Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Options

Replies

• Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the congrats Shari! I feel good about this loss. I think the overall program makes sense to me. Tracking food and seeing the points attached to each food helps me plan better. Fruits and non starchy veggies are zero points, so that helps too. Most of my snacking has been fruit which has satisfied me. Another factor I appreciate is that no foods are off limits. So tracking and using the points has given me a sense of freedom. I haven 't really felt deprived on this plan. The WW app has a bar code scanner so it is particularly easy to track foods that have bar codes and to manage portion control. After a while it becomes second nature. Portion control has always been an issue for me. It has been easier because I have had days when my hunger is manageable. No attacks of the hungries as a tend to say. I have had off days when it was more of a struggle for me, but overall it seems like those struggle days didn't do me too much harm. I guess I could have lost more weight if I had been more compliant on those struggle days, but I am not complaining.

Today was another good day for me. I was busy putting away our big grocery order. I ordered a lot since it was being delivered. It feels good to be well stocked up again. I am planning for tomorrow to be a take it easy day.
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    That all makes sense Paula. I am glad that it is working for you! I am going to hold out a bit longer before joining. I am really hoping that my little changes will start to add up and I will see some movement on the scale too.

It's not really warm outside, but it is sunny. I plan to enjoy the outdoors as much as I can today. Not working in the garden, but enjoying it's beauty. I might make some borscht today since I managed to pull my beets out of the ground yesterday. Some big ones and some small ones. But I am happy that I grew some.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, I think your plan will be successful because as you said, little steps can add up to big success. We had another beautiful day of weather today, warm but not too hot and low humidity. I love borscht. Hope you were able to make it and enjoy it.

I had a very relaxing day today. John Godmother who lives near Pittsburgh called today, and we had a good chat catching up. We have been friends for 54 years and know each other very well. I just wish she lived closer. She is truly a good and wonderful person. I had a very hungry day today. It happens now and then which bothers me but I got through it by using extra points. I will be extra careful tomorrow and the rest of the week (I hope!). I rested quite a bit today too as usual on Sundays. Tomorrow will be back to working on a to do list.
    Let's have a great week!
  • shariletts
    Options
    Our day started out clear and sunny but as the day went on it became overcast. I spent as much time as I could outside making sure to appreciate summer and enjoy the work we have done in the yard. We had a fire in the evening which was really nice.

Back to it today! I work from home today which means my eating will be better controlled. Somehow I find myself less hungry when I am at home.

A great week would be wonderful! We can do it.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Sounds like your Sunday was lovely Shari. Summer will be over before we know it. I think that often when outside with Buster and the weather now is so comfortable.

I had a good day again today. Some mornings I have fruit (usually organic blueberries or organic strawberries) with non fat plain Greek yogurt. It is a healthy filling breakfast and zero points. It gives me a good start to the day with more points to work with for the rest of the day.

My relatives from Texas texted today to start working on dates for their fall visit, sometime in September/October. They know that they must stay elsewhere as I cannot accommodate them here in my current condition. There will be four coming. It has been 4 years since we saw 2 of them and even longer since we saw the other 2. I am a bit nervous about getting the house prepared for them and feeding them, but I think with enough help I will be able to enjoy their visit. We love these family members very much. It will be special to see them again. Oh, and even more motivation for me to stick to my plan and drop more weight, I hope.
  • shariletts
    Options
    I have a routine for my breakfast which is typically eggs or oatmeal. I have yogurt and fruit with lunch on days that I take lunch to work. My yogurt isn't not fat free though. I might have to make that change at some point.

Having an event is motivating to stick with our weight loss regime. I have been doing pretty good getting exercise back into my daily routine. I walk a bit in the morning and I have added some movement in before dinner. Nothing too strenuous.

I picked some more cucumbers yesterday. Very good and I am enjoying a light cucumber salad with dinner every evening. I hope to make a few more jars of pickles this week. I planted far too many!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, Your breakfasts and lunches sound very healthy based on what I know from WW. I have eggs (0 points for eggs) and toast or an English muffin on some mornings instead of the fruit and yogurt. I worry sometimes about the yogurt because of my lactose intolerance but I think because I don't have a lot of yogurt with my fruit and perhaps because it is Greek yogurt it is less likely to impact me, not sure though. Congrats on your cucumber harvest!!! I LOVE cucumbers, cucumber salad, even cucumber and tomato sandwiches. Sometimes just can't get enough of those cucumbers, lol.

