2 week challenge

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Spartacus is tough. I have only done it twice so far. 15 seconds of rest is nothing. I will do Spartacus tonight and 16 burpees.
    I just did the math and the last week of the burpee challenge I will be doing 679 burpees.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,106 Member
    Holy crap....679 burpees??!??!?!????

All with good form???!?!?!?!?!?

I am very impressed with the dedication you burpee ladies have to the challenge. It's AWESOME!!
  • Beeps2011
    I did my negative chin-ups. I used 34 lbs of "assisted" weight because I was worried about my injury. And, I did all the other exercises. By the time I was done my 10 SETS OF UNDERHANDED LAT PULL-DOWNS, my shoulder/neck/back injury was PRETTY DARNED SORE. That's right, I had to do 10 sets. Mind you, it was 10 sets of 2 reps, but still....

I *really* like Stage 6. Really.

Oh, and I *really* hate the scale. Really. I'm eating like a friggin' chicken and I'm up 1.5 lbs since last week. Um, huh????????????

What-evah.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Missed my burpees yesterday - that means 31 ugh!!!! How long are we suppose to be doing this challenge for?

About to do day 2 of Spartacus - this time I will do all 3 rounds!!!

Beeps- I understand how you feel about obsessing! I feel that way all the time. I've tried taking a break and I found myself consuming WAY to much food. But I tend to snack a lot, especially in the summer when I'm not working. If I don't track it, that snacking adds up FAST!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Hi everyone,

I had a good run yesterday and then a walk with the pup. Back felt good yesterday and today. So I am not sure what that was about on Monday, but its probably a good thing I stopped when it happened. Plan for tonight is to finish my circuit one (about half) and do circuit two of Chalean. Hopefully my boss doesn't keep me here late though, I have to walk the dog and water my flowers. It needs to rain here!

Hubby works all weekend. Which makes it way easier to stay on track. When he is around we tend to eat out and drink more. Having a big party next Saturday for our friends who are having a baby (calling is a BaByQ), so I have to prepare for the 40+ people that will be at our house.
  • amysj303
    looks like KC agreed to the Burpee challenge without getting the relevant info:happy:
    It's 100 days!!! on the 100th day, you do a hundred burpees. If you forgot the day before, that 199 burpees.
    So, maybe you saw on my profile, or maybe not, I want to change my username. I didn't realize when I chose it that it was my "handle" here, or whatever, so I think it should be Amy(something) could be Esq. for the law degree and passing the bar, but not practicing... Amywantsabs? hmm, taking suggestions.
    Chloe, glad your back is good and hope it stays that way. That is nice you can stay on track better without the hubs. Last night I drank alone and didn't even leave the house, I just really wanted a marg and then, I really wanted a corona, and another beer. I have no self control.
    Sorry about the scale, Beeps, that is so frustrating. Maybe it is the lifting-some muscle, some glycogen/water stores and all that. What happened when you took the week off on vacation-any woosh effect?
    I know my dress will look fine for the June 22 formal, so I was thinking of dieting without exercise after that. I can lower cals a lot easier when I am not working out, but I am not sure it will help flatten my belly at all, maybe I will just lose muscle. Is that a real concern?
  • Beeps2011
    kclynch, what is "spartacus", again? (Is it a DVD series?) I'm picturing you women in ancient Rome attire (think Cleopatra), with swords and shields and stuff.....horses and chariots....

Chloe - you can have all of our rain....it's so friggin' gray I just want to poke a fork into my own eye.

Amy - I like "Amywantsabs"....but, then again, i think you GOTS ABS, ALREADY.

I'm *always* concerned about muscle loss. It's a BIG pre-occupation of mine....which is why "rest weeks" seem so counter-intuitive, for me. Mind you, the week before the end of June I think I'll pound out cardio like nobody's business, lay off the weights and HOPE for the best results I can get! My 6-month-challenge is coming to an end and I HAVE to get closer to my 10 lbs. lost (than I am right now)....
  • amysj303
    bringing abs back;)
    Spartacus is a men's health workout, basically a circuit style. You do each of 10 exercises for one minute, rest 15 secs then onto the next and you go through them 3 times.
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/#ixzz1x33OHwnN

It kills me. It's what I am doing for June...KC is doing it too:happy:
  • Beeps2011
    I just read through a TON of the "over age 40" transformations on the bodybuilding.com website. These MOTIVATE me. I chose to pay attention to the women who are in my height range (5'8" - 5'9") and here is what I learned:

1. eating clean really means - measuring your food and not eating very much. These ladies FOR SURE get their protein in, but I can tell by the amount of veggies they are eating (even!) that I eat MORE than they do.

2. heavy lifting is KEY. Cardio, not so much. Most of their gym work-outs, though, took longer than 1 hour.

3. reducing body fat % CAN BE DONE!

So, this was highly INSPIRING, for me. I don't think I'm ready to "measure my food", yet. But, I am eating cleaner and cleaner and I think I'm on the right track, nutrition-wise.

