will wash your pet. Not interested in that.

Jannie, those stools look great and comfortable. I just love your new kitchen! I showed it to my Dad last night and he likes it too. Ours needs to be redone so bad! I hope you are feeling better. Those shots sounds awful.

Isabella, sorry about he issue with the credit card. I've had this happen to me several times over the 5 years. Sounds like that concert was fun. I like pulled pork sandwiches too (I prefer pulled chicken though) but I like it with coleslaw that I put on the sandwich.

Debora, your dinner with friends sounds fun. It's so nice of you to help your family out with the dishes and laundry.

Anew, it sounds like you are getting a lot out of Gathered Table. What an ordeal to park that RV!

Better close now. Have a wonderful day everyone.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi everyone, I am still hurting on my feet and have realized one thing I did. I removed my cushioned mat from the kitchen because it was old and the edges were curled, so I was tripping on it and I couldn't get it clean anymore. I need to get a new cushion for the kitchen and that will help with the feet issue but we don't have them here so I need to order them online I guess. If I happen to go into big town anytime soon I will check there but it's usually quite expensive to buy them at the Bed Bath and Beyond. I also realize that I have to tippy toe it often when I am cooking in the kitchen to reach things and it causes me to use my foot in the position that causes the Plantar Fasciitis act up. I have all the symptoms of it although I haven't been diagnosed. I keep trying to remind myself to ask my husband for his help in getting things down from above.

What are the signs and symptoms of plantar fasciitis?

Pain on the bottom of your foot, especially first thing in the morning-(mine hurts 24/7)

Pain with prolonged standing, sitting, or walking-(yep).

A limp-(yep).

Redness, swelling, or warmth over the injured part of your foot-(yep).

Yes, towing and parking that huge RV is not fun and I usually do follow my husband in my truck when he is pulling the big RV. I did ride with him that day when my brakes failed and was his side driver.

My truck sounds much better with the new muffler and the tires make it ride much nicer. Did I say hubby fixed my brakes? I don't remember if I did but yes he bought the brake line and fluid and had my truck on the road in a short time. The brake line rusted through on one of it's bends because the fluid causes condensation to sit there. He will be replacing all the other lines I have just for safety's sake since my truck is an 01.

It turns out my tires had expanded some because they were so old but I don't drive much making it hard to realize just when new tires are needed, I didn't have very many miles on them and the tires just looked big. When we compared the new tires of the same brand and style to my old ones we could see a huge difference. Even the spare fits underneath the truck now, lol. My husband also replaced the frame that sits behind the front grate on my hood because it was rusted real good. Now that rattle is gone and I am quite happy with my great sounding truck again, funny how something you can't see causes many problems when things go awry.

I am going into another week of Gathered Table starting on Friday. My week begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday but I don't get a new week to plan until the Friday before and I don't care for that either. I think I would rather be starting on Wednesday when the new store ad comes out and it gives me more time to plan the meals than doing it Friday and shopping on Saturday. I am definitely a planner and need more time than that so I have been doing some planning using my cell phone note application so I can be a bit more prepared on Friday. I went though the freezer today and noted everything in there for meals and tomorrow I'll do the same with the pantry and make notes of what I can make meals with like the black beans and tuna I have in there.

This week should be a much cheaper week than normal because I have been buying ahead with the sales. For example, I was buying tuna pouches to replenish my pantry the other day and they had a buy one tuna pouch 3 ounce and get one free can of Bush's black beans I use two of those in my chili I make so I bought my usual of 10 pouches tuna. Hehe, I now have enough black beans for 5 recipes of chili, guess what's on the menu next week? I have everything needed except maybe a green bell pepper. I only need chicken because I have everything else in the freezer needed for next week.

I am also adding recipes so that takes time away but I still see the program as something that could be useful. It has been nice having everything I need for the week here and ready for all my menu recipes but I do find I need to buy more milk and water during the week. It is only two of us so I buy only enough milk to get us through a few days because if I buy more it seems to start turning before we can finish it.

I ordered my shelf for the little coffee bar because it was low on stock and decided I needed to at least get it so I wouldn't be without. The coffee bar isn't even on the radar yet, lol. The island is perfect in height so we will be working on the drawer this weekend for it. When I first started using the island I had to learn how to cut from a lower place and it was kind of strange not lifting my shoulders. Now I don't want to work from the counters because I really feel the lifting of my shoulders, lol. I found the clear drying polycrylic top coat I needed so my colors stay true and don't turn yellow like polyurethane does. I should be getting some more painting done soon.

My neighbors are at it again, my entire driveway was blocked last night at 8:00 when we were planning on a store run. It is amazing how much disrespect my neighbors have for others.