Today was a pretty good day for me. After dinner I was craving sweets a little so I indulged in a small ice cream sandwich which I logged (9 points) and still stayed in my point range. I didn't do too much around the house today, but I did ok with the little things I wanted to do and spent some time on the phone with the dear friend who is going through some serious medical issues.
  • shariletts
    Options
    It's been really good to eat the food that we have grown and cooked ourselves lately. I enjoy cooking so that helps too. No movement on the scale yet! I feel like I should see results soon though. I will have to go very very strict if I don't see a drop in the next week. I have very defined goals. Nothing over the top. Just one pound a week and some weeks only half a pound. I gave myself a week to hold, which I did. Now this week it's time to drop one pound.

• Paulawilldo
    Options
    I haven't stepped back on the scale since my "good news" weigh in. Today was another high point day, so I have to be careful again. Tomorrow I have the 1st appointment for my new crown. The receptionist told me the 1st step is a 2 hour appointment. I am not looking forward to that! A friend of mine made stuffed cabbage (halupki) and is bringing them to us tomorrow. So I won't have to cook. My birthday is Friday (66!) so we will probably get delivery for supper. I am planning on the delicious shrimp broccoli wrap I had a little while ago.
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I just caught up on all the news. Paula, congrats on your weight loss!! Shari, congrats on your cucumbers!! I love cucumbers but the ones in the grocery are often not in great shape and don’t have much taste. Homegrown is definitely the way to go!!
    Last Saturday my husband became ill for 1 1/2 days-same symptoms as those that I had. He seems ok now. . I started PT this week for my Achilles tendon and also applied for a job. It took me 3 days and two children in two states helping me to do a resume, cover letter and 5 page application and get it emailed to the employer (that’s how they wanted it). Now that I have a resume, I can apply for other jobs!
    We are expecting a heat index of over 100 tomorrow. I am doing laundry and dishes tonight so I won’t be using that energy tomorrow. Have a great Thursday!!
  • shariletts
    Options
    What kind of job did you apply for DW? That is big news. I hope you will be a successful candidate, if not for this job for one that will be a great fit for you. You are fortunate to still have hot weather. I am afraid our summer days are over. It has been quite chilly here all week.

I never used to mind going to the dentist for dental work, but that has definitely changed. I get q vey sore jaw from having to hold my mouth open and I struggle with feeling panic. I spend a great deal of time calming myself with self talk. I hope that you fair better than I do Paula.

I get to work from home today and I am very pleased about that.
  • Paulawilldo
    edited August 2023
    Options
    DW, exciting news about your job application. Wow, a 5 page application! Are you applying to be president of the US, LOL? Is it a full time or part time position?? How are you responding to your PT?
    I did ok at the dentist today. I don't mind the actual dental stuff too much, but I get very anxious about the walking involving in going to and from the appointments. I had a very bad night last night for leg pain and was awake quite a bit because of it, something that is rare for me. I was quite concerned that I wouldn't be able to keep the appointment. Before going I took 2 extra strength Tylenol which helped me a little. I like my dentist and his staff, so that also helps. I parked very close to their entrance ramp, rather than in a handicapped parking spot which is considerably further away. That helped too. After my appointment was finished, it was raining quite heavily. I told them I was ok to get to the van, but one of the assistants and the dentist himself came out to help me in the van and covered me with an umbrella. That was above and beyond in my book! I now have a temporary crown and go back in Sept for the permanent one. I didn't track any food today and enjoyed a nice glass of wine with the halupki we had for supper!
  • shariletts
    Options
    Glad you got the hard part of that appointment over Paula. Part 2 will be shorter and less involved. I have a fairly new crown and it feels so much better than the previous filling I had in it. Very thankful for it. Glad that you were able to cope with the amount of walking that you had to do.

