Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My NROWL for Women finally arrived yesterday. I started reading it and am learning...and finding out I've been doing some of the right things.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Don't need cardio today, sledding was enough for me. Walking up that hill over and over again did the job. It freaking cold in my house. It's poorly insulated and I'm the end townhouse in a configuration that tends to create a wind tunnel. Maybe I should go to the gym and get physical to warm up, but I may just wrap myself in my quit and take a nap.

Welcome SLL

Great name Cowgirl, and I hope your brother gets well soon.

NAncy, while I'd probably be the first say screw the BWM and just do cardio, I do find the my legs a truly worked in hard core fashion after doing it. If you're doing a cardio class like Body Work, which does emphasize the different parts of the leg then yeah skip it. My Zumba instructor does one leg song with a similar number of BW reps, and it just about kills me, so on those days I feel secure skipping it. I continue to do it though, even if I run out of time and have to do it at home. Last year when I did NROL4W the first time, stage three took my about an hour 20. These days I do different abs and and need shorter rests, so I can do it in about an hour.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Thanks Samanta14

I do the ARC Trainer at least two days a week, and I jack the tension up, and the elevation so I don't have any issue with my leg strength..for sure.

My legs, and my bottom are very well defined, and muscled so not an issue with that so much...I am very weak through my upper back so I struggle with the YTWLs, but leg exercises are very easy for me.

Thank You very much for the advice :happy:
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sleepjen...am learning lot on the acronyms too! :)

Sorry, I cannot see the numbers to address each as a point :)

About the DLs on the step, I make sure I have squatted low enough so that on coming up, am clenching my erm..bottom (pardon me), and pushing from my heels...it really has worked my glutes

For the abs, I always do those from Ab Ripper X or Core Synergistics (P90X), as the ones in the book do nothing for me. I end up doing more sets of abs/variations.

For the prone cobra, when I first did it, I was in pain...my neck and shoulders hurt. Then I watched the videos, and lo and behold, it is like someone here said, it does work the lower back and erm...bottom (pardon me).

ST 2 WKT A (WEEK 2) was much better this time round, as I watched and rewatched videos about proper form. I am beginning to enjoy some exercises like the Front Squat/push press (I never thought I would), and the Wood Chop!! For the last, the videos said to lower weights and I did that - it worked as I was able to maintain the proper form of trunk rotation!

Lift on ladies!!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I did my first stage 4 workout this morning (man I did NOT miss lunges!!!).

But did anyone find that they lost strength during Stage 3? I finished Stage 2 being able to FSPP the Olympic Bar (empty). Today I couldn't even pick it up to get it in position! I had to drop down and use a 15kg fixed weight bar instead :( Felt pretty disheartening really.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    I don't think you've "lost strength"....you just haven't completed the "move" for long enough that "muscle memory" will take over. I promise, you'll be back up to your old #'s in no time.

(I go up and down in DB weight or BB weight, for most moves, all the time....)
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hello all... I posted this in the stage 2 & 4 thread as well and have not received a response yet. Can you all help me out.

I am almost done with stage 1 and had a question about stage 2 before I start it.

How long (on average) does it take you to complete these workouts? I have been going on my lunch break to work out, and wanted to know if I could legitimately fit the workouts into that time period. I have an hour lunch, but It takes me 10 or so mins to get to the gym and get ready. So, I have max 35 mins to work out.

Is it possible? or am I going to have to start waking up at the crack of dawn to work out before work?

Thanks in advance.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    THANK GAWD YOU CHANGED THAT HANDLE, BBCOWGIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:

I agree.

OK. so what is wtf? I thought it was cursing too.

Another day of "i don't wanna's ". My boobies are sore -pms.

I need some back exercises. Any ideas?

ELG, It will be tight. You'll have to shorten your rest time.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Deadlifts?

