Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @elise4270 what a frustrating day! Sounds like you needed the nap!

@ddmom0811 I hope the siblings acclimatise quickly lol. My girls never truly got on well till they were 3 and 5. DH and I joke it was the one good thing about lockdown, it forced the girls to play together and they became best friends. It's sweet now, the are siblings who love and hate eachother.

My day yesterday did not go well. The student did not do great at her test, but I'm doing the other students test before I decide if I pass or fail her. The test was about managing the department and she didn't do great. But we've had new systems in the last year so I need to see if this is systemic so the way they've been taught, or if it's just that student. Will see today. Consequently she was very upset yesterday afternoon, frustrated more than anything.

And its Friday wooo hoo. Mum is here for a week tomorrow, I can't wait. It will be interesting cause mum means a lot of junk food and eating out. But I'm hoping lots of activities with the kids will help balance that out.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @Avidkeo As a student it is unverving when you have to demonstrate an ability. Poor girl, I get it- I can get seriously nervous and forget everything in record time.

ugh... I have 2 assignments to do because I missed today. Each assingment is like 8 hours of my time. I also have to write an essay as to why I am such a do-do bird and was unprepared and how I will remedy it. LOL! Lord, I am never going to get this ASL assignment done, and it is a requirement or automatically fail. no pressure.

I enjoyed my nap with Beanie and Beary.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,354 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Elise4270 Sorry about being dismissed from clinical. Can you put your ID in your car somewhere, so it won't be forgotten? Hope you got your other work done. Glad you got in a nap, and hope that helped. Having to write an essay as to why you forgot your badge seems petty (not the right word) to me. You aren't some teenager who is irresponsible. Sometimes, things just happen. It reminds me of when I was in high school. As a little background, I have figured out that I am slightly dyslexic. Numbers get confused and I really have a hard time with b's, d's, g's, q's and cursive f's. As a freshman, I wrote my f's like q's. My history teacher gave me an assignment to write a page of f's. I was sooooooo mad. I felt like she was treating me like a 2nd grader. But, I was also compliant, and didn't want to just NOT to the assignment. So, I wrote out a 2 page story about Fifty five fine fathers from Finland. (Yes, I still remember at least that part of it.) She thought it was great. Anyway, good luck with everything.
  • Avidkeo
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo As a student it is unverving when you have to demonstrate an ability. Poor girl, I get it- I can get seriously nervous and forget everything in record time.

Yeah I remember. Its only been 8 years since I qualified, and I remember these tests vividly. I don't like failing they, but then there is no point passing if they aren't actually ready. I feel so sorry for them, nerves can really get the best of anyone.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @elise4270 sorry you got dismissed and have to write an essay....kinda agree with @quilteryoyo ...Crap happens and it's not like your a repeat offender naughty child....Like the idea of leaving it hanging in the car. That's where I keep my collection of masks....

@Avidkeo I love that they are now friends. I come from 6...I was 4th. My closest in age sister and I were always stuck living together since we were same sex and closest in age....which made her really mad. We did not really get along until we were adults. All good now. Although I feel closest to my eldest sister - we share the same wacky sense of humor.

Hope the student gets her stuff together but you are doing her a favor by not passing her until she is ready....I am sure you know that....even if she does not.

@RunsOnEspresso I stopped tracking food when I ramped up the workouts but that has lead to me not eating as well.....I need to start tracking again so I can be aware of my macros and get more protein.
  • Elise4270
    @Elise4270 Sorry about being dismissed from clinical. Can you put your ID in your car somewhere, so it won't be forgotten? Hope you got your other work done. Glad you got in a nap, and hope that helped. Having to write an essay as to why you forgot your badge seems petty (not the right word) to me. You aren't some teenager who is irresponsible. Sometimes, things just happen. It reminds me of when I was in high school. As a little background, I have figured out that I am slightly dyslexic. Numbers get confused and I really have a hard time with b's, d's, g's, q's and cursive f's. As a freshman, I wrote my f's like q's. My history teacher gave me an assignment to write a page of f's. I was sooooooo mad. I felt like she was treating me like a 2nd grader. But, I was also compliant, and didn't want to just NOT to the assignment. So, I wrote out a 2 page story about Fifty five fine fathers from Finland. (Yes, I still remember at least that part of it.) She thought it was great. Anyway, good luck with everything.

