Daily Chat Thread

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,099 Member
    Congrats, manic!!!! That scale is certainly trending (downward) in the RIGHT direction!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    GUESS WHAT!!!!!!! 149.0 :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:

SEVEN stinkin pounds gone!

Sueboo, what is VLC. I still lift. I HAVE to do cardio first or my energy is gone.

maz, I never attempted it. Lou and Alwyn said to steer clear so I did.

We are suppose to get a taste of winter next week. 28 degrees for a low. YIKES.

A super fit guy belted up and added 45 lb plate for his pull ups!!! He's a about 5'7 and lean and strong! muscles galore. I lost count and had to do my exercise over because I was blown away. LOL

Mary, VLC = very low calorie I'm not ready to do that, not sure I will ever be again truthfully!

Sue , LOL, your VLC is my maintenance :sad: AND If you don't have to then don't! You are seeing changes and that's what matters.

We all have to learn what our body requires. I have fought for almost TWO years against what I knew my body requires. I soooooo wanted to be able to eat what calculators or Lou said. Women aren't cookie cutters. One size does not fit all. The women on my dad's side are petite women. I am the tallest of them at 5'5 and was the heaviest , I was slender like them. but Never "tiny". ON my mother's side, I am the shortest and smallest in weight. Go figure LOL My metabolism leans toward that petite gene. ((sigh))

ANYWHO! Thanks all :happy: 14 more to go. Maybe another 3 months ??? It took 6 weeks to lose 7 pounds.

ETA: <--- The first of September (before I lost my 7 lbs of belly fat ) LOL. My sister (black stripes), mother (blue), me (white), and half -sister behind me. I am wearing heels. The sis behind me is heavy too. She told me one time " you might as well give up. You'll be fat just like us one day." UMMMM NO I WON'T.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Got my lifting AND 6 intervals of 30/30 HIIT done. I will be sore tomorrow. Planks, explosive push-ups, squats, bench, single leg DLs, lat pulls, and more negative/ assisted chin-ups. Then jump rope and walking lunges for my intervals.
  • RedBess
    RedBess Posts: 111 Member
    Cowgirl… your workout sort of scares me :-D. But in a good way.

Manic… awesome job on hitting the 140s! It is sad that it seems your sister has "accepted" her size as being "just how it is". Hopefully your progress and success will also be a motivation to her and others in your family. Keep it up!!

Just finished first Workout B. Feeling good. I need to up the weight on my deadliest and my lunges. I wasn't sure what to go for and with it being only 1 set of AMRAP it was more of a test day. But, I was able to do over 15 reps so I want to up the weight and bring the reps down, so I can work up to being able to do more reps with the heavier weight.

Legs and bum were a little sore yesterday from Monday"s workout but not too bad. I went out for a 6km run after work which helped work out the kinks. I need to get more protein in during the day. I will sit down tonight and really look at foods and what I can add. I just have not had time the last two days.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Maz...lol!!
    I have tried to use the Smith Machine...it seems a bit awkward, though "easy", I guess because it is "assisted"...I had read somewhere that it works the muscles differently, but the core is not involved as much, as you do not need to stabilize yourself. I try to stay away from it. The last time the squat rack was occupied, I squatted using plates :)

Sue, thanks for sharing!!

Manic, congratulations are in order! You are getting there!!!

Cowgirl, great! I hope to someday be able to do at least one full chin/pull up - unassisted :sad:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Hello had a good lifting session yesterday- and I exceeded my protein for the first time. I celebrated by watching my muscles grow! Just kidding I was really surprised
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member

lawlorka - That's awesome that you're almost done with stage 1, I think I have 5 workouts left...I've really noticed an increase in difficulty since increasing to 3 sets, but still loving (and feeling!) it!

I'm actually quite sad about finishing stage 1 - feel like I've finally gotten the hang of it and am making real gains now that I'm comfortable in the man cave!

I really noticed the strength gains when I got to 3 sets, but I also started getting the DOMS again!!!! Plus any cardio I was doing after the workout went out the window because I've been huffing and puffing after the sessions now I have no energy for even a 10min bike!!!!!

