Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think it might be sodium related. I am not good about monitoring mine but I had Chinese food last night and I can really feel it today. If you go back through your diet i think you wil find that many days it is over 2500 and closer to 3000. This is ny no means a criticism. I haven't even been tracking mine but I can feel the diference after last night and also sushi this weekend. Probably it is a combination of that and the swelling thing related to muscle repair from the heavy lifiting. I don't think there is any science behind it but I find drinking water with lemon helps me feel better and drink more. I feel your pain regarding lack of weight loss. I loved this program but I didn't lose any weight with it. But it has definitely changed the look of my body more than lots of cardio did. Hang in there!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,005 Member
    Options
    manic, I will accept your vent - and leave it at that. I will offer no advice. (Sometimes a "vent" really, is just a vent....)

I don't know many women who lost A LOT of weight on NROL4W (here on mfp). But, the women report losing TONS of inches and losing a 'few pounds" or maybe gaining a "few pounds" - nothing that would make any effective difference (meaning: by the scale).

I think it takes A LOT of mental energy to turn one's mind AWAY from the scale to focus on your true goal - which is to change your SHAPE.

I have said this before and I will say it again - NROL4W is about changing your SHAPE. Is that what you want?? (I know it is....or you wouldn't be posting here!!) Because it *is* what you want, you need to FOLLOW THE PROGRAM - and give it the 6-months' it requires to CHANGE YOUR SHAPE.

Take those pictures!! They will tell the story....they will tell YOUR story.

Be true only to yourself. Only you matter on this journey. So, eat what you are supposed to eat. Rest when you are supposed to rest. Lift heavy with good form when you are supposed to do that.

And let your mind focus on the only moment in time which matters, which is right now. This minute.

KICK IT!!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    OH MY WORD! :noway: Every day except one day in the past 10 days, I was over sodium by as much 600 !!! No wonder I feel like I'm about to pop. Thanks for reminding me to go back and look at that.

Yeah, I am not so worried about the scale anymore. It's just I THOUGHT with the amount of calories and exercising I would lose weight. I love looking at the pics of women who have changed their body. That's what I want too. To reiterate, I thought I would lose.

Thanks for advice and letting me vent. :flowerforyou:
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    MamaWannaRun - I was exclusively running a couple of years ago..... Personally, I think it is better to just do the strength training, with some HIIT, but when I'm "on my own" with workouts, I tend to lose focus and motivation a little unless I am doing the runs that I love so much. I would encourage you to set some goals with exercise and diet and try them for 4-6 weeks, take measurements and before/after shots, then reevaluate and adjust.

Thanks for the replies.
    I have set goals and been monitoring my BMI, measurements, and every bite of food that goes into my mouth since Feb. 12. My BMI is down 2%, my weight is down 26 pounds and yes, I have lost many inches. Oh, I'm 47. HW = 179, CW= 153, GW = 125.
    Size 2 (or i have a ton of clothes to give away).

I love running (in a love/hate sort of way) and I have always been a big believer in weight lifting and spent some time with a trainer (a few years back) to learn how to better push and develop myself. Then, I moved two years ago and it all stopped and I quickly added a whopping 50 pounds. not like me at all! Until January, I finally woke up and brought out the scale. I was mortified and KNEW I had to make changes or it was going to be a long, ugly road into my old age.

My exercise goals are to to the NROLFW for the duration (I'm good at finishing projects, especially since I use a log and calendar) and I will continue to run at least 3 days a week as I honestly cannot fathom the idea of not running, like you, I NEED IT. I am just fine with the strength training being 'not perfectly as described' but I will carefully watch to see if the running is hindering me too much. At this point, I figure it will take 6 months to finish up the NR program and I am ready for it!

Also, you are right. I'm getting faster with my strength! I LOVE THIS!

If anyone else has thoughts or suggestions on integrating running, etc. with NR, I'd love to hear them!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on strength training and doing 30DS (daily, with maybe one day off a week from JM?). I just started with free weights last sat, but I am in the middle of the 30DS, which I do at least 6 days/week. I am right now focusing mainly on my core and biceps, because those are all I know right now :)....I am only using about 5-8 lbs on JM....a bit more at the gym. I am looking to start this NROLFW program once I get more comfortable with the weight room and the equipment. But I do plan to continue the basics I've learned this past week every other day.

wmass- i don't think anyone responded to you here, and i've been slacking for a couple of days so i'll jump in!

I don't believe there is any way you can do the full 6 day Jillian program in tandem with NR, the lifting just takes too much out of you. The book also advises against excessive cardio (and Jillian progs ARE cardio) while doing the heavy lifting. I would suggest finishing up what you're doing first, then turn your attention to NR. You'll still be able to do some cardio on your off days, but see how you feel.

I'm feeling like a few others of you just mentioned- I cope better when I lift every 3 days, not every other day. But then stage 4 is pretty full-on, and annoyingly time consuming. So I'll carry on doing that.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    OK! I will stop my whining for the day. I ordered Body Media Fit from Amazon. It should be here by next week.

Ladies, thanks for the support. If it wasn't for yall letting me vent or giving me the encouragement I would have given up months ago.

Also, I apologize to the ladies who do not get a response. I usually don't know the answer and looking for those answers myself.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    @manic - oh, you've just done what I wanted to do - you've ordered a BMF device! I couldn't justify it to myself as I already have a fitbit, but I will be very, very interested to see what it comes up with for you. Please do update us once you've got it going.

