Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Did not make my goal, either. Did not hit 140. Was at 143 today.

Marney, what was the new number?

Beth, when do you get your results?
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    9/04/15: 169.5
    9/12/15: 173.5
    9/18/15: 170.7
    9/26/15: 170.2
    10/02/15:169.6
    10/10/15:169.7
    10/24/15:169.5
    10/30/15:170.7
    Yikes! Tired and stressed related eating is not helping! I ate a whole bowl of my clients peanut M&M's yesterday! Looks like you guys are doing well. As soon as I get used to my new busier schedule I will be more present and hope to get back to my starting weight (sigh) by our final weigh in for this challenge.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yayy Dasher!! (Marney?) What is the number??
  • Cclill
    Options
    Goal: keep plateau depression at bay.
    This week, Gained and lost three pounds of water!
    10/16/15: 184 lowest so far
    10/30/15: 184:2
    Plateaued two weeks
    Claiming 184.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you, Beth.

New number 165.5

The 5's are almost as good as crossing a decade!

Ate chicken wings today and stayed within my carb count but calories, not so much. Enjoyed being out with my brother and sister in law though.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    130.2 Sat. morning. That may be challenged in the coming months - we got our first cartons of Horizon Organic Eggnog at Acme today. It's my favorite.

Charlie: I treading to Twenty Again - very enjoyable - especially Producer Dimples (Lee Sang Yoon). DH and I were watching Chuno together and I saw that Angry Mom was only on Viki. It is the first time I've used that site (through the Roku) and the single commercials weren't so bad. Anyway Angry Mom was so engrossing that DH and I were totally hooked. It wasn't as fluffy as the poster would make you think. DH would rate it even above his favorite Two Weeks. Chuno seemed pretty slow after that. Then we've jumped to She Was Pretty. I saw the lead girl in Full House Take 2. It's nice to see the two girl leads as best buddies.

Yep, second lead syndrome.. I had it bad in Producers. I think that the length of kdramas allow for more nuanced development of the characters, and for all the characters. Movies seem like short stories now. Also given the crunched time of the production schedule it's amazingly well done. I imagine acting classes start with 'How to Tear Up Slowly'! Have you read the DramaBeans book Why Do Dramas Do That- Part 1?

Everyone - enjoy your extra hour of sleep tonight!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I was re-reading postings. Thanks again for the book ideas. I have them lined up on the holds list electronically.

And, Charlie and others, if there are any visits to Ottawa in your future, we are only 2.5 hours drive away and in a beautiful area of the country, especially in summer. After all, all of Toronto tries to own land here. Our cottage country is sort of like areas in the city: there are the really expensive, the expensive and the lesser expensive. We aren't in the most expensive where your neighbours are people like Goldie Hawn but our area is still very pretty. Ontario has over 250,000 lakes, not counting the great lakes that we border, and we all enjoy water or ice sports all year round.

We all seem to be holding. It does seem to be hard for our age and sex to move the weight. BUT WE WILL, LADIES!!!!!

I spoke to my SIL today about joining MFP. I hope she does. I think encouragement might help her.

I heard today that they have proven that strength training for seniors at least 2 time a week positively affects brain health. They saw faster and better cognitive function, a stoppage of plaque formation in the white brain matter and improved vascular flow in the smallest veins feeding the brain. They used MRI and CAT scans to measure. So, I am adding standups and sitdowns to my daily activity with real thought about other weight training activities.

Have a good week.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies! Happy Sunday, suppose to be nice today, better than it has been, but right now it is raining, so not sure how the weather is going to be. We are suppose to have warmer weather this week.

Thank you for all the concerns about my health. Charlie, the doctor told me that I should have the results sometime late this week. UGH! I have been stressing out, and now I have another week to do so. :( I will let everyone updated.

Hope all have a good week, and we all do well on our diets. :)
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    But Niagara Falls broke out in the basement as our laundry sump pump failed!!! I clean up the water on the floor with the shop vac and towels and went to bed with the dryer running.
    I was reminded of the time that DH went into the (unfinished, concrete floor) basement early one morning during a heavy rain. The floor had an inch of water over much of it. He was hesitant to wake me up to help since the NEW sump pump was still in the box, right next to the broken one he was suppose to replace... Well, it gave us some quality clean-up time together.

