Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    Wow, kmsa - 7 lbs is NO JOKE! Good for you! I hope you took beginning photos and measurements, too....and taking them at the end of every month should ALSO help with motivation!

emgel - you are progressing really well - now THAT is awesome!

juncture - good luck with NROL4W - I think you'll really enjoy it and make sure you have PROPER FORM before worrying too much about going up, up, UP in your weights!

My shoulder/neck/back injury flared into FULL spasm last night....so, I didn't get much sleep. Have to decide if I'm going to have to take an "unscheduled" break from lifting.....or whether, at a minimum, I can still do my lower body since it needs the MOST work, anyway. I'm in quite a bit of pain, but haven't downed any advil, just yet. I did ice it this morning....wish I could ice it all day, but I'm at work.
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    It's the weight training that preserves that lean muscle you already have so that when you lose fat (from staying in a diet deficit), you don't end up skinny fat.

Manic: Sometimes you need to change it up--hope Insanity gives you that kick start you need. And I hope you return to the iron!

Kmsairam: Great loss during stage 1! You are doing so great on upping your weights too.

Emgel: Someone may have a different answer, but I don't worry about my fat so much *AS LONG AS* I'm under my maintenance so it is not stored as fat. I would keep protein your high priority as you're doing, and let the other numbers fall in place. I say stick with your calories goals and protein and you'll do just fine! Re: the oly bar, I'm not quite sure because I'm 5'8, but I would guess it might be a height issue. Have you experimented with a wider grip on the bar? It may just take some time to get the hang of it.

Beeps: Maybe I missed it in your post, but are just really sore in your shoulders/neck or did you pull something? Take it easy lifting upper body (about a year ago I tweaked my trap and could not lift for a while or move my head to the side) Maybe focus on lower body or deload your upper body lifts until it eases up.

Day 3 of intermittent fasting and I LOVE it. This may sound pathetic to people who don't have this problem, but for YEARS I've woken up at night (sometimes more than once) and eaten something. Many times this would push me over goal. I remember what I eat, but it's like a bad habit I couldn't stop. Well since doing IF I haven't woken up and haven't had any desire to snack at night. I cannot tell you how this feels! I hope this is the answer for me.
  • mermegan
    Options

My shoulder/neck/back injury flared into FULL spasm last night....so, I didn't get much sleep. Have to decide if I'm going to have to take an "unscheduled" break from lifting.....or whether, at a minimum, I can still do my lower body since it needs the MOST work, anyway. I'm in quite a bit of pain, but haven't downed any advil, just yet. I did ice it this morning....wish I could ice it all day, but I'm at work.

Okay, now I see! I wouldn't push it—you don't want to be taken completely out of the game if it gets worse. Take it easy and I would say go for the lower body. My 2 cents :)
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks mermegan! I am def under maintenance when I watch my carbs, and it is possible that my fat intake is really in a fine range, but those stupid red numbers on MFP really screw with my head!

Thanks for your thoughts on the oly bar! I have tried a wider grip, it is very uncomfortable and, really, my arms are so short it doesn't make that big a difference. I am going to see how using the 60lb shorter bar works for me next week. If it is significantly easier than I am going to assume this is a height issue rather than a core/balance thing. 5'8" huh? only in my wildest dreams...

no other shorties on here using the oly bar??? I dont have a problem using it for deadlifts.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    kmsairam-great loss! that is hopeful to me. :)

beeps-I hope things settle down for your shoulders. I know I am new to this but I would probably take it easy on the upper body stuff too just to make sure you don't exacerbate the issue. :(

emgel-I tend to just watch my protein and calories. As long as those are in line, and for protein even over, I think everything else tends to fall into place. Good luck with it...and I know I too hate those red numbers. I hate the green ones too though because then I feel it is all good but when I check closer realize I am too low on protein, or whatever. lol

mermegan-glad IF is working for you. sounds intriguing but not sure I could handle something like that. something to file away for a later date perhaps.

I have refigured and refigured my calories a few different times since being on MFP. I started at 1240 and wanted to kill people. haha. so I found the road map posts and refigured again to 1620. once I found NROL4W I again checked things and settled on 1720 on normal days and an extra 297 on lifting days. I was losing on 1620 so I know if I need to I can always go down there but I wanted to give my body some time at the 1720 which is pretty close to how my numbers worked out on the NROL formula. I figure if I eat at that number, get in all my protein and lift like they suggest and see no changes by the end of stage one, or see things going the opposite way, I can move down again to 1620. I really really want to do something I can maintain and I think this is going to be something I will keep up. I have tried so many other ways so many other times that I am trying to have patience and just see what happens. I wish I could wiggle my nose and have the weight fall away but I am pretty sure that won't happen. :grumble: :wink:
  • mermegan
    Options
    Thanks mermegan! I am def under maintenance when I watch my carbs, and it is possible that my fat intake is really in a fine range, but those stupid red numbers on MFP really screw with my head!

Thanks for your thoughts on the oly bar! I have tried a wider grip, it is very uncomfortable and, really, my arms are so short it doesn't make that big a difference. I am going to see how using the 60lb shorter bar works for me next week. If it is significantly easier than I am going to assume this is a height issue rather than a core/balance thing. 5'8" huh? only in my wildest dreams...

no other shorties on here using the oly bar??? I dont have a problem using it for deadlifts.