DB rows (narrow- and/or wide-)?

bent-over BB rows

pull-overs
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    wtf is swearing :)

Elgray, stage 2 workouts do take much longer than stage 1. Around an hour? I don't know that I've timed it exactly but esp if you do the intervals that are part of workout b, you're looking at some serious time. Sorry, dawn for you!
  • elgray26
    Options
    wtf is swearing :)

Elgray, stage 2 workouts do take much longer than stage 1. Around an hour? I don't know that I've timed it exactly but esp if you do the intervals that are part of workout b, you're looking at some serious time. Sorry, dawn for you!

thanks sleepy Jen.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    elgray 26- Stage 2 took me 45 min to an hour to complete, but the intervals you could do the next day if you needed to. I did not want to do that b/c it messed with my cardio days... so I just adjusted my schedule to give me that 15 min. more I needed by prepping cockpot meals for dinner (so my hubby and son could eat before I got home). I don't know what to say about lunch time workouts. I usually go after work, it helps me de-stress from my emotionally taxing job. Sorry not much help :flowerforyou:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Did 'em all but the deadlifts, Beeps. Thanks.

I did need a change up. Boredom is not my friend, and I was getting bored.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my lifting in-and-done....was VERY weird to be there on a Thursday - not my "normal" M/W/F crowd and, frankly, fewer people (which I LOVED - might have to think about HOW to get to a Sun/Tues/Thurs schedule....), but also WAY POOR FORM on most of those lifters. Way bad.
  • elgray26
    Options
    elgray 26- Stage 2 took me 45 min to an hour to complete, but the intervals you could do the next day if you needed to. I did not want to do that b/c it messed with my cardio days... so I just adjusted my schedule to give me that 15 min. more I needed by prepping cockpot meals for dinner (so my hubby and son could eat before I got home). I don't know what to say about lunch time workouts. I usually go after work, it helps me de-stress from my emotionally taxing job. Sorry not much help :flowerforyou:

Thank you. I work 2 jobs so right after my first one I go to the other one for a few hours. I normally work approx. 8am - 8pm
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options

Thank you. I work 2 jobs so right after my first one I go to the other one for a few hours. I normally work approx. 8am - 8pm

Yikes! long hours... I guess it is hard for you to fit it in! Good Luck! Way to carve out time for you! :happy:
  • elgray26
    Options

Yikes! long hours... I guess it is hard for you to fit it in! Good Luck! Way to carve out time for you! :happy:

Yea... I may have to change my days and go down to 2 w/o's a week and start going after work on my shorter days. (Tues/Thurs) I am not much of a morning person.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Elgray, those are some crazy hours. Major kudos for getting stuff done. I love your pic by the way. Looks like a great dress. ASk to your question, yeah what they said. You can cut down your time for the following stages by cutting out abs and cardio and just focussing on warming up and the lifts. Abs and cardio you can do at another time morning, before bed, whatever. Keeping down rest periods will help too, but it may effect recovery and how heavy you will be able to go.

My hip is not happy. Had an adjustment Friday, felt fine. Went sledding, tripped up the hill, hurts again. Went to zumba anyway. Felt decent jumping but hurt to stretch. getting adjusted again tomorrow. Hopefully I can lift tomorrow.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All. I had posted on the "Starting Nov 1" thread....but is there a difference (save for using a weight plate in one and DBs on the other) between the Bulgarian Split Squat and the Static Lunge Rear Foot Elevated?
  • elgray26
    Options
    Elgray, those are some crazy hours. Major kudos for getting stuff done. I love your pic by the way. Looks like a great dress. ASk to your question, yeah what they said. You can cut down your time for the following stages by cutting out abs and cardio and just focussing on warming up and the lifts. Abs and cardio you can do at another time morning, before bed, whatever. Keeping down rest periods will help too, but it may effect recovery and how heavy you will be able to go.

Thank you. Yes I might be crazy with the hours I work. One of my jobs is a desk job, so this gym thing has to happen.

Also thank you about my pic. It is from New Years!

So are you saying for Stage 2- workouts A & B... Do exercise D and E some other time during the day or alternate days?? That might work.