Honestly, when I took anatomy and physiology I wrote out the words I needed to learn to spell like a second grader, over and over, making stories about each word relating to the spelling. I can't spell at all. I mean it's horrible. New words are fine, just the growing up words that everyone already knows. Like yesterday I was studying and tried to spell sickle, I tried all sorts of combinations and finally gave up at cicyle... My oldest is dyslexic. It can be difficult to overcome.

I'm ok being dismissed. I know the rules. I like rules and happily embrace them, even if I failed to adhere to them. I ordered a bag, cross body purse like thing today to designate as my clinical bag. Everything will stay in it. I decided at the last minute that I didn't need the bag I put everything in the night before. Grabbed everything out of it but the ID. haha! @quilteryoyo I haven't even started the assignments I was sentenced with. They'll be long and will probably take 2 days to do. I am still trying to get this week done. I have until thursday 630AM.

@Avidkeo Yes, I agree. Remediation is better than passing on when you aren't ready.

@bearly63 Yes I am the naughty kid. LOL! So many other have been written up, I am not concerned over it. I bet 80% of us will be written up before the programme is done. I am sure it is all a lesson in disapline and concenquences. If your nurse can't remember her work badge, how can you be sure she checked the meds s/he's about to give you?
  • Avidkeo
    Whew. Tired. And I'm on call.
    Second student passed. Had to fail the first one. She was very disappointed, hopefully she understood. We are all on holiday for a week now, so hopefully it will be better when we get back. I'm on holiday now. We'll mostly, am on call for the weekend. Already had a call out and it's not even 9pm hahaha.

Have had a good week food wise. Stuck to plan yay. Did my exercise as planned. Happy with that.

This week I'm aiming for maintenance, mums here so....
  • quilteryoyo
    @Elise4270 I'm a horrible speller too. I think it is funny when I spell so badly that spell checker can't figure out what I'm trying to say. LOL The one word I can't ever seem to spell correctly the first time is definitely. I try to spell it "definately." Glad you are ok with being dismissed and understand the reasoning. Glad you are getting a "clinical bag" to help you keep up with everything you need.

@Avidkeo Glad the second student passed. Hope the first one understands. (Please remind me again what you are teaching.) Have fun with your mum. I know she will enjoy spending time with you and your girls.

I did NOT get good news yesterday. My aneurysm (first time I've spelled that correctly), has grown and is now to the point that we know it will need to be fixed. The doctor and PA suggested doing another CT in 3 months and then deciding. That is what we scheduled yesterday. But, they also gave me an option to just go ahead and get it fixed if I am going to be too worried about it bursting before then. So, I am going to spend the weekend going over the options and the pros and cons of both decisions (that's the engineer in me), talking to friends and family, and making a decision. Mom and dad think I should go ahead and have it done....mostly because if I wait until January the weather could be a factor in a lot of ways. Right now, before the introspection, I am thinking about going ahead and having it done toward the end of October. That would give me time to get some things accomplished, like making a will (something I have been meaning to do for12 years), making arrangements for someone to keep Tippy for a couple of weeks, freezing some healthy meals that I can easily heat up or add to, etc.

The aneurysm is 5 cm. The PA said that for some people, that might actually be normal, but since I'm such a petite lady that's pretty big. Okay. First time in my life I've been called petite and wouldn't you know it was not necessarily a good thing. LOL Then, when talking about the option to wait 3 months, he said, "If you were my mother sitting here, that is what I would recommend for her to do." What? Do I really look old enough to be your mother? I know he was trying to be reassuring, and I really appreciate that, but still. :smirk:

The PA is a runner and has run some ultras. So, he is all about me continuing to run for now and said that I would be able to walk a lot after the procedure is done. Just won't be able to run for 6 - 8 weeks, until the sternum is completely healed.