Isyvanek-It sure is good to know the bank caught the attempts to steal from it. I remember when we moved here from California to Texas, we had two cars to fill up all the way here and it wasn't until we hit Texas that the bank put a hold on our account. He called the bank at the gas station because we were declined and they said there were too many of the same purchases on the card and they were too similar to boot so he got it all straightened out and we were able to get gas and back on the road. We thought it was strange it took them so long to see the duplicates but we were glad they were at least looking out for us.

Jlhawki-I hope you are feeling better now, sorry to hear of your pain. I love your new kitchen stools and I like how well they match the new cabinets but I'd be tempted to paint the legs another color to make them pop against the cabinets and coordinate with the living space and kitchen space. That's just me and my husband would probably tell me no way, lol. If he did say no I'd probably sneak some seat cushions to give some color and then he'd just shake his head, lol. I'm crazy for color. :smile:

Isyvanek-The outdoor concert sounds nice, I miss being able to plop down at Balboa Park and listen at the big outdoor organ. My husband built numerous rock burritos in our yard before, they were a lot of hard work but it sure does help the flow of water go where you want it to. Are they using a good weed barrier around the whole thing?

Arobed-Each time I read about your days I think how busy a person you are and now I see a real pattern of you being a huge help to your family. I hope they all appreciate your efforts because you really do put them forth for them.

Sannferris-I love the story on the coloring pages and would love to find something like that here but we dont have any of those learning stores here. I used to buy things in California like that when I lived there and my kids were young. It sounds like you had a great outing too. I love it when the weather is nice for things like that.

It is sad to hear about the confusion John is going through and the frustration of needing to help him. That lost tool could be hanging right above your heads and you wouldn't see it because you are so used to it. If you wanted to I would try to help decipher those notes through messaging. Who knows maybe I can see where he is going with those notes.

Is this the tool you are looking for? Might be a different brand but it at least gives an idea what it looks like.

tigertool.com/product/heavy-duty-king-pin-press/

What was John's last job pulling an axle? Maybe it's attached to an axle waiting on a job. If so, you might find the tool somewhere near the area he last worked but you've probably already done that. It is frustrating not finding anything and we (us) should be so diligent to do an inventory of things in the garage. Wow, how amazing that would be but we also have it organized according to what goes where because the garage is a very small 1 car and only fits and MGB. I don't know how that passed as a garage when the house was built, lol.

Mygnsac-I am sure glad to hear that tooth is gone and the pain too. I'm interested to hear how things go with the implant since I am missing 4 teeth in major needed areas which makes chewing kind of hard. I think that's why I like smoothies. :smiley:

I hope you all have a great day today.

• anewstart22
    I finally found our parking enforcement code after living here almost two years and dealing with the idiots next door. Below describes the code and I would like to know what happens when that code is broken because the police don't seem to give a crud about any of it. Section (b) is the important part of our parking code on residential streets.

https://municode.com/library/tx/ingleside/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICICO_CH62TRVE

Sec. 62-64. - Parking vehicles on residential streets.

(a)

It is prohibited for anyone to park a vehicle, recreational vehicle, trailer, and/or utility trailer upon a city street longer than 72 consecutive hours. Moving the vehicle, recreational vehicle, trailer, and/or utility trailer but bringing it back to the same or substantially the same location within four hours after moving it shall not constitute a break in the period of parking for purposes of determining whether or not the vehicle, recreational vehicle, trailer, and/or utility trailer was parked in the same location longer than 72 consecutive hours. The vehicle, recreational vehicle, trailer, and/or utility trailer shall be considered to be parked in the same or substantially the same location if it is parked in front of the same property as it was originally parked in front of.

(b)

It is prohibited for anyone to park a vehicle, recreational vehicle, trailer, and/or utility trailer in such a way that it blocks, impedes or substantially interferes with the lawful use by vehicles of any public street, alley, right-of-way or other public property.

(Ord. No. 835, § 1, 6-25-02; Ord. No. 962, § 1, 1-8-08)[/i]
  • arobed53
    Well, it took me most of the day, thanks to my procrastination, to get ready for 4-H but I made it. I also ended up taking a 4-Her with me and then taking her home but she was also very helpful with carrying everything in. Installation had a cute program that used different kinds of pasta to represent the officers. We also got our electricity fixed too. I didn't like that he didn't let us know he was here - even though he gave us an approximate time - just shut the electricity off. I was glad the computer has a battery back-up cause I figured I'd have warning. Oh well. And now we know the oven not working is not the problem of the electricity - it's either the element or something more. So working on that.

Yesterday Ralph ended up taking two semi load of soybeans to town. So were lots of other people so that took care of his day from 10 am to 11 pm. I worked at home in the morning and then went to Good News Club. We only had 5 new kids but the keeping people quiet seemed to increase a lot more. From there I went straight to Lori's to stay with Emily. Lucy had volleyball . Since we don't have church tonight, I stayed until laundry was folded and dishes done and got to help Jeremiah some with his book report. I still got home before Ralph.