Ha, don't worry about those silly red numbers :) I manipulate their percentages every day because I cycle carbs/calories. I WISH you could put in a specific number of fat/carb/protein but alas...Is the 60lb shorter bar on a squat rack? I use the prestacked barbells for my lunges, but I can really only do 40 because I have to be able to lift it over my head and onto my shoulders. And yeah, my arms/shoulders are too weak to lift the 50 BB up and over onto my shoulders. lame!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    megan - glad the IF is working for you, that's great!!

emgel - have you changed your settings in MFP to be 40/30/30 for carbs/fat/protein? This will help you have a better idea of how many grams you should be getting. As long as their good fats, it's really not a big deal. Fat is good for you and studies have shown that more people lose weight with higher amounts of good fat in their diets.

gadenni - sounds like you have a good plan worked out for calories.

Beeps - hope your shoulder heals quickly. May be a good idea to rest it, but you could definitely do lower body work.

Got up again this morning and did the elliptical. I have to get up every morning, or I won't get up on lifting days, so cardio it is for me on days off.

Me - 9
    NEP - 6
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    (1) for those who haven't yet seen it: MFP now links with body media fit!!! i already linked mine and it is amazing.

mermegan: sadly the 60lb barbell isn't on a squat rack, it is just a barbell, so i do need to be able to lift if over my head. BUT I figure if i can do that AND squat it without a problem then my issue is DEF the oly bar...if i fall to the floor crying then it's prob just my strength lol. Btw I am so glad IF is working for you! I am always hungry so i'm an eat every 3 hours person...but it's great to find what works!

Beeps: so shame in icing at work! and pop those advil! they help!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Forgot my protein challenge numbers - I *did* get in ALL my protein yesterday - it was a GOLD star day!

I think I am :

Me: 9
    NEP: 6
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi all - great to read so many exciting updates :)

I've just done my 2nd sets of the A & B workout of Stage 2 - and they were so much easier this time round (easier as in I understood what I was doing as opposed to being physically easy!)

Thanks to whoever posted a YouTube link earlier for the front squat / push press up - after I watched that a few times I was able to do it far more confidently and just feel what worked for me balance wise. I can't get the bar to roll back on to my fingertips but it's working nevertheless and I'm going to up the weights next time (on practically everything).

A small NSV - had a check up at doctors this week and she said my blood pressure was looking good - 132/80. It's still an indicator of high blood pressure but considering that I've missed taking most of my pills lately (ooops!) I'm pretty happy. My weight is still heading downwards too - all the walking is driving that I suspect. On the not so happy side is a pelvic ultrasound on Friday for post menopausal bleeding. Just hoping that whatever has to be done is minimal so I don't lose any training time for the Oxfam 100k walk.

Have a great day everyone :) Lift hard!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    just posting thoughts.....

I have a love/hate relationship with NR. I loved being stronger and being with the big guys on that side of the gym--the love ( While smirking at the Barbies and their treadmills, ellipticals, and barbie weights.) BUT I don't have much weight to lose so I didn't see much of difference--the hate. I am not trying to bash anyone or bring your good vibes down but if you are overweight and sedentary I do believe you will see a big difference. For me, who has been the queen of the treadmill (on and off through the years) and not a stranger to weights, I didn't have a change and that just totally sucks!:grumble:

DAy 2 of insanity done. 30 minutes of the 39 completed. 4 more minutes than yesterday. I HOPE I can finish this program and get results because I'm kinda missing being at the gym.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Mary - I can totally relate. I was not sedentary at all and only had 10 lbs to lose (but 2 clothing sizes). The only changes I have had are a few inches lost and I can *see* that parts of my body are firming up, but after 6 months, I'm still in a size 10 and not getting anywhere closer to a 6. I LOVE being stronger and healthier though, so it's totally worth it. However, I will be increasing my cardio from here on out to try to get the rest of this off.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    No workout so far this week. Crappy sleep. Still. And even more school work now.

This afternoon my husband and I went mattress shopping. We bought the MacDaddy of Tempurpedics. If that puppy doesn't make me sleep, nothing will.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Congrats, jojojo - WELL DONE!

manic - I can relate to your frustration. I HEAR you. I VALIDATE your opinion! If you are enjoying "insanity" and it gets you the shape that you want, then I think that is AWESOME!

jennie - I haven't dropped a single size, myself. Which is a bummer. But, for me, returning to cardio would be a "mistake". For me, I've just decided that it is TRUE that I CANNOT out-exercise a bad diet and I am concentrating, 100%, on cleaning up the eating side of the equation. It's tough. And, I don't like it. But I am trying really, REALLY hard. I hope to have positive news to post, soon.

Jessica - I had a TERRIBLE sleep last night. Terrible. But it was ONE NIGHT. I really FEEL for you because you are just suffering it over and over, it seems. I really hope the new mattress helps!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Just popping over to say I finished Stage 1 and I lost 7 lbs in the process. I have 30 more pounds to lose and can't imagine not lifting to help the process. This program works!
    woo hoo! way to go.
    Out of curiosity, are you new to lifting?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    There goes the thread again lol.

