Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Goal: 169
    7/03/15: 174.3
    7/11/15: 175.1
    7/18/15: 174.4
    7/24/15: 175.5
    Had a tough week in terms of dieting. I've been having a bad time with my energy level and not feeling well and eating for energy. I don't have health insurance right now and need to figure out a way to address my health issues. Think I will do the Life Line Screen in early August to actually know what I'm dealing with. In October I can do the affordable health care and in one year I'll have Medicare. Just need to baby myself until then.

BethI should have said something earlier--I think you've set your goal too high. Weight loss is rapid at first but then slows down and more than 1 pound a week can be unrealistic. What does everyone think?

CherylI'm so sorry about your doggie! Glad you are hanging in, but please take care of yourself. In terms of depression, time to up your meds for a while? Congrats on your weight loss but make sure you nourish yourself this next week.

CharlieYou are so busy but I think you thrive on it! I would like to see a play sometime soon. I have a good friend who goes to the theatre every week and I need to tag along. The Irish Festival sounds like fun and a great family time for you. It has been tremendously hot her 92 and hotter during the day with thunderstorms most afternoons. Love the cooler evenings. Great about the one bite. I haven't made much progress with that.

Goal for the next week: eat as healthily as I am able and log everything. Let the group support me.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    @gaylebodine I understand your struggles. Did you read the blog I posted in the articles link about illness and weight? Read it if you haven't. For years I did things right, but couldn't lose. It was the heart for me. But inflammation can come from many things. And, stress doesn't help either. If I didn't have good healthy insurance, I would be stressed just worrying I would get sick. And, as you mentioned to Pam, things slow down. Look what you have accomplished to date!

@gmabethof3 As Gayle said, things slow down. At 248, it was easy to lose 2 or even more pounds a week. Then one, now, although I'm still active and at 1200 calories, I stick on plateaus forever. I have done 1200 calories from the beginning. I lost 55 pounds the first 6 months. 27 pounds the next 6 months. And only 5 pounds in the last 6 months! And although you don't see all my exercise, because I don't log most of my walks, I average about 14,000 steps a day and quite a lot of those are "cardio" steps. My exercise usually runs about 600 calories a day that I don't eat back. So, at your weight I was still losing about a pound a week, but it was really hard and required a strict 1200 and a lot of exercise!

@gaylebodine I am always busy! I love it. I leave the house most days at 6:30 a.m. and I never come home unless I forgot my workout clothes or something until 9-10 at night. My friends look to me to plan stuff because they know I will always have something I want to do. Mostly I do by myself as no one else gets motivated. Gotta wake up in the morning and look forward to something fun everyday!

• Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Pleasantly surprised that this morning my number down in less than week
    And i have left the 190's behind!
    Goal: lose one pound a week.
    (Forgive me for not listing all numbers. I don't have a list to cut and paste from, and numbers dont stick in my brain. Idea - i could write them down on actual paper!)
    6/14/15: 194.2
    7/14/15: 189.2
  • Cclill
    Gayle there is much stress in just the plateau itself. It is so unfair!
    I live in dread of it because it is has always made me give up and gain more.
    I so admire you for sticking with the program despite your plateau!
    Would it help the "plateau stress" to focus on fact that you are not gaining weight back?
    So until the plateau relents, your weigh ins can be spun as victory?
    E.g. "Yay! I did not gain this week! Take that you evil plateau!"
    Xxxooo

• gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Goal: 169
    7/03/15: 174.3
    7/11/15: 175.1
    7/18/15: 174.4
    7/24/15: 175.5
    Had a tough week in terms of dieting. I've been having a bad time with my energy level and not feeling well and eating for energy. I don't have health insurance right now and need to figure out a way to address my health issues. Think I will do the Life Line Screen in early August to actually know what I'm dealing with. In October I can do the affordable health care and in one year I'll have Medicare. Just need to baby myself until then.

BethI should have said something earlier--I think you've set your goal too high. Weight loss is rapid at first but then slows down and more than 1 pound a week can be unrealistic. What does everyone think?

CherylI'm so sorry about your doggie! Glad you are hanging in, but please take care of yourself. In terms of depression, time to up your meds for a while? Congrats on your weight loss but make sure you nourish yourself this next week.

CharlieYou are so busy but I think you thrive on it! I would like to see a play sometime soon. I have a good friend who goes to the theatre every week and I need to tag along. The Irish Festival sounds like fun and a great family time for you. It has been tremendously hot her 92 and hotter during the day with thunderstorms most afternoons. Love the cooler evenings. Great about the one bite. I haven't made much progress with that.

Goal for the next week: eat as healthily as I am able and log everything. Let the group support me.

Gayle and Charlie, I am leaning that my goal was too high, you learn from mistakes... I am still working at it, but I do see that the weight is slowing down...at least now I know better and not make that high of a goal...
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Hi all,

Just caught up with reading posts. I have been away and no internet. Not much control over food when visiting other people's homes, but I am doing my best.

Cheryl, I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. I am a dog lover with many past four footed friends in my life, and I really miss them. They are very much a part of family and we all mourn their loss. Hang in there and take care of yourself.

It seems it has been a tough time for a lot of us.Weight gain, plateaus and slow losses. I too appreciate that you are all here to support. I am still getting back on track after my long absence. Logging is the first step.

My husband's doctor has recommended the Atkins diet for him and he is contemplating it at the moment. It would make life a great deal easier for me if he too was watching what he eats since he is primary cook around here. But I lost weight before on my own, so I can do it again, regardless.

