Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Well, good news! It is not heart failure or lung disease. They saw no evidence for me to worry about having a heart attack or stroke. They did not find that I have high blood pressure (I did before I lost weight). Still have pain in my chest but is probably Chronic Congestive Pulmonary Disease from the years of smoking. Something a GP will have to address. Since there is no "emergency" I will wait until October, when Obama Care is offered again and get myself going with that. Then next July I will have Medicare (senior care). So good news. Still do not know why I am so tired and the other stuff but will not worry as much as I have been. Thanks for your support guys!

Glad to hear that everything is ok with the heart. No Heart attack or stroke is the best news you could get. I have the Congestive Pulmonary Disease, it does hurt at times. (I quit smoking 38 years ago, and its just now effecting me...LOL), But, I am glad that all is ok with you, and you no longer have to worry.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    It probably was the COPD (or should say is). I quit smoking in 1986 but, yes, seems like it is catching up with me now. Sorry to hear about you having to deal with COPD. Man, we grew up in a time when everyone smoked all the time.
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    They seem to have a lot going for seniors as well. Like I said, ...Advanced age
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Thats such great news Gayle! And Hope you can find reason for tiredness!
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    And Hope you can find reason for tiredness! I'd start with the easy stuff and look at Vitamin D and B12 supplements, the D especially seems to make folks just drag when it is deficient.
  • gaylebodine
    Thanks guys. Yes, bought the B12 and D, just need to remember to take daily. Am taking a multi that includes both but probably need more.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Vit D -- for some reason it wasnt part of normal blood test for my annual exams. I had to ask for it, was deficient, my dr told me to take 4000 a day at first, then 2000 for rest of my life! Perhaps because live in pacific northwest.
  • gaylebodine
    Yes, it is an extra test here too. There is more sunshine, in general, here but I always wear a hat and sunscreen so wonder if it really makes a difference that you have overcast skies. I will take my B12 and D and the gummy (ashamed to admit) multi which I will upgrade when I am able. Thanks for your interest in my health mystery. I'll keep you informed!
  • gmabethof3
    Goal: 161.5 (15 lbs.)

July 3 - 176.5
    July 10 - 176.0 = .5
    July 17 - 174.6 = 1.4
    July 24 - 174.4 = 1.6
    July 31 - 174.0 = 2.0
  • gmabethof3
    It probably was the COPD (or should say is). I quit smoking in 1986 but, yes, seems like it is catching up with me now. Sorry to hear about you having to deal with COPD. Man, we grew up in a time when everyone smoked all the time.

We sure grew up when everyone smoked, all the people I knew that smoked have now quit, and are having health problems because of it.. I wish those who still are smoking would learn from this, but could anyone tell us? Remeber we knew everything back then..LOL
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Look at you go, Beth! Great loss. You are smokin' your challenge.

Me, no difference, in weight, but I did hit my one bite on plate goal for the week. I am almost to one bite everyone meal.

Won't see me much here. Irish festival starts today! I'm goin' for it! I'll lose it when the festival is over, but too much good food and beer to be extremely careful!
  • grandmothercharlie
    I think the Vitamin D suggestion is a good one. With all the rain we have had this summer, I wonder about myself. I will have it checked the next time.
  • gaylebodine
    So true Beth! I cringe every time I see young people (even on bicycles and skateboards) smoking. Cigarette packs were not labeled with warnings when I was that age and doctors were used in cigarette ads. At least there are fewer places to smoke in public.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited July 2015
    Have I told you all lately how glad I am that you are all here? Well, I am. Thank you. I need all of your support, humor, insight, intelligence, comradery, and "sunshine!" I love our little group!

animated-ballon-caption-smiley-image-0103.gif
  • gaylebodine
    Goal: 169
    7/03/15: 174.3
    7/11/15: 175.1
    7/18/15: 174.4
    7/24/15: 175.5
    7/31/15: 175.0
    I'll take it since it's down from last week.
    Goal for this week: utilize calories so that the evening munchies don't sink me. OR commit to not eating after dinner except for a planned, specific late snack. Actually, think I should do both. Drink my water. Move. Watch my salt and carbs.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Cclill wrote: »
    Vit D -- for some reason it wasnt part of normal blood test for my annual exams. I had to ask for it, was deficient, my dr told me to take 4000 a day at first, then 2000 for rest of my life! Perhaps because live in pacific northwest.

And, like me, very fair so we cannot be sun worshippers even with sunscreen on! Winter here doesn't help either. Sunny but with only your face showing, vitamin D levels have a hard time.
  • dasher602014
    I count it as a blessing now that I had chronic bronchitis as a child. Still have major episodes (one was when I went away so long before). It takes me a month to get over any cold. As a child, it took me 3 months! Always sick but ..... never smoked. Not even tempted. And, now that I am retired and stress reduced, except for that nasty self induced kind, I just do not get as many colds. But I know very well how tiring and difficult it is not to be able to breathe properly.

(I was having vague pains in the my chest - worrying - took the underwire out of my bras - size A - don't need it - pains all gone now! :p )
  • dasher602014
    And I lost 2.5 lbs this week.

Will join in with a proper list when we start the next challenge but I am pleased with this loss. Probably all water weight but hey, I still am celebrating because I have halted the upward trend.
  • gmabethof3
    So true Beth! I cringe every time I see young people (even on bicycles and skateboards) smoking. Cigarette packs were not labeled with warnings when I was that age and doctors were used in cigarette ads. At least there are fewer places to smoke in public.

Glad that there is fewer places to smoke. I just hate the smell and it does irritate my COPD.
  • gmabethof3
    And I lost 2.5 lbs this week.

Will join in with a proper list when we start the next challenge but I am pleased with this loss. Probably all water weight but hey, I still am celebrating because I have halted the upward trend.

This loss is great Marney. Keep up the good work!