Today I've been working on stuff here. I spent some time making an invite for the junior high group that's getting ready to start and helped Ralph take the oven apart. I never get as much done as I want. But keep working. I'll leave in a bit to clean the Community House and then be back to see what more we can do. Supper will be reheated bean dip with fritos (cause that's what we have).

Sheryl, glad the evening went so well and John went along. The special coloring books were a big hit. And now you have the 21st to look forward too. Frustrating times of hunting for things. Hope they show up soon on their own. It seems like I keep thinking of places in my mind when I can't find something. I like how you tell John, it will show up. He's trying to still do a lot which is good but....

Marcie, glad the tooth is gone but you still have plenty to do to get the infection gone. That's a lot of days of antibiotics but you'll be glad to have the infection gone. So will you delete if the DVR gets too full. We just keep trying to keep up with ours. Glad you found a place when you can wash Cisco and it worked well. Just hope they'll keep it going.

Anew, yes, get a new mat. That would make a difference for you. Yea on moving forward with the island. I thought I had plantar fascitis - didn't have as many symptoms as you listed and didn't last long so I was thankful. If you have all that - ouch. Do you have good supportive shoes? Glad your truck is back in shape. With all you're learning, you may come up with your own was of planning meals. Taking advantage of the sales is very smart. Do you buy a special kind of milk. I mostly use our milk and I get a gallon and have it for a week or two with no problems. Very rude of your neighbors. What if you needed to get out. Can you call the cops out when it's happening and get any results?

Well, I need to head out in a few minutes so will let you go. It's a beautiful day here.
  • anewstart22
    edited October 2015
    Good early am everyone. I'm up for the long haul so I thought I would make tonight's dinner since we are having mushroom soup and salad. The soup is always better if it is able to meld the flavors in the refrigerator overnight so I'll get the soup made ahead this early morning and all I have to do tonight is make a salad.

We had the pork chops with apples and onions again for dinner last night (it's past midnight) and I served it with acorn squash. The acorn squash was very good but definitely not figure friendly or for diabetics either so it isn't something I will make very often.

The recipe called for cutting the acorn squash in half and removing seeds and strings. Then place them in a shallow pan flesh side up with two cups water in the pan. Then to the cavity of the acorn squash add 1 tbsp butter, three tablespoons of brown sugar and drizzle the squash with maple syrup. Cover and bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes. This is the first time I have ever had acorn squash that I know of and it was good. It was perfect with the apple mix and pork chop which I would have served a sweet potato instead. My husband enjoyed the combo while dipping bites of the pork chop into the sweet liquid. I'm not much for real sweet food but this was definitely up there in great flavor.

I also cooked up four sweet potatoes while the oven was going for the squash. We will have sweet potatoes on Friday and that leaves two more for Sunday or Monday dinner. We might be trying black bean chili with sweet potato chunks added. I have been seeing the recipe all around the internet and ran it by my hubby and he agreed to trying it. I decided I could just add some cooked sweet potato upon serving since the recipe online is quite close to what I make for my chili. That way if we don't like it we won't have an entire pan of chili we don't like to eat up, lol. The chili freezes real well so I am sure I will have some meals go into the freezer for later.

Arobed53-I will surely get a new kitchen mat and I do have great supportive shoes but it doesn't help much with the pain. One thing I have to remember is not to get on my tippy toes or it makes it 100 times worse and then I can't walk at all. I have always shopped the sales and made notes for dinner meals but I have never had an actual menu for each day of the week to shop for. This is where it is changing for me and allowing me to have what I need without sending hubby to the store during the week to get this or that because I am out of it.

This also saves money because I can send him in with a list of four items and he walks out with $50 spent and lots of things I don't need at least twice a week, lol. Sure most of those items can be used for the next week but then I have to decide with I am going to do with them just because he bought them :smiley:

For milk I buy the brand Central Market Organics which is a brand from HEB in Texas and the only grocery chain in my area. The milk tastes great and comes in gallon plastic jugs but I can't drink it, I tried but the plastic taste is horrible in all milk packaged in it.

centralmarket.com/about.aspx

The half gallon cartons have the best tasting milk I have ever had, I buy 2% and it just tastes like milk but the cost is higher at $3.38 per one half gallon. Horizon brand tastes like they have added sugar or something to it because it's too sweet so I avoid it at all costs and the Central Market brand is actually cheaper than Horizon. If they would just package more milk in cartons or glass I would have a much larger product line to choose from. It's just that darn plastic I can't stand the taste or smell of and my area is not a hot market area so you take what is available.