Have a better week everyone.

marney
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    In terms of depression, time to up your meds for a while? It would help if I took them.
  • drags59
    Gayle there are a number of health clinics up in your neck of the woods that work with low income folks. And there is the CICP as well...I used them back in 2008 as I was diagnosed with a blood disease at the 9 health fair and at the time had no job or insurance. Google the CICP, I think you can sign up over the phone and at your advanced age, there are other options as well...
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi Cheryl,

I hope your area of the world is sunny. I always find rain and cold hard to deal with. Sounds as if others have had more than their share of rain this summer. A walk in the sunshine helps my mood. Or if I take Vitamin B. It energizes me quite a bit. I hope this week is good for you.

Hi all,
    I have a question for all about MFP. Today it has complained that I haven't eaten enough so I cannot seem to finalize my food log. Has it been registered? Do I just ignore this and carry on tomorrow?

Thanks

Marney
  • drags59
    RE: my sweet puppy Thank you everyone, she was my best friend and when I took her to the vet, I had no idea we would end up where we did. Her face is the one you see each time I post something. I had a really hard time with having to put her down and literally the reason I got online was to post my food diary, as I really didn't care about much of anything else.

• drags59
    First day back to work in a week thanks to my back issues, have had two corticosteroid injections in the sacroiliac joint in the last 2 months. First time made the mistake of bending over to pull weeds...kissed my back goodbye right after that. Finally digging out of the depression... Still have no interest in food however...finding myself having to add 300 to 400 empty calories daily to close out. And I am not hungry either...still drinking water against my will....who knows. I was blown away when the scales said I lost more weight this morning due to the
    glazed yeast donut I ate yesterday or was it the day before. Either way, I'll take it...
  • gaylebodine
    Lill, I think I have a list you can copy-paste for the rest of this challenge. I went back to 7/2/15. You will just have to add the weigh-in for today Friday/Saturday.
    Lill
    Goal: "Do what I'm doing and lose 1 pound per week"
    7/02/15: 193
    7/11/15: 192.8
    7/17/15: 191
  • gaylebodine
    drags59 wrote: »
    Gayle there are a number of health clinics up in your neck of the woods that work with low income folks. And there is the CICP as well...I used them back in 2008 as I was diagnosed with a blood disease at the 9 health fair and at the time had no job or insurance. Google the CICP, I think you can sign up over the phone and at your advanced age, there are other options as well...

Yes, I am in a funny place with finances. I went into Clinica and since my X claimed my son through last year (it was in our divorce decree) my income is too high for them to help me. I am going to go back to have them reassess since I am short a class this summer. I know it will all work out the way it does. And what do you mean my "advanced age" lol.
  • gaylebodine
    Cclill wrote: »
    (Forgive me for not listing all numbers. I don't have a list to cut and paste from, and numbers dont stick in my brain. Idea - i could write them down on actual paper!)

I just realized that you meant to write 7/24/15 so your corrected stats for this challenge:
    Lill
    Goal: "Do what I'm doing and lose 1 pound per week"
    7/02/15: 193
    7/11/15: 192.8
    7/17/15: 191
    7/24/15: 189.2
    You are doing well!
  • gaylebodine
    drags59 wrote: »
    RE: my sweet puppy Thank you everyone, she was my best friend and when I took her to the vet, I had no idea we would end up where we did. Her face is the one you see each time I post something. I had a really hard time with having to put her down and literally the reason I got online was to post my food diary, as I really didn't care about much of anything else.

So sorry Cheryl! I can really relate (as much as another person can ever relate) because I lost two senior cats in the last 6 months.
  • gaylebodine
    Hi all,
    I have a question for all about MFP. Today it has complained that I haven't eaten enough so I cannot seem to finalize my food log. Has it been registered? Do I just ignore this and carry on tomorrow?
    Thanks,
    Marney[/quote]

It will warn you that you are eating too few calories but it will let you log in tomorrow.
  • Cclill
    Cclill wrote: »

Sheesh see what i mean? Those numbers should be
    6/23/15: 193
    7/24/15: 189.2
  • Cclill
    Thanks Gayle! I saw your post after i added my "sheesh"
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    @drags59 A loss like yours will take some time. Bad weather doesn't help. Looks like we finally, after the wetest June and Julys on record, may be turning the corner! As for your back: Can you get PT? Do you stretch on your own? I love my gym's stretch trainer. I use it almost everyday. I have osteoarthritis in my spine and it has helped sooooo.... much. I have gained great flexibility.

@gaylebodine Do everything you can to get healthcare until Medicare. Hope the reassessment goes through for you. I would hate not having insurance. I am lucky and have never been without.

@Cclill Wow, look at who is melting away! Great works!

@gmabethof3 Adjust goals as you need to. For some, a tough goal is motivation; for others a depressing outcome that makes them quit. Only you know what type you are.

I had a very, very active day yesterday. Couldn't stop exercising. Good thing too since today I have to work (although I will be loading furniture since I am so short-handed for now) and then I have to sit at the County's booth at the fair from 5-8 p.m. The only exercise may be a walk at lunch and some free weights!
  • drags59
    Actually Charlie, this last go round with my back was actually due to PT...so at the moment am looking at PT in water to lessen the impact to my body. But other than that, am being very careful as that was some pain I do not wish to revisit! The other thing that will help is losing the weight. So doing a very small bit at a time!