2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,006 Member
    Options
    Please don't KILL ME for the post I'm about to post....

If I can get through these next few days, on a lower-calorie plan, while zig-zagging, there might be some hope.

I am COMPLETELY bummed because, one of the things that is happening is the calendar months are turning over - and the results are harder and harder to come by.

:(

When I started on NROL4W, there was a thread that showed this woman's body, which was in decent shape - and then it showed her body after 6 months of WEIGHT-TRAINING ONLY (i.e. no cardio) - and her body was in REALLY good shape.

So, that's why I started NROL4W - I thought: "in 6 months, I am going to have a body like that...."

Well, I'm nearing the end of month 5. And, my body *is* better, but it is NOT nearly as developed as I had pictured in my head. So, I'm depressed about that. It is obviously "my fault", so I accept all blame. But, in month 2, I wasn't so hard on myself - I kept thinking, "...the finish line is still 4 months away..." Same with month 3.

In month 4, I started to get REALLY worried, which is when I started thinking about this 10-week challenge. And now, in month 5, just about FULL-BLOWN PANIC is setting in.

I am *so* bummed that I'm not gonna "look like that" by the end of June. SO BUMMED.

Is *anyone* else feeling like this??

PS - I *realize* this is a lifestyle change, so whether I get there at the end of June, 2012 or whether I get there at the end of June, 2013, shouldn't matter. But, for this minute in time, IT IS MATTERING.

PPS - please give me the name of one pill that actually WILL curb my evening appetite. That's the *quick fix* that I'm looking for, today, and would be grateful for any private message in this regard....
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I'm sorry to hear you're so bummed!

First of all, focus on the positive--you said yourself, your body is better than it was when you started. It's okay to be bummed that you haven't come as far as you hoped, but the worst thing you can do is give up or do something that will counteract all the hard work you've been putting in.

I don't of any quick fixes, but I know thatin the past I've lost weight in the short term (about a pound a week) by eating a low-cal diet that's mostly fruits and veggies and and basically "clean eating." I've been sporadic about my posting on here so I don't know how your diet is generally or if you log all of your calories, but if you're having trouble with those last few inches, I'm guessing it's because of the chocolate covered almonds and any other processed foods you're eating. Use that frustration to clean up any bad habits you might still have!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Beeps! We would never kill you! Literally or figuratively :) EVERYONE hits walls and gets frustrated. You're allowed to vent and be bummed and wish you body looked differently. It sounds like while you've made progress you haven't been able to reach your expectations - a *very* common issue and I think it's exactly why more people don't lose weight successfully/get to their goals.

First, let yourself wallow a bit. It's okay! But then, focus on the positives. Think of the *wonders* these changes have done for your health and strenght - long term. Think of the progress you have made...you just lost an INCH off your waist. I kid you not, I would kill for that! My waist shrunk a measley 1.5 inches the last year+ AND It's even bigger than that now as a result of 5 weeks.

You know the answer - the timeline doesn't matter. But it *does* in that we as humans have issues working for goals years down the road, we need some now. So you don't look like that woman or what you thought - so what. I bet by next year you will. That's a long payoff but its coming.

Check my picture from memorial day last year - black bikini. Measurement wise I am truly not all that different from my current pic.. My body fat was a bit lower (2-5 percentage points), my measurements were *bit* smaller (not sure how much but my waist, like I said, lost 1.5 inches, generously) and my weight - uhhhh - I've been at 139 some this year but I stick around 142, same as the picture. ***We can't see it but its happening***
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thank you, ladies....yes, I'm *sure* it's all diet-related....which is EXACTLY why I took ownership that any "no results" moments are my own damn fault!!

But, as they say, it's usually darkest before the dawn....

Had a GREAT work-out today....used up the 2nd free session a friend gave me with her personal trainer. My last free session. So, of course, he worked me out SUPER-DUPER and now I want to CONTINUE with him. But, I'm not buying another gym membership....I have a gym membership....

So, he is checking into whether or not I can just buy PT time (I doubt it).

I would really like to meet him once-per-week, do NROL4W 2 x per week, and do some outdoor cardio 3 x per week - that would make for a GREAT SUMMER RECIPE, I figure.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...and, I'll get there when I get there, re: measurements and scale.

I guess because I'm in this 6-month-challenge (ends at the end of June, 2012) that I would REALLY like to have out-performed my expectations, not underperformed.