We like to give the house a present each year - this time it decided for itself. Now I'm in the basement sopping up a steady puddle under our broken water heater. The electricians came Friday to augment our panel and the hybrid water heater, replacing out propane heater, will be installed on Tuesday. I had to find a warm day since they'll need to use PVC glue and the house will need to be opened up to air out. I get sick quick with VOC vapors. Fingers crossed it holds till then, or we'll need turn it off and drain it.

• dasher602014
    Options
    MapDancer wrote: »
    We like to give the house a present each year - this time it decided for itself. Now I'm in the basement sopping up a steady puddle under our broken water heater.

You have my sympathy. This is the second time this year for the laundry pump. We replaced the water pump pressure tank last year, the water heater tank the year before that and our sump pump twice before that! And we have yet to solve the spring flood issue at the bottom of our stairs. It is at least unfinished and nothing of value is kept on the floor. But that area of the basement just seems always to under water from something breaking!

Water heater decisions are expensive given all the choice now and the wiring needed. We opted for the old style but we added a timer so we only heat water at night in lower electricity rate times.

Still looking for a time that we can give a present to the house that is an upgrade not just a replacement! But such is home ownership.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Oh help guys! My resolve is really floppy these days! Tell me what you tell yourself (your personal encouraging phrase) that helps you keep on track. I need a new mantra!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I tell myself that I really, really want to have good health and to feel fit into my old age so I can enjoy more of life. This food (inset temptation here) and/or attitude will not help me do that. I also tell myself that being down on myself and giving up will not lead to my personal best. I am better than junky food. I would help a friend so why am I treating myself as "lesser'? I also look at why. Is it sickness that put me in a funk or being down or not having a plan or not having good food in the house? Then I kick myself to get the problem fixed. I know I feel better if I eat better. I know I feel better if I exercise. So I fake until I make it.

Not exact a mantra but that is how my personal talking-to works.

Hope that helps!
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.I know i've been missing ,again.I've been having trouble with an overactive bladder and going to rehab every week for about 6 weeks and still have problems.I was put on medicine but not having good results.Now they may think it's due to the foods I eat.So they want me to write down everything I eat to see what's triggering the bladder,if that's the problem.I told them I would give them one more week to figure it out.
    In the meantime I continue gaining.I'm up to 186.5. What is wrong with me??? Why can't I gain control over food...it's just food. It's so frustrating!!I haven't even been exercising.I act like I don't care but I do.
    Pour your wisdom down on my head.
  • Cclill
    Options
    I sympathise Gayle!
    You have been working at this so hard for so long!
    I have two self-talks that help me.
    One is for when i have to go somewhere that has sugar my angry child wants to binge on.
    I prepare ahead of time by telling myself, "i can have some when im leaving"
    Postponing somehow calms my angry child, so i DO wait until im leaving.

The other self-talk is for when i forget to say that, so have sugar as soon as i get there, which starts me binging on sugar the whole evening.
    Afterward, I tell myself, "tomorrow, its back on the program.,"
    If i do get back on the program the next day, the binge doesnt show up!
    Knowing that it works for me to say it, is a comfort.
    There is such fear in bingeing.
    Hope this helps!
    Xoxox

• gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.I know i've been missing ,again.I've been having trouble with an overactive bladder and going to rehab every week for about 6 weeks and still have problems.I was put on medicine but not having good results.Now they may think it's due to the foods I eat.So they want me to write down everything I eat to see what's triggering the bladder,if that's the problem.I told them I would give them one more week to figure it out.
    In the meantime I continue gaining.I'm up to 186.5. What is wrong with me??? Why can't I gain control over food...it's just food. It's so frustrating!!I haven't even been exercising.I act like I don't care but I do.
    Pour your wisdom down on my head.

Mary, hope they find out soon. Nothing worse than the doctors not knowing test after test. I'm going through almost the same thing but with my thyroid, they found nodules, had to wait 3 weeks, had biopsy, now waiting another week for results. Like you, I'm so frustrated, haven't exercised, and sometimes I think why should I bother watching what I eat.

