Options

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Cclill wrote: »
    Marney where in canada do you live?
    I think i should be canadian.

I'm reading a mystery series that I love that is set in Canada, around Quebec. It is the Chief Inspector Gamache series by author Penny Louise.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    9/04/15: 169.5
    9/12/15: 173.5
    9/18/15: 170.7
    9/26/15: 170.2
    10/02/15:169.6
    10/10/15:169.7
    10/24/15:169.5

Well, I am not setting a very good example unless the goal is "holding steady", lol.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Gayle where do you copy and paste your weigh in lust from?
    I cant do it from here.
    And i dont have time to key it all in right now

Report:
    Goal - to not succomb to plateau depression
    after last weeks new low, I havent seen even 184.8
    Trying to not let it bug me!
    10/16/15: 184 lowest so far. Im claiming it.
    10/23/15: 185.6 after lots more exercise than usual
    Paul the scientist says water is a biproduct of burning calories!
    It helps my need for logic to cling to that fact.

• Cclill
    Options
    Ha!
    That should have been "weigh in list" not "lust" :-)
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Staying in maintenance range, this week 129.6-131.0.

I'm reading "Something from the Oven: Reinventing dinner in 1950s America" (published in 2004).
    While it is simplistic to say 'I am responsible for what goes in my mouth' that is not to ignore the effects of my low thyroid (treated) or aging metabolism has on my weight. What I didn't realize till I read this book was how food choices changed so dramatically in that era.

My mom was married/set up house in 1952. Many of the topics/food items in the book I remember from her kitchen (dehydrated onions, frozen welsh rarebit, canned bacon) - though adequate she didn't like cooking that much, she'd rather be sewing. One time we were chosen as a test family for canned pudding. My sister and I had to choose the 'face' (sad to smiling) on the input form as to the flavor in the different cans. After 40+ years of my own kitchen I shudder to remember those things!

One sentence stood out:
    "Decade by decade, as the proponents of packaged-food cuisine worked tirelessly to make it the center of American cookery, they met less resistance from women who lacked the taste memory and the skills their mothers and grandmothers had brought to the kitchen."

Hope by the end of the book there is a rainbow...! At least my sons know how to cook and bake from scratch.
    It is a fascinating read - probably available in libraries.

• gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    9/04/15: 169.5
    9/12/15: 173.5
    9/18/15: 170.7
    9/26/15: 170.2
    10/02/15:169.6
    10/10/15:169.7
    10/24/15:169.5

Well, I am not setting a very good example unless the goal is "holding steady", lol.

Gayle, We could always say the goal is holding steady....I started at 174, lost a few, now back to 174.. even though this is stress, let's just blame it on the weather change..LOL
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Me too. Holding steady. Regardless of exercise or what I eat. This old computer is still holding steady too. Very, very slow and we cannot turn it off. new one is being built but not yet shipped.

Thanks for the book recommendations. It is the time of year that I am looking for books between leaf rakings.

We have a new Prime Minister, as you might have heard, and DH had his check up and he did so well on the new diet that he doesn't need to go back for 6 months and if he does as well again, they will reduce his medication. So we are at square one of reversing diabetes. But we are continuing with the diet.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Gayle and dasher-gal: Have you read any of the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley? DH and I heard the audio-versions - excellent reader Jayne Entwistle!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yay, got some new book ideas! Thanks!

Marney: Yeah, a little deja vu in Canada, huh? It has been years (lots and lots) since I have been your National Parliment Building in Ottawa, but I visited the Parliment building in Québec last year and it was beautiful. Great restaurant, too! Unfortunately, Canada is not my choice for a winter getaway. Maybe an Ottawa vacation next year.

Pam: I am getting into She Was Pretty (unfortunately, I'm caught up though). Once you can get past the lead character's over-the-top comedy, it is pretty good. Hoping lead female ends up with second male and lead male with second female. It just might happen in this one. Even the theme of the show is heading in that direction -- making heros out of second leads. Do you think that one of the reasons we like the Korean drama is this whole second lead scenario? American TV and film makers don't seem to use this formula. In our films the "supporting" actor is just that "supporting." In the Korean formula, the second lead plays a major part in a love triangle -- or in this case a quadrangle. And...often a very likeable part. Of course, when the second lead is nasty, they are usually really nasty. Even then though, they either have some redeeming characteristics or a sad background that made them that way. Anyway, for me, this formula is a big draw.

I'm with Gayle. Really struggling right now with weight loss. Can't seem to move from this plateau. But, then, I keep screwing up, too, so...only myself to blame. I'm actually hoping that once the weather turns and the gym stays open later, I will get back on track. As nice as walking outside is, I don't get as good a workout. I walk slower looking at nature and then I don't get in my bike, rowing, or stretch machine. However, practicing Tai Chi in the park will be ending soon. I have commandeered a vacant office so I can practice at lunchtime. In the meantime, please feel free to kick me in the butt if you guys see me lagging, okay?

Speaking of butts, last night at Tai Chi, we were practicing a move and the instructor said to stick my butt out more. I told him that was counterintuitive to everything that women try to do with their bodies! We spend our lives sucking in our tummies and pulling in our butts! :wink:

• Cclill
    Options
    Charlie- just read your note from treadmill of my "24 hr fitness " gym.
    Do you have similar where you live?
    Only 35$/month, and its literally open 24 hrs.
    Takes stress off the night owl.
    Stopped here after going out to dinner with friends.

