NSV's

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I went to Kohls on Saturday to pick up some sandals for my 3-year-old and find something cute for myself to wear to my sister-in-law's baby shower that evening.... and every time I passed a mirror I'd glance at myself. For the first time in a few years I saw myself and thought, "Hey, that lady in the mirror isn't a fat blob. She's thick and curvy but not fat!" I felt halfway normal. It was awesome. :)

That's how I feel - I feel halfway normal now. I am not the "fattest person in the room", I am still visibly overweight (ahem, still obese for another 13 lbs), but I feel like I blend in better and I don't hate myself so much when I look in the mirror. It is a great feeling!

I'm obese for another 13lbs, but am definitely no longer the fattest person in any given situation!
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a size 24 and 26 for the last 6 years since the last time I lost weight, and that time only lasted for a very short period of time. I only bought a couple of clothing items since loosing weight, and they run 1x-3x in sizes, so I wasn't sure what size I actually wear. Last time I was at my moms house I asked my little sister if I could try on a pair of her pants to see what size I could get into. I was able to get in her size 16 jeans!!!! In high school I was a size 14, I'm almost there!!!!
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Love reading everyone else's. I'll be happy when I have something I can post here.
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I wore shorts out and about today with the fam. It's a holiday here today. My husband took pictures of us with his new tripod. I like how I look!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    For the last few days I'm able to bend over and tie my shoes and still breath...
    And! I just got back from a road trip and left my anti-snore pillow at a motel. Now I find that even sleeping with a normal pillow I am not snoring, I don't wake with sore throats or headaches. Sweet!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I wore shorts out and about today with the fam. It's a holiday here today. My husband took pictures of us with his new tripod. I like how I look!

That's fantastic!!! Liking how you look, especially in photos, is a huge victory!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    For the last few days I'm able to bend over and tie my shoes and still breath...
    And! I just got back from a road trip and left my anti-snore pillow at a motel. Now I find that even sleeping with a normal pillow I am not snoring, I don't wake with sore throats or headaches. Sweet!

What is an anti-snore pillow?! I think I need this...
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    It was a shaped pillow with the center high to keep your neck straight and channels underneath to all for good circulation in your arms. They don't make them anymore... There are other types out there however I haven't tried them.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I have a memory foam pillow, but it really doesn't help this... I hate looking for snoring remedies because they affect my sleep negatively...as does the snoring... sigh
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    Well, keep doing what you are doing, as the number one way to prevent snoring is to lose body fat. :)
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I took a picture of myself showing my belly at the gym. I actually liked what I saw, and posted it to my IG account. While I've worn bikinis in the past, I never let pictures get taken of me in them.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Have you snorers been evaluated for sleep apnea? It's a killer, and it's easy to fix.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Have you snorers been evaluated for sleep apnea? It's a killer, and it's easy to fix.

It's actually really NOT an easy fix, at all. Yes, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea back in 2009 and treated for it for years. But when I lost a good chunk of weight, I needed to adjust the machine's pressure dramatically, and they said they would not continue to adjust it without another sleep study, which I couldn't afford. It is far less problematic than it used to be, but I have atrocious year-round nasal allergies that compound the issue, so I'm forced to use homeopathic type remedies. Whatever "fixes" there are for it are NOT anywhere near CHEAP, and definitely are not easy. My bloodwork results show that it may not even been an issue anymore, but of course I can't afford to retest (over $1000 out of pocket), so I'll just have to go on faith for now.
  • wabmester
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CPAP is the easy fix. They have APAP machines that will auto-adjust to your level, even as you lose weight. Your existing prescription may cover it, but you can ask your doc to just write you an Rx without a re-evaluation. The sleep centers and med techs are a huge profit center for them, but the machines themselves are relatively cheap (especially for the level of relief they provide).
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CPAP is the easy fix. They have APAP machines that will auto-adjust to your level, even as you lose weight. Your existing prescription may cover it, but you can ask your doc to just write you an Rx without a re-evaluation. The sleep centers and med techs are a huge profit center for them, but the machines themselves are relatively cheap (especially for the level of relief they provide).

I'm glad that is true where you are. Since my issue is old, they will not write a new prescription. I can't even afford a $20 copay for a doctor appointment, so I can't afford a new machine. Period. Insurance only covers part of the cost, and even less of the supplies, so I couldn't afford the bits and bobs to go with it. And trust me, even with daily cleaning and weekly deep cleaning, per factory instructions, I had my previous machine give me sinus infections and such from pushing germs and dust through my system. It was not easy to sleep with in general, and anyone sleeping with/near you can't tolerate it either (not a major concern, obviously)...

I suppose I could quit my job and live off welfare and a government insurance program, like social security. That would be about the only way I could get this stuff paid for, but then I wouldn't be able to afford anything else. I'm not meaning to be hateful, but for someone struggling financially (I won't go into details for the sake of everyone's boredom, etc.), the suggestions you make above simply are NOT AN OPTION. I wish it were, but I've explored these options in the past, and all options, but essentially, I make too much money to get help with anything and not enough money to live...
  • wabmester
    Options
    Gotcha. Lack of money is no fun, but I don't want to turn anybody off to the idea. The new machines are smart, quiet, and portable. And they can vastly improve your health.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Gotcha. Lack of money is no fun, but I don't want to turn anybody off to the idea. The new machines are smart, quiet, and portable. And they can vastly improve your health.

No, don't get me wrong, sincerely. Mine was smart, quiet, and portable. It was also 5-7 years ago when I started using it, I was married, had two incomes, and all that. Then the supply company messed up some billing and I ended up owing a bunch. Then it need to be adjusted, and both they and my doctor refused. I'm sure new technology is more intuitive...

I just tend to feel insulted when people say things like "cheap" and "easy," because let's be honest, not much medically is ever either... I wish I lived somewhere more health-care friendly, but apparently Oklahoma is NOT that place.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Wanted to share a mental NSV from this week. I've been under a ridiculous amount of stress for quite a while now, and I don't know how I don't have cortisol and other major stress related issues, per se, but I wanted to focus on this.

I've had a few positively flip out moments, where the scale keeps going up (usually on days I haven't slept as well, as a post-note), and all manner of annoyance, and so I've had that thought of just wanting to give up... But rarely has giving up my WOE crossed my mind, and the few times it has, either the thought passed just as quickly, or I looked at a food my stress center claimed to "want" and almost laughed at myself because the pull isn't there, and it just isn't worth the heck... It was a heck of a realization that I don't consider it something "changeable," that really in a few short months, this WOE/WOL has become a part of this me.

I thought about changing physical activity, I though about meditation and yoga, and I even thought about an anti-anxiety medication until things become more manageable, but I didn't think about doing anything other than eating a bunch of bacon, because I knew the sweet-craving-impulse in my head wasn't real.

It was a positively insane moment for me...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    My older Remstar CPAP can be adjusted by the end user. That may not be the case with all CPAP machines but one can google to learn. There are CPAP forums just like there is MFP.

I agree sleep apnea is a killer that will seriously take one out if not addressed.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I wear scrubs at work(Not very figure flattering!!)and I pulled my shirt up slightly to see if there was a bruise on my hip and one of my co-workers said"look how tiny you are!" great feeling