Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks, Cowgirl.

After reading leangains.com and rippedbody.jp, I'm inspired to do 14:10. Did it yesterday and all went great except being sick I didn't get enough cals (but I'm probably evening out from going over this week)

What I like is that the focus is on consuming a TON of protein--more fat on rest days, more carbs on the meal after your WO. And, I naturally don't like to eat until the afternoon with most of my calories falling at night. So this really works with how I naturally like to eat.

I have a bit of a problem waking up to eat something at night and I HATE it. So I'm hoping if I can eat a big meal late, it'll prevent this. If it does, that's all I need to be a believer!

Let you know how it goes :)

As for DOMS, I'm sure you are right! Although my back and shoulders are really sore right now which is great.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

... I asked, "WHat do you squat?" SHe does 20 reps with 10lbs dbs. I said, "Get under the squat bar. You're in good shape, no reason you can lift the bar." SHe didn't know what I was talking about. "The Olympic barbell, It's 45lbs. You know over in the free weight area." She goes to NYSC so I know they have a good free weight area." SHe looked at me like I'm nuts. "you want results you need to go heavy." Guess she's just not ready yet. lol

samntha - LOL. I've been noticing that even though it seems common on MFP for women to lift heavy, big lifts & use free weights, in my gym, even since I started NROLFW, I don't think I've ever once seen another woman squat in the rack. I've seen them squat in the Smith, but never with the free bar. Never. And I'm not sure I've ever seen another woman even use the 45 lb. bar for anything. No deadlifts, no rows, nothing. Which seems weird to me now that I know we should be in there, but I'm kind of glad because it means I never have to wait. ;)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    emgel - I'm glad my advice helped. :)

beeps - 55 lb. dumbells is badass! In a good way, of course.

megan - I never thought much about IF'ing. I workout around 5:00/5:30 am without eating first though. I wonder if that's similar?

cowgirl - nice job with the protein! I only get DOMS at the beginning of each stage too.

S6, W/O B2 for me today. No badass shoulders here. I did the 1-shoulder reverse lunges with a 25 lb. DB, but struggled with 25 lb. DB's for push presses. I felt a *little* better about it at the end when I saw a woman doing seated push presses with only 10 lb. DB's though. It's terrible to think that way, but I'm inherently competitive. I especially like when I see a guy doing a lift lighter than I can do, especially if he looks "muscle-y". I usually only get that treat on lat pull-downs though. ;)

Me: 6*
    NEP: 8

*I decided to count anything over 25% protein in the "me" column. I've still got some catching up to do, but I struggle on weekends. I've got to work on that.
  • mermegan
    Options

samntha - LOL. I've been noticing that even though it seems common on MFP for women to lift heavy, big lifts & use free weights, in my gym, even since I started NROLFW, I don't think I've ever once seen another woman squat in the rack. I've seen them squat in the Smith, but never with the free bar. Never. And I'm not sure I've ever seen another woman even use the 45 lb. bar for anything. No deadlifts, no rows, nothing. Which seems weird to me now that I know we should be in there, but I'm kind of glad because it means I never have to wait. ;)

So true at my gym too. The first time I've EVER seen a woman do a traditional deadlift was the other day and she was RIPPED. Low body fat, 6-pack. I thought to myself "Yeah, real women do DLs!" lol. I've seen just a few women squat in the rack but they were squatting partial, which I think is pretty common.

How's everyone feeling? Seems like many of us have been sick or sore or sleepless. Hope you ladies are coming through the other side :)
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

Today I did step ups with 20lb dumbbells! that was a big yay for me! although it def tested my grip strength (which failed me in the end).

Question: I use the oly bar for my squats and deadlifts. I can squat about 65lbs...but I have a lot of trouble balancing the bar and was wondering if this is a strength issue or a height issue. I can easily squat the 60lb barbell without balance issues so I was wonderding if the oly bar is just too long. I am only 5'1" But if it is just a strength issue I will stop whining and keep on truckin!

Thanks ladies!
  • mermegan
    Options

megan - I never thought much about IF'ing. I workout around 5:00/5:30 am without eating first though. I wonder if that's similar?