Today will be a hard day for eating for me. We are taking our summer student out for lunch since it is her last day. That would be fine but we booked dinner out with some friends for Thai food. I will have to be super restricted all weekend to avoid a scale increase. I wish one good day of eating had the same impact that one bad day of eating has.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! Paula, is today your special day? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Shari, I hope you have two enjoyable meals today!! I received an email from the position I applied for that was basically “thank you for applying- don’t call us, we’ll call you”. But, now that I have a current resume, I can look for other opportunities ! I’d like to work in a library or bookstore but will do anything part time .
    This afternoon my DH made pasta sauce from tomatoes from our garden. I plan to try some on a baked potato. It smells delicious!
    PT is going slowly. I am shocked at how weak that tendon area is . I am getting ultrasound treatments. The Dr ordered a different treatment that wasn’t covered by insurance but the ultrasound is. That part feels good but the exercises are challenging . Have a great weekend!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Ah Shari, Thai food! My favorite! Can't wait to hear what you enjoyed. You might be pleasantly surprised at the scale. Some Thai dishes have a lot of good veggies.

DW, Thanks for the birthday wishes. I had a very lovely day. Yum on the homemade pasta sauce, so much better than anything store bought. Hope you find a job that appreciates what you have to offer. Working in a bookstore would be great. I appreciate hearing about your PT. I think I eventually will be going that route. I haven't had PT in over 26 years (even then it was for my knees). Now I think I might need it for my left shoulder which has recently been giving me pain.

I didn't track my food today, but I don't think I did too bad. I didn't want to track on my birthday. I will be back to tracking tomorrow.
  • shariletts
    Options
    Hey Paula, good to hear that you had a lovely day for your birthday and that you were able to take a break from tracking. I am sure that you entertained a lot of phone calls throughout the day.

I am going to start food tracking today. Again. I do well and then fade. But I have a goal that I am serious about.

I have a very full to-do list today. I know I won't get to all of it, but I am prepared with the knowledge so I shouldn't be disappointed. Looks like we have summer back for a few days and I am going to take every advantage that I can to be outdoors.
  • Paulawilldo
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Thanks Shari, I am enjoying the entire "birthday weekend" as John calls it! Mostly today I rested, actually slept, a lot during the day and evening. I must have really needed it because I got into some very deep sleeps while on the love seat in our family room. Yes, I have had quite a few phone calls these past few days. Did you track today? I started out tracking this morning but got lazy about it as the day went on. I have a fairly busy week ahead so I think I will take advantage of tomorrow as another opportunity to rest.
  • shariletts
    Options
    Paula!!!! I forgot to track!!! Once my day started we were so busy that I totally forgot to do it. I will have to remember to do it today. I am pretty stiff from all of the work we got done. Today we will have a relaxing day. It is supposed to be beautiful out so may drive to the river valley and go for a walk. The mosquitos will be crazy and that will be annoying if we end up going.

I admire people who listen to their bodies and can nap. I almost did this past week but then didn't do it.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! Happy Sunday!! I love the discussion of naps! I tried to take one this afternoon because I was very tired but then couldn’t fall asleep 😳 Since I am already yawning like crazy, I predict an early bedtime tonight! I have a tip from my sister that she discovered recently. You both might already know this but here goes….I’ll use spaghetti sauce as the example. She entered “spaghetti sauce “ to log her food and got a number of calories that seemed like a lot since her ‘s was homemade . Then she entered the individual ingredients for her spaghetti sauce and got lower calories and healthier content. I tried that with something I’d made and also found the difference between commercially prepared and homemade to be a significant difference!
    Church was especially wonderful today because it was our homecoming Sunday and the woman who was the Pastor when we started going to that church, when my children were young, came back to give the sermon. It was great to see her! Our guest musician was a young man who grew up in the church and is now a music teacher/band director at a nearby high school. Such a talented young man!! The job search continues this week as does PT. I hope that you both have a wonderful week!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, forgetting to track isn't as bad as starting to track like I did again today and then being too lazy to keep tracking for the rest of the day!

DW, Your church service today sounds so touching and moving. Thanks for the reminder about entering the ingredients like you did and found the difference between homemade and commercial. I think I might have known about this but didn't remember it.

I have probably said this here before, but I am such a good napper, I could be on an Olympic napping team if they ever have one. LOL

Today was an up and down day for me with my food choices. I started out strong as I often do (and that's when I tracked), but as the hungries came on I was too lazy (and maybe in denial) to keep up with the tracking. Ugh! I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow, many important non-negotiable items on my to do list. Plus I have to drive John to a late afternoon meeting of his Miracle League board. And we have our Bible study online Monday evening. Alas, no time to nap tomorrow!