• Cclill
    Options
    Also, walking uphill immediately areobic despite slow speed.
    Im lucky to have hills in town here - walked hills earlier with a student.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I belong to our great Community Center very close to home. Big fitness center. It has an indoor track which is important to me as I don't do treadmills. And a leisure pool and olympic pool. Only $284 for me a year as a senior resident. I really use it (less this year as I will explain), but is only really inconvenient in the summer with Tai Chi two times a week (I didn't take Tai Chi last year). No commercial facilities or 24-hour facilities are as close, as inexpensive, or have an indoor track and pool.

As for hills, I live in Columbus, Ohio. We have no "hills." I used to live in Pittsburgh, much different terrain, but Columbus is flat, flat, flat! From my office to our main office is a 4 story incline over a two block distance. I walk it several times a day but it isn't much of a workout as I'm too used to it and it only takes me a few minutes so no cardio/aerobic burn there (I can remember when it was an effort). We have one trail at a nearby park with a few of decent hills, but again, I'm pretty used to them so not much of a challenge. Of course, I have no incline on the indoor track either, but I make up for it in speed as it is easier to walk fast when not on a dirt trail and not enjoying the scenery.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I am so tired of flaky computers. Still waiting for our new one. However, despite the lack of logging, I am sticking to plan with exercise and eating.

I saw of photo of myself from August and I was shocked. I was not in my skinny jeans (haha) but the photo did not look like the mirror each morning. I am still way too big! I was looking at my history of weight loss and getting discouraged so I added my real starting weight before I was on MFP and felt better after because it recorded a 26 lb loss. HOWEVER, I have been fiddling with the same 10 -15 lbs for many, many months. So time to buckle down again because I am not where I should be or want to be and although frustrating, I can do better.

So I am with Charlie. I need my butt kicked. (Which I know is hard when I am not here as regularly because of the computer!) But regardless of slow computer, I am going to get this in gear!

Windy and rainy today but I am going to go for a walk.

Thinking of you Beth.
  • Cclill
    Options
    I belong to our great Community Center very close to home. Big fitness center. It has an indoor track which is important to me as I don't do treadmills. And a leisure pool and olympic pool. Only $284 for me a year as a senior resident. I really use it (less this year as I will explain), but is only really inconvenient in the summer with Tai Chi two times a week (I didn't take Tai Chi last year). No commercial facilities or 24-hour facilities are as close, as inexpensive, or have an indoor track and pool.

Wow only $284 a year! Cool!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    For Marney and Me!
    4ytakrhufd6j.jpg
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hi Guys, glad to see you are keeping on! I'm off to work and exercising my Saturday check in option. Yesterday walked for what seemed like hours at Costco, but also ate all the samples. There is even a mfp food category for Costco: "Costco trip - 300 calories"!
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    September 3 - 174.0
    September 11 - 173.6 = 0.4
    September 18 - 173.4 = 0.6
    September 25 - 173.4 = 0.6 I will take this...
    October 2 - 173.2 = 0.8
    October 9 - 173.8 = 0.2 UGH!
    October 17 - 173.8 = 0.2
    October 23 - 174.0 = 0.0 another UGH!
    October 30 - 174.0 = I will take staying the same!

Didn't do so good on this challenge. I just need to brush this off and hope for the best in next challenge.

Everyone have a good day, I am going for my Biopsy today, will let you know how it turns out.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Thanks Charlie! I giggled. Went for a walk again today. Two days in a row, the others have been taken up with leaves and some golf so I haven't been still.

Do any of you know the Flanders and Swan song about "When the gas man came to call"? I had one of those.

I am taking an online course about copying sewing patterns from existing clothing without taking them apart. My tracing material would not stay still and, after consulting the instructor, the suggestion was to starch the material. So, I did. But, I had already marked some grain lines and seam lines on the fabric. As I ironed, the marker colours came off on my new ironing board cover!!! and smudged my lines. So, I washed the cover and my fabric. After all, markers were apparently water soluafble. I thought I was so clever.

But Niagara Falls broke out in the basement as our laundry sump pump failed!!! I clean up the water on the floor with the shop vac and towels and went to bed with the dryer running. This morning we took the pump apart, located under a workbench, discovered that the float switch was broken, called everywhere but no one had one, checked the bill because the pump was replaced last May, called plumber and he will drop a new switch for us to install some time on Monday. It will be covered by warranty for which I am grateful. $100 switch. And now I am ready to starch my clean material on my clean ironing board cover again!!!! I am reluctant to start again though and the enthusiasm has sort of been lost.

I bounced up .5 lb just this morning so I am still at 166.5 but I have seen 166 and 165.5 this week. So maybe soon I will report a new number.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Sept 11: 168.5
    Sept 20: 168.5
    Sept 25: 167
    Oct 30: 166.5

Are you kidding? I truly am measuring, weighing and logging and staying under goal. I also am exercising at least 3 times a week.

Ok, I am going to cut out nuts, cheese and artificial sweeteners. Up and water and the walking.

• dasher602014
    Options
    Yeah!!!! New number on the scale this morning!