It's new to me. I've read a lot about it and heard a lot about it, but I've finally decided to take the plunge. If you're curious check out LeanGains.com and rippedbody.jp. You actually have a great workout time for IF because you can exercise fasted. So in your situation, you would work out at 5AM, then break your fast at 12PM, then have 1-2 meals before 9PM then fast. Or you could move that window up a little bit—you just keep your feeding time at 10 hours, fasting time at 14 hours.

On the site he has different scenarios on fasting/feeding windows depending on your schedule. I work out at night, so my schedule is break the fast at 1pm, have a pre-workout meal, then eat at 10pm. Then I fast from 11-1. This seems to work for me because I have a problem waking up at night and eating, ugh. So far, I've had no desire to do it (knock on wood!)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,004 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a good weekend! I am back to lifting, today....I wrenched my shoulder/back/neck injury in my sleep, but it isn't too bugg-y, so I'm going to go for it. If I work out 3 x this week and 3 x next week, I'm done Phase 2 of NROL4Abs and then I think I'll take a week off.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I was able to drag my butt out of bed this morning, after about 15 minutes of self talk! I love fall/winter, but hate the short days and no light in the morning. 7.4 done today, only 2 workouts left. I bumped my squats up since I went so light the first time, I was only able to do 8 step ups on the last set (I was DYING!!!) Those and the pusups on the other workout are killing me!!

Me - 8
    NEP - 6

Boy, I really gotta get better on my weekends. I know that's what's stalling any progress I might have.

megan - IF is fascinating to me, but seems like too much work and I don't know that I could go without breakfast. I'm starving after my morning workout. Hope it works for you.

Sam - I've also tried talking with a co-worker about lifting weights and she always complains she doesn't want any muscle showing, just wants a slim body. So basically "skinny fat" in my book. Really don't understand the menatality AT ALL!!

emgel - It's possible a shorter bar would be better for you. I think you can get the 45lb bar anywhere from 6-8 feet long.

beeps - Have a good workout!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I forgot to calculate my protein challenge - it was better over the weekend, but only because I ate more calories than I was supposed to. Blergh.

Me: 8
    NEP: 6
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jennie - yay for nearing the end of Stage 7! Make sure you've got your measuring tape and camera ready-to-go!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've decided to put a hold on my weight lifting until I lose some fat. Today I begin Insanity. it's a 2 month program and the plan is to finish it by mid December. After the craziness of the holidays and my daughter's move, I will restart NROL4Abs in January.

Getting stronger was nice but I really want to be smaller and cardio is the only way to lose it for me. I'm vain I know . I just want to be a smaller size. Jiggly thighs and butt must go and the sexy muscles I developed (hopefully) with NROL4W can shine through.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Mary - hope Insanity works for you!

I forgot to mention that last week I was able to carry a large stack (equaling about 6-7 reams of paper) of tax returns down a long flight of stairs and across the building at least 50 yards to the shipping department, in 4 inch heels no less. My arms were ready to give out, but I kept it all together. Was pretty proud of myself. The stairs were the hardest part!!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Back from camping this weekend. it was rainy but we had a lot of fun. I did not log or count all weekend. I am kind of glad to be back at it honestly.

went to the gym this morning to squeeze in a workout. the squat rack was not available and there were no oly bars available. which was a huge disappointment. I decided to go out of order until one would be available. after doing the seated rows and pushups, was able to up my weight at the rows, I decided to use the girly bar(shorter and only 39 pounds) and get my squats in because I was running short on time. I was able to get up to 54 pounds with no huge trouble. I am so excited to load it up even more next time. woohoo!

jennie-doesn't feel good when you are able to lift stuff or hold things like that. when you know that you are getting stronger. I have not been doing NROL for long but even the weight work I did before this have improved my strength hugely and weekends slinging around camping gear remind me of that. I always feel so awesome. lol

manic-I go back and forth between waiting until I lose fat myself. I have decided to go through this once at least and see where I stand when done. Good luck to you in Insanity!

