Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Replies

• Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 1,046 Member

Celebrate being down even a little bit Shari! That can be motivating especially after a series of days with no losses. Hope your Bible study group went well. It can be tough getting ready to have guests in our homes. Good that you have Saturday and Sunday to take a little care of yourself. Hoping too that your day working in the office helps relieve a little of the tension between you and DH.

I did well with my eating today. I really want this to be the beginning of another streak. No idea why my hunger was under control today, but I'll take it. Craig was here for the first time in quite a while and really helped me with many things around the house that had accumulated and that I am unable to do. He even went with me to get gas to pump the gas for me (usually I go to a handicapped pump at the gas station and the attendant pumps the gas for me). He also went with me to pick up groceries and brought the groceries in for me. What a big help that was! I know he needs money, and I am happy to pay him for his time and help. I fell today while Craig was here. I just got a bump on my head but no other problems, and the bump is going away. Thank goodness Craig was here to help me up.

Let's all have a great weekend!
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 893 Member
    Dinner and the Bible study went well. One couple didn't come and that was a blessing for me. Two less people allowed us to eat in the kitchen and meet in our family room. Nice and cozy. Having people around helped to ease the tension in the house.

So good to hear that Craig was a big help for you. Not good that you fell. You mentioned that you fell a while back too. Please be careful! You are important to me and this group!!!

• DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 331 Member
    Happy Saturday! Paula, I’m glad that the fall wasn’t worse and that Craig was there to help! I second what Shari said-you are so important to us!!
    Shari, I’m happy that your Bible Study went well! I find it so stressful to prepare for company!
    My daughter went to volunteer at a park this afternoon and talked a friend into joining her. I’m always so proud of her when she makes an effort to try something new!
    Shari, I’m channeling some of your determination! I weighed in this morning and took measurements. So far today, my eating has been good. I don’t have a definite plan to follow yet but am loosely following 17DD.
    I am also going to work more on downsizing so we don’t have to rent a storage unit the next time we are having overnight guests. Have a wonderful weekend!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Thank you friends for your kind words to me. Both of you are very important to me as well! I am so happy we have each other....a true blessing!

Congrats to your daughter DW for volunteering. It will likely be a win-win, good for the park and good for her. Volunteers are needed in so many areas these days.

Shari, glad your Bible study went well. Nice that you were able to be comfortable in what sounds like a less formal setting. I am sure I would appreciate that atmosphere too.

Today is day 2 of my compliant streak. I weighed today for the first time in quite a few days and was down about a half pound. Considering I had such a bad eating week, I am delighted with this number. I felt good today too and tackled a project I had been avoiding. It took me a lot less time than I anticipated. Even John commented on how well things went for me today.

Tomorrow the Philadelphia Eagles are in a play off game. The winner of this game heads to the Super Bowl. John is excited for this. (We live about 70 miles from Phila., and John is an Eagles fan.) I like to make something special for him on some of these "game days." Instead of wings, I offered to make him Buffalo cauliflower...much healthier and not hard to make. That should help to keep me on track. I will add some other game day foods for him, but I will try to stick with veggies and fruits to snack on.
  • shariletts
    Congrats on more weight loss Paula! Having a good day really helps our mindset towards positivity and that has significant impact on our health.

We will be watching the game too. Not sure I will make any special menu items, but maybe I will for the Super Bowl.

Have a great day all!
  • Paulawilldo
    Happy here because the Eagles won. My Buffalo cauliflower was a big hit with John. I liked it too but not nearly as much as John did. I stayed on track today and felt satisfied all day long. My scale didn't move today, but maybe tomorrow....or the next day....etc.

I am expecting a quiet but productive week. I have to prepare for a meeting of our inter-church group which we have next Sunday. It won't take long to complete my part, but I want to get it finished way ahead of time.
  • shariletts
    We watched both football games yesterday and we were happy with the results. I feel bad for those that were injured, and very sad for the player that took responsibility for his foul that cost Cincinnati the game (or at least contributed to it). He looked so dejected.

I am not sure what all I will get accomplished this week at work, but the work is steady. I trust that you Paula will get what you need looked after quickly.

My parents most likely have Covid. My mom caught it playing bridge on Thursday. She will test today, but she had a headache and was tired. Hopefully it isn't too bad. May parents are 85, and managed to keep Covid away. I am surprised my mom didn't wear a mask at the bridge club anymore. There is a high chance many people caught it from her bridge partner, but I hope not.
  • Paulawilldo
    So sorry that your parents are ill Shari. At their age the risk of complications increase. I remember your dad's name and will pray for him. If you want to share your mom's name please do so. Covid is still around for sure!