I'll let you all know what I decide. If you have any input, I will take it and put it in my decision making process. I do consider you all my friends and know that you want what is best for me.
  • Elise4270
    @quilteryoyo I want you to fix it asap. I've become rather attached to you. (insert sappy sentiments). The weather can be a factor, nothing worse than trying to make appointments, and the roads are bad adding stress to an already stressful situation. There is the concern that like @shanaber it might become complicated or not as straight forward as one would hope. I should pop over and see if shes ok.

I've been stalling today. You know when you have 100 things to do and you spend 2 hours organizing or cleaning or finally washing that shower curtain that needed it 2 months ago? I'd used Google drive for so long and it seems Microsoft has taken notes from Apple and will not sync across any longer. I've been collecting Alex photos and memories thus using it with intention. I gave into using Microsoft One Drive and have been exploring features and syncing it to my phone. It appears seamless. I hate to admit I kinda like Microshit now and I even paid for the increased storage. LOL! Toys and distractions.
  • Avidkeo
    @quilteryoyo I am the clinical tutor for radiography students - so when they are on placement.

My 2c, Id fix it sooner. A concern would be if it got bigger, then the walls would be thinner when they fix it later, and actually would have more risk of rupture. Generally if your drs suggest fix now as an option, take it.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    Hi Everyone - sorry I have been so absent, just lots going on and me wanting to get to bed at a reasonable hour. Every time I have thought I could post I have gotten interrupted and not gotten back here until 10:30 or 11 and then I just want to go to bed.
    @ddmom0811 - congratulations on the new grand baby! I think older siblings love little siblings until they start moving and getting into the older one's things. At least that has been my experience.
    @bearly63 - I was always told the HRT was bad for me because of the breast cancer risk, but then I have heard it is good for the heart attack risk so if you have both in your family what do you do then? Are there other benefits? Does it provide benefit for osteoporosis too?
    So excited for your DD!! When will she know if she has been accepted? Would she be starting this October or next?
    @quilteryoyo - I agree on the ocular migraines - I get the same thing as a precursor to a full migraine. Usually if I lie down right away in a quiet room and close my eyes (can still see the weird lights) it helps to avert the full on migraine.
    @elise4270 - I wish I had that view from my house! The green grass looks beautiful! The driveway looks great, I hope they come back to do the rest too.
    I guess the split pea soup could be high in calories. I use a ham bone in mine which drives up some of the fat and calories - it is around 300 I a cup.
    Sorry about all the extra work they are having you do for getting dismissed from your clinical round. It does seem like busy work but I suppose it is meant to encourage you to be more organized and prepared. I love the idea of having a 'clinical bag' that has everything you need and is always ready.
    I am an Apple bigot these days and everything synchs everywhere seamlessly all the time, except when it doesn't. Usually that is after they have an update and there is some bug. I had that this week with the latest release of iPhone and Apple Watch OS. So many problems! I finally went to the Apple support site and was receive to see there were thousands of others with the same/similar issues and today there is an update available for the phone.
    The thing I don't like about Microsoft (I have used Microsoft for ever in business and personal and even have the Office Suite for MAC) is that they are now forcing you to go to a subscription based service which is considerably more expensive than just buying the new version if you need to when the old one is no longer supported. I have 2 actually licenses I purchased when I was working through the @home program, 1 for Windows and 1 for MAC - they were $10 each. I suppose at some point I will need to upgrade but I see no point of paying at least that much/month.
    @avidkeo - I am sorry about your student. Hope she sees it as a learning experience and either figures out what she didn't understand or asks for help with the material. Enjoy your mom's visit. Don't stress about the food, just enjoy your time with her.
  • shanaber
    So why the heck does MFP have an edit button when it won't let you save the changes? So frustrating...

