NSV's

Options

Replies

• parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the company softball team and just had our first practice. This is the first te I've played an organized sport in 20 years! I was running around the outfield chasing balls and not getting winded! I has a huge smile on my face because a year ago I couldn't do that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    lowcarbforhealth.com/2010/07/mosquito-repellant.html

forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-263427.html

It really has been discussed over the years. I will have to pay more attention when out to see how many bite me.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Re the mosquito thing - that would be awesome! We don't get loads of bugs here in northern ireland as it is mostly too cold, but when we go to warmer climes it's a real problem for me and my younger daughter (my husband and older daughter seem to be immune): we always joked we had "sweet blood", and in my case it is probably literally true. We are going to Sicily this summer and one of my worries was the bugs so we will see if being keto will help me (my daughter isn't keto) - although of course my other worry about going on holiday was staying keto while visiting my husband's friends and not eating carbs. I don't know how that will pan out without me being offensive.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You can always make the excuse that it's for "health reasons" and let them think a doctor told you to do it (if one didn't). I always tell friends who host us not to worry about feeding us, that we'll take care of ourselves.

Another NSV today: my feet were propped up much closer to me on the bench where I put my shoes on and tie them. I didn't even notice as it got harder and harder to pull my knee close to tie them, but today when my heel was only about six inches from my sit bone, man that felt good!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Today. People. Is a glorious day. I feel I've been rewarded for all my efforts!

Some of you may (or likely not) remember from some of my other posts that I've been really suffering with gERD and now with recently diagnosed asthma (which has been basically one on going attack since october last year but we've finally got it diagnosed). So needless to say it was not readily responding to treatments.

Well. I started walking last week (because the car was broke!) I had to drop it off and walk the 5km back then walk the 5km to go get it etc. I went for 3 walks with the dog yesterday and so today.... wait for it...

I ran. Woot! I completed the first session in my couch to 5k program. So I only ran a total of 8 minutes in one minutes spurts but this is HUGE! I took my regular 2 doses of ventalin 15 mins before as prescribed but when we got to the dog park (easier to just let the big guy run where he wants instead of on leash) I was still having symptoms so I took another two puffs and voila!!!! I ran. I actually.... ok, well, it looked like walking. but it FELT like running :) I used to run often and have done some triathlons and a few half marathons. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

It's supposed to rain the day after tomorrow (tomorrow is rest day of course) I don't think I've ever been so happy looking forward to running in the rain!
  • SRJennings
    SRJennings Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    Today. People. Is a glorious day. I feel I've been rewarded for all my efforts!

Some of you may (or likely not) remember from some of my other posts that I've been really suffering with gERD and now with recently diagnosed asthma (which has been basically one on going attack since october last year but we've finally got it diagnosed). So needless to say it was not readily responding to treatments.

Well. I started walking last week (because the car was broke!) I had to drop it off and walk the 5km back then walk the 5km to go get it etc. I went for 3 walks with the dog yesterday and so today.... wait for it...

I ran. Woot! I completed the first session in my couch to 5k program. So I only ran a total of 8 minutes in one minutes spurts but this is HUGE! I took my regular 2 doses of ventalin 15 mins before as prescribed but when we got to the dog park (easier to just let the big guy run where he wants instead of on leash) I was still having symptoms so I took another two puffs and voila!!!! I ran. I actually.... ok, well, it looked like walking. but it FELT like running :) I used to run often and have done some triathlons and a few half marathons. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

It's supposed to rain the day after tomorrow (tomorrow is rest day of course) I don't think I've ever been so happy looking forward to running in the rain!

This is definitely glorious!!!!!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @gsp90x, wonderful nsv!! Good for you!!