Today is day 4 of my compliance streak. I am feeling pretty pleased about this and remain motivated at the moment. My scale didn't move enough to really matter today, but I am hoping for good news tomorrow. I finished all of my work for the meeting next Sunday. It went quickly and smoothly. So glad that it is finished. I also completed a few other "to do" list items and am pumped for tomorrow's chores and food choices! Our online Monday evening Bible study was really good tonight too. So a wonderful day all around.
  • shariletts
    Thank you for praying Paula. Neither of my parents believe in God and as a believer myself that is worrisome. God has been gracious to give them time to seek faith, but they just are not seekers. My mom's name is Mary.

DH had his second counselling appointment today. He struggles with being able to identify emotions and knowing how he feels, and perhaps about how others feel too. His homework is to stop a TV show that we are watching and describe to me how he thinks a character is feeling. He only sees the basic emotion, he is correct, but he lacks the words to describe the deeper emotions. I am going to bring him an emotion wheel from work. That will help to build his vocabulary. He knows the words, he just isn't used to using them or seeing them in others or in himself. That will be so helpful. I often ask him how he is feeling- not just as a greeting- but when he should be reacting with more passion and he always answers, "I don't know." I am so excited that this could change. It will really help our relationship, and the struggles we have with his parents.

My weight was up today and it shouldn't be. I am going to have to trust it is just one of those natural fluctuations. Hopefully it will be back down tomorrow.
  • Paulawilldo
    I understand how you must be concerned about your parents Shari. Continue to pray for them, as I am sure you already do. I like your DH's homework assignment. That sounds like a good way to help him with some of the issues you mention. It will be a learning process that will likely require time and patience, but I am confident progress can occur.

Today is day 5 of my compliance streak. My scale showed a half pound loss this morning, so I am pleased. The biggest difference for me seems to be not feeling overly hungry. My trigger foods don't seem to be an excuse for me to slip recently. I just hope this continues. I think adding either a fruit or veggies or both to every meal and having fruit and/or non-fat Greek yogurt as a snack is satisfying me a lot. Doing these things really helps me stay in my calorie range. It was another good for me with household chores too. There is always something else to add to my list, but many of my bigger chores for the week are already finished.
  • shariletts
    I bought home a "Feelings Wheel" and pointed out in a lighthearted way to my DH that there wasn't a feeling on the wheel that said -nothing. I often get that answer when I ask him how he is feeling. Now he has a guide that will help him to think and identify with at least one feeling. It should help.

Congrats on yet another loss on the scale Paula! I am motivated by you to not give up and hope to see my own results soon. I am stable more or less, but not at a number I want to be stable at.

It is February and I feel like a new month adds a bit of new hope.
  • DW2022
    Happy February! Shari, how are your parents doing? I like your idea of using a feelings wheel at home! Paula, congrats on your weight loss! Mine was up this morning and it is due to late night eating. I did our taxes last night and then worked on (and completed) proofreading for our annual dog breed publication. At that point, it was after midnight and I started eating to help me get to sleep-then the dogs had me up early this morning plus the older one had me up around 4 to let him out, in and back to bed. Sleep is so important to weight loss and making good choices so I am hoping for a better night tonight! We are expecting very cold weather the next couple of nights and then warming up above freezing starting on Sunday and through most of next week. Tomorrow I have a morning dog class and evening Bible Study, which I am looking forward to! Have a good Thursday!!
  • Paulawilldo
    I agree that sleep is very important to weight loss and actually good health in general. I often squeeze in a little nap when I feel I need it. When I don't sleep enough it takes a toll in many ways. Congrats on getting your taxes done DW. I am the queen of avoidance when it comes to that annual task. But I am going to try to tackle them next week or the week after that. Like so many tasks I avoid, once I get started I am often amazed at how quickly it gets done.

Shari, stable is sure better than gaining. Probably because you don't have much to lose it is much more difficult to drop those few pounds.