I only wish we had a Central Market Organics location here, I would shop there in a heartbeat but it's not the same Central Market branding you find on the west coast. Ours stands for Central Texas with locations all over the central Texas areas, and they have a few things I really do like to buy. I love their uncured bacon although it costs more but I don't buy bacon but about once per 2 months or even less than that so I justify it, lol. They have some tomato sauce in a glass jar I reuse later for leftover half and half and such because it's like a nice pouring bottle and it keeps the half and half really cold in the refrigerator. It seems to be colder than when in the carton at least to me and seems to last longer. It's also a better solution to using mason jars because this one I can pour from without making a mess. I've been looking into buying some glass jars to pour my milk into but I can't justify the cost of purchase plus the shipping for them. I buy their peanut butter because it's just peanuts and nothing more.

The police say they don't think there is an ordinance so I need to update and inform them of the one I found regarding blocking driveways. Maybe then they will take action and start ticketing people who are blocking the roadways. I'd sure love to see one of those cars hooked up to a tow truck some day.

Okay, so I have probably bored all of you with my very long post so I am going to close this one out. I hope everyone has a great day today.

• anewstart22
    edited October 2015
    Hello again, we made a run to big town today to pick up a small roll top desk that is perfect for the small room needed to share with guests or crafting things. I haven't made up my mind how to arrange the rooms. One will be office/craft storage and the other crafting/guest room. Or office/guest room and the other just my own crafting room. They are small rooms so I guess it will be whatever works best for the spaces I have, lol.

I was quite happy to have made soup early this am because we came home and all I needed to make was a salad. This kept us from eating out and spending money we didn't need to. We stopped at Petsmart to get some cat things and we also went to World Market to return the big metal and blue storage caddy because I did determine it was too big for my little coffee bar. I had thought about using it in the bathroom for rolled towels but it will be a long while before we even begin that project and didn't want it hanging around until then. I can only hope it is still available when I would like to use it down the road.

I took a look around World Market and found some great little bowls that work perfect for the coffee bar. One is a bowl that has a slanted edge which is perfect for a spoon rest because the spoon sits up at an angle instead of down across the plate. Less space is needed to hold dirty spoons. The other is a smallish white cereal bowl that will be perfect for trash like sweetener packets and used tea bags. They have a great return policy of 60 days with receipt and I came in under the wire of about 1 week to spare. I could have returned the metal caddy after 60 days but it would have been a store credit which would have been fine. I love World Market and I almost spent what I returned anyway, lol. I also found some little cast iron hot pads for my small cast iron griddles. Perfect!

I got these two things for the coffee bar. The first link is the slanted bowl but the price online is much higher for the 5.25" bowl. I only paid $2.99 for it.

worldmarket.com/product/slanted+serving+bowls%2C+set+of+2.do?

This link is for the bowl I bought to use for trash smalls like used tea bags and sweetener packets. The link is for a set of four but I bought only one for $2.99. I can't find this one singly online either and I am sure glad I found them in store because I was searching hard online for the right items to be used on the coffee bar.

worldmarket.com/product/coupe-cereal-bowl-set-of-4.do

I can't wait until my rack comes so I can check that out. We won't be able to hang it until we make the shelf for it because it's designed to be hung under a cabinet. I am sure glad I will have it when I am ready for it though. Now I just want to build the coffee bar cabinet but the island comes first.

I was reading the MFP threads and came across one with a link for budget recipes. It's great I have already found a few recipes I want to try on the site. Here is the link to one of the recipes, it's a breakfast casserole but it sure could work for dinner too.

budgetbytes.com/2009/10/southwest-breakfast-casserole/

Well tomorrow is a new day and I am looking forward to it. I hope you all have a great one too because I plan on it being a good one.

• anewstart22
    edited October 2015
    Annnnnnd! Bingo!

Free meal planning with a recipe clipper to save recipes from online and it looks to be very similar to Gathered Table but IT'S FREEEEEEEEE! I found it on the Budget Bytes website I posted above in a comment someone made in her FAQ. The gal who runs the site has a bachelors in Nutritional Science, LSU 2007.

Did I say FREE? Yep, now I have to spend some time over there and see if I can add my own recipes and to see how similar to Gathered Table it is. I see already that it gives you a shopping list as well as menu planning.

FREE! FREE! FREE! I am jumping for joy! FREE! FREE! FREE! :smiley::wink: :blush::smile:

Here is the link!

http://www.saymmm.com/recipe_clipper.php

Okay, Say Mmm is free to use for under 100 recipes and only $3 a month for unlimited recipes and additional premium features which I don't know what those are. I am hoping it means I can put my own recipes in because that would be so much more useful. One thing I did see on a video is those other lists I was looking for. I can have a list for pantry items and add them as I want to as well as replenish things as I want to. Update: Yes, I can add my own recipes.

Wow! Another Bingo!

http://www.saymmm.com/say_mmm_plus.php

See below for info from the link above

Get more for just 10 cents a day

Say Mmm has many free features to help you get dinner on the table without the hassle. And Say Mmm Plus has some extra features to let you do even more.

You can easily track grocery prices to estimate shopping budgets, find sales in the store, and know the best prices for groceries you buy often.

View a price list of best prices and compare prices over time and at different stores.