Workout B7 tonight and going to try get some real increases on the Deadlifts. I'm still on the small 5kg plates and its awkward so hopefully will move up to 10kg weights and have the bar at a manageable level shin level!!! On the upside it seems like the Stage 2 deadlifts will be ok for me as I've already been lifting at deficit!
  • Beeps2011
    manic - I really like your NEW attitude towards "food portions"....sounds to me like you *get* it. So, it doesn't matter how LONG it took for you to *get* it (it took me 4- or 5- YEARS of the "wrong" methods to find MY RIGHT ONE!), I'm just glad that you *did* get it and you are really focusing on moving the bodyfat OFF and having a beautiful shaped body emerge!

chubby - here's to hoping you will show up in 2014 here at mfp with a NEW HANDLE!! Nobody can STAND your handle, anymore, because it is just the WRONG description of "who you are"!!!!!!!!!!

RedBess - sounds like you are making progress - WONDERFUL!

bepeejaye - I use the smith machine for my push-ups. And, I guess, for my reverse push-ups. That's it!

Pmagnanifit - I rarely eat over 100g of protein in a day. Don't buy into all the "HIGHEST PROTEIN EVER" hype. Depending on your height, 75g per day is gonna get you to your goals, anyway.

Today, I lift! And, I'm sneaking in a trip to the jacuzzi right afterward! It is -27 degrees outside and, screw-it, I'm staying late at work today ANYWAY.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Mary you're doing such great things for yourself!! Congrats my friend, such a positive move on your part!!

Beeps, I'm going to have to disagree with you in part about protein. There have been several government studies and many other private studies that suggest women need more protein especially as they head into and get through menopause. I have always thought that - I know when my protein levels are higher I generally have more stamina. There's another study that suggests that taking creatine helps older people keep muscle mass/strength better. I supplement with creatine and my macros are set at 50% protein.

I loved Stage 1! I felt like such a badass doing those deads and squats. Lunges and step ups, not so much!! Congrats to all you folks taking the plunge.

Today was bench and I'm still in deload - so I did 5/45 5/50 3/60 then 5/45 5/50 5/60 for my main lift followed by 5 x 15 each of single arm DB rows @#27.5 (15 each side) DB incline @ #40 and tricep extensions @ #20. By the time I did the 5th set I was a mass of jello! Love that feeling!!

Cowgirl, I agree with Beeps - new year, new name that reflects your gains and losses and dedication!!
  • Beeps2011
    I have no problem with the conversation, suelegal, but you're going to have to "show me the government studies"!! There's all sorts of studies that say all sorts of things. Doesn't mean their sample size was large enough, that they included a broad enough subject-base, etc., etc.

I certainly don't advocate for low-ball protein!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    bepeejaye - I use the smith machine for my push-ups. And, I guess, for my reverse push-ups. That's it!

Now there's a good idea...I think I've attempted 45 degree pushups on every flat surface of appropriate height in my gym, but I'm struggeling to find somewhere that I can try lowering them a little. I shall definitely try the Smith Machine next time :)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    After viewing Cowgirl's back photos, I came directly here to tell you to CHANGE YOUR NAME!!!! You look great.

Thanks to yall. I am feeling good . It feels awesome to see the scale go down. If the saddlebags would just go down :grumble: I need to take a current pic in that same outfit to see if I look different. I know the tummy pouch will be gone .

I lifted today. Won't tomorrow. Friend having surgery so we are traveling an hour to the hospital to see him and then on to some shopping in a big city .

Lawlorka, if you are only looking for strength gains then there's no need for cardio. It will be added in the workout. Is it stage 2? Not sure. I have found that cardio before lifting is my "way" otherwise I couldn't lift a leg on a treadmill or bike.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    I missed three pages of comments in a week. Holy COw!!. Off to read what's been going on.
  • samntha14

Clam, ooooooh just wait. There will be plenty of exercises to test your balance. :tongue: But I found it great challenging myself and noticing I was doing better each time.

Oh god.... :sad: I will look like a idiot .. can see the headline now "woman kills herself falling while lunging and hitting head on weights" :bigsmile:
    This made me laugh as I was taking off my shoes in the gym last night because I kept falling on myself.
  • samntha14

Sam! Where are you!?
    AWW you missed me?! That does my heart good :blushing:
  • samntha14
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/best-diet
    Great article Alwyn posted on his FB page. What is the BEST diet?

