2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,004 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a very good weekend....I did get my cardio in on Saturday, but was SUPER-tired all weekend and let my low-carbing lapse. Dumb.

But, I'll check it off as a "re-feed", lol.

Anyway, back to low-carbing it today. For me, low-carbing just means that my "belly bloat" disappears....which, is something that I want, from a silhouette perspective. Other than that, it's pretty meaningless.

Our local newspaper hi-lited a 57-year-old weight-lifter in my area. She started about 2 years ago. She is 120 lbs and can back-squat 260 lbs!! Impressive (to me)!! She knows that women don't have enough testosterone to 'bulk up' and she looks 100% athletic/normal.

I'm lifting today!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    My allergies are also driving me crazy right now! Jen, how was mudzilla? how long is that one? There is a tough mudder here and it is 10 miles. Too long for this chica!
    I got on the scale, finally, actually, I got on lots of scales and I didn't like what any of them had to say! Its hard to believe because my clothes fit ok. All I can do is what I planned. This week, lowering cals, still eating in the window and working out every other day.
    Beeps, that lifter does sound inspiring, wow!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. I think I'm friends with a lot of you so you probably saw my status but wanted to post here too because I feel like I actually know you all and feel like I need to let you personally know I'm going to take a little break on being so active on MFP. I'm not sure if I'll be logging or not, but I'll be checking news feed from time to time. I've been obsessing over my fitness and feel a little over engaged in social media in general. I had a very thought provoking weekend and need to step back, refocus and figure some things out. I'll still be active and eating healthy and hopefully drinking much less but I'm not going to be counting every calorie and minute spent working out. I'll be back; not sure when. But I think about you all regularly and hope you all have a fantastic few weeks, month, etc. XO and love from KY.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Ashley- I completely understand and respect that decision completely. It can be overwhelming to try to balance all of this with all we do in 'real life', as they say. There are many moments where I've had to pull back myself. We will be here when you get back and until then keep at it girl- you have been phenomenal with your post-pregnancy journey!!

Girls I am sorry to hear you all have the allergy/bug issues! It sucks when something slows us down when we are trying to get some momentum! I hope it all clears up for you all!!

Amy- I'm doing the LP guidelines but within a 12-8pm window. I've been finding that I actually feel crappy after having my protein shake, not sure if it's the early hours or the milk or what. But I've been feeling better WITHOUT that 'meal' so I've just been going with the flow. The scale hates me and says I'm up to 159...so I just hate it back. Keep with the plan and all will be fine. It's the one tool we keep in our little arsenal that has the power to overthrow our efforts but don't let it!! Just keep moving forward!!

Beeps-WOW! That is inspiring! Good for her! And good for you for using it as motivation to hit the weights!! Low carb seems to have that effect on a couple of us, I know Chloe mentioned it and I know it's true for myself too. Re-feed it is and back on course!

Jen-It does sound like someone (*cough, cough..YOU!*) needs to slow down! That's a lot to tackle for one person! Breath!

Things are going pretty well on my end. Sunday my calories were up more than LP's plan but not horrific, just off course. Like I mentioned in my note to Amy, I've sort of fallen back into a Leangains habit the past few days. It started with a busy morning off to football, then not feeling 100% after an AM workout and I've just felt 'better' in the mornings not having my normal protein shake. Something else (food wise) might have settled fine, but I'm feeling great and it definitely helps me meet my calorie/macro goal this way. So we'll see if this sticks. I know for me, my hunger is always at night-particularly after dinner. I've been able to end the night with some Jamie Eason Protein bars and go to bed full, hit the gym 100% and feel fine through the morning. Plus, it's helped reintroduce my green teas which with the warm weather I'd been forgoing. We'll see...my only main goals are the LP guidelines and S90 workouts as I outlined in my 2 week goals. This is just more of a going with what feels right sort of thing! :tongue: I have about a week and a half left before the end of 60 days on Supreme 90. So we'll see if that brings any progress with measurements and pictures. Lord knows the scale and my mind are telling each other very different stories!!! :laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Ashley - I think pulling back is a smart strategy - I employ it myself from time-to-time (and I'm smart, lol). I hope you still pop-in now and again and say "hi".

mama - sounds like you are doing just fine. Keep on keeping on!

I don't know that much about leangains, but I am doing a bit of reading on the website. I definitely am more HUNGRY in the evenings....but, I also feel hungry for breakfast. I don't eat a BIG breakfast, but I do eat something....my work-out isn't until lunch-time and I definitely need SOME fuel before I hit the gym!

I did get my weight-lifting in, yesterday. I think I'll go do a little bit of cardio, today, and a whole bunch of stretching, just to "feel good". My eating feels on-track.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I went out last night with 3 gf's and I had 2 corona....tasted really good - and I stayed within my calories.