I wanted to edit my post to say:
    @quilteryoyo like @elise4270 - I am rather attached to you too and would vote for getting the aneurysm fixed sooner rather than later. I have no experience but know that I would be so worried all the time otherwise.
  • Elise4270
    @shanaber I can edit MFP from my android phone but not from the web site on the laptop. I haven't tried the iPad- in fact, I can't seem to locate it at the moment. I get the expense with microsoft. I sprung for the 7$ a month but may do the 70/year. Dh pays for extra google storage and I have no idea why. He keeps every picture he's ever taken, which was nice when I needed Alex stuff. I just saved everything to either or both drive and deleted it off my phone. 600 photos gone off of it, wow! lots of cats. I have a free MS office package with the school. So that's nice, It was just limited in cloud storage, which was only 2$ a month. I did make use of the integrated to-do list rather than my planner today. I am unsure which one will win out. I futzed with so much technology today...

I've spent "a lot" of money the last few days on amazon; books, bag, more books, vitamins, more vitamins, just whatever I darn well fancy. DH suggested I make and use my own Amazon profile, surely that's because it keeps alerting me to all his purchases and he cringes every time he orders something and I get a notification on my watch and glare at him. I think I have something coming every day for 3 days now and if I can think of anything else, I shall buy it.

I ate too much pizza. There is no meat in the split pea soup, just veggies. which I should eat tomorrow but DD made pork tenderloin, but DH and I aren't too keen on pork, thus the pizza.

DD says her boy toy may come over tomorrow. She told him that she didn't see it going anywhere and he became sweet and clingy. I said good lord, you better ditch that one quick. I won't bother cleaning the house any more than usual if that's the case.

Now a well deserved netflix break, if I can find that ipad.
  • shanaber
    @elise4270 - I go through phases of not buying anything and then all of a sudden it seems like packages are coming every day.
    Technology can consume hours if not days. I was having problems with my phone and watch I spent nearly a full day searching and trying to figure out what was wrong.
    I also have extended storage on my Apple iCloud for all of my pictures - almost 9,000 over many years - yikes! But it is only $3/month and I also store documents and other things there too.

I finally got DDs book finished! We took it over to the hotel so Hilde could look through it. She spent over two hours pouring over, studying each page. I know it brings back a lot of memories for her too. Dh is going to take pictures of each page so we will have a digital copy and then we will mail it off to her. There is a part of me that doesn't want to part with it. I hope she enjoys it.

• quilteryoyo
    On my laptop, I can't edit MFP when I first post something on this thread. I can on the running thread. But, if I reload the page, I can edit my post here. It's weird.

@shanaber I think I missed the post about doing a book for DD. Is it memories from her childhood?
  • Elise4270
    @shanaber I think I missed the DD book too. Can you keep a digital copy for yourself?

@quilteryoyo I'll have to try the refresh trick, I know it worked in the past, but I can't seem to get it to work now. On my ipad I cant even get to the community. It logs me out consistently and there are lots of adds. MFP needs better help I think.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Pretty much all computer programs seem to be going to subscription-based. Adobe does it with all of their editing software. It is nice because you get all the updates as they happen instead of having to purchase expensive software every few years.
  • shanaber
    I started the book years ago basically compiling pictures from when I was pregnant through all the birthdays, Christmases and school events, swimming and other adventures. It only goes out 10 years but there are around 4-5 pages per year depending on what was going on. Dh had issues trying to take digital pictures of each page so instead I am scanning them which is working out ok for the most part. It will be nice to have a digital copy that we can look at from time to time.
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber That sounds like a great project. I'm sure DD will cherish it.
  • Elise4270
    The bench was set yesterday so I drug Eric out there this evening to have a look at it. DD mentioned that the ants made a nest in a cloth wreath that her dad left out. So I retrieved it. Fire ants galore. I noticed a sink hole. Hmm. Funny. Appears someone might have dug there. We've had enough rain I don't think it's finally settled. DH agreed. Dasterdly plots afoot! Haha get it? Plots? A-foot? The hole is at the foot, marker is at the foot.

Tacos for dinner. Weight is steadily 0.5-1 pound from "oh no! Do something!"