Oh well. I'll keep on keeping on....it's all I know how to do!!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, Beeps, that profile pic of my tummy was last year! and all my work in the last year hasn't yielded much, if any, change. I was especially discouraged with my "afters" on the Jamie Eason livefit trainer. I keep thinking I may not have the discipline to get and maintain the physique I claim to want so much. At the same time, I don't have to try very hard to look much like I look when I am trying very hard, so that REALLY discourages me!
    I seem to do better with small goals, like a vacation or a formal event. I just don't think I can get my diet dialed in enough to get body fat much lower...
    As far as a magic pill, you know there isn't one!but you know you, and maybe you find late night snacking easier to avoid when you, say, get enough protein, plan a treat for another part of the day.
    Yesterday I had a mini peanut butter cup, but you know, I resisted three cakes that were brought in for a celebration so I count that as a win:)
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Oh boy!!! Its venting time! Of course I know how you all feel. But, like I think most of us realize we do it to ourselves. Especially bc we are at those last 10 llbs or just do some fine tuning with our muscles to get where we want to be, we really have to be totally spot on with everything to really get the results we are wanting. Like I know if I gave up my weekend drinking or eating out, I would have much better results, but I really must not want it that bad bc I haven't given it up. When I feel like complaining about how I haven't lost I think back to the nights when I had wine (more than I should have), beer, dessert, and other not so good for me foods. But, stick with it, I know I am doing way better than I was a year ago, so that is an improvement!!

Doing good with my challenge so far, but I did have a piece of cheese today that was processed. No cardio sessions yet and tonight is weights and walking the dog. But, tomorrow cardio is ON!!! 500+ cals burned!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Oh Beeps!!!! I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way right now. I'm sure we have all been through something like at least once, and some of us, a little more often :wink:

When I initially lost my the weight I had put on since getting married and having 2 kids, I remember crying to my husband and asking him why was it so hard to do this?! Here I am, 4 years later and I am STILL doing this. It is still hard and I think it will always be hard. But dammit, to me it's worth it. I have learned so much about the way I eat, the way to eat, how my body reacts and what exercises to do. I am still learning and can't see myself stopping this learning. Yes, there have been many times I let the lifestyle go, but thank goodness, it hasn't been for more than a couple of months (ahem, my current situation in point). But I am back and I will continue to work on being the best me I can be.

We are here for you to support you. You have stated what area you think is keeping you from reaching your goals. Are you willing to commit, just for the next 2 weeks, to work on improving this area? Then after that, go another 2 weeks and I bet it's even easier.

Yes, we usually have higher expectations of ourselves. Maybe your current disappointment is what you need to give you that nudge to go full speed ahead. I know this past weekend, I had to borrow some clothes from a girlfriend because I wasn't comfortable in mine and nothing to pack for my trip. That was enough to wake me up, make me stop feeling sorry for myself and get my *kitten* back in gear!! I told myself "Just freaking do it!!" And now I am again and I feel GREAT!! And it's only been 3 days!!!

You have accomplished so much and I think if you really push, just a little bit harder, you will get there!!! Keep your head up, we are rooting for you!:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    You are EXACTLY right, jenomaha, that I have to bite off SMALLER chunks of time....and, THAT is what FIRST brought me to this "2-week-challenge" board....because I feel like I can do ANYTHING for "2 weeks".

As for the current board challenge, I am 100% on-track. I have eaten NO chocolate-covered almonds. And, the "urge" for them has died, so I simply have to keep that promise to myself. (My only trouble day will be upcoming TOM, but if I have enough "good" days behind me, I feel I will succeed just fine!)

There won't be ANY cheats between now and May 31st, for sure. That's only 1 week from now.

I'm pretty sure my "downfall" is on the nutrition side....I truly believe you CANNOT out-exercise a bad diet and, as improved as my diet is over, say, a year ago, there are LOTS of (small) improvements I can make. And, I'm trying those - taking that one-day-at-a-time.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I will also announce this:

I had to get weighed, yesterday, for life insurance purposes. On THAT scale, I am *officially* 15 lbs. heavier than I was 3 years ago at this time.

3 years ago I was "skinny fat". Now, I just feel like I'm "muscly fat"....which isnt' thrilling me, either.

I am determined to reduce my body fat %. That is my 2012 goal and I haven't lose sight of that goal. Re-dedication to the long-term purpose is *always* a good thing. And, that's why I'm here.....to learn about myself as I go.

And, for me, if I don't *strictly* follow a nutrition-plan, I really do myself NO favours. If I want this body fat to be reduced, I have to be in it for the long-haul - and I simply cannot permit short-term dalliances, because they mess NOT only with my body, but with my head.

So, it's still *on*....I don't know ANY other way of doing things except for aiming for self-improvement. So, that's what I continue to do!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I really think the whole small changes at a time thing is the way to go. Seriously take a look at my diary this week compared to a week last summer.....BIG TIME improvement. And I look at what I was eating last summer (stuff I craved constantly) and I don't even want it anymore. Like dark chocolate kisses were a nightly thing, now I don't even think about them.

Staying good with my challenge this week! Big time cardio in for tonight. It is ridiculously windy here today, so I am thinking a treadmill interval day. I want to try to get my speed up. Have a great day everyone....one more work day until the holiday weekend! And I get off at noon tomorrow :)
  • jenomaha
    Options
    Beeps - I messaged you...you got this :wink:

Chloe - I may follow suit and take a look at my diary from last summer...and see what I was eating :) It was super windy here yesterday but calm today...