Today, I lift!
  • amysj303
    Options
    weird, I know I responded yesterday but I don't see my post! I am finding it easier to stay under cals by eating in the window. Yesterday I was under and I really ate well-quiche at breakfast, pork chop and ear of corn at lunch, zucchini stuffed with lean beef and sausage, onion, tomato and some cheese too. I even had junior mints. But I worked out, so maybe I needed more, but I wasn't hungry and I didn't drink.
    Ashley, sounds reasonable, we'll miss you! I could stand to spend less time online but I have less demands on my time than a lot of you ladies:)
    Reese, I think the 10-hr window is better for women, I read that somewhere... but whatever works! I don't wake up hungry.
    I do have this drink that is fiber, vit C and probiotics. I know it is a lot of carbs but they are like the undigestible kind. I don't want to give it up when I go low carb, but it really helps me stay regular. Maybe I should just find some good probiotics, I don't know...
  • mamareese
    Options

Reese, I think the 10-hr window is better for women, I read that somewhere... but whatever works!

Yeh I did read that on the Leangains site...fast 14 eat 10. I figure if I'm hungry I always have a little wiggle room!:happy:
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Going to catch up today, I promise!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! I've been keeping up with your post, just haven't had time to post anything of my own yet this week. So still no news from the job. Kinda making me not even want it. Did find out some good things should be happening for me soon at my current job, so thats positive! Have been sticking pretty well with eating, kinda blew it on Sunday, but not too terrible and I got my workouts in.

So after reading about all of you doing your "eating windows" I think mine is about 11 hours. Usually I eat breakfast around 8 and am done eating by around 7ish, especially since I have been working out in the morning.

Ashley- we will definitely miss you, but I totally understand, I have been thinking the same thing lately!

Keep up the great work ladies!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump day!

I am having a great week!!! I have been eating decent and getting in short, but effective workouts. When I snoozed to long to get an hour workout, I just wouldn't workout. Now, I feel something is better than nothing. Yesterday, I made up my own arm/core workout and today I felt it!

Ashley, you will be greatly missed!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm going to follow your leangains trial(s) with GREAT interest, mama - that might be my next 'attempt' at nutrition/control, actually.

Amy - sounds like you are right on track, yay!

Chui - I want a FULL report - your cut is DONE, right??

Chloe - that SUCKS about new job taking sooooooooooo long. Lame. And, yes, energy-depleting. I'm glad things are working well at your current job - that should help!

kclynch - your post is AWESOME!

I had a GREAT work-out, followed by full-blown TOM. Grabbed fast food for lunch. And, just stuffed a handful of choc-almonds in my mouth right before I posted this.

Ugh. Forgive me, I seem defenseless the first day-two of TOM. Carry on....
  • amysj303
    Options
    Has anyone seen the fitness black book "Vacation Body Blueprint"?
    http://vacationbodyblueprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/VacationBodyBP.pdf

If the link doesn't work, let me know. I had to enter my email and it was sent to me. It's making me second guess my approach here. Maybe I just need to the strength training first, and get my diet under control, but still reading...
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    LOL Beeps too funny!!! Just get through the day I am sure you will be better tomorrow!

So I feel like I have my diet under control, but I have absolutely no drive when it comes to working out right now. I have been doing 3 miles a day on the treadmill or outside with a walk/ run combo. And then my own full body weighlifting 4 times a week (2 different workouts 2 times a week) I have been doing this for about 4 weeks now. And I am BORED! I don't know what to do now. I have no desire to start a DVD program. I do have a free gym membership through work to a great gym, but I can never get myself there for some reason. Ugggh I hate feeling lost like this.
  • mamareese
    Options
    Okay, I'm trying not to be frustrated because I know he means well...but here's my rant. :explode:

Last night Dan (aka the hubster) and I were talking- he thinks he wants to start P90x in the AM and still lift in the PM, he feels like he's gaining weight back but not as muscle as fat. I don't know if that's the case or not, I see him everyday but I definitely don't think that man looks fat in the least! Regardless, I mentioned my weight was back up to 159 even at a 1550ish calorie deficit. He says, 'my opinion is you need to sweat more' so I said 'people lose weight everyday WITHOUT exercise, just calorie deficit so if I have a deficit and I workout...why wouldn't I atleast maintain if not lose a little?' I had to walk away because I know he means well, and I know he's just a shoot it straight at you kinda guy but that's always his response. I've considered doing 2 a days but I feel so guilty working out when the kids are awake (I mean, once in awhile I get a random make up workout in, or a weekend workout when I know they have Dan home to play with). So I haven't followed through on the 2x a day. I wanted to keep adding on to S90 (which I do on the weekends) but I already get up at 5am to fit in S90 and am scrambling to get everyone ready and out the door without having time to catch my breath!

I don't know what to do. Part of me is frustrated because I think...maybe he's right. Part of me is frustrated because I think he thinks I just sit and watch the DVDs. Am I a little disappointed with the burns for S90-some of them...sure, like todays total body but it's mainly strength training. When I do Tabata or Cardio Challenge, it's up where I'd expect it to be. Plus, part of me is worried that I'll throw of the 'diet' part of it if I add 2 a days some days of the week because my deficit is pretty large. I know it's obviously not working. Whatever I've been doing for the past year. Like I said in a previous conversation (but I looked again yesterday), I was at the lower end of my weight range when I was merely making calorie goal-not paying attention to macros, eating Lean Cuisines and still enjoying dining out more often. Is that because of the food choices? It wasn't Insanity because I was done with that in the fall when I was at my lowest weight (aside from that LOOOOOW carb and flu bug that got me to 151).

