Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Beth, me too! I need to stop and admire how clever we are for a moment or two here! ;) I don't remember there being a National Donut Day or a National Ice Cream Day in the old days, do you? But I'm not complaining. Wonder when National French Fry Day is? OMG, just found out that I missed it, it was July 13th. Look at this calendar and there is no wonder that we Americans are fat, lol. http://www.food.com/food-holidays/french-fries-day-0713
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    National gummy worm day?! How old was the calendar's creator?
    Switch topic - mfp does not have "biking uphill" as exercise option, so i chose "vigorous, 14-15 mph"
    Full disclosure - i do not bike uphill at 14 mph!
    :-)
  • gaylebodine
    Riding a bike at any speed uphill is impressive to me. Sad to say. Maybe one of those trikes would be good for me.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Lill: Have you tried using MapMyRide? It is a smartphone app. It will log your ride and since it is GPS tracking, it will take into account inclines. If you put in all your data, it will give you the calories burn. I don't ride, but I use MapMyWalk. It will do the same thing. Oh, and it links to MFP so you don't have to log it separately. Save the workout and it will log it to MFP automatically.
  • grandmothercharlie
    I have another busy, busy week ahead. But, I'm here. I'm going to really buckle down this week. I need to feel motivated. I'm going through the motions, but my heart hasn't been in it!

You guys are doing great! Nice losses! I'm standing here on my plateau, looking down at the scale. I might as well move to Butte, Montana! Or Mesa, AZ.

Confession: On Sunday evening, I was in the drugstore and it started raining (torrential) AGAIN. As I ran to my car, I realized I had started crying! I hate this weather. Yesterday it didn't rain and so far today, but the sky is covered with gray clouds and the sun only peaks through off and on. I did walk today at lunchtime. 86 degrees and 60% humidity. That is actually pretty good but still muggy.

I really need Tai Chi tonight.

My dil took the granddaughters to visit her grandmother for the week. Had a nice evening out on Saturday night just my son and I. Met him at a craft brew place. Did a flight. That was more beer than I have drunk in a long time. Not a huge beer lover, but I do love having some one-on-one time with my son. It is true the old saying, "A daughter's a daughter for all of her life, but a son is a son until he takes a wife." Just don't have the time with just him much anymore. He could have gone out with his buddies while the wife was away; was nice he picked me!
  • gaylebodine
    What a great post Charlie! Nice that you got some time with your son. It has been really rainy here as well. I used to brag about Colorado having "more sunny days than Florida" but I would be lying now. This week I am stressing because it is end of term grading and also because my son is freaking out about getting his end of term essays written. So I get into mommy worry. So long story short, over calories yesterday and today. But subscribing to fall down 7 times and get up 8. Hang tough gang!
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Beth, me too! I need to stop and admire how clever we are for a moment or two here! ;) I don't remember there being a National Donut Day or a National Ice Cream Day in the old days, do you? But I'm not complaining. Wonder when National French Fry Day is? OMG, just found out that I missed it, it was July 13th. Look at this calendar and there is no wonder that we Americans are fat, lol. http://www.food.com/food-holidays/french-fries-day-0713

No Gayle, never remembered National Donut Day, National Ice Cream Day or even National French Fry Day (I missed that one too LOL) Your right, no wonder us Americans are fat. Maybe We should start a National Cherry Day or National Carrot Day. Wonder if this would catch on? LOL
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Charlie thanks for MapMyRide info! Sounds perfect. I will check it out
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    One of my goals was to go with my friend and her daughters and finally get to NYC for the first time. I have felt intimidated by the large city scene, but my friend is from Bombay. Almost didn't happen, but my DH managed to get me to the train station as it was boarding and I made it to a seat just before it started. I met up with her at 11am and had a great time, went on the ferry to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Manhattan is amazingly crowded. It was 92-degrees both days. Perhaps the most surprising thing was her 6yo daughter never whined even when we arrived at the hotel finally at 10pm, and her 16yo daughter was great too. We rode the tour bus again the next day and went to the Met Museum and Central Park. Too soon I got on the train back home.
    I did it!! ... and now.. I would do it again.

Despite all the ice cream I ate I weighed the same as when I left. Probably walking and carrying a 8.5 lb. knapsack had something to do with that.

• gaylebodine
    gmabethof3 wrote: »

No Gayle, never remembered National Donut Day, National Ice Cream Day or even National French Fry Day (I missed that one too LOL) Your right, no wonder us Americans are fat. Maybe We should start a National Cherry Day or National Carrot Day. Wonder if this would catch on? LOL
    Beth, National Carrot Day is April 4th http://www.carrotday.com/ But even more important (lol) is National Carrot Cake Day http://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-carrot-cake-day-february-3/ LOL
  • gaylebodine
    Pam that sounds like two fabulous days! I've been there twice and find it interesting but not a place I'd like to live. Went on the ferry and saw the statue of liberty too, and the twisted iron cross at the 9-11 site. The first time I went I took the subway to Chinatown and ate snails for the first time (and the last). Anyway, a big adventure for sure.
  • gaylebodine
    Guys, I'm doing badly with the diet plan this week but being connected with this group is keeping me logging. Thanks for being there!
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Guys, I'm doing badly with the diet plan this week but being connected with this group is keeping me logging. Thanks for being there!