Considering what I've done in 6 months, I actually *am* pretty proud of myself - many of these women were on 2-year journeys, and they had a bunch of WEIGHT to dump, FIRST, before they could really work on their overall muscular fitness. So, in some ways, I'm a bit ahead of the game.

YAY!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Did my Chalean workouts last night, was extra careful, but the back was fine!! Weird! Going to get in a good run tonight and making some burgers on the grill, I bought 96% lean ground sirloin and I will not have a bun. Although I'm sure it will be a challenge to not have cocktail while sitting outside, it is beautiful here today! But, we do need some of your rain Beeps, my grass is yellow!

I'm feeling like I need some rest also. I am thinking I may finish up Chalean, 4 weeks left after this one. And maybe do a cardio centered program like Insanity for 60 days to finish up the summer. We will see how I feel in a month. But, I can't quit logging, whenever I try that is sends me way off course. I have a feeling I will be logging for the rest of my life! I don't really mind it though.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Holy crap. I had just typed out this long response and addressed each and everyone of you fine ladies, and I mi**** a key and poof! it dissapeared. So....sorry about that. To sumarize - you're all doing great and I hope you are all feeling better - about scales, muscles, sickness, body image, goals, etc.

I have been doing well with my workouts this week. My "long" run (3.12) was pretty tough yesterday. I was feeling the heat and my elevated heartrate and feeling of onset of overheating forced me to walk some. This makes me think I need to a) shorten my run, b) treadmill it (yuck), c) walk and run d) get out earlier or e) run without the baby on weekends. I always feel if I walk during a "run" I'm cheating. Not sure why. I got my HIIT in Tuesday and I could tell I skipped last week. It was tough and I sweat like crazy. Good stuff. I plan on trying to get 2 of my 4 strength circuits in today during naptime; I've already done 1 this week. I also had another loss this week, which I was not expecting as I have been losing one week and mainting the next and this was supposed to be maintain week. Plus I indluged over the weekend so I was a little surprised. This puts me 0.5 pound from my initial goal weight (130, I'm 5'2") when I started MFP (prior to pregnancy) about 1.5 years ago. I think 127 - 130 will be my "range" as antying lower seems hard for me to maintain. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I am wondering how stopping breastfeeding will affect my weight loss. I will have to not eat tons again. That is going to suck.

Hope you're all having a great week. And having fun with those burpees..... I thought of you all while doing about 40 burpees during HIIT the other day. 100!? Holy crap.
  • Beeps2011
    Chloe, I'm really hoping that "quitting logging" won't send me off-course....I guess I'm just kind of determined to try out how I feel about what choices I'm making when I eat. Really get in touch with the FEELING. Rather than eating something and running to my BB to post it. Just accepting that eating, tasting, noshing is a GOOD part of life that I need to get back to enjoying.

Sometimes I sell myself REALLY short....I actually make VERY GOOD food choices about 90% of the time, I think. So, I need to get back to NOT brow-beating myself for the 10% - move more to a "permission-based" style of making the choices. Telling myself, "I give you permission to have that cookie" - rather than the "eeeekkkk, I had a cookie, how many calories was that?? Am I outside my macros?? How much cardio am I going to have to do to work that off???"

My negative self-talk is HORRID right now. So, it's really THAT which I am aiming to clean up!
  • Beeps2011
    Better_Balance - I saw your weight loss on the live feed....AWESOME! You really are doing very well at all of your pursuits and I'm going to take some time out to tell you "CONGRATULATIONS"! Nicely done.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Ashley- As Beep mentioned, congrats on your loss again this week. You are doing a fantastic job. Working hard and getting good results. Very happy for you! Keep it up.

Beeps- Absolutely. Sometimes we just have to step back and enjoy the choices we are making without thinking about choice, macro, calorie, net/gross, etc. I know I am looking forward to how this leaves you feeling mentally. You are right about making good choices but allowing one cookie ( or whatever it is for each of us) overshadow the other 90% of the choices we make during a day. Good luck with not logging!!

Chloe- I'm really glad to hear your back is feeling good. That's a relief. You are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to your workouts so being derailed with an injury would stink! But definitely rest up if you are feeling the need. Lord knows we've talked about how important rest weeks are even if we would prefer to overlook the importance of them.

As for me, well BLAH! :sick: I'm getting a little more than annoyed. It's like I start to feel better and then Blam...back to yuck. I had hoped to get a run in since this makes a full week of no workouts. AND I have a 5k Saturday. But that isn't happening. Hell, walking makes me want to lose my breakfast. Sorry...venting - I'm just upset that after finally putting this 5k goal into motion and friggin' TUMMY ACHE is what's holding me back.

The other downside is my weight is back up, which doesn't surprise me given my eating is either 0 or whatever sounds like something I can handle. Add in no workouts and you get +2lbs. Not overly concerned with the scale reading, just another smack upside the head. LoL.