Count calories or track costs in your meal planning calendar and have daily totals calculated for you.

Also, with Say Mmm Plus there is no limit to the number of recipes you can save and organize (the regular Say Mmm service lets you store 100 recipes for free), and the ads that support the free version are not shown.

You can try Say Mmm Plus free for two weeks, and its only $3/month to continue. That's only 10 cents a day.

I can also see an entire month of menus on one page so that is definitely on of the other things I wanted to be able to do on Gathered Table but they don't have that option. It's one week at a time and I still don't have next weeks menu available to plan for my shopping on Saturday.

I can't find anything that says I can be private and not share my personal info if I open an account anywhere on the site yet. Update: I see that I can have a username on my account.

I have to take the time to look at all of this but I am trying to get as much info as possible to post before my 1 hour of editing is up, lol. I think I got it all, lol. I am now going to do a free two week trial and go from there because I have read the terms and privacy policies. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Now that you all had a great laugh and think I am the biggest nut in the world let me know what you think, lol.
  • cjdigsindirt
    cjdigsindirt Posts: 23 Member
    I think it sounds great and I'm going to look into it!
  • arobed53
    Cool day here - I even turned on the furnace. Hearing it run makes me warmer. We got the Community Building cleaned and with 4 of us, we did a couple of things that seldom get done. Then it was back to things at home. Thursday afternoon was another appointment for Ralph. He was happy to report that he feels better now that he's off whatever he was taking. One more appointment next week and he's done with it. That evening we went to the Heartland Pregnancy Care Center Banquet. We had never gone before. Delicious meal and good visiting along with a good speaker. We were home by 9 to so not a long evening.

Friday I went and walked and then came home and finished cleaning the house (sometimes I may get more done without such a detailed list. I'll have to think on that idea. Maybe I need more variety. At 9 I left for Panera's and met with 2 Flylady friends and ate lunch (at 11). Then I went on to another town for my normal errands. I went to Walmart (checked my steps on fitbit there), Julie's (to leave recycling), bank, Ext. Office, Dillons and Walgreens. I got home and the feed salesman was there so thinking they would be sitting at the dining room table, I parked in back and used the back door - getting more steps. I decided to check my fitbit and it was not there. Made me want to cry. I looked through the grass and around the car - taking things in and putting them away. Then the feed salesman asked me how I was and I said sad cause I'd lost my fitbit. Anyway, they left, I finished carrying stuff in and then I called everywhere I had been and left my name and number just in case. Awhile later I was headed to Lori's and Julie tried to call me. I was in a hilly area so the call kept getting dropped so I called her when I it was safe too and she had found my fitbit by her recycling bin. Evidently I didn't have it clipped on well but my I was happy. She'll give it back tomorrow so my steps didn't count today (and I didn't take as many I'm sure).

Figured out my oven element may or may not be the problem. When we took it out, another piece came out - I'm thinking we might have to replace the whole thing but just put everything in the oven till after the weekend since there wasn't time to mess with it. So our pizza this week was microwave style. Just had a thought - I could also use my toaster-oven - duh.

Friday night I went to Thomas' football game (bad loss) and then Lucy came home with me. We and 3 other 4-Hers helped make sandwiches for a place that helps homeless men mostly. This afternoon I got her to do her homework, take a bath and play while I made a salad and no bake cookies and worked on boxtops (they are turned in this week). Tonight we went to church as we're having a weekend prophecy conference. When we got home, we played spot jr, had a snack of banana, peanut butter and raisins and she's in bed now. Everyone will be here for dinner tomorrow so need to get my meat going and head for bed soon.

Marcie, are you feeling better since you're on the antibiotics?

Anew, yes, acorn squash does taste good that way. Your meals sound good and you're good at thinking it all through. The meal planning things is going so good for you. I enjoy hearing about it. That's a bummer that the plastic affects your taste. Glad you've got supportive shoes - just have to stay off your tippy toes - hard to remember than all the time. Cool on the roll top desk. The slanted bowl is pretty neat - will work nicely for you. Keep telling us what you learn on the meal planning. I like free too (although too much free and not enough people brought NM to an end). Keep checking it out. You might even get me to look it over. :)

Okay, off to start the meat and head for bed. Take care all.
  • anewstart22
    edited October 2015
    Hello everyone, we have been busy today with the "room". You know the one nobody wants to work on because it seems so overwhelming? Yep that is the office room that is loaded in boxes and boxes of miscellaneous stuff that I couldn't get to because it was just way too much stuff. We had a walkway to the desk and that was all but it isn't like hoarder's would do things. When we moved in my craft stuff went in there, the office stuff, books, etc. Everything was in moving boxes but they are too heavy for me to lift and too high to bring them down to my level so I could open them, lol. Then there is the actual craft room that's been hard to use because of the limited storage for crafting things. We built that shelving for the containers I was telling you about a few months ago but that isn't enough to organize since I need wall shelves and other things for storage.

