Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    amkita wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

As always I am super jealous of you.

you'll be biking soon! 🚲

I haven't been on a bike in years. I wonder if riding a bike is like riding a bike.

I also keep wondering if I have time to ride this year after I am cleared and before the weather turns really cold. I may need to hit you up for some secondhand bike buying guidance.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    amkita wrote: »

As always I am super jealous of you.

you'll be biking soon! 🚲

I haven't been on a bike in years. I wonder if riding a bike is like riding a bike.

I also keep wondering if I have time to ride this year after I am cleared and before the weather turns really cold. I may need to hit you up for some secondhand bike buying guidance.

It pretty much is, I started cycling in the Summer after not cycling for 23 years (I was 13 the last time I had a bike). Admittedly I have slightly cheated with a e-bike as it's quite hilly where I live and the roads are pretty narrow so need to be up the hills quickly if I want to survive the crazy Cork traffic but I only needed to engage the motor when going up the steep hills :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Daily goals this week:

> 8000 Steps per day :)Weds - 12503
    > 7 Hours sleep per day :)Weds - To bed at 11:15pm/Up at 7:45am
    > Better sleep hygiene :)Weds - No phone before bed, did meditation & yoga too
    > Meditation :)Weds - following a guided meditation course on stress relief
    > Gratitude Journal :)Weds - Done
    > Stop giving in to binge trigger foods - no pizza, no crisps, no chocolate bars and no cheese outside of what's in recipes for meals :)Weds - No trigger foods

Yesterday was a good day. Also got one of my two strength training sessions in and my third yoga session in (some of my weekly goals). Probably be a bit lower on steps today as I took a taxi in, wasn't feeling to great this morning, but I plan to go for a walk or use the work gym treadmill for walking if the weather is rubbish to make up for it.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies This summer I rode my bike for the first time in about 9 years. I felt a little unsteady at first, but that passed pretty quickly, by my 3rd ride or so I was feeling pretty confident again.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    when I started riding this summer, I hadn't ridden in several years. I'd say yeah, the motor memory is there, but initially there's a lot of nervousness especially with turns, stopping, and downhill. uphill didn't bother me so much because worse case I could get off and walk up--if people want to judge me, bah! downhill and stopping made me nervous due to fear of falling or hitting a bump or... all sorts of worries. and initially downhill was especially scary because extra weight means increased speed. I think the more riding I got in, the more comfortable I felt about those things.

and... because I had to push harder to get up hills than a lighter person, my legs have gotten pretty strong. :D I feel like I generally have more awareness/confidence in what my body can do thanks to biking.

p.s. in case it's not obvious, I highly endorse biking--it's fun! I never feel like I'm "exercising" (even when I'm pushing myself), and I think that's the key to getting more active.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    The neighborhood I live in should provide a good reintroduction to biking. It has one moderate hill and it is a mile on the larger circle. The initial thrill of biking again should help stave off the boring repetition until I feel steady. As long as I don't have to ask my father to teach me again I should be fine. He was quite a horrible teacher.

My goal is to eventually repeat a 70 mile round trip that I did when I was 18. I am thinking 3 or 4 trips around the neighborhood and I will be ready, right? :grin:
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    70 miles! That's a good goal, but it'll take some time ;)

I've topped out at about 12 so far, and I was pretty beat from that.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    70 miles! That's a good goal, but it'll take some time ;)

I've topped out at about 12 so far, and I was pretty beat from that.

So 5 trips around the neighborhood?

In thinking about it I am wondering if a symbolic trip might be more appropriate. In the million years since I did that trip that state highway has gotten significantly more developed so it is busier and people FLY down it. I did it on a Saturday all those years ago when it was mostly farmland and I probably saw less than 50 cars the entire trip.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Novus,whatever you decide to do or how far you finally go, please wear a helmet and pads....as far as you have come, you do not want an injury......be careful!.....maybe you should start out in a really safe place!.....( this is the inner mom in me talking btw)
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Biking does sound like a good fall exercise, maybe I will look into getting a used bike. Give me an excuse to check out the second hand/pawn shops around town.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    with a used bike, just make sure you get it checked out before riding! a local bike repair shop will likely give it a look. and a helmet is a must. :)

my longest trip so far has been about 25 miles. I'm planning to work up to longer rides next spring/summer, mostly because when I do a longer ride I think I'd like to go with someone/others for safety/fun. plus, I'd like to learn how to fix a flat before venturing too far from home. there's some neat state trails I'm excited to explore!
  • Penguinswaddlenotme
    Options
    First, let me say that yesterday I had a road bump in my journey. I ran to the store to get a couple food kits for dinner (One for my mom and I and the other for my fiance and my mom was going to keep the other half for lunch or dinner today). My mom asked me to get some chips for my dad, and I totally caved while getting his chips. I bought 2 things of Pringles and a bag of Cuban sandwich flavored chips...I just had to try it.
    I didn't finish tracking my food last night because I was tired when I got home, so I did it this morning. I was about 450 calories over my daily goal. :(