My newest nsv is the fact that I rode in a car for a total of 11 hours in less than 36 hours, and walked a few miles with large hills, and I'm able to be here visiting with all of you! Before this woe I wouldn't have even made the trip because of the pain this would produce. I'm sore, but it's easily ignored!!
  • CyTottleben
    CyTottleben Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My biggest NSVs are going from shooting 70 units of insulin a day to maybe 15 a WEEK....and gaining some body confidence. I've always been a big girl, but was athletic and strong...but the past 15 years not so much. I put in 10 miles of walking a day between work (retail manager) and the miles I do after work, can run some of it, but am just much more comfortable in the way I step and attack the ground in front of me. At times I can feel that old softball player coming out for a visit. I love LCHF. Best decision I've made.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I went to Kohls on Saturday to pick up some sandals for my 3-year-old and find something cute for myself to wear to my sister-in-law's baby shower that evening.... and every time I passed a mirror I'd glance at myself. For the first time in a few years I saw myself and thought, "Hey, that lady in the mirror isn't a fat blob. She's thick and curvy but not fat!" I felt halfway normal. It was awesome. :)
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Son made my morning BPC for me instead of Mother's Day pancakes! And husband asked if him eating ice cream would bother me. Woo hoo they are actually noticing what I'm doing.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I went to Kohls on Saturday to pick up some sandals for my 3-year-old and find something cute for myself to wear to my sister-in-law's baby shower that evening.... and every time I passed a mirror I'd glance at myself. For the first time in a few years I saw myself and thought, "Hey, that lady in the mirror isn't a fat blob. She's thick and curvy but not fat!" I felt halfway normal. It was awesome. :)

That's how I feel - I feel halfway normal now. I am not the "fattest person in the room", I am still visibly overweight (ahem, still obese for another 13 lbs), but I feel like I blend in better and I don't hate myself so much when I look in the mirror. It is a great feeling!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I am liking what I see in the mirror! I am so happy with this woe!!
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, everyone, these are great!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wish this thread for sure had a like button, or a way-to-go button! I like reading this thread. I find it really encouraging!!

I have another NSV already!

so, I ran for the first time about a week ago. Well.
    Yesterday First of all I got up at 6:30 on my own. Just wasn't tired. That's unheard of! Then I took the dog for a big ol walk so the beast could sleep. Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day as I ran the day before, but the Beast wanted to run to the stores. Literally. (It's about 4km from our house). So I skipped rest day and did my couch to 5k run and we walked the rest of the way. Walked to get the groceires and everything else. In total about 4 hrs of walking and for the day I figure at least 12km!! Then we got home, did some meditation and THEN some partner yoga! ME! Doing yoga! Ha! And it was fun. THEN we cooked and cooked and had awesome home made jamaican jerk chicken and "bob marley" cockatilas. Ok, *I* didn't have the drink, he did, but I had fun making it!

Wow! What an amazing day!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    That sounds fabulous ! I'm pressing the imaginary "like" button now !
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    gsp90x, that sounds like such a great day!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Like* here too!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Got another!

Today I went to Kohl's to hopefully try on the new Minnie Mouse collection dress. I wanted it in white but knew I'd have to order it online. No way was I going to look good in the red version! I got there, the dresses were right up front. Seeing that the online reviews said the bodice was very snug, I grabbed the 8 and 10, expecting I'd have to order the white dress in a 10 (I almost grabbed the 12 but I could see that would be too big).

Got in the dressing room, and the size 8 slipped right into place and fit beautifully! Not too tight at all! I wouldn't even have described it as snug!

Not only that? But that red? I totally owned it. Bought the size 8 in red and got a pair of ballet flats to wear with it!

Now I'm worried that this won't still fit for our Disney trip, so I'm going to order the white in a size 6. :D
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a migraine since I started eating keto. 50 weeks. I used to get them roughly once a month and they laid me out for up to 3 days at a time. Even if a migraine only lasted 12 hours (unlikely) it would feel like recovering from a hangover or flu for at least a day after. I tried every medication under the sun. The only ones that helped the pain basically knocked me out so I was still stuck in bed.

I'd keep eating this way just for that alone.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone...just stunned! I love this thread so much.