Anyway we have removed everything from that room and my husband took out the carpet because it's not very clean and wasn't when we moved in. This house was a rental when we bought it and I don't think they cleaned the carpets so I want them all out of the house because they are very stained. Tonight I got my wish for no carpet in the office/guest room and closet, the carpet in the hallway and hall closet is gone too. This left a problem like a terrible looking concrete foundation but it came with a blessing too, we found no cracks in our foundation and that is a huge problem out here.

They seemed to paint the room without protecting the foundation and they glued the carpet padding to the floor. We think the carpet is original to the house built in 1998 and it showed poorly but that floor is terrible. I thought I would have something decent under the carpet to add a big room rug and just put the furniture back into. This is not the case so kitchen island and coffee bar costs are on hold because we have to put something into the room and hallway. We decided on some cheap laminate for now. If we like it we will do more for the rest of the house later but I am really set on wood look tile. My husband has scraped all the glue off the concrete and the rooms are ready for the laminate we'll buy tomorrow. We need to let it acclimate to the room until next weekend when he can install it. I sure wish I could just do the entire house and buy all we need but the finances are not there for it.

We decided on this from Lowe's and although it is cheap it gets some really good reviews, and it's all our budget can handle right now.

lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&productId=50047829&cId=detail

I worked on my menu and shopping list overnight while I couldn't sleep and left the house this morning at 6 am to shop instead of going to bed. I knew if I waited and went to sleep we would never get started on that room early enough and I probably wouldn't get the shopping done this weekend. So hubby the nice guy he is started on the room while I went shopping, then we both took what we had agreed would be naps around 10:30 am but it turned out we slept about 5 hours. He had also done some mowing while I was going through a few boxes in the room. I think we worked like a well oiled machine today even when we started back after a nap. :smiley:

cjdigsindirt-How do you like the website? I am having problems with it and haven't had a response from anyone at Say mmm. Although I don't want to pay $10 per month for the service at Gathered Table with the few issues I have with it I just might. If I do I can get a good collection of weekly menus and have all the shopping lists that go with them when I decide to cancel. One thing I have found is I can make some changes on Gathered Table with the shopping list. I find that when I add a dinner salad to the menu it puts balsamic salad dressing on the shopping list instead of the Raspberry vinaigrette I have on it. I found if I open the drop down for choices I can add the dressing I want on there so it should recognize it next week.

I'll keep trying to get someone on Say mmm to help me out but I can't get recipes to add to the weekly menu, I can't get recipes to import to the website and when I add them on my own using the website address of the recipe it only brings in the ingredients and not the instructions for the recipe. It does give you the website link the recipe is from so you can go there and follow the recipe but I find that to be disastrous because if a website shuts down or removes a recipe you are without the instructions to make it. I can add the recipe on my own by cutting and pasting but when I do and there is a Syntax error(meaning it doesn't agree with grammer) or something else in the recipe it doesn't want to accept. Then when I save the recipe it sends me to the edge of the universe with no way to get back and I have to start all over again. But it doesn't tell you it's not happy with you, lol.

I also have found that the ingredients change from teaspoons, tablespoon and cups to ounces. Every single one of my recipes did this so even 1 cup of chopped vegetables becomes ounces instead. I don't know anyone who does all their recipes by weighing the ingredients first especially herbs and spices. I have also found that some of the items on my recipe are put into the "you might have this ingredient" or "You need to buy this ingredient and it isn't helpful at all. It is far less helpful than Gathered Tables program.

Arobed53-My shoes are great but the pain is so hard to get under control and I find myself constantly on my tippy toes, lol. Ouch! That little compact roll top desk started it all. We now have a huge corner desk out of the room and for sale with the hopes of getting back some of the money we spent on the little desk and that was a bargain unto itself.

Say mmm is free for the limited 100 recipes program but if you want unlimited it is $3.00 per month and I wouldn't mind paying that if the program worked. Gathered Table has some issues but nothing like I am having at Say mmm and I think Gathered Tables charge of $10 per month is probably not so bad afterall, lol.

It has been very nice having that menu available with the ability to move away from it like I did tonight. The menu had leftovers on it that I took out of the freezer yesterday and it was meant to have mashed potatoes with it. I am hurting real bad with all we did today and my feet hurting that my husband agreed to tuna sandwiches for dinner. Isn't he great?

I hope you all have a great night and I doubly hope the weather will be as beautiful as it was today.

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Good Morning. Raining like crazy here. I love the sound of it on the roof, but it sure was messy going out to feed the animals. I had an appointment on Friday and did my grocery shopping on my way home. Stupid me...I didn't put bread and milk on my list and wouldn't you know, I forgot them. How could I forget the basics, bread and milk, well, I did! Now, do I want to try to go to the store in the rain? or use the last of the milk I have and make biscuits? I will probably make biscuits, I hate opening the car door in the rain unless absolutely necessary.