Yeah I resemble that remark as well. Depression is a key ingredient in my life at times, especially with the medical stuff, not to mention losing my favorite dog. Luckily food doesn't really interest me all that much, so I have dropped a few pounds...but depression sucks the life out of me and is soon replaced with don't care. Don't care is hard to dig out of and like Gayle, being here has kept me at least logging in to report as I certainly haven't been engaging others.

• grandmothercharlie
    You all keep me motivated and I appreciate it. Even if I don't always comment, I'm reading!

@drags59: Health issues can be so difficult to deal with. When I was diagnosed with heart disease, I went to a counselor to help me deal with the lifestyle changes and the stress of those changes, doctors, and insurance companies. My insurance company also assigned a phone nurse to me who called me at least once a week to make sure I was doing what I should and do help me navigate all the medical redtape. So lean on people. Us. Your family. Or a third-party. It can become manageable.

@MapDancer: So glad you went to NYC. We can do new things even at our ages. Just need to be adventurous! I think MFP has helped us all with self-confidence and new enthusiasm. Don't you? FYI: Hated to see "Fated to Love You" end. :( Really loved it! I am now watching two in real time. "All Night Restaurant" which are 30 minute episodes once a week. Different story each week, but same restaurant owner, Kim Seung-Woo whom I liked in Hotelier and another drama. I have also started "The Time That I Loved You, 7000 Days." I have a little catching up to do on it. They both are pretty good so far.

animated-snail-image-0036.gif@gaylebodine Send all snails my way! I love escargot! My ex always said they were like innertubes in garlic butter. He said it made sense when my favorite local restaurant for excargot opened another restaurant in Akron. All the rubber they would want! :D

Going to a Theater/Dance production called All Night Strut tonight after Tai Chi. Big band era! Should be good! I'll need to come up with something to eat between Tai Chi and my 3 block walk to the theater. No time for dinner until after the production which probably will not be until 10 or 10:30. If I don't eat something though, I'll binge!

I have buckled down this week. Has helped that we have finally had a few days without any rain. Makes me feel so much better. I'll talk to you all tomorrow for weigh-in!
  • drags59
    innertubes in garlic butter Great description!
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 wrote: »

Beth, National Carrot Day is April 4th http://www.carrotday.com/ But even more important (lol) is National Carrot Cake Day http://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-carrot-cake-day-february-3/ LOL

Carrot cake day sounds good to me LOL
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited July 2015
    Goal Report: I am leaving my one-bite at every dinner, so on to a second meal 4 times a week.

I'm still hovering a little above my 143 low. Was 146 this a.m.

FYI: The All Night Strut at our local university was a fun show. Two guys, two gals, and great big band, 30-40's music!

We have had beautiful weather for a few days. I even have gotten in a couple of good lunchtime walks. Has been a really busy week though. Aren't busy days/weeks suppose to go fast? This has been the slowest week for me for some reason. Can't believe it is only Friday. I work Saturdays and after work tomorrow, I have to man the County's booth at the fair for 3 hours! Yea, me! ;) Oh, well, when I "volunteered" I took into consideration that they sign my paycheck! Besides I love my boss and my volunteering made her look good as she was supposed to get volunteers and wasn't having much luck.

Next weekend, Dublin, Ohio, a Columbus suburb hosts the largest Irish festival outside of Ireland. It is my family's favorite weekend of the year! 105 acres, 7 stages, 65 performing groups, Whiskey tasting, historical exhibits, kids' area. Irish food, culture, music, storytelling, dogs, dancing, and, oh yeah, beer! Next weekend will not be a good dieting weekend for me! I will start on Friday night probably and go through Sunday! @gmabethof3 You should come up OR Dayton is having theirs that weekend, too! Some of the bands are going back and forth between the two festivals at only 1 hour away.

Today, is National Tequila Day by the way! I'm not a sweets lover, so a Marguarita sounds better to me than carrot cake or any sweet except for maybe lemon or rhubarb pie! I like my sweets "sour!"

Anxious to see how you all did this week. Summer is slipping away and we are finally just getting some! Won't be long before Labor Day!
  • gmabethof3
    Goal: 161.5 (15 lbs.)

July 3 - 176.5
    July 10 - 176.0 = .5
    July 17 - 174.6 = 1.4
    July 24 - 174.4 = 1.6
  • gmabethof3
    Going to have to work harder to be able to reach my goal, need to exercise more and I could probably get close.
  • drags59
    Challenge Goal: 245

July 3 - 260.4
    July 10 - 259.2
    July 17 - 258.4
    July 24 - 253.4