So my goal is to get over this crap by tomorrow so I can kick *kitten* in this 5k.
  • amysj303
    Beeps, 90% is really good, in fact, I was just reading somewhere that 90% is not much different from 100%, the difference is almost imperceptible so they say 90% because most people can't do 100%.
    Ashley, congrats on being so close to goal weight, really, you are there. How many extra calories do you get for breast feeding.
    I have been trying to cut cals but haven't been successful. I am really used to eating more.
    Chloe, your burger sounds good! I have some organic ground beef in the freezer, it is not particularly lean, though.
    I only did 12 burpees last night. I was sort of spreading them out and then forgot 4 at the end, so I guess I have to do 21 today.
  • Beeps2011
    mama - sometimes resting before something like a 5k race is actually a GOOD idea....

mama - is this a tummy flu bug?? Or, are you actually feeling side-stitches or some other muscle-type soreness??

Amy - you didn't change your handle, yet!! I'm watching - because I'm REALLY CURIOUS, lol! Good luck with all those burpees....

Oh, and thank you, Amy, for the information on the diet....even 80% is probably worth it, for me, from a long-term goal perspective. When I think of how quickly Tosca Reno's husband left her life.....it makes me wonder if I'm *missing* out on some things in life for all the wrong reasons. Choosing a really clean diet, is a good thing, if it's a choice. But, when it feels *forced* - like for me when I'm forcing the choice so that a scale number reads a particular way - then I just need to step back and figure out what I REALLY WANT.

Summer is here and if I'm making good choices even 80% of the time, I'd like to cut myself some slack and enjoy my days/nights/family/friends.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    How many extra calories do you get for breast feeding.

When I first started, I set my goal to maintain, and also gave myself negative 500 calories for breastfeeding (estimated daily burn). Some days, with workout calories, I'd have 2500 or calories I could eat. Sometimes I got pretty close. So after the initial quick 20 pounds came off (wihtin a couple weeks), the pounds stopped. Once I decided to eat between 1800-2000 calories most days (I'd say typically 6 days), regardless of activity or lack of, weight started coming off and that is also enough to sustain milk supply. It's pretty awesome; it's like running 5 miles everyday. :smile: MFP gives me around 1650 cals a day to maintain as "sedentary" so I figure the math really is working out.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm really happy with the results I'm seeing. I've been really good about sticking with my workouts this month. I think switching it up but focusing on a set routine has really helped. Another thing that is helping, as silly as it sounds, is having my workouts listed on a dry erase board on my fridge with boxes to check next to each one. I'm a list person. And I love checking things off lists.

Reese, I so so so hope you feel better for your race!!

Have a great Friday all!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Morning ladies. My only 'movement' today was walking the dogs but it's 30 minutes of movement that I haven't done in a week! So I'm hoping by tomorrow all will be well. Beeps, it's definitely not muscle related. Some type of stomach issue due to it starting out like the flu and now just hanging on to me for dear life. Either way, even if I have to walk some (which I will avoid to no end) I will complete the 5k tomorrow.

Amy- Did you get in those burpees? Amazing that you are holding steady with them! Good work!

Beeps- I get where you are coming from. It takes (apparently) a lot more effort on the fitness and nutrition front to achieve what I thought I wanted to achieve. I'd like to think I'll get there eventually but some days, I just want to enjoy a good Chinese Buffet or a movie with some popcorn. Now given, I know better than to do that regularly. But I think the 80-90% where we are all at sustains us to healthy bodies, healthy minds and the ability to still enjoy some of those 'off limit' things. I'm all about enjoying my time with the kids and about balance. I just want to feel like I have that good balance and, for me, I'm still working on finding it and not going all or nothing for a few weeks, stumbling, and starting over.
  • Beeps2011
    I really hope the tummy issues leave you alone so you can go out and have a REALLY good 5K tomorrow, mama! You've worked hard towards that goal and I think it will be impressive when you get to hold your head up and say, "I did it!"

Better - I think you've done EXTREMELY well with all your post-baby stuff....you're a better woman than I, in that regard, for sure!

Yesterday was a carb-binge blow-out....I've been laying off the carbs, pretty hard, these last weeks and yesterday I just ate-and-ate-and-ate them until I was in some carb-induced-coma and felt like a pile of poo. Nice. Anyway, hopefully I got it out of my system.

I'm back to food-logging....my hiatus lasted all of 1.5 days, I think, lol. I'm going to give calorie-cycling a "go", again, because when I tried it before, it actually was working. For me, it takes A LOT more effort to try and do the calorie-cycling, than to just eat the same things (and therefore the same calories) each day. But, I'm game to give it another go....trying to approach it with the "my body is my experiment" mentality. Progress, not perfection, right??
  • Beeps2011
    PS - I'm going to go out and have some drinks, tonight, too....haven't had any alcohol for 3 weeks, or so, and even though I was going to wait until next Friday, tonight is restaurant club and, hell, I want some booze. So, I'm giving myself permission to imbibe - and enjoy!

(Thus, it might end up being a high-calorie day, today! And I'll balance it with some lower-calorie days next week...)