Friday of last week, when I was out, someone must have sideswiped me in one of the parking lots. I didn't notice it until I was home, but there was white paint and a few scratches on the front fender. No note or anything left on the car. Not much damage, maybe it was even just a shopping cart, not sure. Anyway, when I went out this past Friday, I bought some touch-up paint to deal with the small paint chips that didn't buff out. I also have two very small paint chips on the rear bumper from our California trip. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but within a mile from my sister's house, we got rear-ended by a young girl (looked like in her 20's) at a red light. Her license plate screws made two little indentations in my bumper. We all made sure we were fine physically and I said not to worry about and we all went on our way. No damage to her car and I didn't think my car was damaged enough to even take her name and number. I was able to keep my car pristine for 2 1/2 years before any damage. When I was in my 20's and got a new car, I got a dent in it the very first month I owned it.

Isabella, I just ordered War Room from Amazon. Carol highly recommended it and said I'd enjoy it. We'll have to compare notes after I watch it. I meant to mention long time ago that I also binged on the Downton Abbey dvd's. I probably watched at least 3 episodes at a time, I can't imagine now we'll have to wait a whole week between the episodes of the last season on tv.

So many comments I wanted to make as I read through all of your comments this week, but I didn't make notes this morning, and now I've forgotten all that I wanted to say. I'll have to browse back and reread and make notes, ha ha ha

I hope I can stay more up-to-date this week and get here every morning. John's been a handful lately and I don't get on the computer as much.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi Everyone, our bible study group women's retreat was this weekend. It is held up on Palomar Mountain in a nice lodge that sleeps 22. It was especially nice because when the retreat date was first announced this year I told our group I wouldn't be going because we can't afford it. My bible study teacher pulled me aside a couple of weeks later and told me that someone who wanted to remain anonymous had paid the $125 for me to go to the retreat. It as a great group (17 women) and the fellowship was very sweet. Of course we ate and snacked too much! A small group of us took a walk Saturday morning for about a mile and a half and saw some deer in the meadow. Weather was cooler in the high 60's to low 70's. Got home about noon and went to do my usual grocery shopping. I didn't have to buy as much though because we got to take home the left overs so I have 3 meals worth of pulled pork, 2 or 3 meals worth of chili, a loaf of sourdough bread, and a large tub of Fage Greek yogurt.

Debora, I agree with Anew, you really do a lot for and with your family. You are such a blessing! Hope you get your oven figured out soon and up and running again. Definitely a good idea to use the toaster oven in the meantime. Although when you have your family gatherings that isn't going to work very well. Looks like crockpot meals for a while. :)

Anew, yes, when they built the new drainage area they put down the new porous weed barrier. Great job on all the research you are doing on the meal planning sites. The laminate should look nice in the office room. Hope you can resume your kitchen projects again soon.

Marcie, They usually serve the pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw on top but I felt like having it on the side this time. Glad the offensive tooth is finally out. I think you should seriously consider an implant when the area is ready. This way your bite won't shift and you'll be able to continue chewing with no issues. Let us know what you decide. It's crazy trying to keep up with the DVR sometimes isn't it?!

Carla, sounds like you are doing really well with your eating and exercise. Still losing weight - great for you! So good to see you as always!

Sheryl, the first season of Downton abbey we watched the entire season in one weekend. Then season 2 and 3 we watched each in 1 week. Now we are trying to watch 3 episodes at a time of seasons 4 and 5 to stretch it out as much as possible before the new and final season starts. Yes, it will be hard to wait a whole week between each episode and the show will be sorely missed when it is over. Glad you had a nice visit with your friends.

The movie the War Room was excellent! I laughed, I cried (it is a 2 tissue movie). Let me know when you watch it and we'll compare notes as you said. Also, I keep forgetting to mention that a piece of plastic in the last season box broke a bit in shipping - honest we didn't do it! :neutral:

OK, gotta get going - hubby is waiting for me to come watch TV. Have a great week everyone!
  • anewstart22
    edited October 2015
    Hello everyone, it's been a busy day today. I did more research on flooring before we went to buy from Lowe's and there is a brand I have never heard of before that I think is really nice. These laminates have a waxed edge that forms a water resistant seal when they are placed together.

Some say for bathrooms and some don't mention it but I have found one which I like that's just $2.00 square foot and it is graded AC4 which is a good commercial rating. This link tells you about the technology and the two brands that make flooring that can go into bathrooms and kitchens. I think this will be what we install in the house when we do the entire thing.

http://www.bestlaminate.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-laminate-flooring-in-a-bathroom

We bought the laminate at Lowe's for the bedroom and hallway, it's cheap but it has an AC3 rating so I have some confidence in it's durability. We'll see how it stands up to a chair being rolled on it.