MAniac, you're right. Most people who have "amazing results" are NEW to lifting and exercise in general...like me. I think people who regulars to the gym and exercise, the increased cardio may be a necessity. in fact I now need to increase mine now that's it's been almost a year. I'm due for a plateau, though I hope ABS will be the exact change up I need. My belly is being so stubborn though. I have to wonder how much is stubborn belly fat and how much is from have two kids.

Jojo, great job! ad I hope everything goes well with the testing.

Beeps, I hope the neck/shoulders/back feel better. I tell you, some of these "core" exercises are really tough on the back. The overhead squat is just plain painful. I really have to watch y form on that one.

Emgl (sp) sorry, great job moving up!

Gardenni, I think we've all played with our intake. I started at 1450 to lose a pound a week. Then I did the 300 deficit. Then I settled at maintenance because I was just so darn hungry all the time. Now I just go with the flow and eat when I'm hungry. If I'm under great, If Im over it;s ok..so long as it isn't everyday. Also, As I'm sure you can see from the conversation, if you have a significant amount of weight to lose, keep up the cardio, but don't go over board.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

manic - I can relate to your frustration. I HEAR you. I VALIDATE your opinion! If you are enjoying "insanity" and it gets you the shape that you want, then I think that is AWESOME!

jennie - I haven't dropped a single size, myself. Which is a bummer. But, for me, returning to cardio would be a "mistake". For me, I've just decided that it is TRUE that I CANNOT out-exercise a bad diet and I am concentrating, 100%, on cleaning up the eating side of the equation. It's tough. And, I don't like it. But I am trying really, REALLY hard. I hope to have positive news to post, soon.

i may have lost a half inch here and there but no clothing sizes dropped .

Schuler talks about calories in and calories out . He makes perfect sense and it is all stuff we know: limit fast food and processed food, eat less than you burn, increase protein and water, etc. When we go out to eat at fast food i get a side salad with my sandwich. It's like how much more can I do!!

Sam, you DID get AMAZING sexy mama results. i am so proud of you and you make me wanna puke :tongue:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I agree with manic, samntha - I think your results from NROL4W are TOTALLY AWESOME!

I think I won't lift at the gym, today....I'll just do some cardio. My shoulder/neck/back is just too sore and I think lifting wil be a mistake. I have a feeling this is going to be an "unscheduled" break from lifting. So, I'm ALREADY worried about the DOMs when I get back at it, lol.

Anyway, HAVE A GREAT DAY LADIES - GO KILL IT TODAY!
  • jenniet04
    Options
    I was up late tagging clothes for the JBF sale because drop off is today. Didn't get to bed until 12:30, so no early morning workout for me today. Will be doing yoga at noon, then packing clothes and toys to the sale this afternoon, guessing that'll be a bit of a workout. Hopefully it won't be raining!

Me - 10
    NEP - 6
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, I'm back and I'm really back this time. I have not lifted now in 4 weeks and although I know I can start Stage 2, I am intimidated by the new lifts, the new gym and all the guys. I've decided that I am going to step back to what I know just for 2 weeks, and repeat Stage 1, 7 & 8. I know me well enough to know that if I try to force myself thru the fear factor I'm going to keep postponing getting started again, and the best way to get through that for me is to repeat what I know. So tonight I lift at home, but tomorrow after work I will go to the gym, get signed up, do a little cardio and get to know the facilities/trainers better, and Saturday morning, I'll lift at the gym early (hopefully not too many folks there to watch). I feel much more confident about myself with that plan of action.

I'm back eating well after a weekend of cake, fried foods and carb overload! I have lost 3 of the 4 pounds I added during my 2 week vacation so that's a plus. But I don't even know how I did with protein since last Wednesday or Thursday, so I'm restarting that too as of yesterday.

I'm so happy to see all the successes and challenges. Each of you are so motivating to me!

kmsairam - 7 pounds!! That's awesome!

Jo, keep it up! Hopefully that BP med won't be needed at all!!

Jennie, I'm with Beeps - doing anything in 4" heels, never mind lifting all those returns - WOW!!

Mary, I've thought about Insanity too, my husband started it though I don't know if he's still doing it. He's very sensitive to my asking about his workout routine, so I generally just wait until he mentions it. Someone else from this group switched over to Insanity as well. I can't remember who it was. I would love to hear what you think and how you're feeling.

I have to keep reminding myself that my goal is to build muscle. I don't want to put on weight per se, because truly I want to convert fat to muscle, but I am really avoiding the scale because I can so obsess over that pound up and down that I do depending on the time of day etc. As many of you have said, I'm trying to focus on eating clean, and avoiding processed (though I do eat bacon and sausage in the morning). I actually prefer basic meals, rather than heavy gravies and such. If I make anything more than that, I use the meat juices and only season not thicken. Staying low carb actually helps me with this.

So glad to be back in the fold and back in a routine! I missed all of you!

So beginning my protein challenge again I was over yesterday!

Me - 1
    NEP - 0