Hoping that we both find out our problem soon, tired of all this.....Beth :(
  • gaylebodine
    edited November 2015
    Options
    We all just need to hang in there! This is, after all, a Senior Challenge Group and seniors have to add in slower metabolism and all sorts of medical challenges. The path to improved health is a bumpy one I think--just as the weight loss path is. It think the power we have is not giving up despite the inevitable set-backs.

Beth, I'm glad that you will know soon about the nodules and how they need to be treated (or not). Mary, so sorry about your current health challenge. I know that when I feel sick it is much harder for me to get my walking in. But we do what we can. We need to start (again) doing what we know supports health (limiting unhealthy foods, drinking water, moving) as we are able.

The power of the group is being accountable--helps that someone else is encouraging you and keeping one honest. Also, this group has been full of great ideas. It's just great to not be alone on this path!

Marney, thanks for sharing you encouraging self talk. Lill, thanks for reminding me about parts of myself that sabotage my health plan because of their emotional needs. Lately I've been stressed and tired because my schedule has changed and the stress of working 15+ hours a week with seniors who are dealing with larger challenges (Alzheimer's and macular degeneration) worse than ours. When I get tired and stressed I just want to comfort myself with food (and have been). Charlie and Pam, thanks for being so consistent and steady and setting a great example for those of us who have been floundering.

Doing a protein fast today and hopefully that well help me get back on track (eggs, egg beaters, lean cheese and chicken breast).
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    "I heard today that they have proven that strength training for seniors at least 2 time a week positively affects brain health. They saw faster and better cognitive function, a stoppage of plaque formation in the white brain matter and improved vascular flow in the smallest veins feeding the brain. They used MRI and CAT scans to measure. So, I am adding standups and sitdowns to my daily activity with real thought about other weight training activities".

Marney, that is a great incentive for me to get started with that!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Mary, it is good to have you back. Please stay with us and I hope you have an answer to your health problems soon. Life in the bathroom isn't fun, I know. You can get control of food. Step one, seek support. You go girl.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    TO EVERYONE -- including me! (Okay, maybe not you, Pam, but never hurts anyone to hear it again.)

I am at 143 today. My low is 141.5. I logged a new low since September 19. That is changing right now!

We have two months before the new year. Do we want to go into 2016 weighing more than we did in 2015? Do we want to keep making excuses why we can't lose weight? (Beth, you might be able to pull that off right now with the thyroid, but I sure can't).

I'm facing it. I'm at a standstill because:

1. I'm eating too much compared to what I'm burning!
    2. I'm eating too much compared to what I'm burning!
    3. I'm eating too much compared to what I'm burning!

Not everyday, but enough that by the end of the week, there isn't a deficit. Period. End of excuses and end of doing it!

As you know, Gayle, my favorite mantra is: "Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard." I'm choosing!

1. I will log every bite and close out my log every day again. (I have gotten complacent and lazy.)
    2. I will exercise everyday again with only an occasional day off. (I will not just say that 10,000, 12,000 or 15,000 steps are enough! I need to power walk to really burn calories!)
    3. I will not give in to cravings again. (This never happened in Year One, but for some reason, after 18 months, suddenly, I love a snack!)
    4. I will come here regularly and look for all of you to kick me in the a**! Seriously. I don't need you to tell me how to do it. I know how. I need you to tell me to do it!
    5. I will renew my positive outlook about losing weight and stick with it! :)
    6. I will see 140 if it kills me and then lose the final 10 pounds from there!

300pntrwlouh.jpg

• gaylebodine
    Options
    Fantastic Charlie!!!! This challenge ends on November 6th, this Friday. Everyone please tell us how this challenge went, what you learned, etc. and then, like Charlie, talk about your goal(s) for the next challenge. It is November 6th through January 1, 2016. This is a tough challenge, in some ways, in that in includes two months where everyone brings cookies and other treats to work and there are countless opportunities to celebrate with high calorie food. However, we are experienced and health focused individuals and can get through this famously, right!?