I know there was more but I gotta get going. Missed my veggie pick up this weekend and she extended it for me so I need to head out for my fresh load of fall veggies. yum!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    gadenni, i finished NRoL4W and glad and proud that I finished it. It's not a fat loss program only strength per Alwyn. I went it with hopes of losing fat and did not find that out it wasn't a fat loss program until I was almost finished. BUT that's ok. At least I can pick stuff up and move it like Jennie said she did! :bigsmile: Awesome job, jennie!

Finished 26 minutes of the 41 Insanity. It's a killer.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I guess I always assumed that building muscle would help to reduce my fat in general...perhaps I have it wrong. I am definitely still going to do it, and I have seen some results with the strength training I have done in the past. I just hope to have something change. lol
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    samntha - hope you survived freight fest with all that walking

megan - best of luck with the IF. I may try this at some stage but not at the moment as my poor body has had so many changes already lately!

cowgirl - you really have this protein challenge nailed, great job!

karensoxfan - I hear you about the lack of ladies. I haven't seen a single lady use an oly bar or the Smith machine at my gym. The lady that owns the gym however is a paralympic powerlifter, so I've seen her on one of the benches pressing more weight than I could ever imagine!! (Didn't count exactly how much as I didn't want to be seen to be staring). I must take the time to chat to her one day.

emgel - I did 20lb dumbbells today too on the step ups, think we're on the same workout A4. Still struggling with my push ups though which is really frustrating me. I'm 5'6 so can't really comment about the length of the oly bar. However I would say that today was the first day I felt I had the oly bar properly balanced and in control on my squats, if that helps any.

jennie - great NSV, glad you remembered to mention it!

Beeps - hope the workout went well and that not too bugg-y thing you woke up with is now better

Manic - best of luck, hope Insanity brings the results you're seeking.

gadenni - glad you had a good camping trip. Autumn veggies...roasted..... nom nom!

I had a great workout today, everything felt great except for those pesky push ups and whilst I'm tired, I don't ache like I have done previously, so if there's no DOMS tomorrow that'll be a big yay! Bring on the 3 sets in Stage 1 RAWRR! :laugh:

Edited to add protein challenge:
    Me - 7
    NEP - 8
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manic - I'll be interested to hear how you are enjoying "insanity". Never hurts to change-it-up - so best of luck!

jennie - doing ANYTHING in 4" heels is AWESOME - never mind how STRONG you showed yourself to be! WAHOO!

gardenni - I think that building muscle DOES help with fat loss - so don't lose (all) hope. Believe it - when your measurements are going down, AND you are "strength-training" THAT IS FAT that is leaving your body, madam. PURE FAT.

jextra - glad to read you had a GREAT work-out! Those feel SO good!

I *did* get my work-out in. And, while I'm in some pain just sitting here (at my shoulder/neck/back site), it didn't affect my work-out - so that's good news. My work-out was just "okay". I can't say I hit it out of the ball park. I am feeling my legs, so obviously the break from Friday didn't help my DOMS out any.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just popping over to say I finished Stage 1 and I lost 7 lbs in the process. I have 30 more pounds to lose and can't imagine not lifting to help the process. This program works!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    wow kmsairam - CONGRATS!! that is amazing!!!

I finish Stage 1 in 2.5 weeks and will not be measuring anything until then! but fingers crossed.

BUT, today, I bested myself doing 20lb dumbbell shoulder presses and a 75lb deadlift! this is excellent for me. GRRRRRRRR

Question: does anyone have any thoughts on an appropriate number of grams of fat per day? I've been watching my carbs and upping my protein and, accordingly, my fat intake is skyrocketing. Mostly it is healthy fats (ground beef, chicken thighs, peanut butter) but I was jw if anyone had a good target for fats or had any thoughts on if it matters. I am now hitting around 130g of protein a day which is huge for me!

happy tuesday!
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hiya everyone, thought I'd make a post here, I'm starting NROLFW today :D Sat here in work with just over an hour left to go before I can hop on the bus and head to the gym and start kicking some butt :)