I had an unexpectedly busy day today. This morning my priest called to see if he could come to bless our house today as he was going to be in our area blessing a few other homes. We get our homes blessed every year, after the feast of Theophany (Epiphany) which is celebrated on January 6. The priest blesses every room in the house, and it is a short but beautiful service. So even though my house was relatively clean, I felt the need to spiff up each and every room. Moving at the slow rate I do, I got done just about 30 minutes before he got here. John helped as much as he could too. I was exhausted, but still managed to cook a healthy supper after our priest left and then to attend an online service with the Ohio church I love so much.

Today is day 6 of my compliance streak. This is the longest streak I can remember in a very long time. I had a little movement downward on my scale. I'll take it!
  • shariletts
    My parents are doing okay. I haven't checked in by phone, but my mom texted to say she is feeling pretty good. She never tested positive for Covid but she may have done it too early on.

I wish I didn't have much weight to lose! But I have been going in the wrong direction for the last two years. I was way up on the scale today. Not sure what happened, but it's not good! I will have to start some sort of streak today.

I slept in today due to a late night so my check in is shorter this morning. I am. hoping to track every bit of food that I eat today. I need to see how I am doing when it comes to my food selections. I am pretty confident I eat too much fat.
  • Paulawilldo
    Glad your parents are doing ok Shari. Hope your mom is covid-free! Hope too that you see some good news at the scale. I know you are trying in the midst of many challenges. The good news is none of us are giving up!

Today must be sleep day! I took a really long afternoon nap today. I don't feel like I am in the midst of a flare, but I sure was tired this afternoon....maybe tired still from all I had to do yesterday. I was achy before I napped and much less achy after the nap,

I will consider today day 7 of my compliance streak, though it is a bit questionable. We'll see what tomorrow's weigh in brings, assuming I weigh in! My evening meal got delayed because of a phone call I got. I then ate with less mindfulness so to speak, so I think I might have overdone it a bit. Otherwise I was very much on track today.
  • shariletts
    No good news on that scale today! I can't throw in the towel. I just keep thinking how much worse off that I could be. But it just seems like there is a lot more effort required. I have to keep working towards better habits.

I have a lunch out with a friend that I haven't seen in awhile. I wish I could see the friend but not eat out. I am going to switch to meeting people for coffee. Cheaper and I can choose to have tea.
  • Paulawilldo
    Great idea Shari to get together for coffee/tea rather than lunch. You are right....don't throw in the towel!

It seems that my less-than-mindful eating yesterday didn't do me any damage. I didn't lose this morning, but I didn't gain either. Maybe tomorrow will be a loss day for me! I had an unexpectedly demanding day such that I didn't even get to eat breakfast till well after 2 pm. Surprisingly I was not ravenously hungry, but rather stayed compliant again today (streak day 8). I ended up doing some extra work for our inter-church meeting to be held on Sunday and also got tied up with a few other distractions in the form of calls from some other church folks. It is very cold here new and quite windy. I had to go out to run errands twice today, of all days for me to have to go out and two times yet!! Our electricity went off a few times earlier this evening due to the wind. The combination of low temps and strong winds is resulting in wind chills of minus 9 F. I know other places are even colder, but for here -9 wind chill is excessively cold.

• shariletts
    I made it though all of my dinners and lunches with friends. Going forward I am going to stick to coffees. I need to see some success on the scale, it can't keep going up!!!

I am not a fan of cold weather at all! We had our cold snap come to an end yesterday and I am super thankful for that.

It is good to be at home today so that I can have more control over my food choices. I can't afford to gain any more weight, but it seems to just keep coming. Menopause is not going well in the weight department.
  • DW2022
    Hello! Paula, that sounds so challenging to be out in that weather! Shari, much like yours, our bitter weather ended today and it will be getting increasingly warmer for the next few days. I’ve started doing a short walking video on YouTube the past couple of days, which is good because I went to a movie today and had popcorn. (It was lunch-LOL!). Tomorrow I am the liturgist in church and have some practicing to do . Have a great Sunday!
  • Paulawilldo
    DW, Did you see a good movie with your popcorn? What does the liturgist do at your church? That sounds interesting.

Shari, socializing without eating can be quite tough. I applaud you for taking such a positive approach of meeting for coffee/tea.

Tomorrow is our inter-church group meeting. We are meeting at the home of the president of our group and ordering delivery from a very local restaurant. I have already made my choice, a grilled chickens salad with a vinaigrette dressing on the side. John is going to have the same salad. He is the treasurer of our group. This time we are taking Buster with us, even though the hostess isn't too keen on the idea. We will plan to keep Buster in his carrier for most/all of the meeting. I hope the meeting is a short one.