Cardio came up in some older posts. What I've learned about cardio, it's all personal. Different bodies and different metabolisms will react differently to it. I gain (probably because I eat it back and I can't get my heart rate up high enough to get into fat burning) I try to get in at least one Zumba class a week just because it's FUN!! Doesn't really have anything to do with loosing weight or even heart health (I actually have a VERY healthy cardiovascular system. Some people LOVE to run, great, go run have fun with that. Some people love combat, wish my gym had it. Go kick some *kitten*. The NROL folks are not anti cardio anymore and promote movement because let's face people, have gotten REALLY lazy since the tech explosion.
  • samntha14
    Ok ok ok...
    So I've been crazy busy this past week, nothing specific really, but I feel like I haven't sat down in a week. Added to that my dad was in the hospital, which isn't as serious as it sounds. He had a pulmonary embolism and they sent him home in 24 hours. I actually still haven't seen him and he went in on Thursday. Needless to say, the stress is killing me added to my yucky time of month. I forget who said they just switched to an IUD and started regular cycles again. That was me two years ago. Now I HATE ovulating! The spike in hormones sets off my hypersomnia and then I fall asleep at my desk, or while driving, or on my couch for a couple days. Of course a high stress week coupled hormones not a good combo. Oh, and PS if any of your kids want to be teachers, smack them in the head. My six year old said it to me last week and pointed out that he's more suited to a creative occupation. I LOVE what I do, but I really hate my job.

Any who...on to more positive things...
    I finally got to the gym last night. I was feeling like a fat bloated POS, but damn it felt GREAT to hit the weights.
    Started Stage 3 last night. I kept the weights conservative, but it did a lot for my confidence. I even got through the BWM. My time wasn't great, but damn I got through it.
    Weights:
    1Arm snatch 20 db
    one legged BO DL (or whatever the hell it is) 20 dbs
    BOR 80lbs
    incline BP 20dbs
    one arm squat 20/10
    BWM : 3'20'', 3'50''
    Needless to say, DOMS, DA, DOMS, DOMS, DOMS! I'm walking funny today lol.

Happy Lifting ladies.
  • RedBess
    RedBess Posts: 111 Member

Needless to say, DOMS, DA, DOMS, DOMS, DOMS! I'm walking funny today lol.

Happy Lifting ladies.

This made me laugh!

No lifting for me today. Although someone forgot to let my brain know that and I was wide awake at 5am. Sigh.

I did get in a 7.5km run last night and have 11km planned for today. I am debating whether to sign up for a winter race series. It is a series of three races; 13km in December, 17km in January, and 21km (half-marathon distance) in February. I am doing good with keeping up with my running distances but worry that the weather will make it difficult to get out. There is nothing worse to me than running on the treadmill for 2 hours! I wasn't planning to do a half until the spring, but this would keep me motivated to run through the winter. Decisions, decisions.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    After viewing Cowgirl's back photos, I came directly here to tell you to CHANGE YOUR NAME!!!! You look great.

Y'all crack me up. I've changed it once already, so I'm stuck with "chubby". But thank you for the encouragement/kind comments!

Sam, I'm sorry for all the stress in your life. Hopefully you can find your groove again.

The protein comments got me thinking. I need to research it more. I know what all the lifters say, but I wonder what the actual studies say...hmmm...

Better food day today which makes me feel better. I will lift tomorrow.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Lawlorka, if you are only looking for strength gains then there's no need for cardio. It will be added in the workout. Is it stage 2? Not sure. I have found that cardio before lifting is my "way" otherwise I couldn't lift a leg on a treadmill or bike.

I'm actually trying to lose weight too and find cardio really helps me with that. My weight loss has slowed considerably since I switched out 3 days of cardio for 3 days of lifting but I don't mind because I look sooooooooo much better since I started lifting so I'll take the slower weight loss to look better at the end :)

I also have High Blood Pressure so for me all around fitness and cardiovascular health is really important to me to keep me off the pills for the rest of my life.

I did Stage 1, Workout B7 yesterday - does anyone have any tips for the Dumbbell Overhead Press? I am really really struggling with this and have stalled at 8kg dumbbells. I tried to increase it yesterday but couldn't finish the set so had to bring it back down. I'm worried this is going to be a problem with the FSPP in Stage 2 if I can't even lift the bar over my head! With all the other moves I've been able to keep increasing every session :(