In our moving boxes and sorting things yesterday hubby found my foot ice packs which I promptly put in a plastic ziploc and into the freezer to use them last night. Oh boy was that a blessing and it helped but it also causes my feet to cramp if I happen to tighten my toes, lol.

Ahh well, it's a relief anyway and what I mean by my feet ice packs is these have a strap on them so I can wrap them around feet and secure them. I think they can be used on the top of the knee or an elbow as well. I have been telling my husband over and over for at least 18 months that I couldn't find my foot ice packs and he had no clue what I was talking about until he handed them to me yesterday and said, "here are your foot exercise weights". I've used them twice since, lol. I couldn't remember the name of them but now that he found them I looked them up. These are perfect for my feet because I can wrap them by laying my foot in the center and wrapping the sides up, then secure them to my feet. I do this while in bed of course so I can just lay down and delve into my foot comfort zone. I was telling him I needed two more so I could be using one set and have another set ready to go when I have to put the ones I just used back into the freezer. I am adding 2 of these to my Walmart basket wish list.

walmart.com/ip/Thermipaq-Therapeutic-Hot-Cold-Pad-6-X12-Reusable/10309654

This will go on my wish list with the other two. I bet it will be great for my neck and shoulder pain to get some relief from those headaches I get and I would probably use it hot.

walmart.com/ip/Bed-Buddy-Reusable-Hot-or-Cold-Body-Wrap/6537522?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=6537522&placement_id=irs-2-m3&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=950aa26a-b2e8-4d1a-b325-041cabbd5317&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=13970135&parent_anchor_item_id=13970135&guid=048e0eda-1150-47ed-9fb2-166448ed74a2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Sannferris-I love the sound of rain on the roof too. I used to freeze milk when I had a big family and bought 4 gallons at a time. I always had one available if I ran low late at night so I'd pop it in the refrigerator. I would be stuck just like you now if I forgot to buy the milk and bread. I sometimes think I should freeze a few cubes once in a while so I will have it available but I don't think I would remember I have the cubes available in the freezer, lol. I forgot I had frozen egg whites and had to toss them. How were the biscuits? I love biscuits but for the life of me I can't make a decent one and have no idea what I am doing wrong, lol. I'll blame the oven. :smiley: Sorry to hear about your car damage. :(

Isyvanek-I love Palomar Mountain Retreat, I've been there and it's a wonderful place to unwind. I'm glad you got to go. Alpine has a great retreat center too. I would be so happy to resume the kitchen island and coffee bar projects but money is out on that for a while. We did talk about finishing the patio chairs we put on hold last year to build those wedding memory boxes. The weather temp is perfect now for painting and we have at least 95% of the wood needed to finish the chairs already cut so it just needs a light sanding, primer and paint to complete. I think we'll need about four 2 x 4's for the parts needed on the last chair but at least we will have all the chairs done. That will leave the patio planters and the little tables to make. Some day the patio will be done too, all in a budgets time, lol.

Well tomorrow is another great day and hope it's a great one for you too.
  • anewstart22
    edited October 2015
    Good afternoon everyone, I was able to get a good rest and I'm rearing to go. I have to get dishes done since I didn't do them last night. Then to cook dinner which will be pretty simple. I received an email from Gathered Table and they have now introduced a couple of new apps for using their website on cell phones and tablets. I have always used it on my tablet for my recipes in the kitchen so I must have a super powered tablet or something. I had no idea they weren't set up for that, lol.

[url=" http://blog.gatheredtable.com/2015/10/15/introducing-the-gatheredtable-mobile-apps/ "] blog.gatheredtable.com/2015/10/15/introducing-the-gatheredtable-mobile-apps/ [/url]

More on my foot saga. My feet have always hurt even when I was a kid although nowhere near as bad as it is now and I always thought it was the arthritis but now that I have done some more digging on the subject I discover I have something called Morton's Foot. It's apparently uncommon in our population and it's the second toe which is longer than my big toe, well kind of. I have always been laughed at when people see my feet and tell my they are weird. I don't know, it's always been normal to me, lol. The link below explains Morton's Foot.

mortonstoe.com/

Hmm, so I did some more research and I found these and they will be on my buy first wish list along with some special shoes on the website too. I printed the PDF to find out what size I need and will have my husband help me with that before I purchase them. I am hoping to get some relief from my foot issues.

https://nwfootankle.com/correct-toes

Isyvanek-I meant to say that Pine Valley has a great retreat center not Alpine. They are so close to each other they may as well be the same towns, lol.

I hope you all have a great day today!

• cjdigsindirt
    Anewstart, I didn't spend very much time on the site yet. II still need to do that, it does look like it may take some time and I seem to be on the go lately. We got the garden almost ready to plant, compost is in now and the we need to get that dug in and plant.
  • cjdigsindirt
    Isyvanek, thank you! It's been a bit of a struggle getting started again but now I feel good and on track! I may go for a total of 20# and then that's it!