I read Steve Troutman's new group discussions and his recommendation is 12x body weight. Which is higher than where I am now...but it is where I was at and still wasn't seeing losses. I'm frustrated! I was 158.8 this morning. I'm opening my diary back up. I closed it to make sure I was being honest and to not get flack for eating at such a deficit but maybe someone will have a thought. I'm not throwing in the towel, or changing anything. I am completing the S90 program-period. And I am giving the LP deficit program a 4 week shot. I just don't know what to think! I looked in the mirror, and even if I had taken pictures, I know there really isn't a difference. The 'feeling good' thing is just I think because I've been being consistent, not because of results.
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    Well finally heard from the company I interviewed with, and I didn't get the job. I'm actually ok with it, wasn't meant to be. But, I am happy I got the news this week rather than last because I feel like I am in a better place right now with my current job than I was 2 weeks ago, mainly due to the b***** coworker chilling out.

Mama- I am right there with ya on the frustration and not knowing what the heck to do anymore. I was reading the Steve Troutman threads yesterday too. I am going to try to look at that some more today.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Reese - I know your frustration and good luck finding what works for you, It's a long process and we're never done. As for your husband, I think it is very difficult for men to understand what it takes for women sometimes. Sure the deficit may be the same percentage but in absolute terms we have to restrict ourselves much more because of our sizes. But the serving size of ice cream or even something like a sweet potato isn't really different. I don't think, hmm, I only want half of that since I am smaller person. Plus, our bodies genetically fight to hold onto to fat. He just can't quite understand what this process is like for you, in my opinion.

On the eating windows...I did about 4 weeks on IF and I gained and didn't see progress. Now, I can't say why that was but it wasn't for me. Then I read this and decided I didn't want to go there: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/
    But plenty of women love it so who knows!

Chloe - I am sorry about the job but happy you're doing so well! And very happy your coworker is claming down!

Sorry I have been less active - I am just seriously burnt out! It's to be expected. The last 2 weeks of burn out have definitely erased a bit of my progress from the first 10 weeks but that's okay. I am doing my bod pod today then going into MAINTENANCE. I am going to let myself do whatever in terms of logging and exercise for the next week then its back to 5x exercise, logging, and moving towards clean eating. I'll take my final measurements and weigh in tomorrow!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Reese, maybe you could ask Steve Troutman? That is frustrating. I know your hub didn't mean to sound dismissive, it's an experiment, if what you're doing isn't working then you should take a break or try something else. I think you have given it a chance, understanding that changes take time when you are closer to goal. My head starts to spin when I start to read everything and it's like-eat more, no eat less, fast, don't fast, do cardio, no strength training, you can't lose fat while gaining muscle, of course you can lose fat and gain muscle, don't eat carbs/eat what you want with a deficit, fast/don't fast.
    Does anyone else see that we all go through this pattern of being excited about trying something new and thengive it chance, don't get great results and then try something else, get frustrated. I am too, nothing has really made any changes-and think about where I started! 1200 cals per day, then couch to 5k, 30DS, then Jamie Eason Live Fit Trainer, stronglifts, Spartacus, and now Orange Theory... I am this close to taking ball and going home:grumble:
    Chloe, that is a bummer about the job, but it was nice of them to let you know, and it sounds like the current job has some promise, so that's good.
    Kate-well done, and enjoy maintenance, you earned it!
  • chuisle
    Options
    Oh I forgot, one of the reasons I've been MIA is a big project finally got released yesterday...you can read me on Forbes talking about the paper: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kauffman/2012/09/12/where-high-growth-founders-go-the-answers-may-surprise-you/
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, mama, I could have written your post!! I think Chui's comment, re: mama's husband, is spot on. The testosterone men produce just leads to ALL sorts of different "weight-loss/measurement-loss" results than women. Period. It's TOUGH ON WOMEN!

My weight has gone up in the past 3 weeks, despite me doing low-carb AND lower-calorie. So, I have NO good advice to give - I don't even know what the hell works for my own body. I will say this: I think paying attention to your nutrition *is* going to be your key.....the "working out" part is kind of "smoke-and-mirrors" - and I do NOT think 2 x per day is going to, overall, create the lifestyle you want. (I smell BIG BURN-OUT....)

Chloe - sorry about the job - but glad you're at "peace". You are working out A LOT. And, it sounds like your diet is under control. Maybe just tweak your work-outs (try running backward!) to let loose a little bit?

Amy, I'm half-way through that article. I find some of his stuff pretty confusing - do you? I *do* think that *permanently* losing that last "5-10 lbs" is pretty illusory for many/most of us. I can't seem to do it! I can get there and then I pop right back up! So, maybe I can *only* get there for an "event", and nothing more. Then, I scratch my head and say, 'what's the point?? " I'd be better off working on my mental game to say, "I am exactly who I am with this 10+ lbs on my frame....it won't go away, so I'd better adjust my attitude towards it..."