So far this week my challenge is going great! I am right on with nutrition! I have gotten in 2 strength sessions, and 1 each of high, med and low intensity cardio. Today I have some choreography to work on, a high class and legs.

I've made some bacon, cheese and broccoli cupcakes and now I'm prepping some mini turkey meatloaf muffins (with spinach, baby bella mushrooms, cheese and onion...YUM!

Hope everyone is doing well!! I leave you with this: "It's hard to beat a person that never gives up!" I believe this about each and every one of you!!!!
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I just got caught up on logging and reading everyone's posts since my computer at home is not working. I just took some measurements since I haven't in a long time and it just so happens we have a bodyfat analyzer and measuring tape at work - I'm at the fitness studio today. Yikes! I really let myself go over the winter. I don't know what my problem is, my eating habits have been so bad. I am just hungry all the time. I also backed way off on weights and barely ran. This challenge is going to be really helpful to get me back on track. I am 4 days in and still on target.

Beeps - try not to get too discouraged, you have been doing awesome. Often as you get closer too your goals, progress tends to slow down.
  • amysj303
    Options
    Ok, I had some off topic questions.
    Beeps, you're in Canada but you always use pounds and inches, why is that? Do you convert it for us?
    Jen, what is a high class? I can think of some things...
    Chloe, I know what you mean, the changes do happen slowly and sometimes you don't realize how much healthier your habits have become. I might weigh more than I did 10 years ago when I was a smoker who ate fast food every day but I am healthier-both mentally and physically!
    Abi, you are rockin it! well, and Jen and Beeps and Chloe.
    I did not get my protein in, and looks like only two lifting sessions this week, but will get some good exercise at the cabin this weekend!
  • jenomaha
    Options
    Abigail - I think you are on the right foot. Measurements can be an eye opener and the motivation one needs! So good luck!

Amy - High - high intensity. My Zumba Gold is low, I took someone's class, that is usually moderate because I don't know their routines and my class is high, especially tonight, because I know my routines and they are a sassy bunch!! It's a real party ;)
    Where is your cabin? We are planning a trip to Colorado this summer with our boys and a visit to the Stanley Hotel for kicks, lol!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I *am* in Canada, Amy....but, the metric system didn't come to town until about grade 5 (for me) - and other than medical offices, I think "most" adults (my age??) still go by lbs./inches.

Even the younger set....the radio dj this morning was announcing a birth by one of their staff members and referred to the baby as 8.4 lbs. and 21" long.

Some things are TOO TOUGH to go metric on!
  • amysj303
    Options
    It's my friends cabin in Red Feather Lakes (closer to the Wyoming border).
    My husband and I have stayed at the Stanley Hotel and did the Ghost Tour, it's a neat old place. You know Steven King wrote the Shining while stranded there?
  • jenomaha
    Options
    Well that sounds lovely, Amy!! I want to take the kids to Breckenridge...I love it there! But my friend mentioned some place with a lodge and little cabins on a lake...that's what I want to do!

I did not realize he wrote it while stranded there! My boys and I saw the Ghost Adventures episode where they were at that hotel and we've been wanting to go since, lol! I didn't know they had a tour...even better!!

And BTW, your pigtails are adorable!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    Everyone seems to be doing really well! I don't have time to write a long post, but I hope everyone is feeling good!
    Beeps - I hope you feel better, I'm sorry you're going through a tough time :( We all get those feelings, the difference is how we push through them and I know you will get the body you want even if it takes a bit more time than you hoped!

This week has gone well so far! I've worked out everyday, even if it was only for a little bit. Monday, Tuesday & Thursday I went to Jazzercise and then Wednesday was a very short workout, but I DID workout!! I just did a 10 minute weight session at home while my dinner was cooking :) Today I will be going to the gym so that will surpass my goal of 4 days a week for working out!! My snacks have been mostly healthy, hummus & celery & crackers, so I'm happy with how it's going so far! I'm so excited for Monday to come so I can try my hand at CrossFit!! and I'm secretly hoping that I will outdo my boyfriend in class :) May or may not happen seeing as he is almost 100lbs heavier than me and can probably lift more no matter what! We shall see though!

What does everyone have planned for memorial day weekend??
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    10lbs. I'm up 10lbs today. From 151 to 161 since upping calories for NROL and following that plan. I'm about ready to throw in the towel-okay, I can't throw in the towel because then I would be even worse off. But I can't up my calories any more. I'm done with that. Forgive my b*tch. But this is where I'm at. ALL my clothes are super tight, my measurements are up, obviously the scale is up. I've got to go back to low calories and pray.

Beeps- I meant to get on to give you a nudge yesterday. My kiddo is finally back in school so I'm finally back to routine. It can be so frustrating. Alot of what Kate said is dead on (I'm sure others as well, I just haven't been back enough to completely catch up). We set short term and long term goals for ourselves and the smallest error seems equivalent to a big error. It's maddening. I'm with you. We'll push through this. We have to. We know what we want. We just have to find a way to achieve it! Keep pushing girl. We'll tackle this.