Today's Goals
    • track all the food I eat
    • stay within my calorie goal

Simple goals for restarting tracking, but goals nonetheless!
    Have a great day everyone!
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Daily goals this week:

> 8000 Steps per day :)Thurs - 11721
    > 7 Hours sleep per day :)Weds - To bed at 11:15pm/Up at 8:05am
    > Better sleep hygiene :)Thurs - Replied to a couple of message but no gaming, etc
    > Meditation :)Thurs - following a guided meditation course on stress relief
    > Gratitude Journal :)Thurss - Done
    > Stop giving in to binge trigger foods - no pizza, no crisps, no chocolate bars and no cheese outside of what's in recipes for meals :)Thurs - No trigger foods

Despite the taxi into work yesterday, managed to get plenty of steps in, weather stayed nice long enough for a walk by the river at lunchtime and took a bit of a detour for some groceries on the way home.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    First, let me say that yesterday I had a road bump in my journey. I ran to the store to get a couple food kits for dinner (One for my mom and I and the other for my fiance and my mom was going to keep the other half for lunch or dinner today). My mom asked me to get some chips for my dad, and I totally caved while getting his chips. I bought 2 things of Pringles and a bag of Cuban sandwich flavored chips...I just had to try it.
    I didn't finish tracking my food last night because I was tired when I got home, so I did it this morning. I was about 450 calories over my daily goal. :(

Today's Goals
    • track all the food I eat
    • stay within my calorie goal

Simple goals for restarting tracking, but goals nonetheless!
    Have a great day everyone!

Simple is good.

Was the Cuban sammich good? I have not had one in awhile.

While I do not encourage mistakes I do like to point out that when they happen (not if but when) they don't really hurt us that bad. Your 450 calorie overage has cost you .128 pounds of weight loss. Obviously it all adds up and progress is progress but, again, mistakes will happen and perfection is not required to achieve our ultimate goals.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Goals today are eat healthy,watch football,get over my cold...ugh
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My goals today are to get on the scale, swim, and start a basic outline for work. I've been avoiding the scale like the plague but MFP and my trainer have made me feel like I need to conquer the scale. Normally once I quantify something I go completely overboard and start making charts and graphs. I am not going to do that this time...
  • joannacrane95
    joannacrane95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started a Step Bet today. I have to find some way to keep myself moving this winter... I am not a cold weather person and would happily sit under an electric blanket for the next 6 months LOL
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Daily goals this week:

> 8000 Steps per day :)Fri - 11615 :) b]Sat - 11081 [/b] :/Sun - 2638
    > 7 Hours sleep per day :)Fri-Sun - Plenty of sleep
    > Better sleep hygiene :)Fri-Sun - no phone before bed
    > Meditation :)Fri-Sun continued guided meditation course on stress relief
    > Gratitude Journal :)Fri-Sun - Done
    > Stop giving in to binge trigger foods - no pizza, no crisps, no chocolate bars and no cheese outside of what's in recipes for meals :/Fri-Sun bought a chocolate bar on Sunday, didn't eat the whole thing and left it at the boyfriends place (out of sight, out of mind)

Pleased overall with last week, didn't walk much on Sunday but average daily steps for the week was 11807 so way above my 8000 goal. Ended up at my boyfriends place all weekend, as it was easier to head there after kayaking on Saturday night, so didn't get around to my second strength training session.

Will need to come up with a plan for a bodyweight routine to do at his place to overcome this in future.

Much the same goals again for this week:

Daily:
    > 8000 Steps per Day
    > 7 Hours Sleep per night
    > 60 mins no phone before bed
    > Accurate Logging
    > 1 Meditation Session per day
    > Complete Gratitude Journal

Weekly:
    > 2 Strength Training Sessions (Come up with bodyweight routine for when not at home)
    > 3 Yoga sessions per week
  • jjlewey
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 Great Job last week
  • jjlewey
    Options
    Goals for this week:
    Meal prep everyday for work
    12k step average for the week
    7hr sleep average