As to the cardio debate, I'm still doing cardio and not finding it problematic. I don't do much (if any) on lifting days, but I do a fair bit of relatively gentle stuff on non-lifting days. The way I see it is that I'm not only here for aesthetic reasons (although don't get me wrong, I'm still longing for the goddess look) - I'm here for a healthy heart and lungs too. For me 6 months is way too big a chunk out of my life to stop all the good CV work I've been doing. And that's before we even take cardio as a stress release into account. Sometimes I need to just thrash out the problems of the day on the bike. I seem to remember the author saying 'do it if you must', rather than 'don't do it at all', and I think I must!
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey lovely ladies! Hope everyone is having a fab Tuesday! Its rest week for me before I start stage 2 - I'm super excited! I will do cardio at least 3-4 times this week including some running intervals. I'm cleaning up my eating for Stage 2 and hoping for some big results in how my body looks!

C ya all!
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am confused how many lunges I am supposed to do and how many step ups. Stage 1 B4 Step ups do I do 12 with the right leg wait 60 seconds 12 with the left wait 60 seconds prone jackknife and then repeat? Same type of thing for lunges?
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I am confused how many lunges I am supposed to do and how many step ups. Stage 1 B4 Step ups do I do 12 with the right leg wait 60 seconds 12 with the left wait 60 seconds prone jackknife and then repeat? Same type of thing for lunges?

Yes, except you don't have to wait 60 seconds before switching legs on the step ups and lunges unless you need to.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Well stated Missmaggie!

Manic, I got the BMF at the end of March. I was lucky to get it on a Groupon sale but even at full price for me it is worth the peace of mind just knowing what I really am doing, how to eat accordingly and trust my body's signals. I finally got my hunger under control and stopped obsessing over whether I should be eating more or less. It was a great gift to myself. Well, from my in-laws since I bought it with birthday money!

Hope Tuesday is treating everyone well!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,005 Member
    Options
    I totally want a body fat % calculator, too.....I was kind of going to treat myself to one for Mother's Day. I did not. It *is* on my wish-list and I'll get around to shopping for one eventually.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I want something. A heart rate monitor, a Fit Bit, a BMF.... I WANT TOYS!!! :laugh: Wish we could pass them around.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi Manic, I got a BMF about a month ago and it basically confirmed all the online calculators I didn't believe--they were all pretty much spot-on estimating my TDEE. Now, according to the BMF I've been eating at least 500 cal deficit since I started this whole weight loss/body recomp effort, and I sure as heck haven't lost a lb. a week (500x7+3500 cals=1 lb.). So not sure what gives--maybe I'm underestimating my intake, maybe my body just really doesn't want to give up those last 10 lbs. But, I am losing...slowly. Very slowly!

Anyway...

Knowing what I'm really burning (within a 10% margin of error) has really helped my peace of mind, gives me the power to adjust when and if I want to. And, it also motivates me to move more. I walk around a lot more and sort of look forward to doing high-effort chores like gardening, because it feels worth it for the calorie burn.

I'm not sure how I'll handle wearing the armband this summer. It's fine under long-sleeved shirts, even at work, but it's not really appropriate with short sleeved shirts/dresses where I work...and casually, not sure I want a BMF tan this summer! But, once you have a couple of weeks of averages, you kind of know what you're working with anyway. I guess that's why there are so many used BMFs on eBay.

Anyway, I hope you like it!

p.s. There are all kinds of things the BMF doesn't monitor well--like the elliptical, and the exercise bike. You have to move it to your leg, and it still never really gives full credit for calories burned on the elliptical. Strength training also--not sure it estimates the cals quite right. It loves the treadmill though! I figure it's close enough once everything averages out.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Felt so good to get back to the gym last night, and stage 3 is AWESOME! One good thing about inadvertently taking a week off is that all the extra water in my body drained out finally and the scale moved down.

I have a polar fit HRM with chest strap. Doesn't tell me calories burned, I have to use the online calculator based on average hear rate, but it was inexpensive, retails for $80 USD but I got mine discounted. I really want to know my BF%.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I ordered the Body Media for $99 from Amazon BUT only ended up paying $63. I do Swagbucks (website that pays to use their search engine and such) and by doing that I earn Amazon gift cards. I had $36 saved up after buying Melatonin and dish detergent. :smile:

I'm excited and can't wait to get it.

Thanks Dandelion for the information.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    awesome deal Maniac! I need to get on board with swag and ebates.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    p.s. There are all kinds of things the BMF doesn't monitor well--like the elliptical, and the exercise bike. You have to move it to your leg, and it still never really gives full credit for calories burned on the elliptical. Strength training also--not sure it estimates the cals quite right. It loves the treadmill though! I figure it's close enough once everything averages out.

That's interesting. This is the problem with the fitbit, which is basically a pedometer, but I thought the BMF was different - I thought it took other things into account like body temperature etc. Is that not the case?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So I've dropped 5% BodyFit since starting NROLFW. I started three months ago Is this good? I'm clueless with this stuff!
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I need to whine and want advice.

I fluctuate 3 lbs. That is fine. Today I feel like if pricked with a needle I would explode. My face and extremities feel like I will explode at any moment. WHY am I retaining so much water? I am drinking 8-10 cups a day.

AND why am I not losing? I read on here women are losing about a few pounds on this program. My average caloric intake is 1500 calories. I know everyone will ask "how are your clothes fitting? measurements?" I can't imagine an average of 1500 calories is maintaining my weight. My choices of food maybe?

I think I need a bodymedia to track my TDEE. You think my metabolism is super low?

ANY thoughts would be appreciated.

Girl there are days I feel just like that, but luckily not often. Your metabolism could be super slow, but you won't know this unless you have a test run or buy a bodymedia. You could try doing a reset (eating at maintenance for a couple weeks) then try again. Here is a NROL4W excel doc that might help you. Good Luck!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8OgAuIMlsG-TDRKd192c1A1Mkk

Thanks for the spreadsheet! I had made my own but yours is nicer